Poll: What’s your favorite computer these days?

In our last poll, we asked gerbils what they thought of upgrading to systems with Intel's Skylake CPUs inside. Today, we have something a little different.

We think it's a reasonable guess that a good chunk of our audience has several computers in the home, along with multiple smartphones and tablets. Each of those devices has its place, be that heavy-duty gaming, productivity, or light web browsing and app usage on the go.

However, us computer folks tend to have, shall we say, a special place in our hearts for one of our devices. Perhaps it's the laptop with the gorgeous screen, the fancy PC with an audiophile speaker set for listening to beautiful tunes, the gaming rig with quad-SLI power, or simply the phone that fits just so in a jorts pocket.

Let's play Sophie's Choice. Well, Moore's Choice, in this case. You're forced to ditch all of your devices, save for the one you cherish most. Choose wisely. Which one is it?

• Shinare

Laptop over phone because:

a) At some point someone is going to need a spreadsheet or visio document by yesterday; and
    b) My overall happiness could probably benefit from not being accessible %100 of the time.

• ShadowEyez

Depends on what I’m doing and where I am.

At home wanting to play a graphically demanding game? Desktop
    Walking around town, wanting to look something up? Phone
    On an airplane, wanting to watch a movie or read? Laptop or tablet.

Most of us are probably lucky enough from an economic perspective that we own multiple devices and types of devices, which are complementary to our task and location, not exclusionary to one another.

• gerbilspy

Phone, because I always have it with me. My precious!

• Deanjo

My actual favourites are my growing collection of ARM based computers like my CuBox’s, Pi’s etc.

Hey, what can I say, they put the fun back into actual computing and require some good old “let’s get dirty” intimacy with learning the hardware like it was when user friendly meant a power button on the front of the computer and is reminiscent of the home-brew days.

• ermo

Which ARM single board computer is the most well supported after the RPi2, while being more powerful?

• DPete27

I think it’s difficult to include “phone” in the mix since it easily satisfies the most “daily” functions of any on this list, so that’s my vote. For me it’s this:
    Phone = calling, texting, turn-by-turn directions, google/internet in your pocket, camera, notes, calendar, email, games, movies, music, etc etc. It’s literally a laptop that fits in your pocket. Although other devices could do some tasks better/easier, there are very few tasks that CAN’T be done on a smartphone.

However, I think I fit the general vote here that my desktop is my “favorite” computer since I, like most people here, have either built or upgraded their desktop at some point and therefore have a stronger sense of pride in it than my phone. “keep only one device” and “favorite device” produce different answers.

• alrey

High end gaming laptop for me .. nothing beats portability. I’m also using it as an office PC (with the envy of all my office mates πŸ™‚ ) and a usual companion on coffee shop while working on my personal trading programs.

• RdVi

Nice to know there’s so many like minded people here. I feel like I’m constantly having to explain/excuse my preference in every day life.

• setbit

For all the time I spend on my phone, tablet, and HTPC, when I absolutely positively have to get something [i<][b<]done[/b<][/i<], it's the desktop that comes through for me.

• End User

What is it that you have to [b<]do[/b<]?

• Firestarter

I’d much prefer a desktop computer and a dumb phone to just a smartphone. All the other options are irrelevant to me

• riviera74

I chose desktop for one reason: the flexibility. Servers and HTPCs have limited flexibility; laptops even more so. I think we all remember life without a smartphone or tablet in hand, so those are useful but ultimately unnecessary.

I know my next system will be a desktop (once funding is available) and I can see that most of you here agree with that sentiment.

• kamikaziechameleon

raw hours of use my phone wins. But I have a strong love of my desktop. I think some sort of either laptop or desktop solution is still a primary solution cause they I feel more comfortable composing content on them than a tablet or phone.

• Demetri

The desktop is actually the only one I own, and is used for… everything. Wouldn’t mind having a smartphone or Windows tablet to play around with though; but WIFI only, not interested in paying for a data plan.

• thor84no

I’ve had a smartphone for the better part of a decade and I don’t think I’d ever want a non-smartphone ever again, but I use my desktop far more.

I think I would have struggled in my last job where Spotify was blocked if it wasn’t for my phone having it for example – I need my music, but have never really bought and owned much music for myself. As for the data plan it’s not very expensive here so I don’t see a problem. I don’t know what it’s like where you are of course, but I pay only Β£12 ($18) per month for unlimited data.

