Samsung NVMe tech powers HP Z Turbo SSD

Add HP to the list of SSD providers with next-gen NVMe hotness. The company announced its Z Turbo Drive G2 at the NAB show today. Like Intel's 750 Series, the drive combines four PCIe Gen3 lanes with the NVM Express protocol. Zee Turbo is "powered by Samsung NVMe technology," and it looks like a tweaked version of the M.2-based SM951 slotted into an adapter card for HP's Z-series workstations

HP specs the drive for up to 2150MB/s sequential reads and 1550MB/s writes, matching the peak stats for the AHCI-based SM951. But the random I/O ratings are higher: 300k IOps for reads and 100k IOps for writes, up from 130k and 85k IOps, respectively. Samsung teased an NVMe version of the SM951 at its SSD Global Summit last summer, and the Z Turbo may be related to that product.

Configurations are available with 256GB or 512GB of MLC flash. The larger of the two is guaranteed to survive 292TB of total writes, while its sibling is officially good for only 146TB. The smaller drive is also limited to 1260MB/s sequential writes, which is still more than double the peak speed of SATA SSDs.

HP says the Z Turbo will arrive in June at $399 for 256GB and $699 for 512GB, a steep per-gig premium over the 750 Series street prices. The Samsung SM951 isn't sold through typical e-tail channels, and the versions available through RAM City use the AHCI protocol, so it's harder to make a direct comparison there.

• Dissonance

The post originally stated that the Z Turbo’s random I/O specs matched those of the SM951, but they’re actually higher. I’ve corrected the text and added some speculation about drive being related to the NVMe version of the SM951 Samsung revealed last year. My apologies for the error.

• ClickClick5

Mmm, June eh? This means the M.2 MZVPV256HDGL-00000 gumstick should be within that time frame too?

I like this. This pleases me.

• wingless

I have a socket 1155 machine with SLI. I don’t have the PCIe lanes to enjoy this. I’d have to get a $500+ GPU to replace my SLI setup in addition to the cost of one of these SSDs….

/PC Master Race Problems (like first world problems, but even more elite)

EDIT: I’m still going to do it all though.

/PC Master Race!

• killadark

after looking at those prices the topic has changed for me to samsung’s “Nevermind” tech

• DPete27

Creative…they pulled a Samsung SM951 and a PCIe-M.2 card out of a crate, slapped a HP sticker across the SSD and screwed on a HP-branded bracket on the card. This is the company that is supposedly set to revolutionize the world of computing as we know it? (#TheMachine)

• albundy

that sticker is HP’s peripherals tax. putting their logo on other brands is how they stay in business. I’m sure Dell isn’t too far behind.

• jihadjoe

As do all the server vendors. They put on their sticker, some unique identifier for the firmware and add it to their qualification list. Then they mark the price up by 100% or so (IBM did this for their rebadged Intel DC series SSDs) and deny support if they find your company using something that isn’t in their qualified list.

• chuckula

It’s like NVMEpalooza lately.

• tsk

I know right, my wallet is churning!