Pros can go ultra-wide with Acer’s B346C and B346CK monitors

Variable-refresh-rate tech is all the rage now, but it's reasonable to say not every user is a gamer. Content creation professionals need correct colors above all, and Acer's ultra-wide B346C and B346CK monitors are right up their alley.

Both monitors have the same 34" diagonal size and share more than a couple specs. Both have IPS panels that can cover 100% of the sRGB color space. Viewing angles are appropriately wide at 178 degrees, and content professionals can tweak color to their liking with these screens' onboard 6-axis color adjustment. No curves on these panels—flat is where it's at.

60-Hz maximum response rates and 6-ms response times are in keeping with these displays' content-creation focus. Connectivity comes by way of DisplayPort, an HDMI port with MHL, and a USB 3.0 hub. A height, tilt, and swivel-adjustable stand and a pair of 3W speakers round out the base package.

Where the B346C and B346CK differ, though, is in resolution and bit depth. The B346C has a 2560×1080 resolution and 8-bit color depth, while the B346CK aims higher with its 10-bit, 3440×1440 panel.

Acer backs these monitors with a three-year warranty. The B346C will set you back $600, while the fancier B346CK will sell for $700.

• btb

Pros and Acer don’t mix.

• End User

The B346C is ultra-short.

• TruthSerum

I’ll complain about… that base!

• chuckula

Your complaints are all about that base? ’bout that base?

• Scrotos

All your base are belong to us.

• sweatshopking

nope. also windows 10.

• TruthSerum

Very few monitors are running Windows 10, despite even the most optimistic projections…

“Cortana, book a relaxing weekend for our friend here.. he needs it”

• gbcrush

Ultrawide x 2160 or bust! 😀

• Tumbleweed

I can’t wait for them to start making 5040×2160 panels.

• Airmantharp

And single-GPU cards that can render games at >100FPS on said panels at the highest settings :D.

• kuraegomon

Well, just get a 40in standard 4K monitor, and wait a few months for Big Pascal/Whatever AMD’s response is on 16nm. The next GPU generation should get us a heck of lot closer 😀

• Airmantharp

I said ‘>100FPS’ to imply that you’d want to exceed the 60Hz that 4k panels are stuck at; certainly we’d need one of the forthcoming video output upgrades to run 16:9 4k or the potential 21:9 5k panels at those refresh rates :).

• Tumbleweed

We should probably just move to how the Mac does it – connect the monitor to the machine via Thunderbolt 3, and not worry about bandwidth.

• DancinJack

I just can’t get on-board with the ultra wide shenanigans. I have been on 16:10 for a long time, but I could do 16:9 as long as the vertical is >=1200px.

• demani

So the upper model hits that vertical res. But I’ve found a lot of pros are happier with that spec (3440×1440) than a pair of 1920×1200 screens (which had been the standard). Things like timelines and Windows all can spread across the screen, and there isn’t that bar up the middle. They just sit down and feel at ease (really, not needing to look left or right and being able to focus dead center makes for a more relaxed position). This looks to be a nice option in that market, especially having 10bit color processing.

• Airmantharp

The curved versions alleviate this somewhat, though quality control (at every stage) has thus far been an issue, so we’re not likely to see true professional curved LCD monitors using currently shipping panels. Next-gen may be better, or we may have to wait for OLED.

• Firestarter

I like dual monitors for productivity, but my gaming PC is not meant for that. 2 monitors don’t work well in games unless you’re looking to do other stuff (watch streams?) on the second monitor, which I’m not. I’d rather an ultra widescreen monitor to feel that horizontal desk space up, so that I can get some more peripheral vision without having to screw with multi-monitor game configurations

• weaktoss

[quote<] to feel that horizontal desk space up[/quote<] I get excited about ultrawides too, but that escalated quickly!

• Firestarter

desks need love too!

• Bobs_Your_Uncle

Maybe extra attention & care with it comes to cable routing?

• Airmantharp

I currently have four monitors on my desk- only one is used for gaming (well, actually playing the games), while the others are used for web pages, Ventrilo or Teamspeak or Curse, and other utilities.

