Apple introduces new, ultra-thin MacBook

At Apple’s press event today, the company returned its mid-line MacBook to its product lineup. And yes, it’s the thinnest Apple notebook ever. But there’s much more to the new wafer-thin MacBook than meets the eye.

First, about the thinness. Apple exec Phil Schiller said that the company took what it learned from making the latest iPhones and iPads, and applied it to the new Mac’s design. The result is a notebook that’s only 13.1 millimeters thick, and weighs only two pounds. For perspective, that’s 24% thinner than the current MacBook Air.

Schiller demonstrated how some extensive reworking of common components had to take place to make a computer that thin. The new motherboard is one-third the area of the one in the current MacBook Air. The new MacBook also makes use of a Broadwell-based Intel Core M processor with a 5W power envelope, which allowed Apple to do away with fans entirely, saving more space.

The keyboard and touchpad feature some interesting new technology, too. Instead of a traditional scissor-switch keyboard, the new MacBook uses what Apple is calling a "butterfly switch," which is thinner than traditional scissor switches while offering a better typing feel—or at least, that’s the claim. Apple did show some slow-mo video of the new keyboard versus its older MacBook keyboards, however, and the key motion of the new switches does look considerably less wobbly.

The touchpad in the new MacBook takes some lessons from the Apple Watch. The new unit does away with the traditional switch design of older click-anywhere touchpads. Instead, the new unit senses pressure and provides haptic feedback through what Apple is calling a "Taptic Engine."

Because the trackpad relies on force sensors instead of a traditional switch, Apple was able to implement some pressure-sensitive features in the touchpad, as well. The company showed off several uses for the force touch gesture first seen in the Apple Watch, as well as pressure-dependent scrubbing in video apps.

Some of this technology has been around for a long time—Geoff first got a look at Synaptics’ force-sensitive touchpad in 2012—but the haptic feedback seems like a first.

Apple fans have been clamoring for a retina-caliber display in a MacBook-Air-sized chassis for a long time, and the new MacBook delivers on that front, too. The 12" display features a resolution of 2304×1440. Apple also rejiggered the driver circuitry for each pixel to allow more light to pass through, which is said to result in a 30% increase in energy efficiency.

Some readers might be wondering what Apple’s relentless pursuit of thinness means for the new MacBook’s battery life. Apple’s solution: pack every bit of the remaining space inside with batteries. Schiller showed how the company is now able to form batteries in layers that are form-fitted to the milled contours of the notebook’s chassis. The company claims that this process allowed it to fit up to 35% more battery capacity into the new MacBook than it could have with older tech.

Apple says that the improved capacity is good for all-day battery life, which means 9 hours of web browsing or 10 hours of movie playback by the company’s measure.

Aside from the obsessive thinning, the MacBook also does away with all ports save for one: a USB 3.1 type C port that handles charging, USB connectivity, and video output.

The new MacBook’s base configuration includes a 1.1GHz dual-core Core M with Turbo speeds of up to 2.4GHz, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of solid-state storage for $1299. Build-to-order options include a 1.2GHz Core M with 2.6GHz Turbo clocks or a 1.3GHz Core M with 2.9GHz Turbo clocks. You can also spec a 512GB SSD. Build-to-order options take the price to $1599 and beyond. Like the iPhone 6, one can order the new MacBook in space gray, silver, or gold finishes.

If you want an absurdly thin MacBook of your own, Apple says that its newest Mac will begin shipping on April 10th.

• smilingcrow

Have Apple jumped the shark? The evidence:

1. A $1,300 laptop with a single port.
    2. A $10k gold bling-tastic watch.

Both to me suggest an arrogance and a disconnect from the mainstream.
    The watch is such an arriviste and nouveau riche step.

• Wirko

Research shows that Apple may have the most unrecognizable logo in the industry:
    [url<]http://www.geek.com/apple/majority-of-people-cant-identify-the-apple-logo-can-you-1617614[/url<] Time to bring colours back.

• jessterman21

Annnd this guy again 😉

[url<]https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc[/url<] ...why is it funnier every time I watch it???

Holy ****, I didn’t realize the Macbook has a 480p webcam, lol

• Krogoth

Pfft, I rather have a chassis that can take physical trauma (laptops tend to be victims of this) then just break apart at the slightest bump.

• Shoki

Headphone jack is on the wrong side.

• dragontamer5788

Honestly, I’m glad they finally fixed the screen issue.

I’m not a fan of the CoreM, but then again I’ve never been a fan of the CULV chips from the original Air. Seems like Macbook Pro is still the one to go with IMO, but the new tech is intriguing (USB3.1 C)

• anotherengineer

“10 hours of movie playback ”

Sigh…………….still not enough to watch the complete LOTR extended edition series back to back.

• Deanjo

Use VLC in speedup mode 😀

• Terra_Nocuus

Just skip all the Liv Tyler crying scenes, that should shave off an hour or so

• Farting Bob

Whats the advantage for consumers of having 1 port that does everything?
    Want to charge it at the same time as you use a thumb drive? Or mouse? or External HDD? or USB rocket launcher? Tough luck, you need an awkward adapter, sold separately despite the laptop costing $1300.

If its too thin for a normal USB socket, fine. Thats a stupid decision when its only a matter of a millimetre or 2 but fair enough. But at least include more than 1 type C port.

• MadManOriginal

The advantage for consumers is they have the privilege of being allowed to purchase a $70 dongle to enable some additional ports.

• Concupiscence

But then they couldn’t stuff it comically full of batteries! Think, man! Think of the people who need to sit in front of a laptop ALL DAMNED DAY!

• NeelyCam

Genuine question: are there any other 2lbs laptops that have similar screen size, performance and battery life…? Because portability makes this appealing to me.

• llisandro

My pick would be the Dell XPS 13 is 2.8 lb (with Broadwell-U). It’s a bit heavier, but more powerful. My experience with Airs is they’re just not powerful enough for me, and feel a bit sluggish, so I’d be willing to trade a bit of weight for power.

It’s a 13-incher, but it also has tiny bezels, so probably not much larger. Drops to 2.6 lb if you opt for the 1080p screen instead of 3200×1800 IPS. Honestly the biggest weight drop is not having to carry the power plug along with you if you’re coming from something with <8-9h battery, so I don’t see a huge difference btw 2.0 and 2.8, you might. But I think 0.8 lb is worth it for a 15W TDP processor. They claim 12h, so realistically it’ll probably benchmark at 10h, versus 9 for the dell.

[url<]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/review-the-dell-xps-13-is-the-pc-laptop-to-beat/1/[/url<]

• NeelyCam

Yes, have looked at XPS13. I’ve been a bit worried about some of the reviews mentioning problems with WiFi, touchpad and some weird whine related to backlit keyboard. It’s not clear, though, if the reviews are related to last year’s version (Amazon isn’t particularly good at separating reviews for different model years..)

