Retail Fury X coolers still whine, don’t include fix

In my review of the Radeon R9 Fury X, I noted a rather annoying sound emanating from the card. I explained the problem like so:

Despite its many virtues, our Fury X review unit does have one rather obvious drawback. Whenever it's powered on, whether busy or idle, the card emits a constant, high-pitched whine. It's not the usual burble of pump noise, the whoosh of a fan, or the irregular chatter of coil whine—just an unceasing squeal like an old CRT display might emit. The noise isn't loud enough to register on our sound level meter, but it is easy enough to hear. The sound comes from the card proper, not from the radiator or fan. An informal survey of other reviewers suggests our card may not be alone in emitting this noise.

This high-pitched whine is annoying enough to constitute a major drawback from a $650 video card, so naturally, I asked AMD about the problem. In response, I got the following statement from AMD:

AMD received feedback that during open bench testing some cards emit a mild "whining" noise. This is normal for most high speed liquid cooling pumps; Usually the end user cannot hear the noise as the pumps are installed in the chassis, and the radiator fan is louder than the pump. Since the AMD Radeon R9 FuryX radiator fan is near silent, this pump noise is more noticeable.

The issue is limited to a very small batch of initial production samples and we have worked with the manufacturer to improve the acoustic profile of the pump. This problem has been resolved and a fix added to production parts and is not an issue.

At the time, this statement seemed remarkable for its confidence that the "problem has been resolved" and "is not an issue," especially given the incredibly short span of time—less than a week—between our receipt of a Fury X review unit and the start of retail sales.

Also, I didn't want to quibble with it at the time, but I don't agree with the characterization of the problem in the first paragraph. I think it downplays the severity of the issue; the noise is unique among the liquid-cooling systems I've used, including the one on the Radeon R9 295 X2.

After getting this statement, we requested that AMD send us an example of a retail unit with a the pump fix in place. Beyond that, prior to our review, all we could do is report our observations and wait to see what folks found when they had retail Fury X cards in their hands. Dummy me, I didn't think to do what the folks at PC Perspective did: order up a couple of retail cards from Newegg and test it themselves.

Their report on the results  is kind of science-y, replete with frequency analysis plots and such, but you don't need the graphs to understand the basic problem. The current batch of retail Fury X cards does not include an effective fix for the problem we found. They still whine. Worse yet, the retail cards sometimes seem to make other noises that the review samples do not, including apparent buzzing sounds from the pumps.

To get a better sense of what I'm talking about, click through to the article and listen to the WAV file with +12 dB gain. This sound file includes noise from several Fury X cards and a GeForce GTX 980 Ti for comparison.

I will say, though, that the microphones and speakers involved in recording and playing back this sound don't seem to capture entirely the frustrating character of the high-pitched whine. Something about it puts my monkey brain on edge, as if a teeny, tiny version of nails on a chalkboard were playing constantly in the background.

In addition to the PC Perspective report, a number of videos have popped up on YouTube in recent days showing off Fury X pump noise, including the whine but also rougher sounds. I hesitated to post about them since the extra noise didn't track with our experience, but it all seems to fit with PC Perspective's findings. Here's one example:

There are additional examples here, here, and here.

Of course, it's possible some Fury X cards don't whine and don't make other grating noises at all. We don't have a comprehensive survey of retail cards at our disposal. But it does appear AMD's statement about the Fury X noise problem being fixed and "not an issue" was more wishful thinking than an accurate assessment of the current situation. Caveat emptor.

• ermo

So, Lisa Su wants AMD to be seen as a top performer and orders her GPU, product design and legal departments to come up with solution that will be seen as high end in both performance and quality with the added bonus of being nearly silent.

All departments give it their best shot and the end result is that that the fans whine loudly?

[i<]*ba-dum ptshh*[/i<] Yep, definitely an albatross rather than a hole-in-one.

• novv

Please TR just try to be more accurate about this ([url<]http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x-pump-silent-solves-noise-issue/[/url<]). And also [url<]http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-fixes-r9-fury-x-whining-noises.html[/url<].

• tootercomputer

Hmm, that’s interesting. It does indeed look like AMD has attended to this issue.

• K-L-Waster

Let’s not be taking the rumour sites word for it, shall we?

• JumpingJack

Your post seems to indicate more whine and it certainly does not seem to be fixed.

• mtruchado

This is the price to pay to go cutting edge I guess…

• James296

but which one. there seems to be two different pumps out in the wild. the only way to tell is by taking out the cover looking at the pump itself (a change in the CM logo is the telltale).

[url<]http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_s_revised_r9_fury_x_-_pump_whine_issues/1[/url<]

• K-L-Waster

I think the real takeaway from this is, don’t buy release day hardware. Wait for the manufacturers to work out the kinks first, and for custom coolers etc. from the card manufacturers. The danger with buying bleeding edge hardware is, you may be the one that ends up bleeding.

Kinda goes along with the “don’t buy release day games” mantra many of us are now following…

• Ninjitsu

Don’t buy release day operating systems, even if free…

Long list these days, unfortunately. πŸ™

• tbone8ty

you guys still haven’t updated the article? techreport is slaacking lately.

• K-L-Waster

Updated with what?

• Damage

Waiting on confirmation from AMD about… anything. See here: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/28566/retail-fury-x-coolers-still-whine-dont-include-fix?post=919406[/url<]

• ronch

[u<]F[/u<]ury [u<]X[/u<]. Hmm..

• ronch

I dunno about you guys, but I have this unshakable perception that AMD products are not first rate. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been using AMD CPUs straight for almost 8 years now (which would’ve been 16 years straight if I didn’t get a Pentium 4 back in 2004) and I’ve been using AMD/ATI graphics since 2004. But the thing is, when you buy an Intel or Nvidia product, you just kinda feel like you got something from a company that really knows what it’s doing. With AMD, it’s like the product COULD BE better but isn’t, so it’s sold off at a lower price to make it more appealing. And it’s true for AMD since they fell behind almost 10 years ago, isn’t it?

Don’t flame me for this. Lisa Su did admit that they want to be seen as a tech leader, not the lower cost option. And you can’t just price your stuff as high as your competition even when your product falls to match up, as is the case with the Fury X, so people are wondering why they’d get a Fury X instead of a 980Ti. AMD NEEDS to put out BETTER products with no heat issues, no driver issues, no bugs, no performance issues, etc. to be able to demand and justify higher prices.

• TopHatKiller

…yeah, well, I know. AMD has to beat everyone in every way: or people say they suck.
      …worse I read an interview with the new CEO where she suggested it’ll take 3 to 5 years for AMD’s products to make significant inroads in the market.
      I blame AMD marketing. And you, obviously.

• ronch

AMD products don’t suck, and there’s nothing wrong with them except for the TLB bug that soiled the Barcelona launch many years ago. I’m just talking about how this market works. And if AMD keeps making products that fall short of the competition, they won’t be seen as the leader, but a mere 2nd place finisher in a 2-horse race.

• nanoflower

Well, given the price they are charging for this card I would say they do need to do much better. They want to charge premium products but the performance isn’t quite there. Now, maybe that’s due to early drivers and AMD will fix that over time, but by the time they do most people will have made their impression of the Fury-X and have moved on. Adding a cooler that introduces a whine that many people (not just here at TR or over at PCper) have noticed and complained about isn’t going to help them convince people to give them a try.

