Intel completes its acquisition of FPGA maker Altera

Intel recently completed its acquisition of FPGA producer Altera. The transaction began back in June. Intel shelled out a cool $16.7 billion for the company in a cash-and-shares deal.

The FPGA experts will continue to operate as a new Intel unit called the Programmable Solutions Group. Existing Altera products and customers will not be affected by the buyout and will continue to receive support.

Intel believes the purchase will allow it to "enable new classes of products in the high-growth data center and Internet of Things market segments." Among other things, the firm plans to "offer Altera's FPGA products with Intel Xeon processors as highly customized, integrated products." If you've been keeping track, those are the FPGA-enabled Xeons that will reportedly come out next year.

• TopHatKiller

…desperation, desperate:

“we are a desperate company, reaching our feared market-cap saturation: we have no new ideas or products, so let’s go on a spending spree! Buy any little **** or any big **** and pray and hope for the ****** best.” -B.Krzanich at a board meeting .

My quote might well be a total lie. Don’t Sue Me!, I-God-of-All.

• NoOne ButMe

I agree. Also if they just wants to expand sales by integrating FPGA why not just order a custom FPGA or similar?

by the time they can integrate an FPGA onto the same die I think everyone who would use will have a custom ARM core with FPGA.

• TopHatKiller

Of course, that would be logical wouldn’t it? Except, that would violate i-god’s corporate mentality. They don’t like things not designed ‘in-house’ – buying a company outright, though, would satisfy their mentality. Sad, yes, but that’s how these idiots think.
        PS. Saying you agree with me, on anything, is a sure way of getting downvoted egregiously.
        That appears to be just the way things are here….. and….. Have A Great New Year! for you and your family and friends, NoOne!. Yours, TopHatKilller.

• NoOne ButMe

I don’t care about down votes or up votes.

No on has comments showing why it is good. I think they just down vote because they don’t want anyone to say it isn’t good. I think the integration is good, but worth 17 billion? There I get a bit skeptical.

I would love for someone to explain why this is worth the cost versus merely buying FPGAs and using an interposer.

Thanks and you also have a great new year!

• NoOne ButMe

dubious if buying it was needed, but Intel can afford it.

Seems like every company that gets bought by the major, well known, consumer facing semiconductor companies fails, or costs way to much. (SeaMicro failed, Icera failed, ATI cost over 3 billion dollars in now goodwill costs I believe. I think this will be some big goodwill in the future) . Hopefully doesn’t hold true!

• Wirko

They’re on the same die now.

• just brew it!

I prefer “Resistance is futile, you have been assimilated!” myself.

Similar sentiment, different universe.

• chuckula

Retconned J.J. Abrams universe:

“Resistance is futile, LENS FLARE!”

• cygnus1

I vote for that comment to win the internets today

• HisDivineOrder

Lens flare was so LENS FLARE! it was pretty much the only effect Abrams used in the intro sequence for Alias.

He’s been enthralled ever since.

• ronch

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

• chuckula

Intel would like to share this official statement:

Something Something Something [b<]DARK SIDE[/b<]. Something Something Something [b<]COMPLETE[/b<].