Having video coming off the CPU is *really* nice for this sort of thing.

• BIF

I have 5, but one of them broke.

• NovusBogus

I like 16:10 and don’t care for 16:9, but it occurs to me that 21:9 could be thought of as being closer to two oldschool square monitors than one awkwardly-proportioned one. It might work.

• Cuhulin

That’s very much how I use mine. I have two 34″ ultrawides, which I often split into left and right screens – produces a nice multi-screen setup with far less mess than I had when I used 3 27’s.

• ChicagoDave

Having used this LG 3440×1440 for a year and a half now, I can confidently say I’ll never go back to a dual screen setup. This is simply a better resolution for both productivity and gaming compared to 16:10 or 16:9 IMO. It is literally dual screens without plastic in the middle. I have my email client on the left and internal quoting system on the right. For games that support the resolution (either natively or via a FOV hack), the immersion is simply awesome.

I’ll still use my TV for 16:9 movie/tv consumption, but any computer with a desktop display is going to be 21:9 from here on out. If you can try it somewhere without buying you really should.

• Shambles

178 degree viewing angle? Yeah right. Do you actually believe that or is this just rewording the press release?

• DancinJack

That’s what almost all IPS-type screens are. I’d say it’s pretty accurate.

• DrCR

Are you suggesting his pockets are lined with [s<]Franklins[/s<] Hamiltons? Edit: In all seriousness, 178 degree viewing angle has been ubiquitous for ps/va for, what, more than a decade. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you're referring to IPS glow.

• TruthSerum

I dunno, 178 degrees is pretty freaking hot man, think of the children.
        Kids are going to burn their eyes out on this new IPS stuff.

Too much angle – they get hooked on the quick buzz of geometric freedom.
        It never lasts. Pretty soon they’re watching TV from the hallway like thugs.

• Wirko

Not hard to test this one out so I did. I laid my Nexus 7 on the table and put a 3 mm drill bit under one of its shorter sides, which made it inclined by 1 degree. Then I looked at it with line of sight parallel to the table surface. I could clearly tell whether there are icons on the screen or not, and it was easy to tell a white background from a blue background.
      Your doubt is certainly well-founded as the true viewing angle is probably closer to 179 than 178 degrees.

• brothergc

uhhh pass …. no interst in monitors this size

• TruthSerum

What are you a giant?

• drfish

Hammerhead.

• kuraegomon

I can’t see why anyone in the market for this type of monitor [i<]wouldn't[/i<] spend the extra $100 for the B346CK.

• DPete27

I’ve said it multiple times, but anything larger than a 24″ 16:9 screen needs to be at least 1440p. To convert that into these ultra-wide 21:9 aspect ratios, anything larger than 30″ should be 1440p.

I have the ability to look at a 27″ 1440p and a 27″ 1080p monitor side-by-side at work and there’s just no comparison. I haven’t laid eyes on a 4k monitor next to my 27″ 1440p, but my eyes are happy looking at the same pixel density as a 24″ 1080p monitor (slightly higher dpi on my 27″ 1440p monitor actually).

• Airmantharp

If the lower-resolution panel supported higher refresh rates, it’d make a lot of sense for gamers; that said, the larger pixels may be of benefit for some.

• kuraegomon

The first is unlikely to be the case. As someone north of the big 4-0, I’m more than willing to grant you the second #IFeelBiFocalsComingOnRealSoonNow

• Airmantharp

Not even there yet, and have my own, though it doesn’t bother me much ;).

• EndlessWaves

Readability.

Either due to distance (deep desk, wall mounting etc.) or worse than average eyesight. It may not be the mainstream market, but there’s definitely several good reasons for them to exist.

I just wish they’d stop charging significantly more for larger screens like they do for TVs. Resolution should be the driver of price, size is down to personal circumstances.

• shank15217

The B346C is useful for multi-display setups where you may want to display information dashboards. Users would by them in large amounts so even a $100 discount can add up.