Intel partners with Raptr to optimize game settings for Iris graphics

GDC — As a sort of response to Nvidia's GeForce Experience software, AMD not long ago started bundling an application called Raptr with its Catalyst graphics drivers. Now, the folks at Ratpr haved added another big partner to their stable: Intel, whose graphics solutions ship in hundreds of millions PCs every year.

Ratpr, the product of a start-up firm headed by gaming celebrity Dennis "Thresh" Fong, recommends optimized settings for PC games by crowd-sourcing data from its user base. For the Intel collaboration, Raptr will use Intel's own internally generated recommendations as a starting point and build from there. Fong shared a tragic figure with us: Raptr's data shows that 85% of PC gamers play at the games' default quality settings. Intel and Raptr hope to improve the PC gaming experience by helping to rectify that problem.

Raptr also notifies users about the availability of graphics driver updates, and its allows users to record video from their gaming sessions. It also supports video streaming to Twitch. Thanks to this new partnership, Raptr is adding support for the QuickSync video transcoding hardware built into Intel processors, so that the CPU overhead of video recording and streaming should be minimal.

Unlike AMD, Intel will not bundle Raptr with its downloadable graphics drivers. Instead, Intel will offer Raptr downloads from its website, while Raptr will work with PC makers, attempting to persuade them to pre-install the software on their systems.

• USAFTW

You know Intel… You’re not AMD, you’re sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars and spend 10+ billion in manufacturing R&D… Don’t use this trash.
    WRITE UR OWN DAMN APP! OMZG!

• Ninjitsu

Not surprised that people who *need* to use software like this would play with default settings…

• Meadows

They’re the same people who don’t see the difference between the PC- and console versions.

• Vhalidictes

The survey is an example of garbage-in, garbage out.

People who know how to change their driver settings don’t use Raptr.

It’s akin to trying to find Netflix watching habits on by checking show Nielsen ratings.

• HisDivineOrder

The funny thing is something like Raptr is absolutely something a user running an Intel IGP could use more than any other user of PC graphics. If you’re dropping $200 or more on a discrete card, you PROBABLY have a little more desire to go and change a setting or two.

If you’re just buying whatever and trying to play the latest Call of Duty, you’re probably just going to be confused by the fact it looks butt-ugly.

• tks
      • Vhalidictes

You’d think with all the money that Intel has available, they’d partner with the actual game developers to create special DirectX 10 render paths optimized for Intel graphics.

Of course, that would first require that Intel cares. LOL, that was the very next post I saw. Hopefully it ends up doing something for all those laptop gamers.

Raptr and Geforce Experience are like unwanted browser toolbars;

They do nothing particularly useful but they do get in the way an awful lot.

• Bensam123

Noooo….. Raptr is garbage! One of the things I wish AMD would’ve never done as well.

• Prestige Worldwide

Yup. It’s terrible but they needed something to compete with GeForce experience and well….. their driver staffing levels are at the lowest they have been in years due to last year’s cuts.

• tanker27

I just dont see the need for either. While I do have GeForce Experience installed I dont use it. Most of the time it craps out trying to download a new driver. And its not like I am in the dark when a new driver is released. And I always custom set my graphics settings on a game anyway. I should just uninstall it….. :/

• K-L-Waster

Same – GeForce Experience really only does three things:

1) Tells the user when a driver update is available (which used to be done by a system notification…)
          2) Suggests settings (which is either redundant or, in some cases, ill-advised)
          3) Stops games from running completely when an updated version of it doesn’t work right (happened at least twice in the past year – workaround is to uninstall GeForce Experience)

• l33t-g4m3r

4 – streaming and video recording. The only useful feature.
            5 – making the led’s on your card blink.
            edit: NV also made it mandatory if you like having the tray icon.

• albundy

do 2D games really need optimizing?

• ferdinandh

Like Trine? Yes.

• thor84no

I’m fairly sure Trine isn’t actually a 2D game graphics wise though. It’s still 3D graphics, even though gameplay is limited to one plane.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I wonder if Intel IGP users will have access to the same reward points and associated store as the AMD Gaming Evolved app. That way they can rack up enough points to buy an AMD graphics card 😉

• wingless

This would make more sense if Intel had a discrete GPU about to hit the market. I wouldn’t mind seeing what a GPU based on Iris Pro could handle.