I tested a CoreM based 11inch Dell Venue 2in1, and it seemed snappy enough in general, but the touchpad was so horrible I didn’t do much testing before shipping it back..

• llisandro

ASUS UX305 has some tradeoffs, but it’s way cheaper, and 2.6 lb. No backlit kb, but it has a matte screen.

• NeelyCam

It does seem very attractive. However:

[url<]http://hothardware.com/reviews/asus-zenbook-ux305-review?page=9[/url<] One of the "Not" items mentioned is "Trackpad can be glitchy". This seems to be a repeating pattern with these Win8 ultrabooks. I've returned three laptops in the last two years for this very reason...

• MathMan

I bought my first MacBook in 2008 (still going strong) because it was the first one with that amazing glass surface trackpad.

We’re now 7 years later. All Apple laptops have had this kind of trackpad ever since, yet still PC manufacturers cheap out on the most used input device.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the trackpad is still reason number one to stick with Mac, price be damned. I know it is for me.

• NeelyCam

I have a pretty simple wishlist:

1) 11-12″ size (“traditional” 11-12″, meaning Dell XPS13 matches my size preference)
            2) Light (1.5-2.5lbs)
            3) FullHD display
            4) Decent performance (15W i5 Haswell/Broadwell level performance)
            5) Decent battery life (7+ hours)
            6) It just works (i.e., no issues with trackpad, wifi, loud fans, random reboots etc.)

I’m not asking for miracles. Simple stuff. But I still haven’t been able to find all that in a single package.

Dell XPS13 would hit those check boxes, but #6 is still a question mark for me… The new Lenovo LaVie ultrabooks also look promising, but they are pushing the limits of #1, and #6 might be a concern. Same with Asus UX305, and UX305 might not meet #4.

None of the Apple products hit all of those. Macbook Pros are beyond #1. The 11.6″ MBA doesn’t hit #3. The “new Macbook” might not hit #4. Then again, #4 might be the easiest for me to sacrifice.

If anyone knows of a laptop that hits all six, I’d be very interested.. I really should test XPS13… seems to be the best option at the moment

• ikjadoon

See the NEC/Lenovo LaVie Z HZ750. 1.72lbs, full-fat Broadwell-U, 13″ 2560×1440 IGZO, and roughly 9 hours of battery life.

Oh, yeah, it’s a convertible, too. 😀

• NeelyCam

This looks really cool! HZ750 (convertible) seems to be 2lbs (the HZ550 is 1.7lbs), but 2lbs would be light enough for me.

These are coming out in May – I can’t wait to see reviews… I want to see if the trackpad is working well.. also, Lenovo crippled CoreM in Yoga 3 Pro, so I want to see how these perform vs. others

• llisandro

44 Wh seems encouraging. I’m really interested in the lenovos, because they’re one of the few manufacturers still shipping Wacom styluses, but a lot of the recent thin lenovos are not in the “all day” battery range.

the 35 Wh yoga 2 pro with a 4.5W Core M-5Y70 only has a claimed 8h battery, with benchmarks putting it at more like 5-6h, same with yoga 3 pro (which is pushing a higher-res screen).

edit: typo

• llisandro

Another option that probably isn’t what you want:

If I was going for pure portability, I don’t think I’d consider anything that wasn’t a convertible of some type, like a Surface Pro 3 with a power cover. Power cover would get me to at least 10h when I need max battery life, but I also get the option to just bring the tablet when I don’t need to type a lot , and stylus writing for short emails is great, IMO. The power tradeoffs are so great for getting down to 2 lb, I’d at least want a tablet mode to add some flexibility, but, again, I use stylus heavily.

• sweatshopking

just buy one and bootcamp it. seriously.

• llisandro

I’m with ssk. Anyone who has returned a laptop because they weren’t satisfied with a trackpad should be looking at a mac. And their wireless drivers are great.

I was in the market for an Air, but after holding it and comparing to the pro, I went with a 13″ pro, and am very happy with the decision. Bought a second adapter to keep at work, IMO that’s a much better way to shave a pound than crippling the CPU. I’m really surprised by how light it feels- it really doesn’t feel that different in my hand. Just too many tradeoffs to lose weight, but broadwell is looking promising.

A lot of my colleagues who have airs regret it because of the sluggishness, I am interested to see how the new macbook performs.

• sweatshopking

The new MacBook will be slower than last years airs. It is close to an atom in performance.

• NeelyCam

I am seriously considering it. But see my “simple wishlist” above. Macs don’t offer what I’m looking for

• llisandro

dude, we’re trying to help but you have to admit your “simple wishlist” is a little redonk. This is literally Jony Ive’s 5-year plan. There is [i<]nothing[/i<] on the market yet that hits all your points. You're asking "why isn't there a FHD+ ultrabook with a 15W processor that runs for all day on the batteries that fit into a 12" chassis and weighs under 2.5 pounds?" I think you answered your own question. I think we've got a pretty good list of mobile laptops for most all mobility use-cases: 1. Wait for new stuff. Outside of the LaVie, you might be waiting a while. 2. Macbook: everything but CPU, but CPU might be prohibitively bad. But if CPU power is your lowest priority, it might be your best option if you are that finicky about trackpad/wireless. 3. UX305: everything but bad trackpad. This is the tradeoff I think most people here would take to maximize your other 5, especially since it's half the price of everything else. 4. MBP: greater size/weight, knocks everything else out of park. First portable laptop I am completely satisfied with. Also XPS13 with caveats about trackpad/wireless. these are the best if you want powerful portability. 6. Surface Pro 3/4- honestly I think it's the closest to your whole list of requirements, if you can handle its reduced "laptoppiness." I think the consensus is its trackpad is okay but not great. We've had four people in my lab buy one in the past 6 months and they are surprisingly happy with them, running Matlab, etc. Unless your use case is "compiling code in an airport bathroom with the machine on my lap" I think this is your best bet. Dock makes this one go from all the way from most portable to "I can use this as a lightweight desktop." edit: typo

