Lian-Li computer desks put regular cases to shame

Pfft, computer cases. That’s old hat. What you need these days is a computer desk, and Lian Li just added two models to its desk chassis lineup: the DK-Q2, and its fancier cousin, the DK-03.

The Lian-Li DK-03 in all its glory

These desks are topped with a tempered glass surface that sits on an all-aluminum frame. Each desk features a removable motherboard tray with cable management holes for easier system-building. CPU coolers are limited to a rather short 3.5" (90 mm) tall, but these desks can handle graphics cards up to 17.3" (440 mm) long. Two rows of four 120-mm fans on each end of the desk provide cooling airflow.

The DK-Q2 will host an ATX motherboard, up to seven 3.5" and eight 2.5" hard drives or SSDs, and a single radiator up to 480 mm long. The DK-03 packs a double-whammy: it can hold two motherboards. The main board can be as large as an SP-ATX unit, while the second is limited to mini-ITX. This monster can hold up to twenty drives—ten 2.5" drives and another 10 3.5" units—and two 480-mm radiators.

Lian-Li offers an optional RGB LED lighting kit with LED strips, a dimmer, and a knob-based controller. Given the sheer size of these cases, and the aluminum-and-glass construction, these desks don’t come cheap. Lian-Li prices the DK-Q2 at $990, while the DK-03 goes for $1490. Both desks will be available by the end of June at Micro Center.

• d0g_p00p

I would love one of these but they need to be at least half of the price they are asking for. These are vary basic and plain looking as well (ok, except the LED light options) which I like, same fashion like mechanical keyboards.

I hope another quality case maker will make their version for a cheaper price or Lian Li will make a “value” version or something.

• cygnus1

[quote<] Lian Li will make a "value" version or something. [/quote<] Does not compute.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Given the location of the four fans at the right side of the desk, why isn’t the motherboard swung through 90 degrees to facilitate better airflow across it? Not to mention the PSU directly blocking 1-21/2 of the fans. Strange design choice.

• floodo1

990 seams cheap for how crazy this is compared to even crazy highend cases.

• UberGerbil

So am I the only person that looked at that first picture and thought “This computer case…. is a foosball table?”

• ludi

A winning game is when the computer still works afterward.

• Antias

Hmmm, wonder if you can actually sit at it properly. Often find desks that have draws in them (same height difference here?) sit too low on the legs to be comfortable. Otherwise the concept is fine 🙂

• cygnus1

I was coming to post about that. The bottom of the drawer is only about 2′ off the ground. These “desks” are too short for me.

• MixedPower

It’s a shame that it has that much aluminum and isn’t using it as a heatsink. I would find it much more interesting if they scrapped the fans and integrated a passive water cooling system into it. Not that I’m going to be spending over a G on a desk anytime soon, but if I were I wouldn’t mind throwing in a couple hundred extra for it.

• Srsly_Bro

A desk half the height for the component section would be much better. This looks like like a table than a computer desk.

• krazyredboy

Sooooo… They copied me?

Well, almost, anyway?

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=582384#p582384[/url<]

• Generic

I’m sorry.

Was there something we were suposed to look at besides the Fo-3D eagle and Star Trek fan photo?

• September

Scroll down.

• krazyredboy

Nope… No, that’s exactly what I was referring to.

And my Fo-3d Eagle was da bomb… just sayin’…

• ludi

On the plus side, you can submit your prior art in an amicus brief whenever Lian Li decides to go patent crazy.

• krazyredboy

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56079[/url<] Not to mention this, as well. It's not like I would have been the first person to ever think of it, anyway... I'd... ya know... just like some credit... just a little...

• Ninjitsu

This is really great – and really expensive! Seems like something that could be very useful though. Saves a lot of space, is aesthetically pleasing and is functional in terms of cooling. Just needs drawers now.

• Kretschmer

“Hey, thanks for inviting me to the LAN party! I’ll just go and throw MY DESK into the trunk.”

• tanker27

LAN parties……are the still a thing?

• sweatshopking

yeah. sometimes.

• burntham77

If you have awesome friends, yes. (I don’t have awesome friends.)

• chuckula

With all those fans moving air in that table, all you need to do is poke a bunch of small holes in the top and… AIR HOCKEY!

• Shobai

or spill your thickshake all over your computer, whichever comes first

• The Egg

That’s really really nice, and a great idea. Hopefully someone else will see this and do the same thing…..for half the price.

• Anovoca

Looks more like a mini foosball table than a desk.

• albundy

for a grand, it’s very expensive. I’d say there’s three lian li cases worth of aluminum in that desk. the all metal design will make it cold to the touch in the winter time especially when your wrists rest on the metal. wood will always bring character.

• tanker27

I really, really, really want one of these but dang that price!

• Deanjo

They should have made this with power adjustable height option like these desks

[url<]https://myupdesk.com/powerup/seriesIII/black-large[/url<]

• invinciblegod

Problem: The desk is too thick for a healthy posture. The legs has no where to go so you have to lower the chair which raises the desk relative to your arms.

