Asus unleashes three Republic of Gamers peripherals

Asus has revealed three peripherals in its Republic of Gamers line at CES. The first is the ROG Claymore gaming keyboard. It features Cherry MX RGB mechanical switches, n-key rollover, and macro programming. The keyboard is backlit, and can be synced to ROG motherboards to give users hotkey control over fan speeds, boot up, overclocking, and BIOS access. The most notable feature, however, is the detachable "macro-infused" numpad.

Second on the list is the ROG Spatha gaming mouse. It comes with twelve programmable buttons, including six ergonomic thumb buttons. The switches under the left and right buttons can be swapped out easily depending on the user's preference. By default, the ROG Spatha comes with Omron switches rated for 20 million clicks, or approximately five games of Starcraft II. The mouse can be used in wired or wireless mode, although it has a higher polling rate in wired mode. And yes, it has customizable lighting effects.

Last up is the ROG XG Station 2, the second generation of Asus's external graphics docking station. The ROG XG Station 2 allows users to tap into the power of a desktop graphics card for their Asus laptops. Asus's announcement is a little shy on details, but we know that the docking station charges the laptop and can be unplugged without restarting the laptop. We're unsure about type of connection is used between the laptop and the station, although similar products have used a Thunderbolt connection.

• ronch

And the people of the Republic rejoiced. And all is well.

• TruthSerum

Who has a busy enough personal style to make this work though? I feel lame!

• Khali

Why are all these companies competing to see who can release the ugliest computer items? Are that many teenagers with no taste that actually buy all this blingy stuff?

• ImSpartacus

There really are a lot of youngsters that enjoy that kind of stuff, though. I’m amazed at how many people enjoy the programmable coloring of basically every peripheral today.

Me? I’m just tickled that such customizability allows me to turn off the lights in my deathadder chroma to cleanly hide that gaudy snake symbol. So in a way, there are fringe benefits to this movement!

• Sabresiberian

I’m 60 years old and have a Corsair K95 RGB. “Bad taste” isn’t limited to any particular age bracket. =D

Seriously though, I’m a bad typist. Back in my school days typing class was an option that not very many kids took. What that means is I have to glance at my keyboard on occasion, and having different colors for keys helps me know which one I’m going to hit a bit faster (while gaming). So, yeah, I get that per-key assignments with RGB choices isn’t going to be everyone’s proverbial cup of tea, but many people find it aesthetically pleasing and some of us even find it useful.

• deruberhanyok

That mouse is a hot mess. I feel like I’m looking at a non-euclidean geometric mishmash of shapes.

I want one.

• thedosbox

That keyboard also looks horrific, even by the garish standards set by other gaming peripherals.

• Mr Bill

What a deal! They sell you a tenkeyless and then the ten keys!

• thesmileman

“By default, the ROG Spatha comes with Omron switches rated for 20 million clicks, or approximately five games of Starcraft II. ”

That made me laugh really hard.

• DrCR

Indeed. I’m glad to see TR wit still alive and well.

• TwoEars

That keyboard is what I would imagine a keyboard would look like if Deus Ex took place in the 70’s. Trippy.