Bid farewell to new Windows 10 preview builds, fresh installations

As Windows 10's July 29 release draws near, Microsoft is temporarily shuttering ISO downloads and cutting off fresh installs of the preview OS. Gabe Aul, general manager of the Operating Systems Group's Data and Fundamentals team, has announced that within 24 hours, no new builds of Windows 10 will be available and preview keys will no longer activate fresh installations. Additionally, whatever build your test system is currently running will show as up-to-date when checking for updates via Windows Update.

Aul says this cutoff is being made so that the company can stress-test its final Win10 distribution channels ahead of the public release of the new OS. New builds will now hit Windows Update when the Operating Systems Group wants users to stress-test the system. After that testing is complete at some point in the future, new builds will become available for download as ISOs.

As of this writing, ISOs for build 10162 are still available for download, but it may be best to wait if you don't already have a test system running a Windows 10 preview build. Nobody is running these builds on production hardware, right?

Ben Funk

Sega nerd and guitar lover

• VincentHanna

did they upload a new one after they had said they were done? 10240 anyone?

• spugm1r3

Doesn’t seem to apply to Server 2016. Does anyone know anything to counter that conclusion?

• Neutronbeam

Oh, one other thing–Classic Shell works great on Win 10 and to me is absolutely an essential add-on.

• culotso

It’s worth shelling out the $5 for Start8/Start10. ClassicShell is soo dorky.

• squeeb

Dorky? You may be on the wrong site my friend.

I “produce” garbage comments on news posts and forums from W10 sometimes.

Production hardware.

I guess we’re all content creators.

• chuckula

Speaking of which, is “leveraging synergies” going to be your ‘purportedly’?

If I’m going to leave a mark on TR, it’s not going to be with a mere catchphrase, and certainly not by copying Cyril or using corporate doublespeak (no matter how much auxy loves that particular phrase). I want it to be in my [url=https://techreport.com/news/28626/report-apple-reaps-92-of-all-smartphone-profits<]mixed metaphors[/url<] and that I generally have fun when I write. I'm not really allowed much fun writing end-user docs and HLOs at my full-time job, and the one thing that stuck out in talking to Scott is that he said this job should be fun. So I'm having fun at the readership's expense. Lol

• torquer

So is SSK.

Yikes. When you put it that way…lol

• sweatshopking

YOU LOVE ME. DON’T EVEN PRETEND OTHERWISE.

• LoneWolf15

Anyone capable of using the bathroom is a “content creator”.

• Neutronbeam

Running build 10166 from Win 10 Home version to Pro version on four machines ranging in age from 2008 to 2011, with RAM from 4GB to 24GB, , from 2 core 1.80Ghz AMD chips to multicore i-7 at 3.20Ghz. Exactly one issue so far after downloading AMD Win 10 driver. Overall boots fast, shuts down fast, no complaints–so fingers crossed and burning a stick of RAM on the altar of the computing gods.

• mizkitty64

Build 10662…?

The rest of us are stuck on 10166…

• GTVic

Must be a typo, I’m on 10166. If you google 10662 you get a lot of hits for LEGO πŸ™‚

• maxxcool

build 10162 was the initial release. there was a update to 10166 almost immediately after it was posted.

“”For those of you on older builds – now is definitely the time to upgrade to the most current build. Grab 10166 from Windows Update today or build 10162 ISOs from the Windows Insider Program website. Thank you to all of our Windows Insiders who have given us terrific feedback and helped us shape Windows 10. We’re getting close to release now and the whole team here is working hard and incredibly excited!””

from :: [url<]http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/[/url<]

My bad. Typo. Should have said 10162.

• Nevermind

Early adopters are fools. There has to be some way to monetize this..

• Kurotetsu

Early adopters are a big reason why bugs get found and fixed. Its fun to bash them until you realize that the “I’ll buy it after all the bugs are fixed” strategy is only possible because of them.

• Srsly_Bro

i’m not sure you mean “only”

• lilbuddhaman

Or a company does proper beta testing? Oh silly me, that’s only reserved for small time outfits, not multi-billion dollar corporations

• MrDweezil

It’s already monetized. Launch day is typically the highest price something is going to be. A year later it will likely work better and cost less.

• sweatshopking

except it’s only free for the first year.

• Pzenarch

… isn’t that the big part of Apple’s business plan? πŸ˜›

• End User

Early adopters kick ass.

• Kaleid

40e season pass for Arkham Knight.

• End User

I can’t wait any longer. My 500GB MX200 arrived from newegg.ca so I ‘m going to install 10166 (or whatever the latest build is) over the weekend.

• GTVic

Read the article carefully, you can download the ISO now and do a fresh install now but if you try a fresh install on the weekend it may not activate.

• End User

Tom Warren over at The Verge was kind enough to put together an ISO of build 10240. I just did a clean install on a new SSD and it installed without a hitch.

• sweatshopking

install it on that sp3 you hate.

• TwoEars

I suspect there will be a rush to upgrade once the free upgrade period ends next year sometime. Until then I’m staying far away.

