Big Nvidia announcement scheduled for March 3

Nvidia is cooking up something big for this year’s Game Developers Conference.

The company has sent out invitations for an event on March 3, the second day of GDC. The invites are from Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang, and they read:

I would like to invite you to attend a very special event on March 3rd.

I look forward to seeing you there.

The event will unfold at the Nob Hill Masonic Center in San Francisco, a few blocks away from the Moscone Center where GDC is taking place.

Five years sounds like the length of a design cycle for a new GPU. Coincidentally, we’ve seen unofficial reports about the company’s “big Maxwell” chip, the GM200, which has been spotted on a video card with 12GB of RAM. Hmm. I’m not sure a new high-end GPU would qualify as future-redefining, but it’d be nice to see nonetheless.

The event could also be about a Shield Tablet refresh. There have been whispers about a new version of the device powered by Nvidia’s Tegra X1 chip, which was announced last month at CES. The new silicon would offer more horsepower for Android games, and users would presumably still be able to stream games from desktop PCs.

• BIF

In addition to CUDA, OpenCL is coming for their drivers and cards. And for folding, I get to choose which one is employed.

At least that’s what I’ve been whining about for the last 5 years.

I very badly want to get the performance that OpenCL gives for F@H and also be able to use Octane for 3d rendering, without having to buy a card from each manufacturer.

If Nvidia would make this happen, then my next card would be a Geforce. But at the same time, I think that would be the final death knell for AMD.

• tipoo

A little birdie just talked with Nvidia Russia reps. And they unintentionally let it slip. Guys, the event mostly will be about Tegra being integrated into Android TVs. It’s a huge deal for NV as they enter console market in a way no one really expected – they’re gonna make almost every Smart TV of their partners a Shield console basically.

If mr Jen-Hsun foresaw this and this was a reason they weren’t interested in low margin consoles – I’m pretty impressed.

• auxy

This sounds likely, and is exactly what I was saying — something no one cares about. (‘ω’)

• September

Let’s hope they include a spot to plug a GTX980M module into everyone of those TV’s and run a Steam Box in them…

• tipoo

They’re more interested in pushing Geforce Grid no doubt.

• tipoo

Psst – called it!

• Wild Thing

JHH says its going to “redefine the future of gaming”.
    Unless he wants to look silly it’s going to have to be something BIG.
    This I gotta see…

• Terra_Nocuus

A new version of 3D vision, maybe, with their “Near-Eye Light Field Displays” tech?

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deI1IzbveEQ<]NVIDIA's Light-field Glasses Prototype demo @ Siggraph 2013[/url<] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hLzESOf8SE<]Douglas Lanman (NVidia) - Light Field Displays at AWE2014[/url<]

• rauelius

I’m going to hazard a guess that nVidia is going to get into the SSD and Memory market.

• Pax-UX

My guess would be cloud gaming to smart devices (any make) put primarily Agents of SHIELD. That’s the only thing right now that would actually change how we game. VR head set, yeah whatever we don’t need even more of these things. Lastly a new SHIELD device, if that’s what it is yawn!

They need publisher support for native games under SHIELD, the platform isn’t all that good without games.

• Laykun

Nvidia have finally finished their motherboard chipset for first Gen i7 processors with native sli support!

• kvndoom

Let me guess- a new Xbone app for Windows 10.

Oh wait, wrong company.

• Deanjo

[quote<]More than 5 years in the making, what I want to share with you will redefine the future of gaming.[/quote<] Force feedback underwear.

• Stochastic

That sounds frightening…and painful.

• gigafinger

Depends on the game you are playing. Unintentional pun…

• Ninjitsu

Yeah, could be used for sexy times too.

• K-L-Waster

Lets get Phys-X-ical?

(Yeah, that deserves some down votes…)

• orik

3DVision 3. March 3rd.

• DeadOfKnight

G-Sync 2.0? They’ve stated that there is some other stuff that is possible for them to do with the G-Sync chip in monitors that has yet to be taken advantage of. Now with the launch of FreeSync, they might just be announcing future plans to try and one-up the competition and provide some kind of value for spending more. My guess is a simultaneous combination of variable refresh and lightboost which has been hinted at as a possibility by John Carmack and others. Maybe they’ve also found a less expensive way to produce the chip to lower the cost of entry.

