Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will support DX12 on launch day

Looking forward to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's eye candy? There's more good news today, then. TweakTown's Anthony Garreffa had a little chat with AMD's Richard Huddy about the company's involvement with DirectX 12. The conversation eventuallly led to a discussion of Mankind Divided, and some good news about the game's graphics came to light. It seems Mankind Divided will be billed as one of AMD's showcase titles (as part of the company's Gaming Evolved program), and it'll include effects like TressFX Hair 3.0 technology. More importantly, the DirectX 12 API will be supported from day one.

Our gerbil-in-chief Scott will also be happy with another small but important reveal: Mankind Divided will have benchmarking features built in. This should make it a good candidate for inclusion in TR's eventual DirectX 12 benchmark suite.

• Bensam123

Yay new forms of motion blur… *sigh*

• kamikaziechameleon

The game engine looks decent still. Wonder how it will look in motion. Animations and soft bodies are a huge aspect of graphics that have been separating quality of technology in the current gen. Fancy lighting and bump mapping/texture tech is expected.

• Prestige Worldwide

Really looking forward to DX:MD.

I found their choice of engine to be very poor for DX:HR and feel like their new tech will really bring their world to life.

• Klimax

Well, looking forward to it. And my analytical tools like VTune too. And they better have well written DX 11 code path if they want to showcase DX 12. (As opposed to Oxide idiocy/incompetency/sabotage)

ETA: Fastest downvote I ever got. Fun. I see my fanclub is already here… 😀

• nanoflower

Give them credit for getting their name out there.

• Pholostan

Oxide’s Nitrous engine has a very optimized DX11 codepath that is vendor specific. AMD has not made much effort for their DX11 driver, hardly Oxides fault.

• maxxcool

Die! Die! Die! /hug.smile/ ;P

• Meadows

To date I have not played any of the Deus Ex games but I’m aware of the hype. Will I miss something important if I skip the earlier titles?

• travbrad

You probably won’t miss much. It just takes place in a future where some humans are augmented with robotic parts/chips, and there is discrimination against the “augmented” people (hence “mankind divided”). That’s probably all you really need to know.

Human Revolution is worth playing though. You can probably get it cheap and it’s not dated too badly. The original is very dated now, even if it was a great game for its time.

• Meadows

I don’t have a problem with old games, but I don’t play one often because I haven’t missed many that I might care for. One of the recent examples is American McGee’s Alice, where I played through the original before playing the sequel, but even that happened a few years ago now. I’m bound to eventually start (and finish) Beyond Good and Evil one of these days, too. I also haven’t finished the Penumbra games, which I got after playing through Amnesia, but those are not *that* old.

The first Deus Ex can’t look worse than those examples, so the question is whether there’s anything at all to gain from going back to it. Story, for example, assuming there’s any.

• Ninjitsu

Well, no, really. travbad summed it up quite well. Pick up the Human Revolution: Director’s Cut on sale if you want to get a feel for the mechanics and stuff.

The original was more first person, DE:HR was third person and had cover mechanics. This is probably going to be similar.

Story wise it’s not tremendously interesting, I felt, though it does extrapolate current world politics and technology fairly well.

• sweatshopking

HR was first person…

• Ninjitsu

It was? Damn, memory fails me. Could it be just be the cover mechanic then, that was third person?

• Platedslicer

Positive. But it does make a pretty big difference, being able to look and shoot around corners without having to stick your neck out, like you had to do in the original. Especially since so much time is spent behind cover.

• BobbinThreadbare

The LoS for stealth is also based on being in cover. I know some people actually disabled the cover system to have a more DX1 like experience but you have to be damn good at avoiding enemies or they’ll spot you when you think you’re behind a solid object.

• BobbinThreadbare

Until you went into cover when it switched to 3rd.

• Meadows

Cover mechanics can go die in a fire.

• Demetri

It’s been a while since I’ve played the original Deus Ex, but I still consider it one of my top favorites of all time. If you don’t mind the Y2K era graphics, it has an excellent story/plot with multiple paths. The gameplay is an FPS mixed with stealth and RPG elements. Sound/music is good; I still love that UNATCO theme music.

• Krogoth

Just references that pertain to the predecessors.

I would strongly recommend playing the original Deus Ex.

• BobbinThreadbare

There is next to no story continuity between the games, the newer ones actually take place before the older ones.