• torquer

I see the whole “wait for SP1” crap every time a new release comes out. Unless you’re in Enterprise IT with 3rd party apps/services on the client that you’re worried about, whats the point of waiting? I can see if you have hardware that doesn’t have drivers yet, but aren’t we all enthusiasts and actually kind of enjoy troubleshooting?

And if you ARE in Enterprise IT and have a good reason (or policy) to wait, shouldn’t you be working instead of posting?

• Ninjitsu

No I don’t think anyone of us likes troubleshooting for the heck of it, anymore. I’d rather do more productive things with my day than clean up Microsoft’s crap.

• TwoEars

“but aren’t we all enthusiasts and actually kind of enjoy troubleshooting”

• HisDivineOrder

(Edited thanks to GTVic) NEARLY [e]very word (I’ve read or heard) is that even the latest builds for testers are buggy as all get out. OEM’s aren’t going to have time to get hardware out on Day 1 even though they planned around doing it as long as the RTM came out last week. But it didn’t.

Microsoft’s doing everything to make that July 29th date, but the OS isn’t ready. They’re definitely not going to get a great new reputation if they deliver something buggy as final release, but increasingly that’s looking likely.

It’s like Microsoft doesn’t ever learn from its old mistakes.

• LostCat

I haven’t seen any bugs at all on 10166. One game won’t play, but that’s pretty much it.

• maxxcool

There are some issues still.
        –Xbox sign in is crazy crash happy
        –vmware workstation has issues with replicated nic’s
        –vmware workstation ‘looses’ mouse and key focus a lot
        –transferring large numbers of files crashes the desktop (380,000 family photos hung the box overnight by right click and copy)
        –spartan hates cnn, crashes frequently on heavy flash enabled pages .. hell it crashes on TR
        –dxweb installer crashes legacy games onces installed requiring a full OS re-install
        –the new SMB network security is poorly documented and buggy.. (acl issues)
        –icon cache corruption seems prevalent, fresh install night and I have “empty clear tiles”
        –store sign in buggy. says I am not authorized to buy some apps.. but others are fine… then it asks me to log in again.. works sometimes..

just to name a few that bug me the most … BUT I AM STILL USING IT .. pretty decent thus far. needs another 2 months imo ..

• Concupiscence

>> transferring large numbers of files crashes the desktop (380,000 family photos hung the box overnight by right click and copy)

Friggin’ Explorer. I’m willing to bet it’s fine dealing with that kind of load at the command line, but Explorer’s tended to freak out about large scale file operations like that for years…

>> spartan hates cnn, crashes frequently on heavy flash enabled pages .. hell it crashes on TR

Growing pains.

>> dxweb installer crashes legacy games onces installed requiring a full OS re-install

Wait, [b<]what?[/b<] >> the new SMB network security is poorly documented and buggy.. (acl issues) Continuing efforts to fix what's broken result in more breakage? Unfortunate. >> icon cache corruption seems prevalent, fresh install night and I have "empty clear tiles" I hope that gets sorted... It sounds like a bug you'd run into within a raw-round-the-edges desktop manager in Linux.

• maxxcool

“” dxweb installer crashes legacy games onces installed requiring a full OS re-install

Wait, what?””

Yeah, I was loading up mechawarrior 4 and DDo, and to get high res (for ddo) textures you need to run the ”dxweb” installer that grabs about 1gb of dx DSK runtimes. After the install I could not even run 3dmark πŸ˜› (3d assest crash error messages)

luckily I could care less and re-installed. DX is beta so I expect it is just a tick box on compile away from being fixed ..

• curtisb

Instead of running dxweb, try this. Go into Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off. Under “Legacy Components” enable “DirectPlay” and see if that gets it to work. That’s available on Windows 8.1 as well.

• maxxcool

when I give her a go again i will do that.. thanks!

• TrailBlazerDK

FWIW I have been running DDO (highRes) just fine on the previous build.

I have not tried starting it on the 10166 version yet. I will try it later today.
            But then I might not encounter the problem, because it is already installed on my test computer.

• culotso

Nvm, I misread.

• Ninjitsu

Not sure if that’s good enough for release to the general public at Microsoft’s scale.

• VincentHanna

I’m also running 10166, got a critical error (NOT a blue screen) just yesterday. Also issues with pretty much every video streaming site, and edge still either opens, or it doesn’t. Very hit and miss.

• lilbuddhaman

“i haven’t seen any bugs”
        “except for this one…”

This is why MS gets away with this stuff

• Concupiscence

The news I’ve gotten is a little more positive, but this is starting to remind me of Vista’s “scramble for the exits, we’ve GOTTA ship this thing” mad dash to the gold master. Granted, in that case it was to avoid legal liability to numerous Fortune 500 companies that signed five year software and OS update contracts and had received none of the latter… As one wonk put it, “Microsoft was going to deliver Windows Vista to those companies by the end of 2006 if it meant shipping them a DVD-R with a label written in crayon.”