The Red Harbinger cross desk is still much nicer looking and has a better design too. Also, it costs twice as much and is sold out.

• TwoEars

Yes. No one realizes this but you’re spot on.

• nanoflower

It was one of the first questions that came to mind. The desk isn’t designed to be raised or lowered so if it’s not perfect for your height you will have to adjust.

• geekl33tgamer

Electronics that generate heat under a glass plate. Where have I seen [url=http://cdn-cms.pgimgs.com/news/2015/01/ceramic-hob.jpg<]that[/url<] before... 😉

• Prestige Worldwide

DAT ASTRONOMICAL PRICE DOE

• sweatshopking

NICE ALL CAPS!

• Prestige Worldwide

THANKS!

• Kretschmer

Enter the apprentice..Darth Prestige.

• NeelyCam

Well, it comes with full desktop hardware inside.

Huh… it doesn’t? This is a [b<]$1000 computer case!!??!![/b<] Lol, these guys are cray cray

• l33t-g4m3r

Eh, it’s a desk. You can DIY for less.

• krazyredboy

Not to toot my own horn, but see my other comment.

• nico1982

Cool, I guess, but I wonder if and how they handled high-frequency vibration from the fans.

• sweatshopking

I think this is actually an awesome idea, but I can build my own out of wood and metal fasteners for about 50$. I might just do that.

• l33t-g4m3r

Hivemind… This product is just there to appeal to lazy people with disposable income. The profit margin on this thing must be like 90%.

• sweatshopking

yeah. you’re right. rich people are stupid. WTF. WHEN DID YOU GET GOLD?!?!!? PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU [i<] ALWAYS [/i<] upvote me. we're basically BFF's now.

• l33t-g4m3r

Ditto.

• sweatshopking

you know i will.

• MadManOriginal

Don’t forget the duct tape there, Red Green.

In SSK’s case, his wife finds him neither handsome nor handy.

• Captain Ned

And he can’t keep his stick on the ice.

• invinciblegod

I doubt it. I built one myself and the glass top alone cost $170. Then you add the wood which costs about $120. The lacquer cost $50, stain costs $30. The screws cost $15, polishing wax $10, sandpaper $10, and steel wool $10. Then I had to buy a few tools such as hole saws ($40), new drill because it broke my old one ($100), and polisher. Then there are specialized drill bits, PC 5.25″ hard drive bays or similar to hold your storage, mounting screws, etc. Cutting those to size is extremely hard unless you have good tools. Then you add in the 3 months of time to build it.

• boskone

Those were my thoughts, pretty spot-on. I _could_ build one cheaper, but would it be as nice? 2x4s and wood screws aren’t the same class as anodized aluminum.

And once you factor in the costs for mounting hardware for the components, extending wiring so it’s neat, labor costs, etc I doubt it’s as cheap to build as people seem to think.

That said, I would prefer a wood one, based solely on aesthetics. And I’ll maybe do one myself so I can make it how I like it, and because I enjoy building things and it seems like a fun project.

• sweatshopking

that’s because you’re doing it differently than me.
        how much you think some 2×4 and a piece of plywood costs? who said anything about staining and proper pieces?

• Lans

Sure the components they use cost a pretty penny but my idea would to be [b<]hide[/b<] the PC as opposed to displaying it so it would look like a normal wooden desk and a silent/near silent PC hidden somewhere instead.

• ChicagoDave

Can you share some pictures of your table? Very interested to see how it turned out.

• Forge

What he said.

• Deanjo

So you put no value on your time spent doing so?

• l33t-g4m3r

No, it’s a fun project for your spare time, like gaming. If you’re going to limit yourself to only doing paid work, you life must be pretty boring, not to mention expensive. I can just imagine how much it would cost to pay landscaping, instead of mowing your own grass.

• Deanjo

That’s fine, just don’t present an argument that brings in monetary value however to dismiss the price of a pre-made product.

I can change my oil in my vehicles as well for a bit less but in the end it is just faster and worthwhile to stop at the dealership and let them do it. No having to worry about disposing of the old filter and oil, no mess for me, done in minutes, no needing tools on hand, etc.

And BTW, I think SSK is underestimating the cost of the build as well. A sheet of tempered glass that size would chew up that $50 alone.

• sweatshopking

Wtf do I need tempered glass for. I’m not underestimating anything. You’re argument is false and silly. Everything could be claimed to be easier to pay somebody to do it. It’s faster to have somebody else do my laundry. It’s easier for somebody else to wipe my butt. L33ts point is completely valid.

• MrJP

If you’re not bothered about the glass top, is it really that much different to attach an existing PC case to the underside of an existing desk?

• sweatshopking

Nope, and that’s actually a solid idea.

• Lans

Yeah, for $990 or $1490, I was hoping it’ll be a passive case… um… desk.

For that price range, I could probably do something along line of passive case myself.