That said I prefer the first game the most. It offered the huge levels and “bag of tricks to use as you please” gameplay that Looking Glass Studio was famous for (basically everyone who worked on Deus Ex followed Warren Specter from LGS to Ion Storm). The newer ones are slicker, but lack the same amounts of freedom.

DX1 and DX:HR are both good though. Heard DX:IW sucked and I never played it.

• ztrand

Invisible War didn’t really suck, it was a quite good game if you give it a chance. It is only because it (obviously) gets compared to the towering awesomeness that was DX1 that is seems lacking.

But seriously, everyone should play DX1 at least once. It is still an amazing game even though the graphics are ooooold.

• NoOne ButMe

Yay! Async shaders here we come!

• Krogoth

My API is augmented!

• LostCat

I definitely asked for this.

• Krogoth

Not a shame.

• Mr Bill

Uh Oh, expect a letter from Larry Ellison.

• Krogoth

I was expecting more of a bomb.

• maxxcool

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Laykun

DX12 support … will be unlocked if enough people pre-order.

• auxy

I ctrl+shift+T’d to upvote this. LOL’d.

• Prestige Worldwide

Come on now, they aren’t EA / Activision / UBI.

• morphine

Context: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/28948/deus-ex-mankind-divided-extras-tied-to-preorder-sales-numbers[/url<]

• Ninjitsu

They aren’t afraid to dream!

• ferdinandh

Of more money?

• brucethemoose

I wonder if TressFX 3.0 will absolutely murder performance like 1.0 (or was it 2.0?) did.

Also, I wonder if Jensen’s beard will be animated…

• Terra_Nocuus

Maybe it’ll grow like Geralt’s: You’re too stealthy? Taking forever to sneak around and hack all the things? Welcome to ZZ Top!

• brucethemoose

Once it’s long enough, you can augment the beard!

• NoOne ButMe

Murder performance compared to being off? Maybe. Although, it’s only 10-20% with Nvidia being less last time I saw benchmarking.

Care to compare it to Hairworks, because, it slaughtered that in terms of performance.

• Klimax

Hairworks has large impact on performance (same on Geforce and Radeons) but unlike Tomb Rider’s fallback, Witcher has competent hair rendering system so it Hairworks doesn’t shine as much. (Animals and monsters are different case – HW is very good on them)

Note: taken from HardOCP article and authors comments in discussion of it.

• Pholostan

Last time I checked TressFX ran just as well if not better on Nvidia hardware. And yes, Hairworks has a much bigger performance impact.

• gamerk2

Because Hairworks did more.

• DrDominodog51

Hairworks does more unnecessary effects that do not change the end frame much.

• Klimax

Strongly depends on object in question and how well fallback code is done. CD Project Red has good devs and difference is small on Gerald. (Animals are bit different … animal 😉 )

Tomb Rider was different case altogether.

• DoomGuy64

Like 8x AA in a hidden setting?

• brucethemoose

Yes, Hairworks is a monster too. But that doesn’t make TressFX any better.

• Jigar

I had to login to -1 you. Where were you and your kinds when Gamework titles are killing graphic cards ???

• brucethemoose

Umm, right here?

I never said Hairworks or Gameworks was any better.

• Jigar

Yeah, internet has made so much diplomatic that we want to sneak as soon as people call us out. We got what you were trying to swing here Nvidia fanboy.

• brucethemoose

I consider myself neutral, but I’ve never actually owned an Nvidia card… Only AMD/ATI.

• Bensam123

TressFX didn’t have a big negative effect on performance, you’re thinking of HairWorks. Good example being Tomb Raider, versues Witcher 3 Hairworks on AMD cards. Difference being about 15FPS for Tomb Raider with TressFX on and turning Hairworks on in Witcher 3 on AMD cards caused it to grind to a hault unless you manually changed Tesselation options specifically for hair.

Hairworks also looks like poop compared to TressFX.

• Milo Burke

Whoa, TressFX 3.0 already?

Was Tomb Raider 1.0?

• sweatshopking

6.0

• Wildchild

lol’d harder than I probably should have.

• NoOne ButMe

They talked about TressFX2.0 and I think it was never used by anyone lol!

• Dezeer

I am pretty sure TressFX 2.0 is used in the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

• sweatshopking

yay! last one was pretty good.