• Laykun

I was seriously considering a Fury X but pulled the trigger on the 980 Ti before I even saw a Fury X review. I knew that buying into nvidia I had security in my purchase, which recently, has not been the case for me with an AMD video card. I think AMD has lost a lot of consumer trust by having second rate driver support and sub-par products at the high end of the spectrum. This was the reverse 10ish years ago when ATi was revered for having the cutting edge GPUs, and what caused me to originally switch to an ATi gpu (x1900xt).

The only AMD products I still use are in my file server as that’s the only place I feel confident in the performance and reliability of their products.

• MrJP

I tend to agree with you. However having had an otherwise solid laptop suffer premature death due to the Nvidia solder bump problem, it will be a long time until I consider buying their products again while a realistic alternative exists.

Of course this demonstrates the damage that can be done to a company’s reputation when they make a mistake (especially if they fail to handle it properly), but the few odd niggles I’ve had to put up with with AMD kit over the years have paled into insignificance when compared with a dead laptop.

• lycium

I agree with you, but I think a lot of that is psychology relating to higher prices. If you’ve paid a premium for something, you’ve already mentally convinced yourself it’s a premium product.

• Kaleid

Umh, like when they released a driver which burned cards?

Or being responsible for 40% of Vista crashes?

Or Ntune which caused BSOD?

But it “feels” good.

And in many ways AMD has been a tech leader. First to adopt to new DX standards, first with GDDR5, first with proper consumer 64bit CPUs, first with tesselation type of technology (which didn’t become a standard), and now first with HBM memory, which they helped to develop.

“AMD NEEDS to put out BETTER products with no heat issues, no driver issues, no bugs, no performance issues”
      If it was up to these standards then neither Nvidia nor AMD could release anything.

• dragosmp

AMD products can work well if tweaked, but at default the are “could be, but aren’t”, I completely agree

Launch drivers are notoriously bad, but 6 months after the launch the 2 interns in their driver team manage to catch up. Old CPUs were good until Phenom II, but they were so much better compared to the Intel alternatives if undervolted and generally tweaked. One may say that AMD hardware ages better than Nvidia – just look at the 290X vs the 780Ti who were launched around the same time and performed quite similarly at fist, now the AMD card is visibly the 780ti.

Their problem is just that they can’t make the darn’ drivers work from the beginning, it’s like they’re surprised by the launch – oooh a new GPU, should we write some software maybe?

• LoneWolf15

Of all the Intel CPUs you got in 16yrs, you get the crappiest one?

• wiak

New pump revision incoming (now that was fast)
    [url<]https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3bvdyi/new_pump_revision_for_fury_x/[/url<]

• chuckula

The old pump was perfectly fine and there was nothing wrong with it.
      BEHOLD THE NEW PUMP!

• Concupiscence

Some of the reaction speed’s just perception management – if there [i<]is[/i<] a problem, by gum, we'll fix it before it affects many people - but it still sucks that this is another stick in the eye of a troubled launch.

• Damage

FWIW, we asked AMD for an update on this story yesterday afternoon and were eventually told that they didn’t have any comment yet. We are still waiting for word from AMD.

If there is a new pump revision, one would expect a recall and such, so perhaps that’s why they’re not acknowledging anything. Who knows? Nobody yet, officially speaking.

• tootercomputer

Maybe there’s no official acknowledgement because it’s 4th of July weekend and all the decision-makers are already on holiday.

• Pholostan

Probably. I think there will be some info come monday.

• K-L-Waster

Maybe – but until there is official confirmation, no news is no news. Nothing to report ….

• moose17145

Wont lie… i still really like the r9 fury. The tech inside of it is awesome and very innovative and different from anything else out there. I feel like AMD has a definite win with the tech they have put into this card, even if that win is in terms of licensing it out.

That being said…

They need to get their act together on many of the small things still. The cooler shouldnt be an after thought. NVidia learned this the hard way, and now today has very good stock coolers. For a 650 dollar card, the cooler should be top notch. I understand third party makers will eventually put their own coolers on this thing that will not require it to be water cooled… and thus wont suffer from pump whine (or whatever you want to call it), but you should not rely on that. For this price bracket… something as simple as a mild coil wine could sway someone to the other side. In many cases, in this price bracket, even something as simple as that will sway someone to a different manufacturer that makes the same card but that does not suffer from an issue such as that. (I am aware this is likely not coil whine… was just using it as an example).

The other “small” thing they really need to get their act together on is the driver front. They have this epic card with this amazing hardware and tech inside of it, but it does no good if they cant harness that power properly. Perfect example was the cell processor in the PS3… HUGELY powerful… if you can properly harness it. But fully utilizing it was a difficult and tricky task. Right now i would say that NVidia is definiely winning in this front as well.

All in all i love the card, love the tech, and love what they have worked so hard for so long to invent. I believe it has serious potential, and i can easily see this card competing with the 980Ti… If AMD can get their drivers together to more fully utilize what this thing is capable of.

Like many, I REALLY want AMD to win… the market needs strong competition. Right now though it seems like they are getting the big things right, but then screwing up on the “little” things that tie it all together that could make it a really great product.

But just my two cents on the matter.

• Nevermind

Sure, and true, and all of that is valid…

But the “early adopters tend to get screwed” rule is always in effect. Company/product regardless.

Waiting 3-6 months drops the price usually by 1/4 anyway, and the early flaws get sorted.

• Damage

Had enough. l33t-g4m3r has been banned for being a corporate shill and a negative influence in so many ways.

• chuckula

We’re putting on a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c<]special concert in honor of this event.[/url<]

• morphine

Dang, ahead of me.

• DoomGuy64

LOL.

• Price0331

Not surprised, was wondering when that was going to happen.

• Nevermind

Wow, you can get banned for being a corporate shill?

Sweet!

• LoneWolf15

If you do it enough and your attitude is the sand in everyone’s shorts…

• K-L-Waster

You gave him more second chances than I would have.

• bjm

Damage, you are only proving that you are part of the illuminati. l33t is on to you. He was never saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.

Lizard people.

• torquer

Reverse vampires.

• Ninjitsu

Is that a sex thing? I hope not. :p

• JumpingJack

Definitely a wise move.

• f0d

FINALLY
      good work

• madgun

He did have an agenda of attacking anyone who reported the truth against AMD.

Glad order 66 applied on him!

• ronch

Wait, he hasn’t attacked me yet… can you guys extend his membership for just a few days more? I’ve got a few more AMD-bashing posts in the pipeline!

• Concupiscence

I tried to see eye to eye with him more than once, but he really could be a jerk.

• ronch

I wonder who’s next….

• bhappy

So glad that at least some of AMD’s whining issues were fixed ! Good work!

• anotherengineer

Sigh, there goes our last fringe lunatic encompassing a full, and true society!! πŸ˜‰

You’re not a republican are you Damage? πŸ˜‰

I think we have to nominate someone or find another replacement. It makes distinguishing from reality so much easier with those absurd posts and………….k I give up don’t know where I’m going with this lol

edit – wait a sec, TopHat below looks like a candidate πŸ˜€

• TopHatKiller

Dear TransportTycoon, I thank you greatly for nominating me for a candidacy to…. something.
        I hope that I am voted in; and if so, I promise to represent, equally and fairly, all losers, weirdos, nutjobs and assorted poor riff-raff…. Even those – through poor upbringing and worse education – that don’t believe Nv and Intel are god’s chosen and can do no wrong….
        I have already won this medal: post: cabinet-secure:
        in my mind,
        and are painting -up an office at TR for
        me, myself, alone.
        Then, holy hell will follow to those
        that chose to downvote me….