Then again, it could just be the official announcement of mobile G-Sync which we already know is coming. At any rate, I highly doubt that any hardware will “redefine the future of gaming”. Anything hardware related will be outdone in a couple years, so it’s probably something more persistent. Or maybe I’m just giving Jensen too much credit by thinking this isn’t the same overhyped nonsense we’re all used to hearing.

• Stochastic

As awesome as adaptive Vsync is, I don’t think they would make some huge announcement for a technology that will remain niche for some time. Whatever this is, it’s something Nvidia is hoping will open up a new revenue stream for them.

• TAViX

It’s an Console made to compete with Piss4 and Xbone. Just look at their promotional flyer for tips 😉

[url<]http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/nexus2cee_invite.png[/url<]

• Stochastic

That actually seems really likely. An Ouya-type device, except not terrible hopefully. Saying this is going to “redefine the future of gaming” makes me think it could be something even more ambitious, unless that’s just marketing hyperbole. Could there be some sort of tie-in with VR?

• VincentHanna

A new generation of Smart-TVs and tegra add-ons that offer Nvidia servers up to gamers to achieve the dream. 1400p + @60fps w/ low latency and a decent selection of Games with minimal investment?

Compatible with, or even bundled with shield, perhaps? Nvidia, Sony and MSFT have all hinted that streaming services are the future.

• September

I like the idea of a VR competitor to Occulus Rift.

• Ninjitsu

I don’t want to miss the celebration at 8pm!

• ThorAxe

Probably something to do with DirectX 12.

• Stochastic

Doubt it. We’ll have to wait for GDC for that.

• willmore

My prediction:

A new GPU architecture and changed to CUDA or a new software environment for it.

September 2009 was the introduction of Fermi.

• jdaven

Pfft. This is an easy one. Third month on the third day in 2015. 15/5 =3 (five years in the making).

Half-life 3 confirmed.

• NovusBogus

Given the venue and choice of words, it’s probably either a new API or a Tegra X1 powered gaming device–something that needs developers-developers-developers in order to succeed.

• Stochastic

Seems like a reasonable prediction. Maybe a Steam Machine type device? Will it use Android or Nvidia’s own closed App store?

• Krogoth

Pascal or another gimmicky platform like “Shield”.

It could still be an early launch of big Maxwell onto the gaming marketing in anticipation of AMD’s 3xx series. Nvidia marketing drones are just hyping it up to “redefine” gaming for the next five years.

It might be “G-Sync 2” which removes the silly custom hardware and just requires DP 1.2a or newer. 😉

• HisDivineOrder

Calling it “G-Sync 2” is too easy.

Portworks?
      Frameworks?
      Syncworks?

• Ninjitsu

Haha, “Frameworks”, nice name.

• Krogoth

How about 3dfx? 😉

• rpsgc

N-Sync.

• jjj

One more thing is certain now, it’s Tegra related , in their post results call they mentioned gaming news soon when they were talking about Tegra.

• bittermann

Whatever it is will be proprietary and expensive. Go Nvidia 😐

• krazyredboy

This sounds like something I was involved with, in 2004. I went to SF for PDXLan and NVIDIA had their huge unveiling of the 6800 series. Much like is stated in the above article, they seem to stick to their 5 year plans.

If it is a release and it is the same as what I experienced, I wouldn’t doubt that they’d have a fully operational battlestation…er…video card, ready to go for people to see and possibly use.

Being as MWC also starts on March 2, my guess is anything mobile will be released there. I’m almost positive this is PC-specific

• sschaem

My understanding is that “big-maxell” is not for gaming since its using resource to maximize double precision compute.

And 8GB cards are ‘plenty’ a Compute centric card with an extra 4GB is not “future gaming redefining”

Same goes with faster mobile SoC , or faster/bigger anything. more of the same is not redefining.

One possibility is that nvidia decided to ‘breakup; the rasterizing pipeline, and like Imagination, include dedicated HW for operation like ray/volume processing.
    This might come with some side GP programmable cores, leveraging their CPU designs.

So the first true desktop GPU that include general purpose compute cores + all the side accelerations.

