HP’s Win10 business offerings include new hardware, services

Windows 10 is coming, and PC makers everywhere are capitalizing on its release as a way to stem declining PC sales. HP certainly isn’t sitting out the occasion: the company has pulled back the curtain on its family of Windows 10 devices and services for businesses, due to be available shortly after Win10’s July 29 launch.

HP touts the security offered by new Windows 10 features like Microsoft Hello, Microsoft Passport, and Device Guard as reasons to upgrade, as well as its own security measures. One is HP Sure Start, which is described as a "self-healing BIOS." Sure Start inspects the system’s firmware for malicious modifications and automatically re-flashes the BIOS if it detects a threat, which could come in handy given what we’ve learned from recent Hacking Team leaks. HP will also offer its own PC management software suite to make life easier for IT departments deploying HP hardware.

To go with its new services, HP announced some new business-oriented hardware for Windows 10. One offering is a limited Bang & Olufsen edition of the EliteBook Folio 1020. This Core M-powered notebook offers 12.5," 1920×1080 and 2560×1440 display options, and it also gets a spiffy black-and-gold finish and B&O audio. Pricing and availability weren’t announced. Another mobile choice is the Pro Tablet 608, an 8" Cherry Trail slate with an Intel Atom x5-Z8500 processsor, up to 4GB of memory, and 128GB of eMMC storage onboard. Fans of more square aspect ratios may appreciate the Pro Tablet 608’s 4:3, 2048×1536 display. The Pro Tablet 608 will start at $479.

Ben Funk

Sega nerd and guitar lover

• Rageypoo

I’m extremely cautious with anything that comes from HP. They don’t stand behind their products, and their practices with unnecessary ink cartridge usage in their printers makes me think they’re untrustworthy.

Are they ditching TN screens?

HP fill the budget laptop aisles in local stores and so many of them are barely-usable TN.

It’s a shame because I think HP’s design and ergonomics are usually spot on. The beancounters just ruin the final product with cutbacks in key areas.

• Scrotos

That is my only complaint. The screens are horrible and for a business laptop, what the hell?!?

Oh yeah, I don’t buy any business laptops without IPS. Even for consumers most laptop TN’s are barely adequate for even web-browsing and spreadsheets.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/mh2hdIz.jpg<]Here's an example of a mediocre TN compared to one of my monitors.[/url<] The TN panel in that laptop is definitely higher quality than most of HP's TN offerings and it's still atrocious; The human brain basically performs contrast and saturation adjustments so that, in isolation, you can be tricked into thinking that the colours and contrast of TN are okay. The camera does not have a brain, it just records the actual result and it's pretty woeful even at the reasonably square-on camera angle.

• stdRaichu

I don’t think you’ve been paying attention to prevailing paradigms in the evolution of user-facing UX synergies – pale, low-contrast washed-out colours are the One True Way interfaces should be designed and are thus a perfect alliance for TN panels. There’s simply no need for colours to look like they do on your dinosaur screen.

I recommend all you users with IPS or PVA screens throw out your obsolete junk ASAP and get with the future!

I actually chuckled out loud, like an IRLLOL. Those are pretty rare when I’m web-browsing 🙂

• odizzido

oh where oh where have the 10 inch laptops gone? Oh where or where could they be?

• UberGerbil

With their keyboards cut off and touch screens turned on / They’re convertibles now don’t you see?

• Generic

Plusses all around!

• odizzido

hehe I like it

• Omniman

I do like the limited Bang & Olufsen edition look but I’m sure it will be a bit steep in price 🙁

• DrCR

I’m not concerned at all about automatically reflashing, since I’m sure it will require the source to be digitally signed before it reflashes, and that’s something that will totally not ever be compromised. Is the hardware made by Foxconn by any chance?

• w76

Hmm.. I wonder if corporate customers at the likes of GE and whatnot dig that deep on newly purchased hardware for employees to avoid data exfiltration, analyzing the BIOS and whatnot against known-good data provided by the vendor. Otherwise, that sounds like a good vector for Chinese corporate espionage:

1. Plant moles in Foxconn
      2. Hire black-hat sorts or use government-provided malicious code
      3. Copy-Paste the Western worlds finest technology, direct from the West’s finest engineers computers
      4. ???
      5. Profit

• Scrotos

You can disable the auto flashing. Or specify an intranet repository if you want. I believe they require signing as at least their laser printer line had many firmware updates a year or two ago to require signed firmware updates.

• pyro_

That pro tablet 608 looks like it will be the replacement i have been looking for for my thinkpad 8 tablet I use for traveling. Have been looking for an 8″ with 128GB storage and 4GB ram for a while.

Looks like 600 or 700$ depending on if you want LTE or not for the 4GB/128GB model according to the HP site [url<]http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/tablets/product-detail.html?oid=8683051&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004#!tab=features[/url<]