• NeelyCam

[quote<]you have to admit your "simple wishlist" is a little redonk.[/quote<] Nope - I'm not gonna admit that yet ;). Like you said yourself, XPS13 is almost there - the main things bothering me are things that are most definitely fixable (touchpad, wifi). Ok, the weight is a bit above my preference.. But I'm not asking for a miracle. I'd be happy with the FHD XPS13 that helps it easily meet my battery life hopes - I don't need FHD+. 1. LaVie really does look interesting. I can't wait to see how well it works. 2. Yes; another good option. Maybe Apple's cooling solution keeps CoreM turbo'ing better than, say Yoga 3 Pro 3. The trackpad would kill me, since that's what I would be using exclusively. BTW, I'm not really that picky about the trackpad. I love the trackpad on Acer C720, even though I'm sure it's nowhere near Apple quality. All I want is that when I use the trackpad, it responds in 0.1s instead of 1s, and does it consistently. My experience with Dell Venue 11 was just horrendous... most of the time it was "sleeping" and wouldn't react until after a second. Some (not all) of the time the two-finger scroll would do nothing. I had a similar experience with a Lenovo with a low-power Haswell chip 1.5 years ago. In fact, I haven't yet experienced a Win8 laptop that didn't have that problem (then again, I haven't played with all of them). 4. I've looked at MBP, but sorry - it's just too heavy for me. I don't need the performance etc. that it offers - instead, I am looking for more portability. 5. Since you didn't have a "5", I'll add MBA here. If only the 11.6" one came with a FHD display, that would be it. It has everything else that I'd want.. 6. Surface Pro might work, but I prefer laptops where the weight is mostly on the "base", and the base supports the display. I.e., I don't want to be limited to a desk or a table to be able to use the keyboard. An important use case: sitting on a toilet, typing something (doesn't have to be code). I can't imagine using a Surface Pro there... And Surface Pro 4 [url=http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Microsoft+Preps+Surface+Pro+4+for+War+Against+Apples+New+MacBook/article37238.htm<]might use CoreM instead of a 15W Broadwell[/url<] What really disappointed me about the Apple announcement was that MBA 11.6" didn't get a "retina" upgrade. That would've been a perfect option for me.. Even if the high-resultion display drop the battery life from 10h to 8h, I still would've been happy with it. But I'm not gonna upgrade from C720 until I can get a truly better one (FHD, real OS, more memory) without sacrificing all the C720 goodness, especially if all the other options cost >3x more.

• llisandro

hey, what about a thinkpad X250?

2.9 pounds, 12.5″ 1080p IPS with i5 Broadwell-U, $1050 with 8GB RAM. Battery should be at least 8h, maybe 10. add some weight and configure it with a 72Wh battery (has a hot-swappable rear battery). touchscreen option, and you can pay $50 more to get it with Win7. Even has a trackpoint.

as cheap as $870 if you get the i3, just got an ad in my inbox for it, with a 20% coupon.

no throttling
            [url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-broadwell-u-first-benchmarks,28342.html[/url<]

Hmm… that could work! I’d be willing to put up with the weight for Win7

• llisandro

I’ve configured several X240s for people in my lab and they really like them. I went with a Toshiba R830 and regretted it. Battery life is pretty good with full-fat Ivy Bridge. even their 1368×768 IPS looks pretty nice, so I bet this’d be perfect at FHD. pop out the spinner for an M2 and drop some weight, and you’re still looking at a system with a 256GB SSD for under a grand, not bad at all.

Yeah, $50 is definitely worth paying to not have to deal with Win8 🙂

• llisandro

anandtech has a yoga 3 pro with CoreM up review up. CPU performance doesn’t look awesome, but does beat the 2 in some tests :/

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/9061/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review/4[/url<]

• NeelyCam

You know, the performance doesn’t really look that awful, assuming you don’t want to do any heavy lifting with it. Although, AnandTech tested the Yoga 3 Pro with the highest-end CoreM (which would cost two arms and a leg in Apple MacBook)…

Another thing I see from that review is how awesome XPS 13 (FHD) is, especially considering the battery life. I really should give it another look… Maybe Best Buy would have one I could play with…?

• llisandro

The weird webcam position due to having no bezels is annoying, but understandable. Broadwell-U is looking awesome. 15 hours of web browsing, bonkers. The FHD middle ground is something apple won’t touch, apparently, hence the decision to go all the way down to CoreM to reach hires displays on their ultraportable line. Nice to see Dell is letting us choose between retina and battery life.
            Anandtech’s review is a bit less enthusiastic than Ars, but says from what they saw at CES, nothing’s coming out this year that’s any better in this category.

• llisandro

p.s. I expect a full report if you get one 😉

• NeelyCam

[quote<]if you get one [/quote<] Lol, which one...? I'm flip-flopping between Macbook and XPS13... But I'll report regardless of which one I get... or if I wait for Skylake generation..

• Vergil

Would’ve loved if it had Apple’s own dual-core A8 or tri-core A8x, instead. I guess OSX is not fully compatible with ARM yet and Apple is on a tight release schedule. Maybe next year’s product will be. Or, maybe Apple is waiting for a better more suitable custom ARM chips in the form of K12 to release.
    But this Macbook is pretty, hehe. Unfortunately the $1300 asking price is unjustified.
    The starting price of this product should be around $699 for the base model.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Would've loved if it had Apple's own dual-core A8 or tri-core A8x, instead. [/quote<] Why? Probably would've been too much of a performance hit. They are already taking a hit compared to MBA [quote<]The starting price of this product should be around $699 for the base model.[/quote<] This is not an iPad. This is a real laptop, and warrants a higher price. Yes, $1300 is expensive, but this is Apple, and it has lots of Apple-priced SSD in it

• blastdoor

A8X isn’t there yet.

Though others disagree, I believe that the existence of cyclone shows that Apple is *capable* of making an ARM SOC for Macs. But I do not believe that the A8X is that SOC. Nor is the A9X likely to be, either.

I think we won’t see an A#X going into a Mac until 2017, once the foundries have successfully transitioned to what they will call “10 nm”.

My guess is that this future SOC will have traditional CPU/GPU power in the same ballpark as the current Broadwell. The advantages will be (1) lower price and (2) custom fixed-function units intended to deliver some future feature that Apple will use for product differentiation.

• _ppi

Maybe Core-M is just that good 🙂

• sschaem

The closest PC product is the asus x305, but its 30% slower and also carry a 16:9 1080p screen.
      The keyboard and trackpad are also not the same quality, and no backlight.
      Its also a bit bulkier…

And most importantly, it cannot run OSX and associated software.

So $699 for a 256GB SSD ultrbook is rarely seen.
      ex: Dell XPS13 start at $1000 for a 8GB and only a 128GB SSD.

So today, about $999 would be a decent price for an exact copy of this laptop by asus…

• Arclight

Next step can only be 2 pieces of thin glass with embedded electronics.

• Ninjitsu

So…if this uses the lowest power Intel Core processor available, will they release a Cherry Trail MacBook Air or will they switch to ARM?

• ET3D

Looks like an impressive technical feat. Pity about the single port.

• sweatshopking

Thicker, slower, and no digitizer vs the sp3. Also less ports. Not that impressive.

• ET3D

The Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard is both thicker and heavier than this Macbook. So I don’t see your point.