• EndlessWaves

It’s in addition though, not as a replacement. It’s a 50% increase from Β£24 a month for internet to Β£36 a month for internet.

• tipoo

Well, I’ve been planning a desktop build since forever, but then at convenient timing the Canadian dollar pooped the bed, so now a 1500 dollar planned at near CAD parity build would become near 2000, and then near 2300 after taxes, and probably with some shipping. Neat.

So if choosing from what I own now – my laptop, which is a 15″ rMBP. Choosing as a theoretical – probably a big honking desktop with a clacky keyboard with actual key travel. That I could remote into with a laptop. Yay for both worlds!

Tablets and phones – ehh, I never really figured where a tablet would fit into my life where I wouldn’t rather pull out my laptop for significant work or larger screen consumption (or attach it to a TV), or take out my phone for quick replies or glances. And I like my phone fine, but I like like tabmania and multiple virtual desktop mania on my laptop more.

Wow, HTPC trailing almost last, even when boosted by “[i<]or console[/i<]"! Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've been "desktopping from the sofa" since 2003 even though I have a more powerful workstation in my study/man-cave.

• Redocbew

HTPC is a close second for me. I hardly ever use a desktop-ish device for browsing anymore. Most of the time it’s from the phone or tablet. For movies and TV shows I use the HTPC for since its what’s hooked up to my TV.

• K-L-Waster

My HTPC is basically a second desktop that happens to be in the living room (full i5 system with GTX 970), so it was pretty close for me too. But at the end of the day, the main desktop is what I spend most of my time on and go to for hard core gaming (except for racing games – need the larger screen to be able to use the wheel comfortably and still have decent field of view). Hence the desktop got the vote.

Yeah, that’s me. The HTPC is a desktop with a comfier chair. I WFH from it when I don’t need two 1440p screens for the multitasking real-estate.

• DPete27

I think “HTPC” still generally tends to be a cheaper, low power, lower performance desktop that’s intended to be use to watch TV/Movies/Videos, even though couch gaming HTPCs are growing in popularity among enthusiasts. #blurredlines

• SetzerG

Desktops/workstations have been, and likely will always be my favourite computer, but I’ve become significantly more interested in servers and networking equipment as of late. In particular, just for kicks, I want to build some mini-servers to run a BBS, PBX, NAS, website, PXE server, etc.

• Ninjitsu

Lol pretty much expected the desktop to win out.

• Wirko

The [i<]desklaptop[/i<], consisting of a desk, a laptop, a docking station, a good LCD or two, and a decent keyboard and mouse. I consider it a distinct category beside all those listed, and a pretty common use case in the office.

• Deanjo

In other words one of those suckers that overpaid for an underpowered laptop to use for desktop purposes.

• Peter.Parker

Where is the “all of the above” choice?
    You can have either my phone, tablet, desktop or laptop when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

• End User

• tipoo

Well, the poll does read “If you were forced to choose”. They aren’t interested in the all of the above option.

• eofpi

That’s a lot of hands.

• dodozoid

This is a hard one.
    I regularly use
    my phone (ridiculously cheap LG G Flex 2),

my tablet (Shield Tablet) with LTE for news mails and such,

my laptop ( Thinkpad T430u) which sits in my lab most of the time hooked to dual monitors and a proper full sized keyboard and is realy mobile only when I take it to my parents house.

Though I didnt build them myself.
    From mostly sentimental reasons I voted desktop.
    I built it from a scratch, upgraded it during the years, I did custom-loop watercooling in it just for the pleasure of building. So eventhough I cant spend as much time gaming on it lately, my desktop is the most precious piece of hardware I have.

• ET3D

My favourite device is my tablet, but in terms of usefulness (i.e., what I’d choose to keep), I’d say the order of computers is:

Essential: Phone – I need to be accessible. As a computer it’s shit (single core, 480×320 resolution), and I don’t use it for that.

Essential: Laptop – The family laptop is used for many things, from web browsing through art creation, homework, …

(I don’t think it’s possible to ditch either. They are both needed tools.)

Useful: HTPC – used for watching movies / recording them off TV and for some game playing. Mainly for the kids, and kids come first.

Useful: Nexus 7 2012 – the kids’ tablet. Has quiet a few games on it.

Semi-useful: Xbox 360 – the kids occasionally play on it.

