EVGA SC 17G gaming laptop gives enthusiasts full control

CES – EVGA gave us a look at its upcoming SC 17G gaming laptop today. This 17" machine is hewn entirely from aluminum, and both the case and keyboard feel rock-solid. EVGA puts a 4K IPS panel under the lid. G-Sync will be available as an option.

That solid metal exterior houses an unlocked Core i7-6820HK Skylake CPU and a GTX 980M graphics card, paired with 32GB of memory, a 1TB mechanical hard drive, and 256GB of PCIe 3.0 storage. To make wringing the most out of those unlocked parts easier, EVGA includes a full EFI interface similar to its desktop motherboards. A deeply recessed clear-CMOS button sits above the power button in case an overclocking effort should fail. Expect to see the SC 17G in EVGA's online store in February with broader availability to follow.

• ImSpartacus

This seems like an unbalanced machine.
    [list<] [*<]I would've greatly preferred a cheap 1TB SSD (or at least 512GB) versus a cramped 256GB PCIe SSD and a 1TB HDD. I'm not spending a mint on a laptop only to load my games from an HDD. [/*<][*<]To save money for that storage change, drop to 16GB of RAM. 32GB is getting a little silly for a machine with these kinds of limitations. [/*<][*<]Furthermore, you can save money and go for a cheaper 45W Skylake quadcore. An 6440HQ wouldn't've been basically just as good for just a little less $$$. [list<] [/*<][*<]And if this means losing overclocking, then you can put that implicit cooling headroom towards the GPU instead (that's where you need it!). [/*<][/list<] [*<]This machine needs a 980 for 4K gaming, not a 980m (basically a 970). [list<] [/*<][*<]And if you're not going to game at 4K, then why can't they use a cheaper less-dense display? 1440p would be better (but you still want a 980). [/*<][/list<] [/list<]

• chµck

A recessed keyboard to prevent screen smudges.
    I like that.

• UnfriendlyFire

And meanwhile my laptop’s BIOS is so locked down that you can only upgrade the BIOS. No downgrades or reflashes.

There was one time that I upgraded to a BIOS version that caused Windows 7 to be unstable, and I had to mail the laptop back to the OEM for their warranty repair to downgrade the BIOS.

• bill94el

How long before we see this kind of power in something you carry in your pocket or wear on your wrist (less the monitor and keyboard)? Then all you would do is plug it into any monitor or TV to interact or it reacts wirelessly to other periphs. That thing’s packing a wallop. “Micro desktops” can’t be that far off. I mean seriously, take a look at what’s in this 17″ laptop.

The keyboard/mouse would have to be addressed. Maybe some kind of “Minority Report” interaction with the monitor would overcome that. Even some of that is being implemented with the Wii and Kinect or even VR. …sorry, just thinking out loud (online). You have my permission to tell me I’m nuts.

• oldog

Um, Microsoft Continuum for instance?

• bill94el

I guess that’s a start, but what I really mean is something capable of gaming at 1920×1080 or even 4k by today’s standards.

edit: tbh, I live under a rock and wasn’t aware of this project. Thanks

• NoOne ButMe

My only gripe with this new wave of high end, nice laptops, is I wish they started at 970m because that could let people save $200 and get almost as much speed.

But that is a very minor gripe for what looks to be a wave of very good laptops!

• Tatsh

Is that really the power supply?

Also how hot does this thing get?

What is the warranty like if you overclock and the machine never POSTs again?

• RoxasForTheWin

If I ever get a gaming laptop (heaven forbid) I’d want it from Evga for their amazing customer support.

• BIF

Their customer support is indeed very good. Their cross-shipping is slow (can take up to 10 days to get a warranty replacement to my door), but support is among the best.

• Welch

Call me picky but with a laptop like this.. why even include a 1TB HDD? 256GB isn’t enough for installing your OS, games and other applications… believe me I tried and I don’t keep my entire library installed all of the time (just games I’m actively playing). Swap that sucker out for a 1TB SSD only and give people the option to put in their own secondary drive.

Price be damned, if you can include that CPU and GPU in that case with 32GB of RAM your customer doesn’t care about cost.

• Kretschmer

Or use the HDD space for a larger battery. Desktop replacements prefer to be plugged in, but no one has ever scoffed at more battery life.

I agree that skimping on the SSD is silly for a flagship machine.

• dragontamer5788

Maybe. But on the other hand, the SSD price market is much less steady. SSD prices may plummet once again this year, or go up 10% or 20% depending on inventory and demand. HDD prices (aside from that major flood a few years ago) basically don’t change.

Its probably to the advantage of the consumer if the HDD remains swappable. A gamer will typically have the know-how for switching out to a SSD at whatever the best prices will be. While the manufacturer will have to lock in prices now.