• sweatshopking

yeah, crazy that, almost exactly the same weight and thickness, but comes with a touch screen and up to an i7, rather than the almost atom core m! WAY better design! AND they managed to include things like an sd card slot! Even the i3 version of the sp is faster than this design and is literally 600$ cheaper… (though at that price you get less internal storage and ram, BUT STILL)

• Bensam123

And there goes Thunderbolt…

I guess Apple is a perfect candidate to try and push a new type of connector no one else is using. Type-C shall be the new trendy connector!

• ronch

This is perfect for folks who will buy a $10,000 iWatch to complete their fashion statement. What’s [s<]$1,299[/s<] $1,599 to someone who's capable and willing to plunk $10,000 on [s<]a toy watch[/s<] an iWatch? Oh, and there are rumors from the Dark Satanic Rumor Mill that Apple should consider making cars too. iCar anyone?

• sschaem

iCar… from the people that gave us the Apple television rumor ?

Now, car electronics… seem reasonable and even likely.

• willyolio

So I can get a $300 Chromebook, but with an apple logo, for $1300? What a steal!

• sschaem

Can you post a link to compare spec?

• willyolio

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOUIZBC/ref=psdc_565108_t3_B00FNPD1OY[/url<] sure, it's 4GB of RAM, but it's also an i3 instead of a core M. but it's also a year old, so if a new model comes out it'll likely be far better. oh! and it has USB ports. so you can plug in an external hard drive. or a thumb drive. AND charge it at the same time, without an $80 accessory! so unless an apple logo, 4GB of RAM and an external drive are worth $1000 to you...

• sweatshopking

they’re going to say “screen resolution” and since both don’t have ips screens, they both suck. AND NEW KEYS! OMG YOU CAN’T TYPE ON AN OLD NORMAL KEYBOARD ANYMORE!!
          also apple literally said they “reinvented the notebook”, so you’re talking about an entirely different product. So for a totally different product, 1000$ more is acceptable since it’s the only product of it’s type. What else can you compare it to?

• blastdoor

It’s also 32 GB SSD compared to 256.
          It also weighs 40 percent more
          It also has about 1/4 the display PPI.

But yeah, otherwise it’s totally identical. Those silly Mac users.

Add to that list :

– No LED backlight keyboard
            – Plastic shell
            – Active fan cooling
            – TN screen (Glossy I believe)
            – 4GB vs 8GB
            – Bigger in every dimension and take twice the volume

To be verified. But the tackpad & keyboard are potentially measurable different in quality.

Now is that worth an extra $1000… I bet to hundreds of thousand of people it does.
            (actually #1 would be OSX vs Android)

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Now is that worth an extra $1000... I bet to hundreds of thousand of people it does.[/quote<] I don't think "that" is why it's worth an extra $1000 for hundreds of thousands of people. I think the main reasons for the majority are 1) a fruit logo, and 2) "I don't know what this chrome book is" [quote<](actually #1 would be OSX vs Android)[/quote<] Android...? Huh?

• sweatshopking

the new macbook is a tn screen as well.
            NOPE IT ISN’T.

• adisor19

No, it’s not. It’s an IPS Retina screen.

Adi

• blastdoor

[url<]http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/[/url<] [quote<]12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology[/quote<]

• sweatshopking

good to hear. I read somewhere where they said it was tn, but after rereading i see they were still talking air.

I like Acer C720 more than most, but your comparison is just silly

• uni-mitation

I will cut a check to the first one to bend one!

• auxy

Total junk! It’s like a parody of a real product. I really hate Apple’s corporate culture.

• revparadigm

Yawn….wake me up when they ship a ultra thick one. 😛

• yakapo

Hmm… If it was a convertible or had a touchscreen and a detachable keyboard, I’d be interested. I’m holding out for the surface pro 4 mini.

• christos_thski

Just as I was starting to warm up to the idea of a macosx affair…. they go and release some strange shit like that (70$ dongle for basic functionality : it’s MAGICAL!) and bring me right back to the PC fold.

• sschaem

That makes no sense. Their is no PC equivalent to this macbook.

And NONE of their other product have usb3.1 (they all have separate ports).

Another case of nerd moaning ?

• sweatshopking

What does that even mean? It’s slightly thinner than the xps13, but the screen is WAY worse. The sp3 is thinner, cheaper, and more powerful. It also has ports.

• takeship

The PC equivalent to this is the Surface Pro (4) when it drops in another few months. Or the 3 if you want a deal. Oh, except the Surface (i5/i7) has about double the power of a Core M.

• modulusshift

You should really see it in person, and also see the other laptops that won’t lose support for a good number of years and probably better fit your use case.

• Srsly_Bro

lol at the dorks who knock this divine device for its performance and not mention the battery life. #leaveyomommasbasementbro4real

• LoneWolf15

A moderately thin laptop is good. A light laptop is good. A system that is thin or light solely for the sake of thin or light is ridiculous.

Sadly, the “gotta haves” due to style rather than usability will make it successful. I’m sure it will be great for people who have surplus cash and really only use a laptop for the same uses someone would use a Chromebook for. But have looks, style, and looking good to others gotten so important that we no longer take function into account?

• Srsly_Bro

See? It was just a few days ago y’all started going on about thicker phones. Apple just delivered with the thinnest damned laptop ever. You guys need to start being grateful for what you receive.

• LoneWolf15

For what you are about to receive, may the Church of Apple make you truly thankful!

The only cure for Anorexia is intensive psychiatric help.

Bendgate in 3… 2… 1…

• anotherengineer

“a USB 3.1 type C ”

WHAT?!?!

No Firewire, it’s not a Mac, must be a clone or something 😉

There hasn’t been FireWire on certain macs lately. MacBook Air requires a thunderbolt adapter.

• ddarko

The USB 3.1 is limited to 5 Gbps, according to the Apple spec page. Now that’s a real reason to wait till version 2:

[url<]http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/[/url<]

• mcnabney

Yeah, but what can a dual Core M do with that even that much bandwidth?

• ddarko

I think the CPU will be fine for what an ultraportable is suited for. I’m just disappointed that Apple’s USB 3.1 implementation comes so close to checking all the boxes. Compare Apple to the USB 3.1 designs that are coming out of PC mobo makers, most of which use the standard Type A port, don’t carry video, audio or any more power and also share the bandwidth across multiple USB 3.1 ports. As far as I know, there’s only one mobo that has Type C but it isn’t powered. I get that supplying power through USB 3.1 on the mobo is going to be a major redesign and cost lots of money but here’s Apple who went ahead and did it. They did almost everything right with their first swing at USB 3.1 except the cut-rate bandwidth. So close…

• adisor19

I was THIS close to getting one until I realized that apple does NOT currently offer an adapter for Minidisplay port even though the laptop DOES support 4K monitors !

How am I supposed to connect this to my 4K external display ?! WHY APPLE ? WHYYYY ?!

