Two new Asus ZenPad tablets turn up at Best Buy

Two new Asus ZenPad tablets are up for sale at Best Buy: the ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C-B1, and the more affordable ZenPad C 7.0 Z170C-A1. These tablets slot in below the higher-end ZenPad S Z580CA that Geoff examined recently.

Let's start with the Z580C-B1. The star of the show is an 8," 2048×1536 4:3 screen, good for 320 PPI. Intel's Moorefield Atom Z3530 CPU powers this tablet. It's got four cores that can run at up to 1.33GHz, alongside PowerVR G6430 integrated graphics.

The Z580C-B1 comes with 2GB of RAM, 32GB of flash storage, and a microSDXC card slot that can accept cards up to 128GB. The 15.2-Wh battery is claimed to be good for 8 hours of use. 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, and 5MP rear and 2MP front cameras round out the basic specifications. Asus ships the Z580C-B1 with Android 5.0 (decked out with its ZenUI skin).

This ZenPad measures in at 6.9 mm thick and 317 g, which makes it slightly lighter and thinner than Apple's iPad mini 3. At $200, this tablet seems like a potential spiritual successor to the Nexus 7.

Next up, we have the 7-inch Z170C-A1. This $99 slate has a 16:9, 1024×600 screen, and it's powered by a quad-core Intel Atom x3-C3200 "SoFIA" SoC.

The Z170C-A1 features 1GB of RAM and 16GB of flash storage, which can be expanded with microSDHC cards as big as 64GB. The cameras on this model are basic—a 2MP rear snapper and a 0.3MP selfie shooter. The rest of the specs are similar to its bigger cousin. The Z180C-A1 weighs 265 g, and its body is 8.4 mm thick.

• ronch

Considering the number of downvotes you have, I think I’m not being touchy; maybe what you posted simply would’ve been considered rude by most folks.

• Laykun

Whoa, touchy. I know tone doesn’t come across well with words on the internet, it was meant as a joke :S

If you look it up you’ll see I cherry picked a definition for the acronym.

SKU is a standard acronym that has been used to specify the exact variant for a long long time. It’s used simply because the product name isn’t enough to determine the variant alone, especially when there are literally hundreds of permutations of options – eg regional, capacity and wifi/LTE options alone allow for a hundred or so permutations alone.

You’ll have to deal with your pedanticity because it has always been this way and it will likely continue like this forever.

• bender

I really wish I could buy an Android device that wasn’t made by Google. There are some very compelling devices being made by the other manufacturers.

Until I can count on getting updates for the device I guess I’ll just stick with Nexus devices however. Also, everyone seems to do some amount of skinning/mucking around with the Android UI/UX, which I rarely find ends up improving the experience.

Are the components used to make these things really so different that we can’t update like, say, Linux or Windows which runs on basically all PC hardware? Is there no modular driver model to allow for something like that?

• ronch

Whoa, you must be really smart! /s

Don’t make it complicated just to be a showoff (you remind me of the showoff at the bar in the movie ‘Good Will Hunting). Different stores will give a specific product different control numbers depending on their system of assigning numbers despite the barcode. Even AMD refers to every specific product as an SKU. Obviously, Chang meant the specific product or model pointed to by the SKU #.

• Tuanies

That’s Z580CA

• DarkMikaru

Well, considering that I just relized that I forgot my beloved Nexus 7 2012 in the back seat pocket of todays flight I guess I’ll need a replacement. 🙁

Thankfully I don’t really have anything on it of any real value. Only really used it for boom beach lol. The new LG GPad 8.3 is nice also.

• Laykun

“DEFINITION of ‘Stock Keeping Unit – SKU’ A store’s or catalog’s product and service identification code, often portrayed as a machine-readable bar code that helps the item to be tracked for inventory. A stock keeping unit (SKU) does not need to be assigned to physical products in inventory.”

You’r interested in it’s identification code? What about the actual product?

• Generic

If it aint Shortbread. It aint worth it.

• Melvar

• NeelyCam

And I bet this doesn’t have a wireless charging stand.

One of of three that I got was lost to a milk accident, but the other two are going strong. I love the wireless charging stand. Makes it so much easier for kids to keep it charged… Playing with USB charging cables is an exercise on inventing new ways to destroy a cable

• ChangWang

REALLY interested in the 4GB/64GB SKU

• ozzuneoj

Lower resolution than my $99 HP Touchpad from 2011…

:]

• NeelyCam

Perfectly fine for kids playing Minecraft. Saves battery life too, I imagine

• willmore

You might add that the Z170C-A1 goes for $99. Not that it matters as no one would buy that tablet. 1024×600? No thanks.

• Srsly_Bro

No One? I’ve waited like…5 minutes..

Share this post with your friends!