Asus’ ROG GT51 desktop is poised to devour games

Asus is pleased to display its ROG GT51 desktop computer in Vegas this week. The award-winning gaming machine arrives in a menacing red-accented black case sure to inspire Ridley Scott's next movie.

Enthusiasts may have trouble getting their hands on the Intel Core i7-6700K, but Asus apparently has a sufficient supply of those chips to feature one in this system. The GT51 also has room for SLI graphics configurations as powerful as a pair of GeForce Titan X cards. Storage to match those powerful parts includes dual M.2 SSDs configurable in RAID 0. This system is also serious about cooling. The CPU gets a liquid cooler, the chassis features an "internal air tunnel" to keep graphics temps low, and the power supply even has an isolated airflow path of its own.

There's more to the GT51 than brawn, however. The front-panel USB 3.1 Type-C port provides high-speed transfers and quick charging for compatible peripherals. Asus also offers additional functionality with its creative ROG Band, an NFC-enabled rubber wrist wearable that can enable overclocking with a wave. The ROG Band can also activate Shadow Drive, an optional hard drive partition that remains hidden until the ROG Band is nearby. We don't yet know when the GT51 will be available or how much it will cost.

What’s going on with the chewy dog toy embedded in the bottom of the fascia?

• Ninjitsu

I can’t even tell what it is, looks like a fan opening.

• dme123

Is there any reason everything aimed at “gamers” has to have an infantile name or childish and hideous styling like this? OK I’m an old fart at 35 but even when I was in my early 20s the ridiculous names and styling actively put me off products.

Aye, I had grown out of robot toy figurines by the time I was a student.

• ronch

6700K hard to source? Me thinks Intel is still having some trouble with 14nm. And it’s not like everyone’s rushing to buy Skylake, much less the top of the line desktop Core i7 SKU.

• Krogoth

Or rather having issues getting 14nm parts to operate at 6700K grade.

They are having no problems with lesser Skylake parts though.

• ronch

So is 4.0GHz too steep for their 14nm? Intel has complete control of their node and can customize it for their chip designs. I wonder how ‘off the shelf’ 14/16nm nodes from the foundries would be for Zen.

• NTMBK

Intel customized it all right, it’s great for making tablet processors that nobody wants. 4GHz desktops are at the back of the queue.

• ronch

So Intel’s 14nm is in the same boat as off-the-shelf 14/16nm nodes from TSMC and GF?

• Krogoth

Intel has been ultra-conservative on clockspeed and big on reducing power consumption on the desktop segment.

There aren’t too many chips that can handle 4.0Ghz without being a power hog.

• ronch

Eemho, that is one ugly case.

• Visigoth

That’s what mommy said when you were born…

• ronch

Didn’t know your mommy saw me when I was born. Did she see how all the doctors applauded when I came out? And is she blind?
        Didn’t she see that I’m a human baby back then, not a PC case?

• Visigoth

No, you were the placenta that was left behind. When you started barking, people finally noticed you.