Adi

• shank15217

Lol say good bye to thunderbolt, USB just won.

• blastdoor

I suspect TB will continue on the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro for quite some time.

• Deanjo

They just upgraded today the MBA and 13″ MBP to Thunderbolt 2. So much for your theory.

• shank15217

Thunderbolt has no chance if it isn’t an option for a $1599 macbook. Most people looking at a macbook pro would probably take this new model into consideration. Here’s a hint.. if you want a standard to survive you use it in all your products.

• Deanjo

The Macbook Pro crowd are far less likely to look at this as an alternative. It is more likely that the people considering it would be the potential MBA people who do not use external devices as a rule but want a higher resolution screen (and the fashion geeks). You give up way to much horsepower and connectability choosing the Macbook over the Macbook Pro.

• nico1982

It is a cheap upgrade since they wanted to reuse the chassis. The next redesign of MBA (if any) will tell the truth.

• k3m

This is a bad move. they should have used thunderbolt 2. the gen1 usb 3.1, is just 5Gbps. slower than thunderbolt, the adapter costs $70, way more expensive than a thunderbolt cable. What was apple thinking? Thank God the Macbook air now has thunderbolt 2.

• modulusshift

Thunderbolt is thicker than the current laptop, probably isn’t supported by Core M, and doesn’t, to my awareness, support laptop charging amounts of power, nor power input to host device. Thunderbolt was never an option.

• MarkG509

With edges that long/thin/sharp, I wonder if the TSA will let them on planes?

• divide_by_zero

Even if I was willing to pay a ridiculous $1299 price for this level of thinness (nope, not even half that) I’d let others field test the Apple 1.0 fanless, ventless design, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, and magsafe power cables were a great innovation; really a shame to see that nixed. Amazed that the life of this system is entirely dependent on the single 3.1 port used for charging and connectivity. Considering it’s your only port for peripherals, this will get accidentally broken and I suspect it’s going to be an mind-bogglingly expensive repair.

One positive from this release is it will hopefully allow me to find a super good deal on a used previous-gen air. Wahoo!

• adisor19

I’m with you on this one. MagSafe saved my laptop more times than I can remember.

I was willing to live with this but the lack of MiniDisplay port completly killed this product for me 🙁

How can they claim that the laptop supports 4K displays with a MiniDisplay port adapter when such adapter does not exist !?

Too bad. Looks like an MBP 13″ will be in my near future.

Adi

• smilingcrow

How thin your new clothes are emperor.

• uni-mitation

How thin your new clothes are, Emperor.

Or

How thin your new clothes are Emperor.

(A comma alters the meaning of the sentence. In the first sentence we refer to the Emperor. In the second sentence we state that the clothes are the Emperor.)

(I ate sister.)

(I ate, sister.)

/End Grammar Lesson

• smilingcrow

+1. Thanks.

• tipoo

One of the first things that bugged me about my 15″ retina MBP was the wobbly keys, made it feel less high end than the rest of it. I’m glad that they recognized that, but then they go and make the key travel even shorter! Longer Apple! I want it longer! Really dislike this trend in the industry.

Getting rid of the plastic hinge is also good though, that’s also wobbly, and again makes it feel less premium.

• balanarahul

If we are fortunate enough, we’ll get these new butterfly switches without reducing key travel on the new rMBP.

• tipoo

That’s my hope as well. If they could make the key travel a few mm longer at the same time, that would be my pipe dream.

• bthylafh

Now I’m wondering if Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport will be going away because the port’s too big to satisfy Apple’s thinness fetish.

• llisandro

So I guess it’s safe to say Apple will never move to ARM in laptops, because they apparently don’t need to. A mainboard the size of a flagship phone, crazy.

…with the power of a cellphone too. I’ll keep my MBP, for me the weight difference is negligible because battery life is good enough that I don’t carry a power brick most days anyway. And the MBP is pretty much silent unless you’re doing something computationally intensive that you couldn’t do on thing thing anyway.

• sweatshopking

I read this the exact opposite. I think it makes arm more likely.

• blastdoor

Yeah, I still think they’ll go ARM in Macs by the end of 2017. The foundries need another process shrink beyond 14/16 nm.

• sweatshopking

I think you’re probably right. Wait for ms office arm port to improve as well

• chuckula

IT WILL GO OVER JUST AS WELL AS THE SMASHING SUCCESS OF WIN-RT.

• sweatshopking

Unhh office on IOS has been quite successful.

• chuckula

Really? I’m thinking they’ll work out a deal with Intel to somehow preserve the walled garden while letting iPads run off of Skylake/Cannonlake hardware.

This Macbook is basically an iPad on steroids with a permanently attached keyboard as it is anyway.

• NTMBK

Apple has the best mobile CPU designers in the entire world, and has >=2 teams running side by side. I sincerely doubt they would bin all that for Skylake.

• blastdoor

I’m skeptical that such a deal could be struck, though arguably it might be in the best interests of both parties to strike such a deal.

• Ninjitsu

I still don’t see that happening, but yeah, maybe the MacBook Air.

• Ninjitsu

There’s absolutely no need for them to do that. Using Intel parts is the cheapest way to do it for notebooks. In fact, it’s as likely as them putting Core m in their largest tablets.

• blastdoor

I guess we will never know what price Apple pays Intel for Core M, but I would be very surprised if it’s even close to as low as the price of paying TSMC to fab a similarly sized SOC.

Also, going with their own SOC enables them to add in fixed function units that they can use to deliver some product-differentiating feature.

• Ninjitsu

Well, my argument has always been the same:

1) They’ll have to ensure a ton of software is compatible
            2) They’ll completely lose the photography/video crowd
            3) Apple has too much money to really care about paying Intel
            4) TSMC isn’t able to keep up for now
            5) Apple is low volume enough that Intel won’t mind offering more discounts, and has offered them custom solutions in the past.
            6) It’s always going to be easier and cheaper for Apple to leave the SoC design and fabrication headaches to Intel.
            7) In the phone/tablet market they have an actual advantage by doing their own stuff, in this segment they’ll just be trading a lot of performance in practice and on marketing slides.

• blastdoor

1. Not hard.
            2. No they won’t.
            3. People with that attitude somehow never end up having as much money as Apple. Every $1 matters.
            4. They don’t have to.
            5. But this ends when the volume gets to big, and it already has
            6. Not at all clear that it’s cheaper. In terms of marginal cost, Intel is clearly more expensive. The question then becomes whether Apple’s Mac volumes are sufficient to justify the fixed cost of a switch. I think they are.
            7. General CPU performance stopped mattering several years ago. Even Intel now appears to recognize this. All that was old is new again — the future is adequate CPUs paired with specialized fixed function circuitry. The marketing slides won’t focus on SPECint. They’ll focus on the things Apple’s SOCs do really well, thanks to specialized circuitry.