I mean, its probably why Dell laptops have like $500 SSD options. Manufacturers are basically forced to lock in prices for a particular build as they source parts. The volatile SSD market that we consumers benefit from isn’t a big benefit to the OEMs.

• NoOne ButMe

also SSDs are the thing all sites recommend. And it’s an easy way to jack up margins. I also doubt what you say about prices as most boutiques manage to offer pretty competitive pricing on SSDs. If Avadirect, iBuypower, XoticPC, and these type. Dell, HP, Lenovo. They could get better bricing than those companies I think.

• adampk17

Because a 1 TB PCIe SSD doesn’t exist yet?

• NoOne ButMe

1TB SSD on Sata would be a better overall picture still. I think only laptops aimed as workstation (Xeon, professional GPU) should go for PCIe SSD given the limitations.

• adampk17

Are you referring to heat?

• NoOne ButMe

I am referring to having a larger SSD. There is no real need for the transfer speeds for the majority of people who would be buying a gaming laptop. Is it nice? Yes. Is it worth the added cost and cut to capacity? I don’t think so.

All I can say is my 1TB SSD using Sata feels super fast. I don’t think a PCIe drive would change anything in day to day operation or in gaming. If anyone minds sending me one of these so I can compare I will be happy to however! 😉

• BlackDove

They have for a while actually.

• adampk17

Where?

• the

The reason we don’t see 1 TB PCIe SSD is only due to manufacturers not wanting to use both sides of a M.2 card for the flash memory. Many of the ultra thin laptops only have the vertical height to have chips on one side. Considering the small niche that PCIe storage has today in the market, manufacturers don’t want to further limit potential buyers.

One compromise I’d like to see is more traditional laptops move to U.2 based 2.5″ drives. With an adapter, it would be possible to accept both standard SATA or a PCI based U.2 drives. That would be an acceptable compromise between storage capacity or speed for most users.

• adampk17

Thanks for the heads up on the reason. It makes sense.

• eofpi

The article is vague. PCIe exists up to [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2BN-0006-00017<]3.2TB on Newegg[/url<], but M.2, which the laptop presumably uses, [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100011693%20600488413%20600038491<]only goes up to 512GB there[/url<].

• Mr Bill

No, for that CPU, its probably the HM170 chipset and the MSI laptop gaming boards have a single PCI-Express 16X slot instead of several M.2 X4 slots. I’m basing that opinion on what motherboards MSI uses for their Gaming laptops. I was talking to a sales guy at XoticPC the other day and he said the choice for the new i7-6700HQ and higher laptops was to go with a single PCI-Express 16X slot rather than several M.2 X4 slots was a matter of having only so many PCIe lanes available and the PCI-Express 16X slot needs 4 time the lines.
          Edited for clarity
          I may be messing this up due to misunderstanding the difference because I can’t find an example of a PCIe 16X SSD for a laptop. Maybe someone else can?
          [url=http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-100-series-chipsets,29993.html<]short HM170 chipset article[/url<] [url=http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/<]Understanding M.2, the interface that will speed up your next SSD[/url<]

• eofpi

Nothing says it’s an x16 slot for the SSD. Also, all the Skylake chipsets (except H110) have PCIe 3.0 lanes coming off the chipset as well, so the SSD could very well connect to that.

• Mr Bill

Yes, its ambiguous just what can go into the expansion slot for the MSI skylake laptops.

• Mr Bill

I guess it is an M.2 slot after all…
            [url=http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/hm170-qm170-chipset.html<]Intel Mobile HM170 chipset[/url<] Its a PCIe Gen3 M.2 X1, X2, or X4 slot. And the older Broadwell CPUs with the HM187 chipset have PCIe Gen2 M.2 X1, X2, or X4 slots. [url=http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm87.html<]Intel Mobile HM87 chipset[/url<]

• Mr Bill

$372 for a [url=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-Solid-MZVPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWR4M2/<]Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s x4 Solid state drive SSD (2280), NVME ( MZVPV512HDGL-00000)[/url<] [quote<]Tech Report: [url=https://techreport.com/review/28446/samsung-sm951-pcie-ssd-reviewed<]Samsung's SM951 PCIe SSD reviewed[/url<][/quote<] versus $329 for a [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01639694M<]Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW[/url<] [quote<]Tech Report: [url=https://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed<]Samsung's 950 Pro 512GB SSD reviewed[/url<][/quote<] versus $423 for a [url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LF10KTO/<]Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)[/url<]

• DPete27

Before these stupid game installs jumped up to 25GB+ I had my OS/Programs on a 120GB SSD with about 45GB to spare. Back then (which sadly wasn’t very long ago..thanks a lot Titanfall) I could fit 3-4 games in the remaining space.