My precious: The Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Not the best tablet in the world, but a pretty decent one. It’s my main entertainment device, used for gaming, reading books and comics, and has seen occasional use for watching DVD’s.

Sees occasional use: Wii

See occasional use: backup laptops

Not used: Desktop, Windows tablet

• Shouefref

It’s the desktop for me too.
    It’s still the most versatile solution, although it might be the less mobile solution.

• internetsandman

I would have said desktop, but if I could only use one device, I would need it to be portable, so I’d rather have a powerful laptop than a desktop

• Krogoth

A good desktop chassis still is the best choice for my needs. A solid server chassis is awesome for professional-tier stuff.

• mdkathon

Still loving my Windows 8.1 HTPC. Rocking a low wattage haswell i5 and a gtx 670. Playing everything maxed out at 720p at about 11 feet away on a 55″ screen. Fallout 4 looks very nice.

Windows 8.1 is still impressing me. I have not had a blue screen, random reboot, etc. since building this rig. Still hurts that Windows 10 dropped WMC. I’d pay a Tivo like subscription if WMC were to continue on W10. With luck the Silicondust DVR can deliver.

• ronch

So, as of this post, all PC-related systems total 90%.

Desktop = 75%
    Laptop = 14%
    HTPC = 1%

We’re not even counting servers, which account for 1% (but what the heck).

Glad to see most people still consider [u<][b<]real[/u<][/b<] computers to be the most important in their lives, or at least their favorite.

• DancinJack

Only here at TR. Make this poll public and the results would be very different.

• ronch

I just remembered: My desktop, based on an AMD FX-8350, is turning 3 years in just a few hours. I bought it on Dec. 15, 2012. I’ve always been intrigued by the Bulldozer architecture even before its release and those 3 years with it seemed to just whiz by. It’s probably the CPU that I’ve loved the most. So, this poll is just in time. Despite its idiosyncrasies, I really just enjoy using my FX-based PC. I can just imagine those prefetchers, decoders, branch predictors, schedulers, AGUs and ALUs, MMX and FP-related units, etc. all working perfectly in tandem, with the front end feeding each of the two integer clusters (‘cores’) within a module every other cycle. I just love it. It truly is the most intriguing and interesting CPU core ever conceived.

So um, yeah, desktop.

• DarkMikaru

Agreed. My 8350 has been great as well. I really don’t wanna let mine go…. love it.

• ermo

As it happens, I’m writing this post on a FX-8350 as well. The CMT is pretty sweet when it comes to “ionice -c3 nice -n20 make -j8” in Linux.

And I can’t choose. My devices have their strengths and weaknesses in various situations, sorry.

I do want a Pixel C, though. It’d be nice if I could make it dual boot between Android and Arch Linux ARM w/GNOME.

• ferdinandh

Why Pixel C and not Surface4 for instance?

• ermo

Because if it was designed for ChromeOS (and now runs Android), it will likely be easy to install Arch Linux for ARM w/GNOME 3 on the 64 GiB version and thus make it a combined Android tablet and full netbook.

I wouldn’t want to try that with a Surface Pro 4.

• just brew it!

Are the people who voted “Server” just trolling (why is that choice even there?), or is that some sort of new fetish?

I love a good RAID-6 array on a server with ECC RAM as much as anyone (thing of beauty!), but at the end of the day it’s a means to an end, not an end in itself. Without a device through which to access the server, it’s useless.

• auxy

There actually are a small but dedicated group of enthusiasts with a huge weird obsession for server-class hardware, even if it’s older. One of the guys in my IRC channel runs a gigantic bladeserver rack in his house for … no apparent reason. That thing has to suck up 2kW at least! (´・ω・`)

• the

I have experience in this matter. The reasons is simple: “because I can”.

• Redocbew

A friend of mine has a full network complete with its own domain controller at his house, for pretty much the same reason.

• Laykun

You get to bask in the soothing reassuring hum of 60db server fans as they reliably server to clients and like, complete tasks and stuff. Mmm, that satisfaction. However I voted for Laptop, as no one in their right mind should vote for server.

• chuckula

I dunno.

Ask anyone who answered “mobile device” of some type this question: Without servers (lots of them) what would you do with that mobile device?

• BobbinThreadbare

The same thing you’d do with any non-networked computer? Play games, use apps.

• Ninjitsu

But where would you get those apps and games from?