• Ninjitsu

1. Yeah I know, store and all that. But there’s a lot of software not on the store, I presume? (Could be quite wrong, here). I’m thinking mostly of professional tools, compilers and major (existing) cross-platform games.

2. You’re telling me they’d take ARM level performance over Intel?

3. Yeah but there’s also the “penny wise, pound foolish” clause. Is it really worth it to not pay Intel a bit more?

4. Of course they do; if they can’t manufacture low power, high performance chips at the same pace then Apple’s going to be in AMD’s situation w.r.t. processor performance.

5. Macs are still 3-8% of the consumer PC market, depending on the country in question. That’s still fairly small for Intel.

6. Yeah, I guess here’s the main point of disagreement; I don’t see it as worth it.

7. For general web browsing and office applications, yes, I’d agree, CPU performance doesn’t matter. But for the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro segments, it still does, and will always.

I’ll go ahead and add a point 8:
            Intel also controls the platform ecosystem, which Apple and ARM have to keep pace with. When Apple changed from PowerPC to Intel, it really didn’t have to do much itself (except the software stuff). This time it’ll be a [i<]lot[/i<] of effort.

• kamikaziechameleon

the #1 thing slowing adoption of arm is software emulation. 3rd parties won’t support it just because apple pushes it. Adobe and MS have little inscentive to support apple given the past decade of relations, its also such a small slice of the total market it logistically is a nightmare to cater to a specialized fully featured app on a specialized architecture for a specialize OS. Would be a nightmare to support.

Apple can’t go arm till windows x86 finds a way to port its portfolio to arm. 3rd party apps that drive desktop utilization are still so firmly routed in x86.

the move to arm on such a small platform would devestate the user base when their already small selection of apps is cut to a fraction.

The move to arm won’t be pushed by apple, it will be pushed by content creaters fostering a more robust professional toolset on the already existing arm space, android and iOS. From there we will likely see the OSx fazed out for iOS and MS continue to support 2 different OS environment, the professional and casual user aka, x86 and arm for the foreseeable future. This decision (to upkeep backward compatability) will continue to allow Android to flourish for a time longer.

Ultimately I envision what MS is holding out for is to come up with a architecturally agnostic design that can move between the two prevailing CPU interfaces and any future solutions. Atleast they used to speak about that desire before the leadership shake up. I imagine at that time Android will have retreated from an OS to a service suite replacing the current google desktop service suite. The only thing keeping the android model going has been the growing push from google into devices, (Nexus & glass, etc)

• sweatshopking

there are 700 million iOS devices. they’ll just bring over iOS app support to osx and phase out much of the existing software. few years it’ll be OSX looking, but with iOS style arm apps with keyboard and mouse support.
          x86 isn’t coming to arm, and nobody cares, just like nobody cared when apple switched to x86. just like nobody cared when apple does anything they want to do. users suck it up and move on.

• blastdoor

I generally agree…

If you think back to the other brain transplants Apple has done on the Mac (68k to PPC; classic OS to OS X; PPC to Intel) they were all radically more difficult in virtually every respect compared to a hypothetical transition from Intel to ARM. Yet all of those transitions were successful.

The 68k to PPC transition was difficult because at the time it was extremely hard to port software between CPU architectures. A great deal of the OS was written in 68k assembler. It took years before the entire OS, much less apps, was finally ported to PPC.

The classic OS to OS X transition was perhaps even more challenging than the 68k to PPC transition because (1) Apple was starved of resources, (2) Apple had a shrinking user base, and (3) the operating systems were radically different.

The PPC to Intel transition actually was easier. Apple’s marketshare was improving, and OS X made it technically much easier to port software. The hardest part was that there was still a lot of legacy Classic Mac software that had to be supported (so-called “Carbon Apps”)

Moving from Intel to ARM will be even easier than moving from PPC to Intel. Carbon is completely gone now, but more importantly — this is a transition that has already happened! At it’s core, iOS is OS X. Apple’s compilers and development tools are already supporting these two CPU architectures.

People who think there are significant technical obstacles here are living in the (distant) past.

DEANJO AND EU

• glacius555

Coppla more years, and they will qualify as ninja weapons. They should be bendable by that time too.

Jokes aside, it is an impressive piece of engineering, kudos for cramping as much battery as possible!

• drfish

So I got an Asus X305 for work… Why do I care about this twice as expensive version? I guess the key-switches and trackpad are interesting.

• sschaem

I’m also going the x305 route… But this macbook is 30% faster, 30% lighter, smaller, higher resolution screen (compared to the 1080p version).

Not sure but, this model being 16:10 not 16:9, might have more vertical real estate even so its 12″ vs 13.3″

BTW, how do you like the X305 ?

• drfish

Fair enough. I just think the X305 is the perfect balance of price, build, and specs, just better decisions overall. I only spent a couple days with it on on off as I set it up for another coworker but I was totally in love with it – I didn’t use the touchpad much though since I hate all of them and nearly always carry a mouse or trackball instead. If it had a backlit keyboard I would probably have found a way to keep it for myself.

• sschaem

Its to bad Asus is not offering a premium version with a LED backlite keyboard and an option for a faster core M. (And a 14″ edge 16:10 1920×1200 screen)

With those the x305 would be the pinnacle of ultra portable. (And so probably cost >$1000)
          Making the macbook price relatively reasonable.

• tipoo

How is the throttling on that Core M? The Lenovo Yoga 3 had it pretty bad. I’ve heard the Asus locks the clock at its base clock of 800MHz (yep) when the battery is low?

• drfish

During the arduous process of installing Windows updates it stayed parked at 2Ghz pretty much every time I looked. It was clocking up and down a bit but I don’t think it was heat related because it never stayed abnormally low. I didn’t really stress it more than that and I didn’t run the battery down either but I’ve also read that it drops down really low for the last ~20% of the battery. I think you can override that with the Windows power profile though.

• balanarahul

I was hoping for a lightning connector instead of USB Type-C connector but oh well. Maybe next year Apple.

The CPU isn’t really [url=http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_M/Intel-Core%20M%205Y10.html<]Apple's fault[/url<].

• jjj

This netbook is hilarious.
    It’s slower than the Macbook Air so they up the screen res , add a totally unnecessary 8GB of RAM (for 90% of the users, given the SoC) and charge a lot more. It almost makers the Surface look good.
    Next they’ll do a pink ipad with 6GB of RAM at 1000$.

• rahulahl

My sister will jump on that pink iPad. 😛

• ozzuneoj

Yikes. One port, and CPU performance comparable to $400-$600 i3 and i5 laptops… for $1299?

Sure, its thin… but I can’t imagine spending that much for what would be a performance downgrade from my 2 1/2 year old mid range Ivy Bridge laptop.

