Arkham Knight gets first patch, improvement plans

After sales of Batman: Arkham Knight were unceremoniously halted last week, it would appear that the game's development team is hard at work ironing out some of the game's wrinkles. In a post shared on the Steam Community forums Saturday, WB Interactive vice president Gary Lake-Schaal announced the first patch for Arkham Knight, which contains the following fixes:

• Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
  • Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
  • Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

Lake-Schaal also shared a roadmap for other planned Arkham Knight fixes, which will address the following problem areas:

• Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
  • Fix for low resolution texture bug
  • Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
  • Add more options to the graphics settings menu
  • Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
  • Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptops
  • Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
  • NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
  • Enabling AMD Crossfire
  • NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

If the development team can carry through on those fixes, Arkham Knight might offer a considerably better experience for PC gamers. Scott has the game up and running in Damage Labs, so we'll continue to monitor progress on that front from here on out.

• kuraegomon

Once upon a time, this was called …. finishing the game.

• crystall

Amen to that

• glacius555

“Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu”

Lol, this one is pure gold. Last game I played that was locked to 30 FPS was Dead Space. And I didn’t care!

Hmm. Looks like the biggest problem is elsewhere..

• anotherengineer

“Arkham Knight gets first patch, improvement plans”

Hmmmm I didn’t see change game engine and completely redo and optimize code for PC in there?!?!?!??!

A new engine would basically kill it. Refund everyone and cancel the project. It’d take way long.

• Laykun

Nothing wrong with the current engine, just needs a little TLC.

• Milo Burke

[quote<]Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game[/quote<] Isn't that a feature? Exits the game quicker than the competition?

• xeridea

There was a crash on exit on a game released in the 90s, I forget what it was. They didn’t have time to fix the crash, so the hex edited the error message to say “Thanks for playing (game name)” on the command line. Perhaps they should have copied this feature.

• MEATLOAF2

That is highly amusing to me for some reason, and I can kind of respect the decision, too. Easy fix, and quite clever.

• watzupken

This is a very unfortunate case where it shows the poor QC of the game maker. Regardless whether its outsourced to another company to port the game to PC, it is still ultimately the gamer makers’ responsibility to ensure the game at a minimal runs normally. This seemed like a rush and shabby job on their part. From observation, this is also sadly becoming a norm for all these AAA titles. So for me, I avoid rushing to get a new game until its discounted so I don’t pay a lot and at the same time, having to put up with poor optimizations and bugs.

“AAA” means “big publisher”

“Big publisher” means “shoddy console port”

The exceptions to this rule are so few and far between that people heap praise on mediocre gameplay simply because it’s not a shoddy bug-infested disaster.

Indie gaming is where it’s at.

• tanker27

There are some exceptions to that. But very few and far between.

Would you consider CDPR to be an indie publisher/studio?

• Dextruction5

No, but instead their game lags on consoles and can’t even keep a steady 30fps, even though they removed some of the features due to console compatibility and performance. However, I do have to agree with you that very few companies make good ports for the PC.

• ish718

The joker is laughing at all the people that bought this game.

• kuttan

Just ignore low quality games even it were a big AAAA game. Only through lack of sales these game developers will think about of releasing quality games. Incidents of releasing low quality buggy game is not the first time with Batman: Arkham Knight. Assassin’s Creed Unity, BF4 etc all had serious issues while it launched. Never pre -order any PC game. Buy the game after it releases if it were really playable and enjoyable. If the game released were buggy wait for the developers to fix all serious issues then buy.

• superjawes

I would agree with this, but now that Steam offers refunds, it might be better to buy the game, leave a negative review, then get the refund.

I don’t mean to abuse the system, but I don’t think a pure boycott is as effective when companies can bolster sales on consoles. Giving them money via pre-order then taking it back will put a real dollar amount on their incompetence, and that will give them a measurable reward for getting the game right (and getting it right the first time).

• Lans

I think refund is much more effective because if you don’t buy the game, they don’t know if you were a potential customer in first place. However, you buy the game and then demand a refund because of xyz then they know for certain that they just lost a customer.

• tanker27

I think this is dubious. I can almost bet that Steam/Valve doesn’t report back the amount of refunds given. It’s not unlike Valve to offer information freely about things going on with Steam.

Your best bet is to NOT pre-order and NOT to buy the game until after release and real reviews are given.

I’m sure they report those numbers to the publisher, which is the most important reporting body.

• tanker27

I can’t find anything about that they would do this. One would hope they would, but again Valve has traditionally been tight lipped about metrics with Steam before.

With the public, sure. If I’m expecting a dollar amount from selling my wares on Steam and I get less, I’m going to want an explanation as to why.

• tanker27

Good point.

• Bauxite

Actually, its a safe bet that Valve is giving detailed reports with these refunds. Its not likely the bigger publishers on steam would have agreed to this without access to the data.

• auxy

…what do you even think they do? How would they not report refund numbers? lol. Steam pays by the sale. Lose a sale, lose the money.

Anyway, regardless of money, Steam absolutely does report to indie developers refund numbers, and I don’t know how they could report it to us and not to big publishers.

• tanker27

Why would I think it? Easy like I said before Valve/Steam hasn’t been exactly transparent with its metrics to consumer before. So why shouldn’t they act the same way to publishers.

Anyways thanks for letting know that you ( Indie devs) do get some sort of metrics.

• Lans

I’ll just say up front, I find your argument of not reporting dubious also.