• James296

I think this is adequate to explain all my feelings about this

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUy_dlKC0I[/url<]

• TopHatKiller

Mr.James, Thanks! I love Fraiser. I haven’t seen any episodes for ages – so that made me laugh. But, dear Sir!: ‘We are psychiatrist not pugilists!’ and, thank you, of course:
            “Oh……My..God.” Thanks, Mr James.

• ermo

Re. your “lunatic fringe” comment: Are you a WMD member?

• TopHatKiller

Dear Imperceptible-Impact-On-The-Real-World, Like so many things here: I don’t get it. Why has [string-code] been banned. Or not. Why are his/her posts active, still? I assume there is a joke here: perhaps more than one: What is the joke?
      [Please note: I do not wish to intrude, unnecessarily, on the loving-clique at TR – I’m just confused and worry, a bit, that I might be banned for a faux-pas I cannot understand…… …………….. being banned for something I [u<]do[/u<] understand is different, obviously. Yours, Nobody.

• f0d

i think its mostly because he has slyly inferred in the past and probably in this thread somewhere that TR is biased is some way (choice of games/pretending amd issues are not issues etc etc) and his constant and relentless attack on everything nvidia

being a bit of a fan of one brand is usually the norm but he does go overboard with his fanboyism and attacks anyone that points out nvidia might actually be better at something than amd

i think its a bit of a case of “enough is enough”

• TopHatKiller

Thanks, F0d… But. If anyone wants to support any particular brand – well that’s up to them.
          If anyone thinks that TR are unfair, inaccurate or biased – then they have a right to say so.
          TR has the ability to refute their arguments. And anyone reading such posts can decide for themselves the veracity or accuracy of argument. I fail to see why anyone would be banned in the discourse.

People here might be banned for horrid, actionable statements. Perhaps violent, racist, sexist statements. Other than that?…. Surely, doesn’t everyone have to put up with posts they don’t like? God knows, I have to.

• Wonders

Wrong — Because it’s infinitely, immeasurably easier to reiterate baseless accusations than it is to tirelessly build up a reputation over the course of years. See, an online comment system can of course be a medium for discussion, however if utilized as a self-publishing platform to essentially hijack the staff’s hard-earned traffic and very publicly grind a particular axe, then that is an abuse.

Think of it as selling donuts in the parking lot of a Medifast clinic. Folks stumble upon TR, whether they realize it or not, owing to a thirst for information and a very real drive toward a sense of clarity. So using TR’s comment system in an apparent campaign to place misinformation in front of all these hungry, searching eyeballs == no bueno.

• TopHatKiller

I understand your point Wonderboy!, but I respectfully disagree with it. The ‘medifast’ thing passes me by thou, I assume that’s some ghastly American hmo or something? Thank god for the NHS. Also I would humbly suggest not buying donuts from some unpleasant looking chap in the back of a parking lot, irrespective of how hungry your eyeballs are. Cheers!

• Ninjitsu

No – nobody decent needs to tolerate something or someone viscous, offensive or just disturbing unnecessarily.

TR is a private site, they can do as they please, to be honest. They could ban me right now for this very post and I can complain but I really don’t have another choice but to accept it.

Good people rarely have the power they should in this world, god knows we rush to shout them down for using it when they must.

• GrimDanfango

As the great XKCD so succinctly pointed out once – [url<]http://xkcd.com/1357/[/url<] Of course, he has a right to say whatever he wants... but everyone else has just as much right to think he's an assh{at}, and tell him to {go away}. He has a legal right to say whatever he wants, but he doesn't have a legal right to dodge the consequences, and Scott isn't bound by any requirement to host him while he says it. Edit: always liked the alt-text to that particular xkcd too: "{...} someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express."

• TopHatKiller

Dear DeathlyHallow, Your point is well met. But it appears to me the argument has sifted from “free speech – and not prohibiting such” to “[TR’s] commercial property rights have been violated”. Those issues are terribly separate.
            Blooming hell, ‘debating free speech’: sometimes you can really tell this site ain’t english.

• GrimDanfango

Not sure I follow what you’re getting at, but you were the one to bring up [quote<]If anyone thinks that TR are unfair, inaccurate or biased - then they have a [b<]right[/b<] to say so.[/quote<] To which I was simply pointing out that yes, they do have a right to say it, and everyone else, TR included, have a right to tell them to sod off if they repeatedly keep making what others consider to be baseless accusations. The point being, accusing someone of dishonest practices carries consequences. Fair cop if it's founded and unambiguously supported, but throwing it out there just to try and make someone look bad can and should come back to bite you in the ass.

• TopHatKiller

Sir, you can certainly tell them to sod-off. That’s different from banning.
            Me don’t like banning.
            {Except: anyone who p’s me off. Which is… oh dear… all of you. I’d be left talking to myself.
            Still, for me that’s not to odd.}

• Meadows

THK, you’re on the site of a private business. Just as you have a right to claim ridiculous things about them, they have the right to ban you for it.

Not “you” in particular, per se. The person in question has been hostile and unyielding for a long time. He kept on going whether his arguments were refuted or not.

If I went into say, McDonald’s, and told them :
            “Erghgh..Listen, you, ****** burgers are****” [Vomiting on their floor,]
            “And afnufuer ting, your shakes are **** with ***** in them, you ****”
            And they banned me: fair enough.
            But this site, {Bless’yer TR} maybe privately owned, but it’s engaging in public discourse. And we are not buying services from it. So unless someone is actively engaging in activities that jeopardize the commercial viability of this site – I don’t think they should be banned… I really can’t see how [whatisface’s] actions threaten the economic viability of TR.

**Please note: Only once! Did I actually do that in McDonald’s. Only Once!

• Meadows

You are buying services from the site. You agree to view advertisements in exchange for TR’s content.

Actually, leet gamer might have affected the site’s commercial performance too, in some miniscule way. His repeated accusations may have scared off potential viewers, even though they were baseless.

• Meadows

Funny thing is, he had the bigger bias.

For example, AMD have allegedly “fixed” the problem with Fury’s liquid cooler, so leet gamer proceeded to adamantly claim that anyone still talking about the issue is both patently wrong and anti-AMD.

On the flip side, he would never forgive NVidia for similarly — or less — important issues regardless of their getting fixed (no quote marks here).

• geekl33tgamer

Not all geek l33t’s are created equal, and I’m glad he’s gone too as some people thought we were the same person. πŸ™

• Meadows

I would’ve completely missed this, were it not for the front-page exposure. Can’t say I’ll miss him.

• tfp

I hear it’s a good gig if you can get it.

• ChangWang

If he’s on here, make sure you get chizow next!

• Rand

I never felt he was a corporate shill just a diehard fan boy who felt his very identity was in question when confronted with anything that didn’t align with an AMD is a wise, benevolent god and charitable god in whose glory we worship whilst nVidia plays the role of Satan.
      Fanboyism has religious fervor, lacks the churches and is probably frustrated that they’ve yet to convince people to go to war.

• tootercomputer

That noise would drive me bonkers.

I’ll be anxious to see how this all plays out, if AMD can turn this around. A lot of money to spend on such a noisy card.

• Nevermind

Louder than a hot 980’s fans though? I’d tend to doubt that with a big stick.

• w76

Not all noises are the same.

• Dysthymia

Eh. My 970 has some definite coil whine, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. Tinnitus might be a factor, but still.

• cobalt

Which 980? There are many versions, not just a single reference version, and they virtually all have different fans. Also, Scott described a “frustrating character of the high-pitched whine” at play here; remember that the irritation at a sound depends not just on its volume but its character.

