Perception first-person explorer puts players in a blind

Now, here's something refreshing that we don't get to see every day. The Deep End Games has unveiled Perception, a first-person horror/exploration game with a blind main character.

Players assume the role of Cassie Thornton, who visits an estate with a "Presence" that won't let her leave. So far, so cliché. However, the whole blindness angle looks rather well executed. The game simulates seeing the world through echolocation, with sounds lighting up the environment around you. The video below is quite illustrative:

Cassie is assisted by her cane and by her boyfriend over a smartphone, but due to a storm, the latter isn't always available. You have to keep hiding from the Presence, and you can use objects as diversions. Sound is required to see, but making noise can also be risky.

The project is being funded via Kickstarter, and one of the most interesting stretch goals includes VR support, which sounds quite exciting. You can read more at Polygon.

• Crackhead Johny

Hichhikers Guide did this. Well OK apparently I was supposed to smell until I woke up sniffing peanuts (?) but it never worked. Stupid Infocom games!

Then there was the one where you control 5 robots(?) each with one sense.

• l33t-g4m3r

Great concept, but it would be way cooler if it used something that mimicked A3d where you could actually hear the sound reflections as well as seeing them.

• Meadows

They could – in fact, [i<]should[/i<] - do it that way. I'm not invested in this game so you might want to provide them feedback on Kickstarter. Today's CPUs can do sound processing thrice as good as A3D with no extra hardware needed, so this might be a development goal worth poking them for.

• l33t-g4m3r

CPU’s always could do some level of sound processing. The problem is, there are no software API’s that enable A3d level sound in software, or at least they are so obscure that nobody uses them.

Some thoughts on alternatives:
        Amd’s true audio? Dunno. haven’t really seen it redeem itself.
        OpenAL? Probably one of the better bets, but not perfect either. Several versions are also available…

MS’s software api is supposed to do 3d audio, but lol if I can tell. Developers either aren’t putting in the effort, or the api really isn’t that great, and I’m thinking it’s more the latter. In this case, 3d sound has nothing to do with the performance capability of a CPU, and everything to do with the API that runs the effects. In other words, the CPU’s performance means absolutely nothing, because there isn’t a decent software api available for it.

A3d did [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlQocoJ5gI<]wavetracing[/url<] in real-time. It's not an echo effect, as only EAX 1.0 was solely based on "effects". Is this possible on the CPU? Probably. But I don't know of any software api that advertises this capability. Who knows, it may even be a patent issue.

• Laykun

Game has already been done with a way cooler visualisation: [url<]http://store.steampowered.com/app/368650/[/url<]

• Meadows

Can’t tell if you’re serious.

• psuedonymous

A kickstarter for a first person horror game that uses a very loose definition of echolocation to provide the visual cues for an environment? [url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampixelpi/pulse-reveal-the-world-through-sound/description<]That sounds familiar[/url<].

• VincentHanna

daredevil meets tomb raider?

• anotherengineer

If she is blind does it matter what house she is in????? 😉

If there is food in the fridge and the appliances work, cook on!!

• Meadows

Now there’s something you don’t hear every day.

• ludi

It’s a unique idea, although the echolocation seems an exaggeration. Looks more like an ordinary person stumbling through the dark with a small box of matches. Does make for an interesting atmospheric.

• Sam125

The game sounds a bit too weird for me so I’ll have to pass on Perception. The name of the game is pretty cool though.

• JJAP

Be adventurous, take a chance, test your limits.

• crabjokeman

If they gave Cassie a gun, would that be more your style?

• Anovoca

[quote<] one of the most interesting stretch goals includes VR support [/quote<] Ooooo that would be cool. Also lets remake Alan Wake and Myst for VR while we are at it. The first Myst. Never got around to playing the others. Still waiting for someone to come let me out of the blue book.....

• the

Hrm, I wonder how well RealMyst would work with VR. It has already been adapted to a full 3D world from its original release.

• Techgoudy

[b<]Doll[/b<] : "Have you come to play?" [b<]Cassie:[/b<] "Oh hell no." Looks interesting, but this genre isn't for me.

• chuckula

Yeah, well I can imagine how you and your [b<][i<]GTX-980[/i<][/b<] don't have to worry about playing games with no graphics, but some of us are still stuck with Intel IGPs and are looking forward to finally getting some high framerates with these black-on-black antigraphics!! 😛

• morphine

Yeah, the nerve on some people, sheesh.

• Techgoudy

Lol! The sad part is that all the games I play aren’t really demanding. Even my GTX 770 was overkill besides when I played Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy XIV.

• rahulahl

ikr.
          When I got my 980, I was like.. I’m gonna play all these cool new games at max graphics at 144Hz.
          What really happens is that I spend all my free time playing csgo with reduced graphics <_<