• BobbinThreadbare

In an imaginary world were servers don’t exist it would be back to going to stores. There’s no reason android apps couldn’t be sold in stores.

• cjcoats

Unfortunately, “workstation” was not a choice.

My preferred system has: 8-core Xeon, 32GB ECC RAM, 512GB SSD, 24TB (formatted) RAID, 30″ 2560×1600-physical/3200×2400-virtual display. It fits desk*side* (not desk*top*), but it is (mostly) dedicated to me. Do I call it “desktop” or “server” or (what it really is) “workstation”?

Of course, I [i<]am[/i<] a hard-core environmental modeler; my group was the first in the world to do numerical air quality forecasting... and one high-res hydrology-model run generates 1.2 TB of output. Try looking at that on a remote server, or with an under-powered machine!

I edited the model on my iPod just fine, you must be holding it wrong.

• Deanjo

That’s done all the time on EC2 ;D

• drunkrx

VGA PASSTHROUGH or vGPU

I chose server, because I’m actually in the process of speccing out a new system for myself using VGA Passthrough. So that I can have run various Virtual Machines on one device. Two of the VM’s will be Debian, 1 for desktop work, 1 for HTPC use. Other VM’s will be file server, and various web applications. If I had really had to choose one system from the list, then I’d just spin up a VM for networking too.

And If money was unlimted, I could always add in PC gaming solutions.

So yes Server, because it wasn’t specified in the list what type of server.

Muahahahah…

• Deanjo

Depends on what you do. A lot of the stuff I do actually runs on the server and the workstations are basically oversized dumb terminals.

• hansmuff

Since I’ve started venturing into this area myself about a year ago, here is something interesting about that: software like Plex, torrenting, usenet downloads, hosting your own cloud, running your own dedicated firewall, seem to have a strong renaissance.

It’s because ISPs roll out crap routers and make them public hotspots, TV networks mostly can’t get their shit together offering content at a good price without commercials, and cloud providers yank you around as they see fit to maximize profits (Microsoft, in a recent case.)
      Let’s not even start on surveillance, malware and hacking/hijacking all over the place because of poor security or implementation of ISP routers.

So a good number of folks, myself included, say screw it you guys, I’m going home and building a server that does all my stuff for me. That’s how I ended up with a server in the basement, XEON with ECC RAM, separate pfsense firewall . You could call that angry old man yelling at the cloud (hah!) but in reality I now have all the services I want the way I want them, my monthly cost is fixed and under my control, and nobody can yank me around. Or I should rather say, the yanking around is very limited and I know that if the gubbernment were out to get me they could do so just fine πŸ˜‰

• just brew it!

Oh, I hear you on this one. Until our recent ISP upgrade I had my own home-built firewall, and build my own home file servers. I just wouldn’t call them my “favorite computer”!

• just brew it!

No contest. Desktop by a long shot. And it’s pretty pedestrian by enthusiast standards (Socket AM3+ AMD FX).

I have a collection of several laptops, but they are all older refurbs, TRBBQ swap meet acquisitions, or stuff that was being retired and scrapped by an employer. I just can’t see paying the premium for a new high-end laptop. I don’t need a mobile power user or gaming system; when I’m on the road, I just need basic functionality.

Edit: I also have a MacBook Pro, issued to me by my current employer. The hardware is nice (very thin, great battery life!), but as far as OSX is concerned… well, I just use it to host Debian and Ubuntu VMs, given that my job is actually to develop Linux based software.

• barich

Smartphone followed by laptop.

I’ve got a ridiculously over-powered Sandy Bridge-E desktop (why of course I need 32 GB of RAM!) and I never use it. I don’t game much anymore and was never a PC gamer anyway. I used to encode Blu-rays for my media collection, but now I pretty much stream everything.

Everything else I do doesn’t require that kind of power. If I’m at home on the couch or at a table? Laptop. Anywhere else? Smartphone. I’d be more easily able to give up the laptop than the phone. The phone can do most of what the laptop can do, but the laptop can’t fit in my pocket.

• moose17145

Easy. Desktop.

Since it’s case is a 900D, if I ever needed to I could just live inside of it if I had to. How can you not like a computer that can also double as a mobile home?

Editted for fail sentence initially. Hooray for long days!