• snook

• chuckula

So basically AMD is effectively issuing a recall on the first run of the Fury X.
      Does this make the launch a paper launch or a cardboard (as in the cardboard used in the RMA box) launch?

• snook

I don’t know

I do! – No they’re not.

• snook

and there it is…the answer.

• madgun

Someone’s issued an order 66 on AMD and it ain’t pretty!

• Jigar

The Fix is here – reaction time of 8 days is not bad – [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/213993/amd-revises-pump-block-design-for-radeon-r9-fury-x.html[/url<]

• Leader952

So where is the recall on those who bought the whiny earlier retail ones?

Also why give kudos to AMD for fixing a problem that should have been identified and fixed before release.

• Jigar

Because it was the third party dealer that was providing them the cooling system ?? They did manage to take care of the issue so why should we still have problem ??

• HisDivineOrder

Didn’t AMD tell at least one enthusiast hardware site that the problem had ALREADY been taken care of in shipping units? πŸ˜‰

I think that’s the problem. They lied.

• travbrad

Shhh. It’s only bad when Nvidia lies about how fast their last 0.5GB of memory is. AMD is saintly and would never do such a thing.

• l33t-g4m3r

More like Shhh the .5GB memory issue doesn’t exist even though it’s permanent, and let’s all rip on AMD for a [u<]fixed[/u<] cooler [i<]noise[/i<] that doesn't exist anymore. That's what's really going on here. Completely contrived cooler controversy. Historically speaking, cards like the 970 (660) do not have long lifespans with the crippled memory. As soon as games start needing this extra memory, framerate will tank, and this issue is being mostly ignored over a FIXED water cooler. ROFLMAO.

• Waco

…except that having 3.5 GB of fast memory and 512 MB of “slow” memory is still FAR faster than 3.5 GB of fast memory and 0 MB of “slow” memory.

So yeah, stop trying to hype this into something it’s not.

EDIT: Downvotes for stating facts, fun. I guess we know why l33t got banned, eh?

• anubis44

Well, show us an example of AMD marketing a card with x amount of memory, and then being exposed as having two different memory speeds? Can’t can you? At least AMD admitted to the cooling problem and promptly did the right thing and actually fixed it. Has nVidia fixed the .5GB of slow memory problem on the GTX970? No, Jen Hsun simply apologized and said it wouldn’t happen again, but kept everybody’s money. See the difference?

• chuckula

How about marketing slide BS from AMD claiming that Furry is faster than a GTX-980Ti?

You know what Nvidia never “lied” about: Actual gaming performance of the GTx-970.
            You know what AMD actually lied about: Actual gaming performance of the Furry.
            Source: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/28501/here-a-first-look-at-the-radeon-r9-fury-x-performance[/url<] Oh, and that flat out lie about how Furry is some "great overclocker" from the AMD launch event wasn't exactly what I'd call "honest" either. Actual gaming performance: Something that real people care about. Minutia about ROPs from obvious shills who don't even know what a ROP does: Only AMD fanboys who wouldn't be caught dead buying the GTX-970 in the first place* care about. * That doesn't mean they [i<]don't[/i<] buy them... they just keep it on the DL.

• l33t-g4m3r

So it IS fixed now, and this appears more Coolermaster’s fault than AMD. But that doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that a problem existed on day 1, not day 8, and that’s what gets reported on, even though it’s no longer relevant, and AMD had issued a statement saying it was getting fixed.

Considering that the Fury was “sold out” nearly instantaneously, I really doubt very many people got bad cards, and retailers should honor any returns for those unlucky enough to get a noisy pump. My personal opinion on the supply issue is that AMD issued a recall, or halted shipments until they could get fixed coolers installed on the cards. If that’s the case, then problem solved, and all further cards should have the fixed cooler.

• MathMan

You’re absolutely right that it doesn’t matter who they subcontracted the cooler to: it has their name, not Coolermaster. And that first impressions are absolutely crucial when released.

This is a massive AMD QA failure, not in scope but in damaging the already terrible FuryX launch even more.

• l33t-g4m3r

First impressions are crucial, but they’re also completely meaningless after said problems are fixed, especially when done immediately. AMD fixed the problem, therefore continuing to fault them for a fixed issue discredits the accuser.

It’s not like this is the Dustbuster series, where there was NO fix. This was fixed ASAP, which was likely the main reason why availability was nil. Considering all the facts, there isn’t any major damage, aside from having a delayed launch, since nobody could buy a bad card when it was out of stock.

So far, the only damage I see, is contrived controversy that was cooked up by review sites. The card as it stands today is fine, and that’s what’s really important to users. Frankly, I think we’re starting to see a consumer / reviewer disconnect, where it no longer matters what a reviewer says about a product, since consumers can easily fact check these claims on the internet in several ways, including looking at newegg/amazon reviews.

• JumpingJack

[quote<]First impressions are crucial, but they're also completely meaningless after said problems are fixed, especially when done immediately. AMD fixed the problem, therefore continuing to fault them for a fixed issue discredits the accuser.[/quote<] Hmmmm, meaningless? AMD seems to have a lot of these crucial impression problems, I wonder if that has anything to do the chronic loss in market share.

• l33t-g4m3r

Not really. None of their previous cards had these issues, and this one in particular is solely attributed to Coolermaster, which has been dealt with. The only real problem they’ve been dealing with lately are issues directly associated with gameworks, which isn’t their fault, although certain review sites like to make it out like it is.

Did the 290 have any of these “crucial impression problems”? No, it did not. Stop exaggerating. This issue is being totally blown out of proportion, and does not even exist at this point in time. The fixed FuryX is a viable product, and claiming otherwise is outright fallacious, disingenuous, and deceptive.

Now, if on the other hand you want to say something about the Fury only having 4GB, that might hold [i<]some[/i<] merit, but so does ALL of NV's cards under the 980ti, and there isn't any games out that need more than 4GB. For the most part, I don't see this being an issue anytime soon, especially when using more than 4GB would screw NV worse than it would AMD, since AMD's cheaper midrange cards have 8GB. We're probably not going to see games pushing past 4GB anytime soon, because it wouldn't benefit NV to push it, and they're the ones controlling game devs with their bribery program.

• swaaye

They most assuredly had the fix cooking for a lot longer than 8 days. They just wanted to sell that first run.

• Nevermind

8 days to redesign hardware would be pretty phenomenal. I’m with swaaye.

• Krogoth

Performance GPUs have never known for being quiet or “silence”.

The majority of the intended market for such cards don’t know or care unless it prevents them from doing the mad overclocking.

• Leader952

Except that there are those who swear that Water Cooling is always quiet:

[quote<]Alexko: The quietness of the water-cooling system can matter a lot to some people [url<]https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1856023[/url<] [/quote<]

• mtruchado

this is wrong, the only quite solution is the passive cooling.

• TopHatKiller

My Leader! Sorry, I shouldn’t laugh. IWC’s – quiet!? One should separate custom water/liquid cooling with the cheap excuse that are IWC’s.

• travbrad

I think the pitch of this noise is more of a problem than the fact that it’s “loud”. A high-pitched whine is a lot more annoying than lower-pitched fan noise, even if the fan is technically louder in terms of decibels.

Supposedly the latest batch of cards has actually resolved the issue though, so hopefully people buying this card don’t have to worry about it anymore. I’m still not sure why you’d buy it over a 980ti for the same price though. Even at 4K it has slightly worse frametimes/smoothness, and that gap widens at lower resolutions.

