Crytek and Oculus don’t leave VR adopters hanging with The Climb

With Samsung's Gear VR on the market, and Oculus' Rift slated to arrive early in 2016, consumers want to know what games they'll actually be able to play on their shiny new toys. Today, Crytek announced The Climb, a game in which players scale rock faces modeled after beautiful real-world locations. Built for Oculus Rift hardware, The Climb aims to attract a broad audience to virtual reality gaming. Take a look at the trailer:

The Climb will support both the Xbox One controller and Oculus Touch, although the trailer suggests that the game was made especially with the Oculus Touch in mind. The game represents the player as a pair of disembodied hands, so a dual controller interface seems more intuitive. Crytek claims this choice prevents the player's view from being obstructed and make "the movements made in the game feel much more intuitive and natural." This decision puts more emphasis on the environment than the player, and perhaps that's a good thing; Crytek's Cryengine is more than capable of producing gorgeous worlds for players to inhabit.

Crytek promises to reveal more climbing locations and game modes as the game gets closer to release. In the meantime, it's interesting to compare The Climb to EVE Valkyriethe game that Oculus will bundle with Oculus Rift preorders. EVE Valkyrie looks like a thrilling ride, but also an intense one for casual gamers. The Climb, on the other hand, is the sort of simple-concept game that made Nintendo's Wii a surprise hit. The popularity of Oculus Rift specifically, and virtual reality gaming generally, may rely on the fortunes of accessible titles like The Climb.

• Pwnstar

Not very realistic, agreed.

• Meadows

Nothing. They won’t play this.

• bean7

What happens when people start having heart attacks as a result of near-death encounters like 0:29? Especially those with acrophobia?!

• alrey

Exactly! my initial thoughts also.

• CityEater

If its going to run smoothly in Rift it’s going to be somewhat scaled back. When min 90hz average is the threshold something has to give…

• HisDivineOrder

This game reminds me of Jurassic Park.

This is the kind of thing you can get away on spectacle at the advent of a new era in technology. But eventually it’s going to be so old hat, we’ll have explosions and giant robots stomping right in our faces and we’ll shrug and say, “Meh.”

And Michael Bay will double down with dingle-dangling metal balls.

And we will hate him for it while we buy the blu-rays.

• Generic

HD texture is day 1 DLC. [i<]duuhhh[/i<] 😉

• kamikaziechameleon

actually was surprised by some of the low res assets in the trailer.

• sweatshopking

I hope you can pick different arms. We’re not all white guys (though i am)

• TruthSerum

It doesn’t even have to cost, it could be ad funded or bundled as a demonstration app anyway.

Growing their base is where they make their money down the line, not on early title sales.
    I’d make the first 5 games free as in beer.

I’m a rock-climber (well, enough that I wear out my kit every few years).

You can “compete” in rock-climbing but not in the way I approve of when I see that yellow “A” marker flag between 0:31 and 0:38 in the video. That’s just not how rock climbing works….

• Srsly_Bro

Some people just aren’t built to compete.

• Srsly_Bro

How will explosions and gun fire be introduced? Do you climb to save the world from nuclear destruction?

• auxy

Not that anyone played the original Far Cry. ( *´艸`)

• thor84no

Where are the arms?! How is it supposed to be immersive in the slightest when there are no arms? I could barely pay attention to what was going on because of how jarring that was. It looks really cool other than that, I’m just not sure I could easily get over it.

• SecretMaster

I disagree. You could easily make a fun and fulfilling game out of this. 10-15 hours seems about right, plus I’m sure there is tremendous replay potential with VR games.

These are the type of games that will really attract a mass audience to the Oculus Rift as a gaming platform. I hope more developers follow suit.

This could be one of the most amazing sandbox experiences. I hope they don’t ruin it by trying to make it overly competitive.

• DPete27

I don’t see enough content there to make an entire game out of. However, it has merit as a plug-in for other titles (thinking Tomb Raider).

• drfish

Cool! This seems like one of the more compelling VR titles for so far.

I wonder if Crytek will pull another Far Cry with this and beat Valve to the punch like they did in 2004 after Half-Life 2 was delayed.

Share this post with your friends!