It's Labor Day weekend, gerbils. Perhaps that means it's time to spend some of your hard-earned cash on some deeply discounted PC hardware. Let us help. We've collected the best deals we can find from our favorite online retailers, so let's get started.
- Newegg has EVGA's GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 graphics card on sale for just $290. This card has reference 1050MHz base and 1178MHz boost clocks, which shouldn't be any sweat for EVGA's beefy ACX 2.0 cooler to handle. This card also includes a free copy of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which has "overwhelmingly positive" user reviews on Steam and costs $60 by itself. For those willing to chance it, EVGA is also offering a $10 rebate card, which could make this GTX 970 an even more appealing deal.
- Newegg also has Asus' Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard on sale for $140, an excellent price for the USB 3.1-infused version of one of our favorite Intel Z97 boards. Skylake CPUs are out now, it's true, but perhaps you're looking for a home for the elusive Broadwell Core i7-5775C, or maybe you just want to build around a Haswell CPU to save a few bucks. This is a good place to start.
- If an X99 motherboard and a Haswell-E CPU are something you've been dreaming about, it just so happens that Asus' X99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard is also on sale this weekend at Newegg. Promo code EMCAXAK42 knocks $20 off the board's current $250 price tag for a grand total of $230. This board is the foundation of our X99 builds in our System Guide, and it garnered an Editor's Choice award in our review.
- Speaking of System Guide staples, the Core i3-4160's slightly faster sibling—the Core i3-4170—is on sale at Newegg for just $110 with promo code EMCAXAK44. This chip packs two 3.7GHz Haswell cores with Hyper-Threading enabled, so it's a fine basis for midrange gaming builds that won't be overclocked.
- Newegg has Fractal Design's Define S case on sale for $70, $10 less than its suggested price at release. The Define S is well-built, roomy, and quiet, all of which helped it win a TR Editor's Choice award in our review.
- There's also a range of terabyte-class SSDs on sale at Newegg for great prices this weekend. We won't devote a whole lot of words to each one, but they're all worthy of consideration:
- OCZ's Trion 100 960GB SSD is $280 this weekend, or just $0.29 per gigabyte. That's one of the lowest prices we've seen for a terabyte of solid-state storage. It's a bit pokey, but the Trion is a budget drive, not a flagship. Even so, it should be a big upgrade over a mechanical HDD.
- Mushkin Enhanced's Reactor 1TB SSD is $320
- The fancier Crucial MX200 1TB SSD adds some perks like hardware encryption support for $330
- Samsung's excellent 850 EVO 1TB SSD is $333 after promo code EMCAXAR82
Whew. We've almost certainly missed some deals in the Labor Day deluge, so be sure to share any other great offers you find with TR readers in the comments. Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.