Windows 10 is probably good. But I’m too busy to beta test, and I won’t touch it until it’s spent six months in the wild.

• Concupiscence

They don’t have to learn from too many of those. They’re a functional monopoly, and people keep giving them money. There’s still not an affordable, sufficiently organized alternative that will run the applications Microsoft’s customers need on a regular basis. Thus, the forces we perceive – mistakes and oversights that would blow ruddy great holes in most company business models, causing loss of marketshare and profit – just don’t [i<]affect[/i<] Microsoft like they'd affect a company that had to vigorously compete within its marketplace. The worst that will happen is that customers bitch until Microsoft [i<]has[/i<] to listen, months after which some kind of band-aid is issued and people just keep lining up for more because it gets the job done. It's all really depressing and gross.

• GTVic

“Every” doesn’t include me. I had one build where I had to re-install software, one build that wouldn’t allow me to use the fingerprint reader, one really slow update to a build. Since then it has been working fairly well and all previous issues have disappeared.

I can provide a link to the definition of “every” if that would help.

• HisDivineOrder

Thanks.

• sweatshopking

great for me too.

I’m running The 10.0.10159 Enterprise Preview which seems pretty flaky still, with enough additional interface quirks to make me think they’re just slapping a bow on it in the current state and hoping enough people don’t notice what’s wrong.

[b<]There was this massive focus to undo the damage that Sinofsky and Ballmer did with W8 There was enough fanfare that this wouldn't be 8.2 but skipping 9 and going straight to 10 Game-changing version naming to put as much distance between the schizophrenic, clumsy 8 and the new Windows 10 as possible. [/b<] Since October, I've watched microsoft pull a U-turn most of their W10 announcement goals and what we have now is effectively Windows 8.2, more Windows 8-like than the October release and probably closer to what Sinofsky and Ballmer were hoping a polished, W8 should have been at launch back in 2012. The key issues of dual interfaces that sometimes fight or conflict still exist. The flat, W8 tile theming with awful readability and colour contrast prevails. The fundamental design of the thing isn't sure if it's a touch-centric or mouse-centric effort, doesn't really know if it's for a large screen or a small screen.... I think my favourite gripe with W10 is that microsoft had the gall to say that they're making a desktop/laptop OS that wouldn't be hampered by or prioritise touch-centric tablet usage. What they have is arguably a better tablet interface than ever before, but they seem to have forgotten the original goal of W10 and why so many people disliked W8 in the first place. I, for one, will enjoy Windows 8.2 when it launches on July 29th, and I hope that Windows Redstone in 2016 is closer to what was originally promised with W10.

• sweatshopking

As anyone who actually jas A windows tablet will tell you, 8.1 is a far better tablet ui. Ten is definitely a desktop focused version

• HisDivineOrder

I think the problem I have with Windows 10 is its version of the Start Menu is inferior to the Windows 7 version. It may be “a [MORE] desktop focused version” than Windows 8, but it’s certainly not desktop focused compared to Windows 7.

That’s the problem I have with it. It’s still too focused on Touch UI than it ought to be when one is not using Touch.

I think Windows 8 should just switch between Windows 7’s Start Menu and Windows 8’s Start Screen based on preferences and/or detection of a mouse/keyboard/touch.

Seems pretty simple, but Microsoft… never does things the simple way.

• Ninjitsu

But if they did it your way, they wouldn’t be able to pay someone to strip out all Start Menu code, would they!? (and then put it back in)

• VincentHanna

I disagree. Imo the “all apps” drawer is a complete mess, but otherwise, if you get rid of the tiles on the right hand side and shrink the menu, which you CAN do if you want, calling the start menu “touch focused” is just dishonest.

• TheRealSintel

Except that the naming has nothing to do with PR, but with poorly written legacy programs incorrectly identifying the windows version by the name string

“Oh you must be running windows 95/98”

• VincentHanna

myth. Sounded plausible, was debunked within 48hrs. old news.

• sweatshopking

It only launches on 29th for select hardware. It’s a rolling release and as more stuff gets tested it’ll be more reliable. I have all new hardware and i haven’t had a crash in a LONG time. The applications like outlook metro need work, but they’re not the OS, and are separate to be easily updated.
      For the select launch hardware it’ll be fine. 10166 is fine and at least as solid as 8.1. The ONLY issue i’ve had is amd drivers, but with the new ones those seem to be resolved.

• Choz

Microsoft are too busy utilising best of breed collaborative platforms to leverage synergies which will allow them to deliver on their core competencies as they strive to interactively integrate holistic content to allow us to endeavor to assertively maintain quality deliverables.

• LostCat

Come to think of it: the Killer NIC filter stuff needs to be disabled or it goes haywire (wrt interrupt usage) in 10 on my box.

• squeeb

Funny, I just thought they learned every other release.

• pogsnet1

You know there is a saying “If it has no bugs then it is obsolete”

• aspect

ARE YOU SAYING WINRAR IS OBSOLETE.