Samsung chip helps wearables to better track their wearers’ health

Samsung probably isn't the first name that comes to mind when you think of personal health technology, but the company appears to be making strides in that direction. The firm has unveiled a chip it calls the Bio-Processor, a product it claims is the industry's first all-in-one health solution chip targeted at wearables.

The chip integrates analog front-ends, a microcontroller, power management circuitry, a DSP, and eFlash memory. Among other things, the analog front-ends can analyze bioelectrical impedance, photoplethysmography, and electrocardiography (ECG), as well as skin temperature and galvanic response.

Samsung says the Bio-Processor is about one-fourth the size of comparable solutions. The chip is claimed to let wearables track parameters like skeletal muscle mass, skin temperature, and stress level. Samsung says the Bio-Processor is in mass production now, and it expects products built around this chip to appear in the first half of 2016.

• vargis14

Next thing these bio monitors will penetrate your skin and monitor your blood for alcohol levels or anything else the government sees fit to look for and if you take a cab home and your car is parked close to your house the police will start knocking on doors saying you drove drunk because we clocked you at over 40mph at 2am.

Not a fan of any monitors..our phones are monitors enough. Sure Ill take a bunch of monitors in hospitals when needed but for someone to think they need a electronic device to monitor their health must be a complete moron IMHO…this is what we have brains for. The less we use them the worse they perform.

Next the middle class will have a 1150 Socket surgically implanted in your scalp and the rich get a socket 2011 v3-4 Socket and ram chips will be small enough you will be able to fit 4 in your butcrack…armpit is probably better than you would not have to remove your ram to poodie.

• Krogoth

Time for extra layers of tinfoil……

• Anovoca

You don’t want Samsung to track you

r health?

• ronch

Should’ve been called S3FBP665 😀

• TopHatKiller

what the hell is “photoplethysmography” ? i ain’t never heard of it. and no, i didn’t go to the link, i’m sure it’s all made up. by samsung.
    question: if i [a] wear this nonsense [b] insert it somewhere in my body,
    does it mean i can drink and smoke as much as I like with no health consequence?
    Because if it does! I’m buying it!
    If it doesn’t, I’m not.
    Cheers!

• Srsly_Bro

Getting an early start on drinking for New Years Eve?

• TopHatKiller

Mhm. That would imply that at some point I’d stopped.

• chuckula

Here’s a [url=http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg<] picture of a guy who appears to share your mental condition.[/url<]

• TopHatKiller

Not that attractive, sadly.

• ronch

Ahem. Read the headline again.

• TopHatKiller

…that’s just mean, that is. Happy New Year to you too.

• ronch

Just pointing out the obvious. Is that mean?

• TopHatKiller

Sometimes, it is… ie:
            A really fat guy sits next to you on a bench waiting for a bus.
            You look at him, he looks at you. You say –
            “Jesus! You are one fat ******. You know there are starving people in the world, right? Why don’t you give ’em a break and stop eating their half! Asshole.”
            -That would be mean. True, possibly, but mean.
            Anyway, whatever, your implication was subjective opinion and definitely not universally true. Here’s hoping you have a lovely New Year, surrounded by your loved ones in merriment.
            Kill all grudges, TopHatKiller.

• ronch

You’re putting things out of context too much.

• TopHatKiller

…really? …[huge sigh]…i just produced a metaphorical counter to your post. that’s really all it was. nothing important at all.
            this is the context: if you and i sat in a bar, I’d buy you a pint. [not a whisky mind!]
            It’s now 2016, so… hey! Also this year we get ‘polaris / artic islands’, ‘pascal’ and ‘Zen’.
            Interesting times, to come. Have a good day. TopHatKiller.

• ronch

Samsung’s track record isn’t perfect just like everyone else’s, but I think they’re one of the most amazing tech companies ever. Sony used to be amazing during the Trinitron and Walkman days, but to be at the forefront TODAY is more amazing due to the simple fact that technology today is far more advanced than stuff in the 80’s. I must say I’m becoming a Samsung fan again.

• albundy

Bones? Beverly? any thoughts?

• jurc11

[url=http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif<]Agreed.[/url<]

• albundy

hah! nice.

Not many trekkies here.

• Krogoth

“Dammit, I’m a doctor! Not a biometric chip!”

• TwoEars

Another thing I can stick on our dog and link to facebook? Count me in. My dog + fitbit combo is currently wreaking havoc on the leader-boards. Oh the fun.

• llisandro

that’s awesome!

Last night my Polar M200’s activity tracker dinged to let me know I had hit my step goal for the day- it was triggered by me popping the cap off a Fat Squirrel beer 🙂

• vargis14

Is the low carb light beer from the same company called skinny Squirrel Beer ?
        I just had to ask.

• llisandro

lol, how dare you, sir! 🙂

To save others googlin’, it’s from New Glarus, who don’t distribute outside of WI. It’s a (hazel) nut brown ale.
          [url<]http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beer/fat-squirrel[/url<] I live in IL, so friends who have family in WI, bring it back from time to time, so it's kind of an unexpected treat when I get a sixer. Wife and I are moving to MD soon, so this was likely my last one for a while, so it was extra nice that when I opened it, my Polar m200 was like, remember this, dude. Smartwatch indeed.

• USAFTW

Atb this point I wonder: is there something Samsung doesn’t make?

• TwoEars

Cookies.

• drfish

[url=http://www.samsung.com/us/<]Sure they make them[/url<], they just don't [i<]bake[/i<] them.

• USAFTW

You’d be surprised. It’s a fun place over there at their HQ.

• JustAnEngineer

I’d be willing to bet that Samsung ‘s Everland amusement park and Samsung’s Shilla hotels and resorts make cookies every day.
        [url<]http://www.shilla.net/seoul/dining/viewDining.do?contId=PSBQ#ad-image-0[/url<]

• ronch

They do. Just head over to the Samsung website and I’m sure you’ll get your cookies.

• ronch

Chocolates, shirt buttons… Although those are no doubt made using Samsung’s stuff.

• llisandro