Taste the rainbow with NZXT’s Hue+ lighting controller

LED light strips may be popular, but solid colors and constant brightness levels may not be wild enough for some modders' tastes. That's where NZXT's Hue+ digital RGB LED strip controller comes in. Check out the company's video for an idea of what the Hue+ can do (fair warning: dubstep).

The Hue+ has two independent control channels, each capable of running up to four LED strips or a total of 40 LEDs. The controller is all-digital, so we don't get any knobs to fiddle with—at least, not the physical kind. NZXT's Cam software integrates with the Hue+ to let light jockeys take full control of hues and tones. Cam offers a selection of solid colors or eight preset lighting effects.

Besides custom lighting presets, the Cam application can also make the LED strips react to system temperatures, frame rates, or audio output. NZXT has the Hue+ up for preorder at $60.

Yesss!!
    I’ve been waiting for one of these for aaaaaaaaAAAaaages.
    My case has been feeling a little too minimalist and understated for a while now, so I’m going to order this for sure to get the full benefits of gamerbling. I hear that’s like The Internet 2.0 or a PewDiePie’s ActiveX Flash plugin for Java.

Quick question though:
    Is this compatible with soundproofed cases, or do I also need to buy a windowed side panel?

Another quick question:
    If I buy a windowed side panel, does the light effect still work when I stick sound-absorbing foam in the window?

Thanks, gerbils!
    xx

• bill94el

Pointless

• davidbowser

Are they trying to get sued by Phillips? Calling an LED control system “Hue+” when Phillips system is called “Hue” seems incredibly short-sighted.

• brucethemoose

I doubt Phillips even knows NZXT exists, so they might get away with it.

• Amien

Huehuehue 😛

• VinnyC

While this is pretty neat, only a single 10 LED strip is included (about 12″ long)? That seems pretty skimpy for $60. I wish the included LED strip was similar to their sleeved ones that are much longer. I don’t need 10 LEDs right next to each other. Spreading them out around the case would be much more preferred.

• Vergil

what kind a rainbow we talking here? Good stuff, high quality?

• Ninjitsu

Rumour has it that it can even display black.

• davidbowser

I have inside sources that claim it can reproduce the entire [url=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZIvg_I3yHx0/S_hwfoyPuUI/AAAAAAAAGP4/Oynu58Ts0KE/s1600/care-bear-easter-rainbow.jpg<]Care Bears rainbow[/url<] and that there are plans for a [url=http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33200000/My-Little-Pony-Friendship-is-Magic-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-33207334-1097-620.png<]My little Pony[/url<] setting.

• RoxasForTheWin

So any word on those alchemy 2 from bitfenix? I’m curious to see how the two products will compare

• esc_in_ks

I have one of the 30 cm Alchemy 2 strips. My PC is fairly large and under a desk. When I want to do a quick hardware swap, it’s nice to have it illuminated right where it sits rather than having to unplug stuff to move it or use a flashlight. The Alchemy 2 strips are magnetic which is great, super easy to install. They are single color, no adjustments or fancy stuff. They can be daisy chained. They require a Molex style connector which is unfortunate as it’s the only thing in my PC which requires that connector. (I’m going to get a SATA power <-> Molex adapter at some point so I can get rid of the extra cable coming off of my modular PSU.)

I’m really happy with the Alchemy 2.