• 223 Fan

No wonder Intel graphics suck. According to the picture their chips are installed upside down.

• balanarahul

Uh.. I don’t get it.

• 223 Fan

The image in the article is upside down in Chrome on my iPad. For some reason it is right side up in a browser running on a PC.

• ermo

Uh yeah, about that … *cough* … maybe you’re holding it wrong?

I’ll show myself out.

• 223 Fan

If Apple says the picture is upside down then it’s upside down. When you can develop a $10K iPod Nano you can wear on your wrist then you get to determine how a picture is correctly oriented.

• tviceman

95% of all Intel graphics users don’t need raptr to know what their game settings need to be:

1366×768
    TEXTURES: LOW
    AMBIENT OCCLUSION: YEAH RIGHT
    DEPTH OF FIELD: WON’T NEED IT, IT WILL BE BLURRY ALREADY
    ANTI ALIASING: HA HA
    SHADOWS: PUKE
    WATER: NONE
    PARTICLES: WHAT
    POST FX: NOPE
    TESSELLATION: I QUIT

Do you wish to apply these settings or go play an Atari?

• christos_thski

Yes. We keep hearing that intel’s “finally made it” into passable gaming gpu territory, and it’s always about some integrated GPU to a top-tier 500$ CPU that gets flattened by an intel 150$ cpu coupled with a 100$ discrete gpu.

• EndlessWaves

Except the second system is in a box at least four times the size.

• w76

I think a serious PC gamer will understand you can’t have a 4k gaming machine in a package the size of a RaspberryPi. But then I don’t think Intel’s integrated stuff is that bad; it’s aimed at a different market is all. Essentially, the Plants vs Zombies crowd, not the elite FPS’s, etc, OR as nico1982 below shows an example, users understand the compromise.

• Klimax

Just a note: Intel does tessellation better then AMD…

Haswell Iris pro
      [url<]http://anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/15[/url<] ...or not worse then that. HD4600 [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested/8[/url<]

• nico1982

I cannot check out my Original Sin settings on my MBPr 13 at the moment, but FXAA is definitely ON and particles have never been compute intensive in 99% of the games in the last 10 years. The game looks much better on a 1440p screen with a discrete GPU, obiously, but is fun nonetheless. Honestly, I was surprised of how well Iris Pro perform 🙂

• libradude

Not to split hairs, but for the sake of clarity I believe the i5 chip in your MBPro is actually Iris Graphics; Iris Pro (with eDRAM) would be even faster! 😀 I have a friend who plays World of Warcraft on his MBP and like you, I was quite impressed.

• Goofus Maximus

99 percent of all Haswell graphics users don’t have the problem that 99 percent of Intel graphics users have, though. Even my Pentium G3220 performs a simply amazing job at gameplay, with textures medium and 2xaa, and “water: some” 😉 at lower resolutions.

All source games look and run well, as well as Doom 3, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3. And all this on PC 1333 memory, to boot. I can only imagine that a non-crippled Haswell would run rings around mine, and a Core i7 would be, so I really do think that the days of “Intel Graphics? HA!” are over.

Their drivers, now… that’s another matter. My main problem is with older legacy games like Sacred Gold and Diablo I

Any game with “Auto Detect” just sees Intel graphics and sets everything to rock bottom and pops up a message saying “Good luck with your 10-20fps slideshow guys”

• NeelyCam

Playing with Intel IGP is like playing drunk

• HisDivineOrder

That resolution seems high.

• auxy

[url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106680<]You know I sorta just debunked this, huh...?[/url<]

• strangerguy

~1/3 of the performance of a 5770 for free ain’t bad!

…Until you realise you can get ~10x more GPU power for just $190.

• chuckula

Sounds gimmicky…

[quote<]Unlike AMD, Intel will not bundle Raptr with its downloadable graphics drivers. [/quote<] At least it's optional gimmicky. Hey Intel: the drivers suck less than they used to but they still aren't great yet. Get back to it!

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Hey Intel: the drivers suck less than they used to but they still aren't great yet. Get back to it![/quote<] At least the last update to NUC drivers fixed my VLC MKV playback - before the update, CPU was running at 80-100% and picture was choppy... now 5% and smooth sailing. I wonder if the CBS TV episode streams work better now..