• NovusBogus

Important clarification needed: is this forced as in arbitrary social experiment or forced as in going off the grid because idiots finally started WW3, martial law, or similar everyone vs. me scenario necessitating a retreat to familiar mountain territory and prolonged, desperate campaign of disinformation and guerrilla warfare punctuated by the occasional hour of Skyrim? I like my PC, of course, but it’s not very mattress friendly hence the real reason I need a lappy for all seasons.

• moose17145

Don’t worry… my army unit will still find you hiding in the mountains with our precious laptop. MUAHAHAHAHAAaaaaa

• NovusBogus

Your laptop can find me, yes, but spiderbots handle mountains better than fatboys so you may be at a disadvantage when the final laptop duel begins. πŸ™‚

(unless of course I haven’t exhausted my supply of sparkling wine, in which case said spiderbot will likely be found upside down and wedged in a nearby cave)

• odizzido

fatboys could probably just hit you from the bottom of the mountain anyways, they have pretty good range.

• moose17145

^^ This

• CreoleLakerFan

I voted HTPC or console. I just picked up an Nvidia Shield console to replace an HTPC, and MAN is that thing sweetly capable. Very, very, very happy with the purchase.

• TopHatKiller

the ‘Sophie’s Choice’ reference in this context is bloody offensive. Styron’s ‘Sophie’s Choice’ cannot be used as a generic term between choices of ‘equal weight’. I suggest you fuck off and read the book and understand why the use of that phrase is wrong.
    Now I’m going back to writing comical and useless comments.

• auxy

You’re writing useless comments now. Nobody cares if you decided to be offended. Take this junk elsewhere.

• TopHatKiller

Yep. Appreciate you and your like don’t care. But hell, Styron isn’t with us any more, so someone has to stand up for literature and complex arguments that should never be reduced to idiotic ‘piss-off’ phrases.. But of course, you don’t understand that, do you?
        As for my ‘junk’: How Dare You! My junk is happy where it is. Sort of.

• auxy

That’s enough funposting, boyo.

• ronch

Hey [s<]Scott[/s<] Jeff, what say you guys make Auxy here one of TR's administrators? She seems to really have a solid grip on what should and shouldn't be said around here. We need girls like her to keep TR from going insane! πŸ˜€

• TopHatKiller

…just read that… god i hope that’s a ‘joke’.

• TruthSerum

Damn dude, don’t split the baby like that..

• moose17145

Does the fact that someone was actually offended by this innocent article make anyone else feel really happy? Cause it does me!

I mean… seriously… I used to have to go out of my way to offend people… now I can do so simply by waking up in the morning. Truly a marvelous time we live in!

• auxy

I think we’re going to be best friends. (*’Ο‰’*)Πͺ

• TopHatKiller

I made you happy!! Excellent! I should say, like Mr.Burns: “Ex-cell-ENT.”
        Wonderfully happy that you don’t get it, is there some alternate universe where i should?
        Or give a crap?

• moose17145

According to the multiverse theory, actually, there is.

• tootercomputer

Hmm. I concur. Try ever so casually making that comment in, say, Israel. A foolish metaphor.

• blastdoor

I tend to agree. I’m sure no offense was intended, but it is nevertheless kind of offensive.

In general, making whimsical references to horrible human suffering runs the risk of being viewed as offensive and should probably be done sparingly. There’s a place for gallows humor (for example, gallows), but this probably isn’t it.

• ronch

[quote<]Now I'm going back to writing comical and useless comments.[/quote<] Oh but you haven't stopped writing [s<]comical and[/s<] useless comments.

Going *back*? When did you start? /zing

• TopHatKiller

Y’all miss me when I’m gone. You know you will.

• ronch

You’re gonna get banned for such language, dude.

• TopHatKiller

worser things have happened, baby.

• Ninjitsu

I’m not offended, but you’re right – it’s not really in good taste. All those who “don’t care” – well, I pray they never [i<]actually[/i<] have to make a similar choice. [quote<] Sophie and Stingo attempt to flee to a peanut farm in Virginia which Stingo's father has inherited. On the way there, Sophie reveals her deepest, darkest secret: on the night that she arrived at Auschwitz, a sadistic doctor made her choose which of her two children would die immediately by gassing and which would continue to live, albeit in the camp. Of her two children, Sophie chose to sacrifice her seven-year-old daughter, Eva, in a heart-rending decision that has left her in mourning and filled with a guilt that she cannot overcome. [/quote<] No, that's not the choice I made in this poll.