• Deanjo

[quote<]My understanding is that "big-maxell" is not for gaming since its using resource to maximize double precision compute.[/quote<] FWIW: WCCFtech: Nvidia GM200 is down on FP64 performance alleges report They seem to say the exact opposite.

• tipoo

The Titan started out the same way though, it’s a non-cut down workstation card, just without ECC memory, and slapped with consumer branding (and morbidly high end consumer pricing- which leads some pro users to buy a gaming card for their development work instead of Quadros)

• VincentHanna

[quote<]My understanding is that "big-maxell" is not for gaming since its using resource to maximize double precision compute.[/quote<] Big-Maxwell is for whatever the demand for it says that it's for.

• Mat3

Their own console to compete with Sony and MS..

GeForce support for hardware H.264 decoding so you can stream from your Xbox to your PC without any CPU involvement. :p

• puppetworx

Steam-streaming box?

• September

Steam gaming box! Dual (or 8 core) Denver CPU with GM200 GPU in a console form-factor or GTFO!!!

• NTMBK

Okay, this may sound crazy, but what if it ACTUALLY IS Half Life 3? Valve have been happy porting games to Tegra, it helps them push OpenGL and Linux gaming… Steam for Android with HL3?

• Platedslicer

You’re right, it does sound crazy.

Isn’t that what we should encourage? Crazy speculation?

• sweatshopking

Half life three has been dnf’d. It will never be up to expectations. Give up on it.

• NTMBK

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs[/url<]

• Duck

I will hear no more lies from you, heathen!

• Stochastic

It’s been more than five years in the making.

Also, this: [url<]http://youtu.be/i2NKOjYOuGQ[/url<]

• Wildchild

[quote<]More than 5 years in the making, what I want to share with you will redefine the future of gaming.[/quote<] The end of Nvidia's proprietary BS is coming!!!

• Vergil

5 years in the making, eh? What could it be, I wonder. They’ve been working on since 2010…
    Something that supposedly will redefine the future of gaming… I really want it to be something cool, but have to keep fingers crossed.

• auxy

The bigger the language for the announcement, the smaller the announcement — in my experience. This will probly be something really pointless and stupid like that NVLink thing they announced. Basically, I’m expecting it to be something no one cares about.

[sub<][i<]edit: link redacted because of censorship[/i<][/sub<]

• Ninjitsu

Yeah I’m not sure now, either. March is usually when they’ve released GXy10/GXy00 parts, so I’m not sure what else this could be. Hopefully something related to PC gaming.

What if they surprise us all with HBM? Can’t let AMD have too much fun, can they now. :/

• the

I’d love for them to adopt HBM/HMC soon but their road maps pointed toward Pascal/ Volta supporting these. That is in the 2016 time frame.

If the March 3rd announcement doesn’t include a chip using HBM/HMC, then we’ll be getting a road map update at the end of March that’d indicate when to expect them.

• slaimus

My bet is probably just DX12/GLnext

• USAFTW

Could it be a new Tegra ch, labeled in the slide decks as a 256-core mobile hyper-doubled edition super chips that beats the Apple A8X in graphics and is the same perf., perhaps a bit slower in the CPU department with morenthan twice the number of CPU cores and is not going to have a Denver variant because it’s probably canned and uses 4 times as much energy?
    Oh wait… They did that.

• GrimDanfango

I’d hope it might be something Oculus/general-VR related, but who knows. Some furthering of their “VR-Direct” development would be interesting.

I’ll reserve my excitement for now, as it probably will just be a faster something or a new application of something that nobody really needed.

• jessterman21

Give me a GTX 960Ti or GTFO

• HisDivineOrder

“More than five years in the making…”

Sounds like they’re taking GRID into the mainstream.

• yakapo

Netflix of gaming built in to your TV. This will be a huge moneymaker. people who never buy consoles will make use of this. Low cost of entry.

• maxxcool

“”More than 5 years in the making, what I want to share with you will redefine the future of gaming.

We are Buying AMD … “”

/smirk and troll/

• K-L-Waster

You mean they’re tired of being profitable? 😛

• The Egg

They’re updating the Shield with state of the art motion sensors, so you can play a digital version of the ball-in-cup game at 4k with 3D glasses.