If we are betting here and suppose Steam/Valve does in fact report nothing to publisher/developer of said game:

Steam/Valve might be big enough to negotiate a good deal on credit card processing fee but I still don’t think all those refund would be completely free for them. I can’t see why Steam/Valve won’t want to minimize this. Plus even if Steam is a great game distribution platform, if it is plagued by lousy game releases, the user experience is still negatively impacted. All in all, I find it hard to believe Steam (not sure about Valve, being another game developer) won’t want to help in having great games.

On other side, if game developer/publisher seems all these comment claiming to request a refund for xyz and don’t do anything about it (find out how bad problem is etc) then perhaps game is not worth supporting in first place.

• tanker27

You do know Valve owns and maintains Steam right?

As for comments to this See my other comment. :/

• green

[quote<]The Only Winning Move is Not to Play.[/quote<]

• swaaye

The world isn’t ready for a AAAA game!

• SetiAlpha69

Before the patch the game looked awful with no AO or Gameworks effects working. When I played it Sunday morning after the patch it looked a ton better. The water sliding off Batman’s cape looks sweet. The only thing it is still using an obscene amount of vram……to the tune of 3.8GB…..out of the 4GB on my GTX970.

• Alexko

“Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu”

Why is it even locked to 30 FPS in the first place?

• Topinio

Because it can’t manage much more than that. Even with my R9 290X, it doesn’t get much over 40 FPS when the .ini is edited to move the cap up to 150.

This patch improves performance a bit, I replayed the first 10 minutes and as well as framerate being up a bit across the percentiles, the high percentile performance cliff is shifted up a bit further too. Nice (quick) work Rocksteady.

• tanker27

That’s still terrible for an Unreal Engine 3. To ditto what SSK said, this is an 11 year old engine!

• swaaye

UE3 can mean almost anything. I bet it’s more complex than 2007 UE3 games. 😉

• Kretschmer

Because consoles.

Nah, this terrible port isn’t the console’s fault.

• willmore

Do the consoles do more than 30 FPS? Maybe they did something silly in the engine that wasn’t an issue until the PC port started.

• Milo Burke

It is, because if consoles didn’t exist, it would have been developed for PC’s and not need to be ported. =]

Touche. 😉

On a larger scale, I don’t get why everybody hates everybody else. Consoles vs. PCs, AMD vs. nVidia, etc. If one’s identity is getting wrapped up in how a company’s product performs, maybe it’s time to re-examine how one gets one’s identity.

I have a little bit of everything. Consoles going back to the NES, two relatively speedy PCs (Haswell i5-4570 and R9 280 for my wife, i5-3570K and GTX 970 for myself), Android and iOS devices – I even have a 3rd gen Apple TV and an nVidia Shield Android TV plugged into the same TV with a Wii U and Xbox One. There are no winners or losers in my house; there’s only fun to be had.

On that note, I might have too much stuff.

• Milo Burke

Haha, I think you do have too much stuff. Better send some of it my way. =]

It appears to be a very common theme to live vicariously through one’s passions. Like the guy that lives and dies on his favorite pro sports team’s wins and defeats, or the parent that cares more about their daughter in gymnastics or their son in football than even the kid does.

I wonder why this is. Perhaps because we’re all raised to believe we’re so special, so smart, so attractive, that the world revolves around us. Then we discover this isn’t actually true, but we so much want to make it so… Guess we need a psychologist or sociologist to chime in on this. =]

But yeah, AMD or Nvidia, Apple vs Android: use what you like and make decisions based on what each offers at their various price points. I worry about people who get so emotionally wrapped in tech as some of the fanboys we see periodically…

Well if MLB finds a way to make regional sports networks happy and play local games on MLB.tv (or if Unlocator fixes whatever is wrong with its service on the Xbone) you can have the Apple TV. At this point that’s all I’m really using it for. I could cast from my PC to the Shield, but it’s a pain in the rear since it’s in the other room.

• Kretschmer

No, but I imagine that the 30FPS cap is a crossover from consoles.

maybe, but lazy/rushed/poor porting is to blame for it being on the PC still, not the mere existence of a console version.

• willmore

Who cares about Batman?

The new version of Terraria releases tomorrow!!!!

• Zizy

Huh, they still make Terraria updates or what? I thought everyone moved on to Starbound.

• ImSpartacus

Nah, terraria is still one of the most popular games on steam. I believe it dwarfs starbound in users.

• willmore

The huge 1.3 update is inbound. It may be the last one, but it’s gonna be big.

• lilbuddhaman

Nope, everyone jumped on starbound thinking it would be awesome and it turned out to be wasted potential. Their updates went to a crawl and the very limited content they have got boring. I’m thinking the devs got poisoned by the sudden influx of money.

• auxy

Nah, devs are a bunch of bohemian indie hipsters and there was relationship drama in the team for a while. I understand things are back on track and moving along smoothly (if glacially slow) now. Updates are pretty frequent.

• lilbuddhaman

glacially slow = failed/cash grab project. They will run out of money soon then it’ll all go downhill.

• JustAnEngineer

7,357 negative reviews out of 11,818.
    [url<]http://store.steampowered.com/app/208650/#app_reviews_hash[/url<]

• superjawes

The beatings will continue until performance improves.

• Milo Burke

I’ve got to imagine that, now that Steam users can return games, this permanent glut of negative reviews will hurt the developer more than delaying the PC version an extra 2-4 weeks for optimization would have.