Windows 10 upgrade notifications can be disabled with a registry edit

Since July, Microsoft has offered Windows 10 as an optional free upgrade for many users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. As we let you know last October, the Windows 10 upgrade will soon become a "recommended update," meaning that the install files for the new OS will automatically download for anyone using the default Windows Update settings. However, users who've decided to stick it out with their older Windows versions do have some options for blocking the upgrade and suppressing the offer notifications.

According to Microsoft, the Windows 10 upgrade can be blocked in several ways. First, Microsoft has released updates that install a new Group Policy Object. Computers with this update "will never detect, download, or install and upgrade to the latest version of Windows." Second, users can block the upgrade by adjusting a setting in "Computer Configuration." Finally, the upgrade can be blocked by modifying the registry. Microsoft's website provides detailed instructions for each of these methods.

If all you're interested in is suppressing the notifications about the Windows 10 upgrade, you'll need to work with the registry. Once again, all the details are on Microsoft's support site. It is important to note that these concerns don't apply to every computer. The Windows 10 upgrade is automatically blocked for computers running enterprise versions of Windows, computers joined to a domain, or computers managed through MDM.

• just brew it!

Looks like Microsoft is backtracking on the registry hack. Or the marketing people and the tech support people aren’t talking to each other.

[url<]http://www.infoworld.com/article/3020460/microsoft-windows/banishing-get-windows-10-nagware-isnt-as-easy-as-you-think.html[/url<]

• kvndoom

I was bummed that I couldn’t upgrade my old Dell M2010 “super laptop” to Windows 10 because of a lack of video drivers. It was going to be my test platform before I migrated any other computers.

Of course the notifications still pop up to upgrade, even though it won’t let me. Good that it can be disabled.

• slaimus

My even older Dell was able to upgrade to Windows 10. You need the ATI Catalyst 10.2 for Vista driver. Just install it in Vista compatibility mode.

• Suspenders

I’ve just switched to doing updates manually, and making sure the Win 10 related ones never get installed. You can hide the ones associated with windows 10 so you never see them again when you search for new updates. We’ll see how long that will work I guess!

If you’ve already installed the Windows 10 nagware, you can remove them by following the instructions here [url<]http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/[/url<] (This is a great guide!) The list I used was: KB3035583 KB2952664 KB2976978 * (win 8.1 only) KB3021917 KB3044374* (win 8.1 only) KB2990214 KB3068708 KB3022345 (superceded by KB3080149) KB3080149 ("update" for diagnostic telemetry) KB3075249 (more telemtry) Finally, FU Microsoft and your sh*tty trash nagging updates.

• eofpi

Now if only manual update mode didn’t like randomly eating a hwthread at high priority. Or is that just Windows Update in general these days?

• BlackDove

Theres been a thread on this for months.

[url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116439[/url<] And yes they made Windows update as slow as possible for older Windows. Ive hardened the operating system as much as possible and ignore anything thats not a security update.

• eofpi

Thanks for the link. I don’t venture into the forums very much.

Rather than chasing down all the updates I shouldn’t let Microsoft give me, I’ve taken the dubious step of turning off windows update entirely on my personal machines. When and if I update, or even check for updates, will be on my terms, not Microsoft’s.

• Welch

Not to sound like a D-Bag or anything but….. you guys a bit late to the party with this. I’ve had a script to disable the registry for the Windows 10 nag… ummm… Window, for quite some time. It has been posted in many forms on multiple sites.

• VincentHanna

Downloading regedit scripts from the internet.

Excellent plan.

• Waco

When you can read them and ensure they’re safe…why worry?

• kuttan

From my experience blocking the malware update named KB3035583 (Get Windows 10 App) is enough to prevent Windows 10 auto download through windows update. Other spy/windows 10 upgrade related updates like KB2952664, KB3068708 can be blocked too.

Correct terminology.

• egon

KB3035583 reinstalled itself despite being uninstalled and hidden on my relatives’ Windows 7 PCs (Windows Update set to auto). On my own Windows 7 and 8.1 systems, which have Windows Update on manual, it’s also ‘randomly’ reappeared in the updates list on several occasions after being hidden, though hasn’t done so lately.

• TruthSerum

Interestingly the 2 registry keys described to set in HKLM to prevent Windows 10 is actually throwing up an instant error when I try to do ANY Windows update check.

I just deleted the registry keys back out and Wupdate works as normal.

Is this behavior unique or are these reg ‘fixes’ to avoid the Windows 10 upgrade going to stop other legit windows updates?

• Wirko

What happens if I start the install but then decline the EULA? Will Windows take note and stop trying?

• jstern

That Windows 10 upgrade notification has made me consider other operating systems. It’s just so WTF, that they don’t give the option to just simply decline the offer. And now after so many months they’re acknowledging it with steps that not everyone is going to do. It’s straight out strong arming.

Edit: I even blocked the updates that are responsible for the notifications/offer, and everything was nice. But then it came back. Someone really, really wants everyone to upgrade. Like with IE.

• Deanjo

Of course it would be too hard for MS to make a simple opt out for everyone. This is bordering on just straight bullying and antitrust by making it as unfriendly as possible to not upgrade to MS’s all seeing eye OS.

• TruthSerum

That’s the point. If they did ACTUALLY make it easily opted-out, nobody could complain!

• Godel

BTW, here’s a post from a commenter on Bruce Schneier’s blog on killing Cortana.

Not Tested.

[url<]https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/12/friday_squid_bl_507.html#c6713899[/url<]

• DrDominodog51

I’m testing it now on a VM.

Edit: And all of my Linux VMs were refusing to mount the Windows VM harddisk. I’m not sure if it works.

• TopHatKiller

goodlord, you have to be kidding? Why?