• ronch

Stay tuned for an AMD announcement urging fans to crash Nvidia’s party again.

• torquer

Stay tuned for an AMD announcement about making money. Oh wait.

• yakapo

I own a gtx970, but I want AMD to succeed. Competition is good for the consumer.

• ronch

If I had a dollar every….

• torquer

I agree – I say it all the time. A strong competitive AMD makes everyone better. It means better AMD products for those that prefer them and better Intel/Nvidia products for everyone else.

I’m angry at AMD for their poor performance. They did so well for a few years and then fell victim to complacency, poor management, poor designs, and poor decisions. Just think of how much better off we’d be if Intel and AMD were trading blows at the high end like they were doing in the Athlon 64 days.

• HisDivineOrder

May want to buckle in. It’s gonna be a long, long wait.

• jihadjoe

That went well.

• BiffStroganoffsky

A new Dawn…in 4K.

• smilingcrow

Maybe they’ve looked down the back off all the office sofas and found all those orphaned 512MB memory chips!

• Neutronbeam

Half-Life 3? Cubs will win the World Series this year? Star Wars VII won’t suck? I am standing here beside myself with anticipation.

• jjj

I am afraid it might just be G-Sync for laptops and nothing more.
    Any mobile device would belong at MWC not in SF and it can’t be just a GPU.
    Although it does seem that they want the press that covers Android not PC folks.

Edit; How about a Tegra based Chromebook with access to their cloud gaming platform.

• shiznit

Android console?

• ronch

Been there, done that.

• shiznit

Not with the Shield middleware and streaming from your PC…

• tipoo

Ou, ya that would be great.

• NeoForever

I see what you did there 😉

• SomeOtherGeek

The Green team is changing their colors to <your choice of color>!

• blastdoor

Here’s my crazy guess —

A full-blown desktop GPU that includes a Denver CPU. So like an APU but with a different perspective on what’s the dog and what’s the tail.

the idea is that you’d still buy these things and stick them in a PCI slot, but even more of the work of the game is taking place on the card rather than in the x86 CPU sitting back on the motherboard.

• chuckula

[quote<]A full-blown desktop GPU that includes a Denver CPU. [/quote<] If it makes you feel better, I now rank your prediction that Apple will ARM-ize the CPUs in Mac Pros (not the little macbook airs, but the workstation systems) as your #2 craziest prediction.

• blastdoor

Cool — so I guess that means if this crazy NV prediction is right, it means ARM-cpus will someday be in a Mac Pro 🙂

If anybody does crazy, it’s Jen-Hsung Huang…

[spoiler<]and that AMD fixer guy[/spoiler<]

• the

Except that nVidia actually put that feature on their road map:

[url<]http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20110119204601_Nvidia_Maxwell_Graphics_Processors_to_Have_Integrated_ARM_General_Purpose_Cores.html[/url<] Note the date of that article: 2011. However, it is also fair to point out that the on-die Denver core feature has mysteriously disappeared from more recent roadmaps. A bit more of a long shot, nVidia could also be putting ARM designed cores on the die.

and on that Denver CPU, an eMMC module. And on that eMMC module, an Android installation. And in that Android installation, a Tegra Game Zone app. And in that Tegra Game Zone app, [url=https://techreport.com/news/27803/big-nvidia-announcement-scheduled-for-march-3?post=883136#883136<]Half-Life 3[/url<] [spoiler<]confirmed[/spoiler<]

• smilingcrow

Or a Denver CPU with more COARS than you can imagine that virtualizes a kick ass GPU plus an x64 CPU that is as fast a dual socket Xeon!

• chuckula

And a juicer. DON’T FORGET THE JUICER!

• smilingcrow

Jen-Hsun Huang may be half a GB short of being sane but even he wouldn’t dare forget the juicer. Surely! Shirley!

• Terra_Nocuus

I love “half a gig short” as the new “not the sharpest tool in the shed”

• DPete27

Clever…GTX 970 reference. +1 for you sir!

• maxxcool

Charlie predicted this. And Nvidia also hinted that a on-gpu-die solution to handle some or most draw calls was possible by adding custom silicon into the gpu itself and then Simply not directing a number of calls ”off the gpu”. This would greatly reduce latency more than the benefit of processing draw calls but the later would still be a perk.

