Three classic Star Trek games are now on GOG

We love our Star Wars here at TR, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a bit of a Trekkie, too. So, you can imagine my delight when GOG announced that three classic Star Trek games—25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, and Starfleet Academy—are now available in its library.

Images: GOG.com

While I was too young to even know what a PC was when 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites came out in the early nineties, they look like a lot of fun. Unlike later Trek games, which tended toward simulators and FPS-style gameplay, these two are point-and-click adventures. They feature voice acting from the original series' cast, as well as sound effects and music lifted from the show. If YouTube playthroughs are anything to go by, that makes for an immersive, authentic atmosphere.

Starfleet Academy is one of the aforementioned simulation games. I have fond memories of this one—it has a remarkably wide-ranging story with challenging missions and complex controls that let you feel like you're really captaining the bridge of a starship. It also features filmed segments with William Shatner, Walter Koenig, and George Takei. I recall a free-flight simulation mode where one could drop into any of a couple dozen starships and just fly around, as well. Yes, I am grinning while writing this.

All three of these games cost $5.99 each, which seems more than fair for those who want to get their Star Trek nostalgia on. Now, if you'll excuse me, I just need to find a joystick…

• Waco

Bought these both on Saturday. I miss games that had to stand entirely on their stories and gameplay.

I never had 25th Anniversary, but I did have Judgement Rites. Being able to play them again has my nostalgia factor going into overdrive. 🙂

• FireGryphon

Star Trek 25th Anniversary is a great game. I played back when it came out and had loads of fun. It was a head of its time, and hails from an era of point- and-click adventure games that doesn’t exist any more. I’ll be picking it up.

• tootercomputer

Oh my, that you tube video of the game is priceless. What a hoot!

• Captain Ned

First ST game I ever played was a text-only game over a DECWriter on a PDP-8/e. Game was written in BASIC and didn’t check its inputs, as one could cheat by specifying a negative speed and the inverse course and arrive where you wanted to be with more gas in the tank.

• Klimax

Still have original box release. of 25th anniversary and Judgment rites. Quite good adventures. For one, after each mission you are evaluated and your crew gets points improving their efficiency. (Don’t know how big effect it had)

Also one of few games which are quite hard to get running especially on MS-DOS 7.0 (Windows 98), because of bug in EMM386, which causes EMS emulation to kill high mem support and thus all required drivers get loaded in base. (Failing utterly in game’s requirements) One had to use extra option RAM with an address range to keep both EMS and high mem.

Fun.

ETA: Also had best bootdisk program. Different boot options which worked for almost every DOS game. (No EMS, EMS, No memory managers,…)

• BIF

Say, has anybody ever heard of a DOS Star Trek game called “Begin”?

It was fascinating to me; no fancy graphics or action, but really pushed my strategy muscles.

• Krogoth

Great, it is time to kill off more redshirts in meaningless deaths. 😉

• Klimax

Don’t know if you played 25th anni, but yeah you can lose them… (but don’t expect then bonus points)

• tanker27

Holy Crap! I’ve been looking for these for years! SOLD!

• l33t-g4m3r

I liked ds9 the fallen, and the voyager series, which had pretty decent multiplayer. DS9 in particular needs some compatibility updates. I might be interested in an Armada update too.

• Bonusbartus

Armada? Try [url<]http://www.fleetops.net[/url<]

• Klimax

I got Fallen running on Windows 8. Not hardest, but updated engine wouldn’t be bad.

This is all well and good, but my favorite Star Trek game was Birth of the Federation. I’d totally GOG the shit out of that.

• swaaye

Yeah would be nice if the Microprose / Spectrum Holobyte games appear. Isn’t BotF pretty buggy though?

I suspect more Interplay games will be coming. Klingon Academy, StarFleet Command, maybe that godawful New Worlds….

• Bonusbartus

You can still get starfleet command 2 on [url<]http://www.dynaverse.net[/url<]. They are even trying to keep everything running for multiplayer gamea, made some patches and a community edition.