• TopHatKiller

Thanks for that well chosen quote. I am not re-reading the novel because I don’t think I could.
        Thinking about it, ‘Hobson’s Choice’ would have been a far better literary reference to use.
        Wish I said that originally.

• mikepers

I suspect the reference was made without knowing the plot of the book/movie. I know I didn’t know it until now.

I can also understand how some people would find the reference VERY offensive.

And while I generally don’t find anything offensive, I have to admit I would be pretty careful about using “Sophie’s Choice” in that context.

Oh, and totally desktop.

• TopHatKiller

Thanks for an intelligent point.

• Redocbew

If you count a NUC as a desktop, then I guess that one is my current favorite. The gaming machine is in the process of being upgraded, so that doesn’t really count. I could do without the phone as a computing device, and the tablet is nice to have, but I could get by without it also.

• Angst

I wasn’t sure what NUC was counted as, but I just bought one myself and I think it’s the best thing for me at this time. I literally just placed my custom built desktop in the closet and now use my NUC exclusively.

• NovusBogus

The next generation NUC flagship is going to be packing Iris in a less ridiculous package than the current 28W i7. It should make a compelling light-gaming platform.

• auxy

Desktop. It’s desktop, right?

Who in their right minds would pick anything else?

I mean, really, it has to be a desktop… right?

Nothing else even comes close. [b<]Phones[/b<] are locked-down garbage with grotesque thermal limits, [b<]Tablets[/b<] are little better than phones (and much less convenient), [b<]Laptops[/b<] are trying to turn into phone/tablet locked-down junk and are only available from shady manufacturers that don't have your best interest in mind, [b<]Consoles[/b<] are again, locked-down junk that is worse at performing its one useful function than a desktop or HTPC (which are just desktops), [b<]Servers[/b<] are really cool but not all that "fun", and what even goes in [b<]Other[/b<]? Raspberry Pi? Hahaha! (≧▽≦)γƒŽγ‚· HILARIOUS. Obviously desktops are the only truly open and do-it-yourself platform.

• DrDominodog51

I upvoted you after reading most of your post and almost immediately regretted it because you laughed at the RPi. The RPi may not be powerful or easy to get setup, but that’s the fun of it and that’s what I like about. Besides, the RPi (2) is powerful enough to do office work and web browsing.

• auxy

Come on, come on! It’s a garbage device! Fun to play with maybe, but there were already other ARM SBCs before it. It’s not revolutionary or noteworthy at all. The fandom around the rPi is just aggravating! (・へ・)

• DrDominodog51

The thing that makes it good is it’s large marketshare of an admittedly small market. It has quite a bit of software that works on it. Others didn’t have that software.

• auxy

Others are RELEVANT hardware using an ISA that someone actually programs for (ARMv7 instead of this ARM11 v6 garbage) and can simply run Android with all the software that’s available for THAT. All the software that works on the rPi had to make huge concessions to try and work on it. Have you ever used Kodi on an rPi? It’s crap! Craaaap! (; ο½₯`Π΄ο½₯Β΄)

• DrDominodog51

What about the RPi 2?

• auxy

Pi 2 is better, since it uses a normal ARMv7 CPU, but it’s very slow. I guess for $35 there’s only so much you can ask, but the Hardkernel ODROID C1+ has faster CPUs (A5s, but at a much higher clock rate so performance is actually better), faster and more standardized graphics, and gigabit ethernet. And for only ~twice the price (USD $74) you can pick up the ODROID-XU4, which has an Exynos 5 Octa SoC and 2Gbytes of RAM, getting very close to “real computer” territory despite barely being any larger than the rPi.

• DrDominodog51

I’ll have to try to get a ODROID-XU4 and set it up as an office pc. The main problem with RPi (2) is its very little memory and weak gpu. Hmm…

• Deanjo

[quote<]Have you ever used Kodi on an rPi? It's crap! Craaaap! (; ο½₯`Π΄ο½₯Β΄)[/quote<] The question is have you? Because if you did, you really wouldn't be saying that. OoB it runs better than most cobbled PC Kodi setups that I have seen. Just getting a proper remote to work on a PC with XBMC can be a headache. Since the RPi supports HDMI-CEC OoB pick up any remote and it is bound to work.