• tbone8ty

[url<]https://youtu.be/KOlVOzubdAI[/url<] Updated pump video. High pitch noise is fixed. Looks like they changed the pump

• tbone8ty

It’s basically the same pump as the older cooler master seidon 120v. Just wait until it produces the clacking pump noise lol

[url<]https://youtu.be/UgCv4zGBpvE[/url<] In other words Amd cheaped out and went with cooler master instead of asetek that is in the 295x2 which doesn't have this issue. I guess you could say they replaced high power consumption with high pitched noise. You can't have it all folks

• Nevermind

What’s the power difference I wonder.

• HisDivineOrder

When I read the original review of Fury X and he said he had whining problems and that AMD promised a fix, I knew in my bones that the response came too quickly. That they were promising to have fixed something there’s just no way they would have sent in review units if they had truly fixed it in production units.

Why does AMD always make the stupid mistakes? Always the easy mistakes? It’s like they need to hire a Manager that has veto power over even Su.

And this manager’s sole duty would be to keep them from making stupid mistakes.

Let’s call him the Vice President in charge of Stupid Mistake Prevention. If he says it’s a stupid mistake, it gets vetoed. Want to use 4xxx-class coolers with your R9 290X? Nope. Vetoed. Want to promise Battlefield 4 with every R9 290X and then backtrack? Vetoed. Twice. Want to promise a date when you’ll be able to purchase it and then not do anything on that date for the 290X? Vetoed. Want to release your 7970 without working Crossfire? Vetoed. Want to release your 7950/7970 with drivers so bad it’ll take six months for them to even get close to the eventual Geforce response (that isn’t even based on the highest end of the line)? Vetoed. Want to release special Rage drivers with OpenGL components so old they ruin your performance? Vetoed. Want to make Mantle INSTEAD of multithreading your DX11 drivers then complain when DX11 games don’t favor you? Vetoed.

This man would be working his butt off. He would not get any vacation days and everyone in the company would hate him.

But suddenly AMD might come back from the brink. Maybe.

• ronch

Perhaps this whining sound is a subtle shot to all those folks who keep whining about AMD, their marketing gimmicks, and their products?

(Including yours truly.)

• torquer

I’m sure it will be fixed in an upcoming release of Catalyst πŸ˜‰

• TopHatKiller

Dear Everyone and Dog… What’s the point in, uhm, pointing out obvious things when everyone ignores me.
    Here I go again: Cheap IWC’s are rubbish. Although idiots think that a ‘sold-as water-cooled-card is expensive and impressive’. Yeeeehhh-Hah!
    They are in fact not. Mass-produced iwc’s will almost always suffer from the following:
    pump noise, catavation noise, mechanical “whirllings”, fluid-transport ‘gurglings’, worse temps then excellent air-coolers, reduced reliability.
    AMD replaced their crap and cheap air cooler on the previous generation with a cheap iwc. Why? Well, you could say it’s “water-cooled”, nice and worthless marketing point, although crap, it’s not as bad as their previous cooler. And it cost AMD/partners very, very little.
    Why do you think that you’ve seen a massive number of cpu iwc’s on the market of late?
    Because companies are talking a massive hit on their profits to provide you with far superior cooling solutions? Or is it because these things are dirty-chap to make, and those companies are just making higher margins? You decide. Amongst yourselves.
    Go for a proper aftermarket custom water cooled loop. There: you find products that are excellently made and maybe, possibly, worth the cost.
    These integrated solutions are quite poor=bad=bloody awful. Hype is good though, isn’t it?
    Personally I’d go for [a] a card with a decent company cooler on-it [b]replacing the cooler with the likes of Prolimatech or Arctic [c] if you can do it, and afford it: custom liquid.
    [I can’t do [c] nor can I afford it]
    PS. Please send me Money! You bastards.

• bjm

Keep saying that if it makes you feel better about yourself, but nobody is saying integrated water cooling loops out perform custom setups. Despite your rant, integrated units are a good value for what they offer. When it comes to water cooling, the law of diminishing returns starts right around the ambient temperature.

If the integrated water cooling setups can reach that ambient point at a far lower cost and with far less hassle, then why bash it? Sure, it might not be as fun as a custom setup, but it sure is a great deal in the price/performance benchmark for heat dissipation. And that’s the point right?

• TopHatKiller

The point is this: [a] People are fooled in believing a complex cooler justifies higher price
        [b] decent air-cooled solutions outperform iwc’s. [c] iwc’s are more likely to fail over time.
        I am not, under any alternate gawping-heaven, advocating custom loops. They’re cost and complexity is a natural “no-way” to most people. Including me.
        This article was complaining about excessive noise from the ‘far-lower-cost’ iwc AMD had used: I was simply stating that huge problems are common with cheap-as-you-like IWC’s.
        So… they were my points.
        Also: I still don’t feel good about myself!? ? Y’know, frankly, I feel a bit lost….

• NoOne ButMe

“decent air-cooled solutions outperform iwc’s.”

So, what card on air is running sub 55C?

I would love to know.

• TopHatKiller

Prolimatech mk26 / Arctic cooling extreme series. Over the years a few companies have coughed up and fitted a modified version of Arctic’s.

• f0d

i
      cant
      believe
      i
      agree
      with
      THK

• TopHatKiller

Don’t encourage me: it only makes me worse. And stop calling me that!

• f0d

hey you were the one that called me mr food for thought πŸ˜›

• TopHatKiller

It’s so lovely that you remember! Who the hell am I?

• f0d

you are THK

• TopHatKiller

Never surrender! Never Give-in! I’m… I’m… Oh god help me…

• Metonymy

Do you mean cavitation?

Yes! I did. Thankyou

• VincentHanna

You aren’t wrong, in the sense that a person who says that replacing every bus system in the country with a levitated bullet train, would be beneficial in a dozen or so arbitrary and cherry-picked ways would also not be ‘wrong.’

• TopHatKiller

Dear Sir, I never use buses. Are you accusing me of being poor? How outrageous!!!

I leviate myself, using the power of my mind, above the wonton care of fanboydem, to the ethereal place of the spirit: where in that place of harmony with the universe, I create my pure beautiful wisdom.

• w76

[quote<]Mass-produced iwc's will almost always suffer from the following: pump noise, catavation noise, mechanical "whirllings", fluid-transport 'gurglings', worse temps then excellent air-coolers, reduced reliability.[/quote<] Not always. Source: I've had systems with 'iwc' and after-market closed-loop coolers and had none of the problems AMD has, not after years of use much less on DAY ONE of operation, nor have people I know who have similar setups. Pumps make noise, yes, but not like this card. Now, if you buy a lousy brand, well, caveat emptor. Buy what has passed through some reviewers hands and that shouldn't be a problem. You paint it as a universal truth but it's a brand-by-brand, SKU-by-SKU issue, just like... everything else technological.

• chuckula

I’m 25 months in with my NZXT Kraken loop on my OC’d 4770K and it still runs fine without any crazy noise. If I really crank the CPU to 100% in torture-test conditions (e.g. synthetic AVX2 workloads, not just playing video games) I can hear the pump working just a bit, but it’s a lower-frequency noise and not particularly disturbing.

• TopHatKiller

Mr. Humourless-one, I would suggest you might be lucky. But who really knows? Long term, independent tests of multiple units would help. But what website would engage in such long-term and fruitless labour?
          Uhm. That might be a hint to the gods-of-everywhere – before I get ‘banned for being a negative influence.’ Or something.

• chuckula

THK, unlike you I actually understand what “humor” (spelled properly since we won) is.