• Suspenders

Would love it if they did. One of my fav star trek games is “A Final Unity” by spectrum holobyte. It was sort of like a point and click adventure game with space battles to boot. They best part was it had voiceovers from the complete cast of TNG in the game. Picard was usually on my away missions just for the voice 😉

I’d love to see that one done as a modern day remake. Violating the neutral zone would be more fun in high definition.

• swaaye

I love AFU. It’s definitely not perfect but it has a very strong TNG feel.

It actually had a sort of HD feel to it back in its time because it is one of the first 640×480 + 16bit color PC games and also one of the first with really high quality audio (16bit 22/44KHz). The CG cutscenes looked a lot like the show’s model work and the developers boasted that they’d made camera shots that were impossible to recreate with motion control photography.

• tfp

BotF was fun so where the Starfleet Command games.

I don’t think I ever played them.

• Bonusbartus

Try them, they are good…. Though botf had some bugs. I don’t know if the first one of the sfc series would run on a modern pc…

Guess I’ll need to. For 6 bucks it’s hard to say no.

• tfp

It’s entertaining flying around in a star ship in 2D space blasting away at things. There is a multiplayer part as well.

• Klimax

How about Bridge Commander?

• Suspenders

Yeah, BoTF was awesome. Just as long as a Borg cube didn’t show up on your front doorstep early on in a game. Or ever 😉

• NTMBK

I loved that the Borg cube was properly tough in that game. Not like the silly little things in Armada, where they could easily get destroyed by a single Sovereign class if you got unlucky. If one of those things came cruising through your systems, you were about to have a Bad Time.

• Suspenders

Yeah for sure. The Borg got progressively weaker and weaker as the different series went on, and you see that reflected in the games that came after. They way they did it in BoTF was great, where even fleets of your best ships will have trouble dealing with the Borg.

As it should be.

It really was a great game, basically Civilization/a bit of Total War, in space, with Star Trek as the mythos behind it all. Seeing it come back, or better yet another game like it, would be great and an instant buy from me.

• tfp

Early game all that could be done was ram from what I remember and hope you have enough ships. Cloaked ships made easy work of them.

• Krogoth

Cubes were far stronger than their counterparts in Armada I. They were designed to capture other ships. The main problem was that Cubes were expensive on crew and the Borg burn through crew like candy. So you have to build a ton of Nexuses to get the crew needed for cubes. Nexuses were expensive to build. You were just better off mass producing assimilators.

Fusion Cubes were hilariously overpowered in Armada II. They get shrug off armadas of battleships and most superweapons from other factions like it is nothing.

• Krogoth

BoTF, great concept, terrible execution.

Balance was utterly laughable. Kilngons rape everything until Borg show up and curb-stomp everything. A single cube requires an massive armada of battlecruisers (takes ton of resources/time to make) or better to stance a chance in combat and every world the Cube “assimilates” generates another one. They like to appear near across from your location and rape the AI. See the problem?

• w76

BotF had some mechanics I wish some other 4x titles replicated. For example, pulsars. As they rotated in space, their sensor-disrupting effect rotated as well if I recall, but still various elements made it easy to stealthily hide a fleet and set up ambushes.

• gbcrush

[i<]While I was too young to even know what a PC was when 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites came out in the early nineties, they look like a lot of fun[/i<] Boooo! You whippersnapper! Your ignorance of the classics is destroying my walker! 25th Anniversary was fantastic. First, there was a decent amount of ship-to-ship combat in games (which played out like a lite version of X-wing). And yes, it was point and click...especially once you were away on planet. Because of that there was plenty of time for story and exploration in vein of the Star Trek TV shows. I remember when we landed on one planet where the alien life used a completely different base number system than ours (base 10)... I think there may have actually been two different base number systems due to two competing societies. My friend and I were excited because we had recently started doing actual work in different base number systems in our math class... ...and we promptly f---- up the puzzle and lost the enterprise. D'oh! 😀

• Neutronbeam

Is it an Imperial walker?! ‘Cause that would be cool.

• albundy

if you put tennis balls on the feet of your walker, then you wont tear up the carpet.

• Klimax

Yeah, space combat. Mock battle with another USS ship or how about Trelain in biplane of 1WW? 😀