• DataMeister

But, saying a Raspberry Pi is significantly better than a full desktop computer is a bit like saying those tiny pocket quadcopters are equally as awesome as the DJI Phantom 3 with a gimbal mounted camera or DJI’s even more powerful professional line.

• DrDominodog51

I’m not saying it’s better. I’m saying it’s more fun and isn’t really worthy of being laughed at. It’s significantly worse than a desktop for my usage.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]what even goes in Other? Raspberry Pi? Hahaha! (≧▽≦)γƒŽγ‚· HILARIOUS.[/quote<] I find it odd that you would write off Raspberry/Arduino when they are quite possibly even more hobbyist/enthusiast than desktop.

• albundy

my desktop is really a rack in the closet that’s also an htpc. I run four wires from the closet. Two are HDMI -one to the monitor and one to the tv, a time warner cable that acts as a SPDIF cable with screw-on rca ends linking my sound blaster x-fi to the home theater, and one is a USB 3 extension cord hooked up to a powered hub. I mainly use the rack as an htpc. mostly movies, gaming, tv, music, and miscellaneous ( giggigitty). My tablet hasnt been used in months, and i cant stand my smartphone anymore, so that rarely gets used. I’m more focused these days on reducing the calamity of overbearing and overburdening electronics.

• End User

Tablet.

• ronch

I can understand people voting for server, but phone, tablet or HTPC?? Lemme guess, those are iPads and iPhones, right?

• albundy

pretty much. yes. but you could have poked more fun at them.

• gerbilspy

Nope, Note 3. Neither my lappie nor my desktop will fit in my pockets.

• TwoEars

Must say I’m a little surprised to see “desktop” dominate to that extent, I guess the techreport attracts a lot of dyed in the wool desktop traditionalists. And I’m the same I must admit, my main rig is pretty sweet and kitted out. But computers and audio and gaming are some of my biggest hobbies, I don’t have a fancy car or big TV or anything like that.

• Krogoth

Desktop system still hold an overwhelming majority in the PC enthusiast arena.

The professional space has a mix of DTR, desktop systems and rackmont servers as platforms of choice.

Mainstream crowd mostly runs on laptops and tablets these days. If they have a desktop then it most likely an aging unit from early to mid 2000s.

• travbrad

Yeah I have a laptop and I like it for what it does, but it’s hard to get excited about as much as my full fledged desktop which has vastly more CPU and GPU performance available, a full keyboard that I can actually type on, and dual displays for much better multi-tasking. Plus there is the fact you can upgrade individual parts as you need them or easily replace broken parts.

The only thing the laptop has going for it is mobility. I don’t really travel for work or anything so mobility in a full PC isn’t that important to me. For most of my uses I either use a phone for mobile computing or a desktop for everything else.

My desktop does sort of double as a part time HTPC when I feel like gaming on the couch and a streaming server too (using serviio to stream to blu-ray players). Eventually I want to build dedicated boxes for that stuff but every time I think about it I just end up upgrading my main PC instead.

• ferdinandh

I find the popularity of laptops surprising. With a desktop you give up mobility and compactness. With a laptop you give up: ergonomics, performance, screen space, input options, sound quality, internet speed, cheap, reliable, lack of trouble like battery usage and storage. With a tablet you have even less than a laptop.
      So I think a lot of people who use their laptop in one place and never take it with them should buy a small pc with a good monitor.

• ET3D

You don’t give up on most of these. You can use a laptop with any display, keyboard, speakers you want. My boss has this setup at work; it gives him the comfort he wants with the ability to take his work with him when he needs to. Plus if the power fails, he can still continue to use it.

So while performance/price is still an issue, as is upgrading, you give up little else when you buy a laptop.

• K-L-Waster

I think this tells you more about the readership here than computing as a whole. (Kind of like going to CamaroRoxx4Eva.com and asking what the best muscle car is…)

• blastdoor

I voted desktop.

After that, smartphone, then tablet.

• TruthSerum

Wrong! The desktablophone will pwn all!

• f0d

what about the HTPconSERVtabLAPdesktoPHONE?

• DataMeister

Didn’t Microsoft demo that recently at the event where where they launched the Surface Book? If they will just name their next phone the DeskTabloPhone, they might have a runaway hit.

• RawrMeansILoveyou

I actually have a decent gaming rig but it’s my laptop that has saved my butt with homework deadlines and other projects when I’m out and about. That’s why I have a special part for it in my heart. It’s actually the reasons why I’m considering buying a decent gaming laptop due to its portability.