• TopHatKiller

Mr. Chuckles, I’d be a little upset if you didn’t think my posts were funny. I know HUMOUR is really subjective, but I was trying to be funny.
            For your second point – if that referred to the American War of Independence, I think we [i<]all[/i<] won that.

• K-L-Waster

Hm, going to call this a split decision: going with Chuck for logic and THK for spelling. (You Yanks always dropping letters – lazy, I tells ya…)

• TopHatKiller

Dear..Uhm…[Nope, nothing funny]… But this is:- “Chuck” is logical?? Is that a first?
            And, please, if you can’t be bothered to type “TopHatKiller” – what about “Oi! You!” or for some, “Ai! Ass!”. Just a stray thought.

• Ninjitsu

How about:

Mr. Top!

Mr. Hat!

Mr…Killer?

No? Hmmm…

• TopHatKiller

Look mate, you might think it’s fine having a nice little comment-back with me. But I’m warning you: Unless you say something derogatory, insulting or negative to me, you might well be facing a tidal wave of downvoting for your own kung-fu ass.
            As for your comment: Anything other then [spit] ‘THK’ [double-spit.] would be fine.
            Thankyou, anyway!

• YellaChicken

Fitting with his theme, perhaps Mr-Murderer-of-Cranial-Attire?

Destroyer-of-Formal-Head-Coverings?

• TopHatKiller

Mr.Lost-West-Highways, I’m glad you’ve had no issues, but there are a huge bunch who have.
        As I posted to MrChuc..etc, we need a long term test of these type of things.
        However, you are horribly wrong in one matter:
        “You paint it as a universal truth but it’s a brand-by-brand, SKU-by-SKU issue, just like… ”
        In reality there are two companies making these things; cool-it and ?can’t recall. [Others I’m sure will be happy to fill in my memory blank] – they patented iwc’s up the kazoo, and license/sell/rebadge to anyone who wants to sell them. If I remember correctly Swiftech tried to go their own way and got hit by ‘patent-abuse’ legal claims. Such is ‘free-trade’.
        I do thankyou , though, for using the acronym ‘iwc’: invalid-water-closet. Tar!!!

• snook

asetek is the other, they are the reason I bought a swiftech H220 from canada. strangely, it died a month after I got it. lol

• TopHatKiller

Tar tar; those are the fellows.
            And… case proved, case rested… or is it my arse I’m resting?

• Ninjitsu

The latter! Or…is it…the Former?

• Mr Bill

The review Fury X unit hum was not so bad, the retail Fury X’s were a bit louder and maybe annoying. But gotta say the 980Ti was darned loud. Did they really mic them all at the same distance? The water cooling is definitely quieter close up under load. But maybe the 980Ti is less of a bother with the case closed and the mic is not in the wind so to speak.

• Mr Bill

Tom’s Hardware found the same 2KHz noise peak with 33dBA and notes that it comes right through the case.
      Here is a 2KHz tone link… (turn your audio down)
      [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dimdySz8F0c[/url<]

• Welch

Look AMD… you guys are in a unique position that very few if any other company is in… Your target audience desperately wants to see you succeed, not suckceed which is what you are doing.

A simple check would be to have you as CEOs, CFOs, CTOs or whatever use your own products in your office for a minimum of a month with your competitors products right next to it. If at the end of the month your strongly preffer to use your own products still and they haven’t made you want to rip your ears or eyes out… then you may have a winning product.

How do you let something like this slip past your design team. You acknowledged that your team was aware of the issue and yet you did not bother to say “Wait a second… that sound makes my brain do weird things, I think I want to murder an entire village of cute puppies because of it.” Ohh wait, lets not release it yet.

You can’t keep putting out products that should destroy your competition and keep loosing people over stupid things like over heats, terrible noises or flat out bad performance due to drivers. Get it the hell together.

Lisa Su, I think you have what it takes to turn AMD around. So, if you’d like some help I would accept $140,000 a year and benefits to stay on top of the little details like this that keep getting overlooked or brushed under the rug.

• wiak

they did say the first production batch…
    anyhow you can RMA it to get one thats has less whine or no whine
    or do like me wait a few weeks to get one (for both price stability and availability)

young people 30< will notice it well.
    we can hear stuff that older people cant

scott must have ears like superman! or is younger than he looks

there was a dude on reddit that had a fury x with no noise issue.
    and most of the issues seem to be related to sapphire batch of cards, but i can be wrong there*

• Choz

[quote<]young people 30< will notice it well. we can hear stuff that older people cant[/quote<] And yet they still don't listen.

• DragonDaddyBear

What?

• TopHatKiller

Now that, Mr.Loser, is a good efficient pointed joke. Bloody well done. [Laughing.]

• Deanjo

[quote<]young people 30< will notice it well. we can hear stuff that older people can't[/quote<] Actually I remember reading an article from a medicine journal showing that large percentage of younger people actually have poorer hearing now days do to them damaging their hearing with headphones. [url<]http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/general-health/Pages/headphone-safety.aspx[/url<]

• MathMan

I remember these kind of arguments about the ‘youth of today’ and their worse hearing 25 years ago, when we had headphones just the same. πŸ˜‰

• Deanjo

And they were right as well. There has been a decline in hearing for a while however with the popularity of MP3 players/phones since the the turn of the millennium the numbers have skyrocketed. Earlier devices could also cause hearing loss but unless you wanted to change out expensive batteries every 3 hours, their time of exposure to those noise levels were far less than what they are now.

GET OFF MUH LAWN!

• ronch

[quote<]we can hear stuff that older people cant[/quote<] Don't get cocky, kid. You'll grow old someday too.

• travbrad

According to PCPER the whine is around 1900hz. Most people can still hear that frequency, even those with hearing loss. Try it out for yourself: [url<]http://onlinetonegenerator.com/[/url<] I'm 30 years old and have been to about 50 loud concerts (plus I'm a musician myself) yet I can still hear up to 14khz or so. I don't think grannies in nursing homes are the main purchasers of high-end GPUs anyway, but I could be wrong. [quote<][i<]"Noise-induced - prolonged exposure to loud noises (>90 dB) causes hearing loss which begins at 4000 Hz (high frequency). The normal hearing range is from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz." "Presbycusis - is deafness due to loss of perception to high tones, in the elderly. Presbycusis is hearing loss that occurs in the high frequency range (4000 Hz to 8000 Hz).(See impact of environmental noise exposure below.)" [/i<][/quote<] [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensorineural_hearing_loss[/url<]

• chuckula

Yup, Ima old fogey and it’s easily audible even with very low speaker volume settings.

• Arclight

While we’re still wondering how much worse the Fury X can be, something remarkable happened that is still not covered by this site, the 390 and 390x were launched and are very competitive.

[url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/30.html[/url<] They seem like better deals than the GTX 970 and GTX 980 respectively considering the price/performance and the fact that they sport more memory. The downside is higher power consumption, but performance is there to the point that the 970 should no longer be recommended over the 390. Back to the Fury X, any benches on compute performance?

• Ninjitsu

They covered the 390X – [url<]https://techreport.com/review/25509/amd-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-reviewed[/url<]

• Arclight

The 390 and 390x are faster than the original ones, if you bothered to look it up you’d know.

• l33t-g4m3r

Exactly, we really don’t need TR to review the 390. Plus, they’d just be picking the same games that they picked for the Fury, and the performance difference would be exactly the same, only worse. NV wins in NV games. The 290 had a much better selection, and we should leave it at that, since it’s the same architecture. I’d rather leave the 390 reviews up to other sites, since they’ll be properly testing what was improved from the 290, and not how the 390 performs in broken NV titles.