I guess the ultrabook craze never really did it for me anyway. Sure, it would be neat to have a lighter computer, but I don’t see the point in wanting one to be so thin.

• Peter.Parker

You obviously don’t have a girlfriend. She could you give a few reasons to want to buy something like that, at least for her.

• anotherengineer

I have a wife, an no, she could get another job or work OT if she wanted that.

• thecoldanddarkone

I’m sorry my significant other is much more practical than that.

• Srsly_Bro

Nice generalization you got there.

• ozzuneoj

hehe, my wife has an HP HDX18, the largest laptop I’ve ever seen in person. Try again. :p

• NeelyCam

Is this what Apple users really think…?

hahaha. nice oxymoron.

• sschaem

Remember this is a mac, your price model need to take this into consideration.
      (And this is a usb3.1 port)

Since the 11″ 256GB / 8GB mac book air is about $1200, this model is not extravagant in apple overall lineup. (considering the 16:10 12″ screen and the tweaked features)

Even at $1300, I wouldn’t be surprised if this become Apple best selling laptop (and also outselling any PC ultrabook)
      I have a feeling this thing look extremely ‘sexy’ in person and will impress people when displayed in apple stores.

• ozzuneoj

What I said about how I never really understood paying twice as much for an “Ultrabook” is also how I feel about Macs. Too rich for my blood and in the 17 years I’ve been really into PCs I’ve never felt like I was missing out.

If its all about appearances, that’s fine. I just wouldn’t trade performance or several hundred dollars for it myself.

• sschaem

Its about portability. And yea, looking good (and having a high quality build) doesn’t hurt marketing. Zero moving part and 0db operation also got some value to some.

You can also argue that a 17″ laptop is so much more powerful then a ipad,
          yet million of people find a tablet a better fit for their usage.

In the end I wouldn’t be surprised if the CPU in this laptop is ‘overkill’ for the majority of people.

• sweatshopking

NO QUESTION they will sell a billion of these. NO QUESTION it is overpriced and silly.

• Anovoca

Apple gets thinner? Whaaaaaaaaat.

• Srsly_Bro

contrary to the dimensions of its users

• MadManOriginal

They just need to follow their glorious leader and get cancer.

• bthylafh

I’ll be in my bunk.

• thanatos355

Shake your head, boy. Your eyes are stuck.

• geekl33tgamer

You should get outside more, I hear it has nice graphics…

• ludi

But this is HDTV. It’s got better resolution than the real world.
        [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7hcWFu7q4[/url<]

• Deanjo

[quote<]You should get outside more, I hear it has nice graphics...[/quote<] Needs better AA and G-Sync 😛

Yeah, but it’s not 16:9

• TwoEars

Bendgate 2.0 in 1… 2… 3…

“I crammed my new macbook into my backback and then sat on it. Now it is bent…”

• chuckula

Don’t worry.

The case is made out of Unobtanium and therefore is unbendable!

Pandora cannot escape the wrath of the RDF.

• VincentHanna

So was the titanic.

• ronch

You sat on it wrong.

• DPete27

That was my first thought also. I mean, it’s right there in the article:
      [quote<]...the company took what it learned from making the latest iPhones[/quote<]

• SoundChaos

This is the best article about the new notebooks so far, love the picture, thanks for the post!

• geekl33tgamer

With no expansion ports, this thing is basically an iPad with a keyboard…

• sschaem

ipad can now run OSX and windows software suite? and comes with a 1.3/2.9ghz 14nm boradwell CPU with 8GB of high speed DDr3 ram and 512GB SSD ?

Have you tried to run xcode on an ipad ? you should try, its not all what its cracked up to be….

• geekl33tgamer

You know what I was getting at – The lack of expansion ports on the laptop to make it problematic to use if you want to say dock it into your desk / screen and charge it at the same time.

I would also argue if your using this to do the work you mention, you’re buying the wrong product anyway. 😉

• Ethyriel

Wait, didn’t they announce a new monitor at the same time? I was thinking the external monitor would essentially be a port replicator and charger. Or a device without the display.

There’s a Thunderbolt display that turns the Thunderbolt connector into a USB hub along with the display. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking of.

• Ethyriel

Yeah, but it requires a breakout cable for separate data and power. I was figuring this would mean the same thing with one cable.

Thunderbolt was never meant to charge anything, and I think that’s the difference. A theoretical USB 3.1 display should be able to charge the device, and I’m sure that’s what Apple wants you to do, but right now such a device doesn’t exist (to my knowledge)

• Ethyriel

Exactly. That’s why I’m so surprised they launched this without an external monitor to make the lack of ports more palatable. That would make a negative possible for marketing to twist into a positive.

• geekl33tgamer

But why re-invent the wheel though – Why do Apple always insist on completely ignoring the common standard and forcing something on to people with excessive mark-up?

It wouldn’t kill them to just include HDMI or DisplayPort to connect a display.

• Ethyriel

It’s kind of a neat idea if they end up executing it well enough, and the price drops down to current MBA levels in the next generation or two. Right now it’s exec candy, but with a price drop would be great for sales and student types. Hell, with virtual test environments I don’t need much power in my laptop these days.

But the thing I’m excited about is all the other laptop manufacturers following suit with purely gesture based touchpads. Can’t go wrong with a big, sturdy tracking surface. I’ve been wanting a forcepad on my Thinkpads since Synaptics started talking about them a few years ago.

• sschaem

For sure, this is not a workstation replacement, but the value here is portability.
          You might not want to start a complete rebuild of you 100,000 file project on the train,
          but you can pretty much do anything else.

A 1.1ghz broadwell (turbo 2.4ghz) perform amazingly well.

I haven’t looked into it, but doesn’t USB3.1 support hubs in some form ?

• geekl33tgamer

Of course it supports hubs (It’s backwards compatible with USB 3 and 2 IIRC), but these hubs sure as heck won’t charge the thing at the same time.

So you still have the same problem. 😉

So I can plug it in or I can use an external display, but I can’t do both. Brilliant!

• NeelyCam

But look how thin!! And retina!!

HiDPI is nice, sure, but seriously, eff this thing and its little dog, too.

• bthylafh

Pah, they’ll have a $69 dongle that’ll let you do both those things at once. For another $29 they’ll throw in some extra USB ports! 😛

Honestly, I was hoping the rumor of this thing was false. And after I found it wasn’t, I was hoping for the charger to have an integrated USB hub. I think that’d be an OK compromise.

• Beelzebubba9

Likewise. A $69 dongle isn’t [i<]that[/i<] bad by Apple standards, but it wouldn't have killed them to put a two USB ports on the charger. Or another USB 3.1 Type-C connector on the laptop itself. Either way it seems like a silly limitation.