• ultima_trev

I consider ARM-based tablets and smart phones to be toys, not computers. Therefore the laptop and desktop are the only contenders. Since I prefer something modular, I’m going to say desktop wins.

• Takeshi7

If I could only have one device it would definitely be my phone. Sorry, gaming PC. You’re just not as portable and utilitarian as a smartphone.

• bhtooefr

If I had to ditch everything but one machine, it’d be the laptop that I’d keep. I don’t love my current laptop (between OS X shenanigans, and Windows being a bit wonky on it), but it’s still a decent all-rounder. And the screen is quite nice.

Yep, that even means giving up the Nexus 5.

Now, I think the ThinkCentre Tiny that I got at Goodwill the other day is freaking adorable, but it can’t game, the MBP Retina can. (If only it had room to cram a Mini-ITX GPU in there, I’d abandon my planned Mini-ITX (with normal-length GPU) build. Please, nobody say “hook it to the Mini-PCIe slot”.)

• thermistor

I can do just about anything on the desktop, include accessing a digital TV tuner that does feed HTPC’s. Though we’ve gotten and iphone and an android device in the household in the last couple months – can see the attraction of those devices. but as the one-and-only, gotta be the tower of power.

don’t need portability a la laptop, and going to the computer room is a good excuse to escape the family for a while.

• hubick

I’m strangely drawn to my NUC.

It’s just so cute, I can’t help it!

I got a Broadwell i3 one, which works pretty well as an HTPC with Kodi. I’m gonna wait till they make a new one with HDMI 2 (still missing from Skylake) and quality UHD/4K support, with an i7 CPU, and then upgrade to that. Maybe drop a nice Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD in there for a smokin fast mini box. πŸ™‚

• bfar

I like all of them, put you can’t beat a desktop (on an actual desk) for comfort.

• Deanjo

I was pretty comfortable on the beach with a few beverages and my MBP.

• Ninjitsu

I suspect you’d be comfortable anywhere with a MBP. πŸ˜›

• C-A_99

Can’t decide between Mini-ITX and Laptop.

• allreadydead

I voted laptop, hoping it includes high-end gaming capable ultrabooks (Razer Blade’ish ones). I dont really need mobility in my daily life but as a consultant, mobile PC is a must for work.

So, I assumed I have ONE pc for work and fun and it had to be a laptop. I’d have voted twice or three times to desktop if it wasn’t for work :\

love my jorts.

• Alexko

I only have a desktop and a feature phone, plus a laptop that actually belongs to my employer, and that I don’t use much. So, desktop, hands down.

• f0d

i could easily go without my phone or laptop or htpc
    if i diddnt have my desktop i would start getting the shakes and withdrawal symptoms

Same. I have about seven PCs in the house for different things (no fewer than three of them are for work, which is kind of weird), but the only one I could not live without is my desktop. πŸ˜€

• f0d

same here
        i have about 6 x86 pc’s (3 desktops, 2 htpcs 1 laptop) 3 tablets and 2 phones and i could give them all up easily for my main workhorse pc

Big thing I guess is that the desktop can do anything that all the stuff I could give up does, outside of phone calls. And I loathe talking on the phone.

• f0d

i hate phone calls also πŸ™‚

most of the time i use the landline instead of my mobile which is why i could go without a smartphone

or i just give them a surprise visit

• alrey

hahaha same here. Most of the calls I received are either from work or from marketing/sales people.

• Milo Burke

I had to Google “jorts”. I think I now have PTSD.

• rhysl

Quantum Computer is not LISTED!!

• morphine

“Other”. Although that option may or may not be there depending on whether you’re observing it.

• the

It is listed and not listed simultaneously.

• Cuhulin

Isn’t that what they mean by desktop? I mean, who uses old fashioned X86 any more? I use my QC to have email delivered instantaneously on pressing send, including 3d objects as attachments, to power my holodeck for a little WoW playing (though I wish the safeties being on were automatic – those Orcs can be a little painful if one isn’t careful – and pretty much everything. Don’t you?

Oh, now I do, too. [url=http://images.rapgenius.com/3f2ddbb15de3945ed46aca34e42f152d.500x364x1.jpg<]Yikes[/url<].

• kuraegomon

Ewwwwwww.

• albundy

enjoy it while you can. it’s all downhill from now on…until you go uphill.