Microsoft will let you trade in your old Surface for a new one

A new Microsoft promotion aims to get folks with old Surface tablets to upgrade. Available until March 8 (and exclusively in the U.S.), the trade-in offer involves discounts of up to $650 on the Surface Pro 3.

Users can trade in any Surface tablet, including the ARM-based Surface RT and Surface 2. Microsoft will even let you trade in a Surface Pro 3, which may be worthwhile if you’re itching for more storage capacity and a faster processor—or if your device is damaged and outside the warranty period.

The trade-in value of each device depends on several factors: the exact model, whether the tablet is in working condition, and whether any accessories are being traded along with it. SuperSite for Windows has a handy breakdown of how much each Surface model is worth, provided it’s in full working order. A Surface RT will get you just $84-94, but a fully loaded Surface Pro 2 is worth $361, about half the price of the most affordable Surface Pro 3.

Discounts like these are always nice. Given the timing of this one, though, I’m not sure I’d partake. The Surface Pro 3 came out 11 months ago and is still based on Haswell silicon. Now that Intel’s Core M and Broadwell-U processors are out, I’d expect Microsoft to announce a Surface Pro 4 before too long.

• Convert

Hah, they go for more on eBay! Forget the trade in (for ones that work).

• kamikaziechameleon

The surface pro tablets are like a cold hand shaking yours at first. They are simply so different from everything. I legitimately hated mine for the first 30 days, was so close to returning it but then magic happened… my mind can now wrap around how to use the pen, onscreen keyboard, and attachment.

I’d give the current model 3 a 9/10 for what it is with major requirements going into the subsequent redesigns (mainly on the attachables front, What were they thinking with some of this stuff) But a budget speck $800 dollar Surface pro 3 w/o the keyboard and with the stylus becomes manageable in about a 2-4 week time frame and rapidly becomes better than second nature making it so powerful and flexible. There are great functions I use it for that I can only use it for.

The onenote integration is AMAZING! No joke, it takes learning and getting used to but if you care at all for handwriting input, and I do, its simply the best. The reason to get the sp3 over sp2 is pretty simple, the kick stand. The SP2 can’t recline adequately so the onscreen keyboard is useless with it. But with the new kickstand the SP3 can recline in your lap sans keyboard attachment and work great with the onscreen supplement. It creates such a stable writing and typing platform its amazing.

Plus with some optimization and patience you can get some decent games on there, I play SC 2 and diablo 3 fine now after a few tweaks.

Anyway, I don’t know if this is to clear inventory on the SP3 for the SP4, but if your aiming for the entry model take the plunge!

• MadManOriginal

I’d still like to see them come out with a real clamshell keyboard. While it might not be sexy-thin, it would make for one very nice convertible.

• Andrew Lauritzen

I agree that I wouldn’t mind some more thickness, but I wouldn’t really want a keyboard that weighs enough to counter-balance the tablet w/o kickstand though. And I really don’t mind the feel of the typing on the current one although I don’t use it as my primary machine or anything.

That said, considering it’s purchased separately and detachable, more options are always good 🙂

• sweatshopking

Basically the same as my wife. First month she was like WTF i want my laptop back, now can’t imagine going back to a laptop. She’s a onenote addict too.

• kamikaziechameleon

I really wish they could add battery life to the keyboard attachment. Otherwise the touch pad is the most valuable part of it for apps that don’t like finger or stylus input. The keys are so so quality and the onscreen keyboard is getting so great with each update I just want more utility out of the add on for the price and added thickness.

• sweatshopking

They had the battery life attachment for the 2nd gen, but literally NOBODY bought it. I doubt we’ll see another one for a while.

• blastdoor

Oh dear…. did somebody stuff the channel?

• sweatshopking

Not sure, but it’s a billion dollar business now.

• anotherengineer

Still better than

[url<]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/45/456adcfcf72703bb44e4e7379b755597b209ad4555fa0f421b1b48883d763f33.jpg[/url<]

• thanatos355

[quote<] I'd expect Microsoft to announce a Surface Pro 4 before too long.[/quote<] Which is why they're running this promotion to help clear inventory. 😉

• chubbyhorse

My thoughts exactly

• BoilerGamer

I thought they might be holding it back until Q4 to sync timing with Windows 10, but I would be all for an Q2/Q3 release.