• K-L-Waster

Still trying to suggest TR has an agenda, huh?

• Freon

Your own link shows a slightly higher performance per dollar from the 970 (102-113% of the 390 in 1080p through 4k), and the performance per watt, no surprise, isn’t even close. On an absolute scale, the 1440p and 1080p performance is within margin of error. 390 wins at 4k, but who cares, neither card is fast enough for 4K full stop.

Keep in mind they’re only using average FPS, too. Add in 99th percentile and I think it would only be worse.

• Arclight

Both cost about the same and above 1080p the 390 is slightly better. Given how games already are starting to use more than 4GBs even at lower resolution I know which one I’d pick. Now if nvidia launched an 8 GB 970 that costs about the same maybe I’d consider the power savings, otherwise the choise would be easy. As for the 390x it is cheaper than the 980 while being marginally slower at lower res. Here it’s harder to decide, I’d probably wait for the slower Fury SKUs before deciding but as is it’s still a 980 class card on the cheap with double the memory.

• Kretschmer

The 290X is a much better value than either.

• f0d

how the heck are you going to use over 4gb of memory without the card dropping to unusable (under 60fps/over 16.7ms) speeds?
      theres no way you will need 8gb on a 290X – its like how they used to put on 4gb of memory on gts 450’s

also the only difference between the 290 and 390 series is a bios and memory/clock tweak – people have been flashing their 290’s to 390 since they were released

• Arclight

[url<]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806912/gtx-970-dying-light/?offset=41[/url<] [url<]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-eyes-on-with-pc-shadow-of-mordors-6gb-textures[/url<] The 390 is a lot more future proof than the 970 even at 1080p. Nobody should buy a card in that price range at 4GBs, it's just a bad investment.

• f0d

not seeing any performance metrics there
          what was the frametimes like?
          was a 390X able to keep above 60fps?

as i said anything (at least as far as i know) that uses more than 4gb of vram will be too slow for any enjoyable gameplay (60fps min)

• Voldenuit

[quote<] performance is there to the point that the 970 should no longer be recommended over the 390..[/quote<] This thread is useless without [s<]pics[/s<] frame time variances.

• swaaye

Guess they should have stayed with Asetek.

• Eversor

From the video, it seems this is most likely noise from the coils, which happens on high power GPUs/CPUs with certain types of coils and designs of the PWM circuit. It is most likely you are noticing this just now because it doesn’t produce much fan noise. I would unplug the pump for a couple of seconds, while idling, to know for sure. I’ll bet you a dollar you notice this from almost all GPUs if you unplug the fan while loading them.

99% of high current electronics do this either loaded or idle, depending on the PWM’s design. My ASUS LCD does this when it has lots of white text on black background, as it uses much more current. Some do it merely by setting anything lower than 100% brightness, by pushing just the backlight modulation circuit. My GPU does this loaded, as does my HP Chromebook 11, though the Chromebook being low power/low current device it is a lower frequency and thus much less noticeable. Some people don’t even hear most of these frequencies and lose the ability to do so with age.

• TwoEars

Why is it always like this with AMD? Don’t they have separate engineering departments that can develop a good cooling solution in parallel to the GPU?

You know – exchange a few cad-sketches, approximate wattage numbers and so on. How hard can it be?

As far as I know they didn’t even make it themselves, I think the cooling solution is made by cooler master. So what happend? No QC/QA from Cooler Master’s side? No QC/QA from AMD’s side? The Chinese gave them all their second rate pumps?

• ImSpartacus

It’s true. I want amd to succeed, but Nvidia is the one that’s executing properly at the moment.

• HisDivineOrder

I’d settle for AMD not making stupid mistakes. If they just got beat because the competition was better, that’d be one thing. They’re beating themselves at this point.

• nanoflower

I read one comment that said this sound is exactly the same as a discontinued pump from Cooler Master and their new designs don’t have the whine. Which makes you wonder…

• fhohj

hah! that’s a hit for coolermaster too, then. they have a spotless (or almost anyway) reputation when it comes to what they do; this card was lifted up just for them being a part of it. but now they take a hit because they’ve fielded crap. if this was really what went on then it’s not on AMD it’s on cooler master and their crappy design. so now it’s a matter of whether it was worth it to them to dump those bad pumps in AMD cards instead of a landfill, or if the fallout it causes to their brand and rep outweighs the gain.

legit AMD should just cut a deal with noctua for their highest-end thing.

• Bonusbartus

Well I was wondering…
        Cooler master seems to have a quite ok record and they also provide a lot of stock aircoolers for AMD.
        How is it possible that either these two companies (seemingly) work so bad together that they install an unsuitable solution, or that coolermaster ships crappy watercoolers to AMD and AMD is ok with that?

• Kretschmer

It’s much simpler than this. They farmed out the cooler; all that was needed was for any member of their staff – engineers, marketing, QA, night janitor – to notice and escalate the whine.

• ronch

I hate to admit it, but I think AMD doesn’t take their marketing and product development as seriously and as systematically as other big companies like Intel, NestlΓ©, Procter & Gamble, etc. do. AMD tends to be sloppy or talks first before thinking. In comparison, everything Intel does and says seem very carefully planned and calculated by no less than some of the best minds on earth.

[quote<]Sigh.... it's just so typical. I hate to say it but Nvidia would have gotten it right the first time.[/quote<] Try saying that to owners of Nvidia's horrible, cheap, noisy, inefficient GTX 660, 760, and 960 coolers. That's three generations of total failure RIGHT THERE. What's worse is that because these 660/760/960 are midrange parts they outsell the halo products like FuryX a thousand to one. Think of it this way; for every whiny pump block in a Fury X, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of disappointed GTX buyers with [url=https://techreport.com/r.x/geforce-gtx-760/gtx-760-back.jpg<]these horrible coolers[/url<] that are the holy trinity of: 1) Loud. 2) The noise quality is awful. 3) The cooling performance is bad.

• anubis44

“Sigh…. it’s just so typical. I hate to say it but Nvidia would have gotten it right the first time.”

LOL, you mean like how they got the laptop GPUs in the bumpgate scandal ‘right’ the first time? Or they got the GTX970’s 3.5GB of fast ram and .5GB of slow ram ‘right’ the first time? And they STILL haven’t offered to fix that last problem at all, and you’re faulting AMD for fixing an issue with a few first release cards within a week’s time?

You want to see nVidia getting it ‘right’ the first time? Check out this video which shows how they got the GeForce FX5800 ‘right’ the first time:

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qspdnAYiiug[/url<] And nVidia NEVER fixed that card's cooling issues. No replacement cards with quieter cooling. They just STUCK people with it and kept their money. That's the kind of company you're supporting. Shame on you, you transparent nVidiot.

• chuckula

Obvious Shill is Obvious.

Say, could you and Silus have some sort of showdown that results in both of you being unable to make any further posts for… well… ever?

• arobert

In reality the cards are whining because they could’t beat the 980ti…

(sorry, I don’t have anything against AMD)

• windwalker

This is unacceptable.
    Defects are more common for products implementing new designs and technologies but the manufacturer must take responsibility for them or risk loss of trust.

The management of the company must look into the design, engineering, testing, validation, procurement and corporate communications and how they work together because it takes more than one department to make a company look like lying buffoons.