Ball park was a 30% increase across the board for minimum frame rates, time to draw and max frame rates .. (which kinda is the same thing ..)

And thanks to semiaccurates pay %^%^ wall I can’t find it now … sigh.

• Deanjo

So Charlie “predicted” what Nvidia said they were going to do years ago….. there’s a shocker.

• maxxcool

/sheldon/ Sarcasm ? 😉

• Ninjitsu

I remember a really old rumor last year about some [url=https://techreport.com/news/26300/rumor-points-to-bigger-maxwell-gpus-with-integrated-arm-cores<]ARM core integration[/url<], but it's probably being used as a really fat controller to manage data and/or fixed function logic thingy.

• DancinJack

Since it went to Android Police i’m guess it’s a new Shield. There is a picture too!

[url<]http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/10/nvidia-sends-press-invitations-to-march-3rd-event-teasing-a-gaming-product-5-years-in-the-making/[/url<]

• chuckula

Meh level 10!

I thought it might be a paper-launch of the high-end Maxwell to try to recover some momentum from AMD. Yet another tablet? Snooze.

AMD has momentum?

• Deanjo

Momentum can go forward or backwards. ;D

• smilingcrow

Until they sell it off and replace it with an intern on roller blades.

• yakapo

Maybe some sort of gaming Android phone?

Edit:
      the invitation looks like the verizon logo.

it’s backwards from Verizon’s logo. The long end is on the wrong side.

• yakapo

Perceptive.

• EndlessWaves

Looks more like a slightly opened laptop to me.

• sweatshopking

Yea, i’m guessing an android based laptop device. If so, it’ll fail hard, but I can see them trying it.

• sschaem

That would be very anticlimactic….

An updated shield fall very short of “redefine the future of gaming”

When you hear “redefine the future of gaming.” you think VR, and not just a faster version of what they have already on the market.

• Stochastic

Agreed. I’m not getting my hopes up.

• Shambles

A shield tablet refresh would be pretty neat. The Nexus 9 was kind of a let down. I could be tempted to jump in if they updated the shield tablet and kept it at a good price.

• Pez

I’d bet money it’s a new tablet..

• anotherengineer

“Big Nvidia announcement scheduled for March 3”

The GTX970 is actually 3.5GB

😉

• chuckula

Or maybe: Jen-Hsun comes on stage and says that 3.5 GB of RAM oughta be enough for everybody.

• SoM

and a 12GB version will finally be a 4GB version

• Ninjitsu

Or a 3*3.5GB thing.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]"Big Nvidia announcement scheduled for March 3"[/quote<] March 3. 3.3 so 3.3 GB.

• chubbyhorse

You got me, from the preview I was expecting another Half Life 3 confirmation. LOL

• Duck

Half-Life 3 was neither confirmed nor denied?

• Lans

Wouldn’t it be on March 5? So I say 3.3GB!

EDIT: Interesting 3.5 GB (1000^3) is about 3.3 GiB (1024^3)

• HisDivineOrder

They’re going to announce an investigation into the problem of 3.5 not being 4. They’ll get back to users “soon.”

• TwoEars

“will redefine the future of gaming.”

Isn’t that what nvidia says at every new gpu launch?

• balanarahul

A tegra phone, if maybe hopefully.

• Pez

I hope so. I have visions of something like the Xperia Play being reborn..

Probably in the minority here but I loved that phone

• ozzuneoj

I still have mine. It is a great phone, its just too slow and low on RAM for my liking. I just got a second hand Moto G to replace it as my “phone” (on Page Plus paygo, so limited to 3G Verizon phones) but I will definitely keep the Xperia for emulators and such.

Also, the touch pads are basically the ONLY control device I’ve ever used that could replicate the feel of a mouse for 3D games.

A Tegra based device that is the size of an actual phone with Xperia Play like controls would be great… too bad it will never be Verizon based (let alone Verizon 3G for cheap bums like me).

• NTMBK

NVidia have said they are getting out of the phone market. The Tegra 4i was a disaster for them.

• yakapo

That was my guess too.

Invitation looks like the Verizon logo.