Zotac shows off Kaveri Zbox with quad DisplayPort outs

Zotac is stepping up its mini-PC game with a new Zbox, the MA760, which is based on AMD's FX-7600P APU. The Kaveri-based mobile chip has quad cores clocked up to 3.6GHz, plus Radeon R7 graphics with 512 shader cores running at up to 686MHz. The onboard GPU drives quad (yes, four!) DisplayPort outputs.

Yep, that's a lotta Display Port. Source: Zotac.

The old-school serial port may seem like a strange addition, but given the complement of graphics and network ports, we're guessing this Zbox is aimed at business users and digital signage. Other features include 802.11ac wireless connectivity via a protruding antenna, room for a 2.5" drive and two DDR3 SO-DIMMs, two USB 3.0 ports at the back plus one on the side, and a card reader with an integrated USB port.

At 7.4" x 7.4" x 2" (18.8 x 18.8 x 5.1 cm), the Zbox is smaller than most PCs but larger than the average NUC. Zotac includes a VESA monitor mount, so you can tuck the beast away, lest it bite someone.

The MA760 will be available in a barebones config and as a Plus variant with a 500GB mechanical hard drive and single 4GB SO-DIMM.

• TheFinalNode

With the fairly large improvement in performance per watt it will bring, I’m looking forward to Carrizo-based mini-PCs. If the price is right on those (and has HDMI unlike this one), I’ll pick one up for a friend who just wants a small footprint. I like the ability to mount one of these behind a monitor.

• RdVi

Thanks for the metric conversions Bruno. I might cop some flack for this but I wish Techreport would take the small amount of time to do this for all measurements/weights mentioned in articles and reviews.

Just the opinion of a non-American TechReport reader.

• Takeshi7

You non-Americans always complain about America, but then you expect us to convert our units for you. Get out!

• RdVi

How far in Kilometres would you like me to get out?

• curtisb

Around 3500 miles. 😉

• morphine

You’re welcome 🙂

I don’t like when there are only imperial measurements too, but hey, the audiences are where they are.

• willmore

One might almost think that the audience of the Tech Report, regardless of location, would have learned Metric units.

• willmore

I didn’t see it mentioned in the article, but is there price estimates on these?

• gigafinger

My OCD kicked in when I saw those DisplayPorts.

• Growler

It supports horizontal [i<]and[/i<] vertical cables. The new RightAngle Ports are one of the biggest selling points.

• gigafinger

Don’t people buy appropriate cables when setting up their displays? I would prefer all ports in a vertical orientation and just use regular straight cables. Right angle cables and adapters add a lot of stress to the ports unless fully supported and I would only use them if I HAD to. And also why isn’t one of the USB ports rotated 90-degrees if this is so desirable? Sounds like the only way to get the four ports on there was do what Chrispy_ said below.

Actually it has a handy side-effect:

Although it’s probably laid out that way to avoid some capactiors or something underneath the leftmost two ports, it means that even if you have cables with stupidly bulky connectors, at least one orientation will work for at least three simultaneous displays.

• the

The combo SD card slot and USB port has my OCD alerting.

• willmore

That is probably the oddest I/O port I have ever seen on a computer and I remember the video port that old Sun monitors used.
        [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB13W3[/url<]

• the

The DB13w3is the child of VGA and this video connector:

[url<]http://www.gifford.co.uk/~coredump/pmagb_big.jpg[/url<] By providing better shielding on the RGB signal, picture quality is enhanced. This combo USB + SD card slot has no real benefit.

• willmore

I remember those! We had those in our DECstations.

• curtisb

And that upside down COM port…