• Aquilino

“Other than a 5-10% increase in speed, I see no issues with doing the removal.”
      LOL

Anyway, too much hassle: [url<]http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/[/url<] With this the Cortana app/process won't return.

• BobbinThreadbare

I removed the Xbox app using this method and it came back after the first point upgrade. So I’d expect Cortana to come back as well have to be removed again.

• LauRoman

I just want to delay it to the end of April.

April 2086.

• riviera74

Does anyone know how to disable upgrading a PC to Windows 10 that is NOT part of a domain or without Group Policy? I have a Windows 8.1 HP notebook, and Microsoft seems bent on upgrading it to W10 without my consent or permission.

• TruthSerum

You need to go in and “hide” the updates in windows update control panel.

Basically you need to read every single update you ever install from MS, since recently.
      They’re sneaking telemetry stuff in where they can and it’s of zero use to users.

• smilingcrow

Read the above!

• Dieter

Hiding the update never worked for me — it always came back and often selected it as the default action when you click install updates. I’ve successfully blocked it with the GWX control panel on Windows 7 (home & pro) and Windows 8.1 (pro).

[url<]http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/[/url<] I used the standalone version. Quick, simple, and it worked.

• brothergc

just being currious I enabled this in Group policy ( running win 7 pro) as per the instructions , then unchecked all the windows 10 updates that I had hidden .
    Ran windows update then carefully checked out what was trying to be installed . All the updates for windows 10 telemetry would have been installed had I not been carefull .
    I call this a fail and say be sure to check out each and EVERY update windows wants to install

Yep.

• localhostrulez

It’s not about the telemetry – my guess is that all the updates are installed, but enabling this policy/regedit tells it to shut up about Windows 10 upgrades/GWX (which already happens by default on a domain). Which helps, at the least.

• brothergc

thanks for the reply 🙂
        But what I did see in some of the updates that I had previously disabled were directly related to upgrading to windows 10 .

2 of the updates had the words “windows 10 ” and “telemetry ” in the discription of what they were .
        So respectfuly have to say that telemetry has a lot to do with the upgrade to win 10. AND I don’t want MS snooping on MY machine that I paid for

• VincentHanna

Yes, your PC has to be fully updated before you install windows 10, making several gross updates “required” for windows 10 (none of which are “required” otherwise). However, no. This is not going to read your mind and guess which updates you consider to be unwelcome. That’s all on you.

• VincentHanna

Probably because the TELEMETRY updates aren’t part of windows 10, and have nothing to do with windows 10.

• DrCR

Does anyone here disable Win7 auto-updates and use something like AutoPatcher instead?

Just curious. Outside of the enterprise environment, I have not used WinOS as a primary OS for quite some time.

• auxy

I disable Windows 10 auto-updates and use Portable Update. (´・ω・`)

• TruthSerum

I wouldn’t call them “that detailed” really.

Windows 7, I don’t have that registry key for example.

• Voldenuit

you can’t create the registry entry that you’re missing?

• TruthSerum

Of course I could do that, I know how to, but the “detailed instructions” don’t cover that contingency and it’s not like I’m some rare outlying version, this is Win 7 64 pro.

So much for “detail”

• TruthSerum

Also, there’s no “policies” in gpedit for me between ‘computer config’ and ‘admin templates.’

It also doesn’t tell the noobs how to even launch the gp editor.

Do they expect this to be novice-friendly? Or are only power users allowed to NOT upgrade?

• KeillRandor

They don’t care about the consumer market here – they want that on Windows 10 by hook or by crook – this is only aimed at business/enterprise users and their sysadmins…

• sweatshopking

Qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqaaaaqqqaaaaqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

• TruthSerum

Check yourself fool! This is a problem for people other than me.

• sweatshopking

BEFORE I WRECK MYSELF AMIRITE

• TruthSerum

It’s just your watertight hull vs my rocks. You decide.

• sweatshopking

OH SNAP. YOU DA MAN

• kuttan

What happened ? you Q key get stuck ??

• Deanjo

IIRC gpedit is only on Pro+ editions as well.

• TruthSerum

I’m not sure about that. I think you can install the group policy editor as a package.

[url<]https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738858%28v=ws.10%29.aspx[/url<]

• VincentHanna

Imo, yes. Only power users ought to be able to use old, out-of-date, security addled OSs…

Everyone else should use 10, because its secure. Whether you like the UI or not is irrelevant.

• TruthSerum

You seem to think brand new Windows versions have no vulns. Secure, ha. Good one!

“Whether you like the UI or not is irrelevant.” No, it’s not. It’s a valid user concern.
            Though it’s not my particular gripe and not the biggest one I see.

The fact that M$ is tracking user data in 10 and makes it almost impossible to shut ALL of it off,
            that’s to me an omen of a security model to which I don’t feel a need to opt in.

I’m glad they make you FEEL secure, I guess that’s something?

• VincentHanna

[quote<]You seem to think brand new Windows versions have no vulns.[/quote<] I think that comparing windows 10 to windows 7, is like comparing 7 to XP on a security front. Maybe it's not vulnerability free, but it's vulnerabilities aren't well known and in the wild, and many of the security enhancements make the former iteration look ancient by comparison. #argument from ignorance

• TruthSerum

“I think that comparing windows 10 to windows 7, is like comparing 7 to XP on a security front. ”

Based on what? You think Windows 7 has significant vulns that 10 doesn’t have, that are just sitting out there unpatched and random Win 7 users are getting pwned as a result?

That’s going to require some basis to state like that. Do you have a basis for that?

#hastag whatever, but don’t #make stuff up.

• BlackDove

Windows 10 has a lot more attack surface than 7 and Microsoft is just trying to scare people into using their probably government spyware operating system.