• trackerben

Reverse the way you look at it. It’s optionally a 2-piece main wire with the optional multiport cable integrating charging and the usual port extensions. This way they get the messy hub offsite from the CPU which remains clear of wires snaking around the sides

• llisandro

I think the dongles are dumb, but shouldn’t they be at least be a lot cheaper now that they don’t have to license Thunderbolt?

• Voldenuit

But what dingus wants to dangle a dongle off their doodad?

• SoundChaos

I can’t believe that with all this energy efficiency improvement and more space for battery, it has 2-3 hours shorter battery life than the still cheaper 13″ macbook air.

• Beelzebubba9

The 13″ Air is a lot larger and has a much less power hungry screen. Plus 9 hours is pretty darn good for anything that tiny.

• alloyD

[quote=”derFunkenstein”<]Brillant![/quote<] FTFY

• sschaem

1) Twice the memory (8GB vs 4GB)
      2) Twice the storage (256GB vs 128GB)
      3) Smaller, thinner, and about 10% slighter
      4) Better Keyboard / trackpad
      5) fanless
      and like you said:
      6) screen is about 10% larger.
      7) 16:10 vs 16:9
      8) 2304-by-1440 VS 1366×768

Just adding 4GB and 256GB SSD to the air make it jump to $1200

So same price with the same configuration, but you get a better and larger screen.
      (and a more portable version, smaller/lighter)

OK so I guess I stand corrected. Still interested in how this single port works.

• sschaem

I also wonder about connection configurations…

But on this subject , one thing I like is how apple designed their C type cable. its nimble.
          Totally changed my perspective on C type (all the other cable I saw look so bulky and ‘dangerous’)

BTW, if this was a windows laptop and sold for $900, I would pre-order this thing right now.

But $1300, and Apple… pass. I will settle with an asus x305.

• SoundChaos

Good context! The new price does actually make sense in some ways compared to the macbook air… But what about when you compare it to a yoga 3 pro? The yoga is .6mm thinner, same ram/ssd size, has a higher resolution and larger screen, is touch screen, starts with the 1.2ghz version of the processor, has more ports, and can fold into a tablet for $1199. The only downsides are a worse keyboard and trackpad, about 2 hours less battery life, and that windows is just awful with HIDPI resolution scaling (and win8 is just awful all around). The Yoga pro is arguably equal in build quality too.

• sschaem

My comment was in no way to validate Apple pricing over other products.
          (Just that Apple charge about the same for a similar spec MBA.)

I’m actually planning on getting an ultra portable, and this macbook is actually EXACTLY what I want. Well, not *exactly* 🙂 The price make it a non option.

Not sure if I’m making the right decision, but ATM I leaning toward the asus X305.
          The biggest difference for my use is the 30% slower cpu then in this new macbook.
          But I cant see myself paying and extra $600 mainly for that.

• NeelyCam

I would like it more if it had 4GB of memory, a 128GB SSD and $200 lower price.

• Forge

OSX like having ram around to abuse. 4GB would not be a good thing in a current model, which is expected to stick around for some years to come.

• nico1982

[quote<]So I can plug it in or I can use an external display, but I can't do both. Brilliant![/quote<] Yep. And they could have avoided this with just a single additional type-c. Meanwhile, the thinner UX305 has three full size usb ports and a card reader, on top of the power port and the audio jack. On top of that, next to the XPS13, those fake bezels are just sad. At 1299 it is laughable. I like Apple hardware, most of it, but this one is just overpriced silliness. And not even best in class.

Turns out I was wrong. For $79 you can get a USB port, HDMI, and a USB 3.1 type C passthrough (presumably so you can do both):

[url<]http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter[/url<] Or USB, Type C, and VGA, if you spent all your money on the computer and have to use an old tube monitor or something: [url<]http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1L2AM/A/usb-c-vga-multiport-adapter[/url<]

• bthylafh

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

😀

You were SO CLOSE!

• bthylafh

Seriously, though, WTAF. Nobody’s going to like looking at that big ugly dongle hanging off their wafer-thin laptop.

That’s a stupid idea.

• adisor19

But no MiniDisplay port adapter ! How am I supposed to connect my external 4K display.

Adi

You’re using it wrong. 😉

• Ninjitsu

Buy one of Apple’s 5K displays which allows you to slot on your MacBook via a magical connector!

• MadManOriginal

So thin and clean in design with only one port, you only need an ugly and inconvenient dongle to make it useful!

• trackerben

Ugly compared to what? Trapezoidal surfaces sprouting several wires from two or three sides?

• balanarahul

Now that Apple is using force touch, everybody will run after Synaptics’ ForcePad. I don’t mind the click less touchpad to be honest as long as it works well all the time.

• ddarko

[quote<]Other than the display, this is a massive downgrade from the MacBook Air.[/quote<] "Other than the display"? Yes, other than the engine, there really is not much difference between the Ferrari and Toyota. The Macbook has a 16:10 IPS panel - REPEAT - 16:10 IPS panel in a portable! And your reaction is the Macbook Air with its crap TFT panel is superior because it can be powered and connected to an external display simultaneously? Talk about missing the forest for the trees. The Macbook Air has an awful display. Even Acer would be embarrassed to use that display. 99% of ultraportable buyers use it 99% of the time as an ultraportable, i.e. unplugged, running off its battery while looking at its screen, not with its lid closed and attached to an external display and wall socket. By any fair yardstick, the Macbook is a MASSIVE upgrade from the Macbook Air. It may not be appropriate for your usage - at least until adapters are released - but that doesn't make it a bad design.

• geekl33tgamer

The MacBook pro had a 16:10 screen too, and a decent selection of expansion ports. Some also had optical drives. The original Air also had better expansion options and performance.

Did your post have a point, as he stated everything is worse other than the screen, but the screen is all you talked about?

• sweatshopking

His point is that the air has a garbage screen.

• Srsly_Bro

YOU RECEIVED THIN. THOU SHALL NOT ASK FOR ANOTHER BOWL OF SOUP!

• sweatshopking

LOVING THAT ALL CAPS! KEEP IT UP!

• smilingcrow

No ports for you – [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA[/url<] (Seinfeld)

• takeship

Don’t worry. I’m sure there will be an exclusively available $99 adapter from Apple that will fix this.

• anotherengineer

It’s the Apple way!!

• EndlessWaves

The external display will act as a power supply so you send video in one direction and receive power in the other. See the various articles on USB Power Delivery/Alternate mode.

On that particular example a single cable is better than two.

Or at least will be in five years time. Of course right now it’s the usual Apple habit of trying to force the future by not supporting the present. In the mean time you can buy their premium peripherals that follow the future as envisaged by Apple.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I do agree generally that one USB port is going to lead to the odd awkward moment when out and about but Apple’s laptops have never been designed for road warriors.

Treat it as a docking port. Whoever complained about their laptop only having one docking port?