• jessterman21

Hey, at least it runs at full-clocks…

• windwalker

And all 4 GB are running at the same speed. πŸ˜‰

• VincentHanna

Not that you’d know it from the benchmarks…

• SoM

and Microsoft might buy AMD

I MIGHT BUY A BURRITO

• nanoflower

There’s a better chance of you buying a burrito than Microsoft buying AMD. Hell, there’s a better chance than anyone buying AMD. Who wants to take on that and then need to spend even more money to build up the engineering talent pool again as it’s clear that AMD is hurting in that area given the on going issues with their drivers (frame time stutters and Crossfire issues.)

• anotherengineer

DON’T FORGET THE JALAPENO’S!!

• Anovoca

There is no “might” about it. You “will” get a burrito. Just like you “will also” get one too many margaritas and nervously drive yourself home hoping no one gets suspicious at 2 in the afternoon.

• ImSpartacus

I’m liking those rumors. Ms has buckets of cash.

• K-L-Waster

Ok, but when speculating about corporate match making, you have to ask what each side gets.

On the AMD side, it’s easy: they get a new owner with deep pockets, and the executives get bonuses, and the shareholders get a nice premium on their shares, and the bond holders get to stop developing ulcers over whether or not they’ll get paid when the bonds mature.

But what does MS get out of it?
        – They won’t get the x86 license, because even if Intel was willing to allow it to transfer to MS (which would be risky on Intel’s part….), MS is the one company that is guaranteed to get DOJ scrutiny if they buy that license.
        – They’d get the XBox intellectual property… oh, wait, my bad, they already own that.
        – They’d get manufacturing agreements with Global Foundries. Not sure why they’d want them….
        – They’d get what’s left of AMD’s graphics expertise. Not sure what they’d do with it.
        – They’d get whatever AMD has in the way of ARM expertise.
        – And they’d get a few billion in outstanding debt.

Not really seeing the attraction….

• l33t-g4m3r

MS doesn’t operate under normal logic though. Look @ win8 or Nokia. If they thought there was any way this would help develop cloud synergy, I’m sure they’d do it. Their heads are stuck in the clouds.

• cynan

Are you certain the x86 license wouldn’t be transferable to MS under any circumstances? What would be better for fair market competition overall as far as the DOJ is concerned? MS with an x86 licence restricted by a set of specific antitrust stipulations? Or absolutely no x86 competitor for Intel to speak of?

They have the [b<]current[/b<] (and prior) Xbox graphics/CPU IP. But what about future versions? Why not use AMD fusion processor tech (and Global Foundries) to make some cheap, half-decent processors for the Surface? Sure, it wouldn't be worth the investment just for that by any stretch, but perhaps MS is planning/hoping to expand its line of computing devices. And if AMD goes into bankruptcy first, MS wouldn't necessarily have to buy all, or maybe even much, of their debt.

• TwoEars

Won’t happen, MS wants to stay neutral and be on all platforms.

But Qualcomm is also on the table, that’s a really good fit.

• K-L-Waster

Why? They already bought the moble GPU tech ATI had back when the AMD takeover of ATI happened. They have what they need already.

I can see why AMD would benefit, but what would Qualcomm get out of it?

• TwoEars

AMD still has access to the server market and lots of high-profile customers, the server market is big business and lots of potenial doors could open for Qualcomm.

And AMD still has some of the best graphics engineers around, put them to work on the next generation of mobile devices and streaming tech and it could get pretty interesting.

Long term strategy towards servers, mobile, the mobile office, wireless, streaming…. one company that does it all. I think it could be pretty good.

• rephlex

I think Samsung would be a better fit.

• NoOne ButMe

The USA regularly redoes plans for a UK invasion. The UK will invade the UK!

AMD’s been about to be bought out a lot of times. I doubt this is any different.

Although, now that the x86 license breaks both ways, whomever buys AMD is going to have a bit of leverage over Intel. Of course, besides maybe Apple, not sure who would want to or be willing to get into a slugging match with Intel.

And, Apple already has superior CPU designs. And probably wouldn’t want to do semi-custom, which is where pretty much all of AMD’s value is at this point.

• Dr_Gigolo

That it was already fixed, sounded too good to be true. Why couldn’t they just man up and recall the cards?

It’s like they want this card to fail, badly. PR is blowing all bad press away and claiming 4GB is enough, the sound from the pump is fixed. Does anybody else at AMD know what this kind of press does to the image of a company? What about trust?

• Duct Tape Dude

A leaked fix changes the resonant whine frequency by using pump frequency modulation and it sounds much better:
    [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3aP4iI63AY[/url<] Noise levels jump by 100dB, but the problem has been resolved. The end user will not notice the original whine.

• flip-mode

These are not the droids you are looking for.

• willmore

It’s starting to seem that this issue is apropriately named.

• Neutronbeam

I always hope AMD will quit its whining, but somehow, some way, it never does.

• Milo Burke

Gah. I just really want AMD to have an unqualified win.

I was hoping Fury would be it…

We’ll always have Zen!

• tviceman

Ven it kums out, zen vee shall see who wins.

• NeelyCam

Sounds like a script from a german adult movie

• ronch

PowerPoint slides are half the battle, so AMD has half won already!

Yey for the underdog!

• Anovoca

A fix for the water pump issue will be in place by the end of the month

[i<] See: R9 Fury (air-cooled) [/i<]

• K-L-Waster

And failing that, soon after there should be custom coolers from the card manufacturers. Can always wait for those… just like with the 290 and 290X… hmmm, pattern?

• TwoEars

Yes – the R9 Fury card is the really interesting one.

It will be nearly as fast, or as fast, as a 980 Ti and it should cost $100 less. And without stupid water cooling.

• Ninjitsu

[quote<] It will be nearly as fast, or as fast, as a 980 Ti [/quote<] Ahahahaha. I don't think so!

• TwoEars

Give the drivers some more time, see what happens.

• swaaye

Just don’t buy one until those mythical drivers are a reality.

• Chastized

Just curious, I know allot of review sites test on an open bench environment, I haven’t been able to find out by looking at videos but does anyone have experience with it inside an enclosed computer case? Also, is this specific to the Fury X or do other water cooled cards make the same noise?

• CNCaddict

unfortunately you can hear it through the case. My computer is sitting on a carpeted floor and I can still hear it. It is fairly quiet, and if there is any background noise I don’t’ think it will be a problem..but if you are in a very quiet room, the “character” of the noise is quite annoying.

• Tirk

Hmm if I put my ear right up to the case next to where the pump is I can hear it, but it is very faint. Like CNCaddict alluded to, any white noise coming from anything else tends to drown it out. I didn’t even notice it had a noise above anything else running in the case until I put my ear right up next to it. It does have a different noise than what a fan would sound like, so once you hear it, it can be picked out due to it having a different pitch than a fan would make. The noise I hear sounds very similar to that of a coil so I can definitely see some confusion as to exactly where it is coming from. Although if the fan on the radiator made more noise, I wonder if I’d be able to make out the noise from the pump or coil. I guess a pro and con to making the rest of the system quieter.

It is unfortunate that not all the retail Fury X’s are as quiet. Is this a Quality Control issue from AMD or Coolmaster supplying the pump as not all sound like the ones in the clips above? I guess in some sense it could be both of their faults. I do start to wonder what Coolmaster’s response to this noise issue would be as they supply the pumps. Mine is definitely no where near as loud as any of the recordings linked above.

• chuckula

[quote<]But it does appear AMD's statement about the Fury X noise problem being fixed and "not an issue" was more wishful thinking than an accurate assessment of the current situation.[/quote<] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAbFqkvzQA<] I think Han Solo should handle corporate communication for AMD.[/url<]