AMD Radeon Crimson 16.1 drivers come with a ton ‘o fixes

AMD has released version 16.1 of its Radeon Software Crimson Edition drivers, and it's easy to see that its software engineers have been on a bug-hunting spree. The new release has fixes for a number of game titles and FreeSync-related problems.

The new drivers fix a number of stutter and crash-related bugs in Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Dirt Rally, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. The Frame Rate Target Control feature now works a little more consistently, and FreeSync flickering with some displays has been fixed, too. Last but not least, AMD sorted out a few problems with the drivers' installation process.

The newest Radeon Crimson drivers can be downloaded here.

• TopHatKiller

just did that … at one stage i was told that 104% of the installer had downloaded. uhm. is this the sort of mathematics AMD uses to pretend it isn’t totally bankrupt? – when we know, obviously – according to all the rumour, it totally is and has been for the last five years?

• TheMonkeyKing

Is it just me but does the video demo switch itself on at random times? That’s the red bar dividing videos showing you unchanged and whatever style you picked before.

7950 GPU

• maxxcool

. delete

• tipoo

Are Firepro drivers on a lag, or is the update just not up for automatic distribution yet? Or both? I forced a manual driver check and it says it’s up to date on 15.30, have a Firepro M5100.

• UnfriendlyFire

Crashes caused by new driver releases:

Consumers and gamers: “This sucks”

Mission critical, movie editing and other enterprise uses: “**** this vendor!”

• tipoo

Just put my workstation class GPU on a pre-alpha driver damn it! 😛

• UnfriendlyFire

“We just compiled it 30 minutes ago!”

• tipoo

“Then what were you doing for 29 minutes, Jenkins? You’re fired!”

• UnfriendlyFire

Uploading it through slow internet connection because we couldn’t afford Comcast’s rates?

• anotherengineer

Had a lot of grief from nvidia notebook solutions with Autocad also. Then again maybe it was Autocad lol

• TruthSerum

LTS = Firepro. You don’t need whizbang profiles for crossfire in new games.

• tipoo

I just got the 16.1 upgrade notification 😛

More for fixes than whizbang profiles.

• tipoo

Based Wasson has been at it for days and already there are 55* Crimson fixes!

(*eyeballed because ain’t nobody got time fo dat)

• lycium

His surname isn’t “Watson”.

• tipoo

I blame autocorrect *shifty eyes*

• TruthSerum

There’s no autocorrect for sh!tty eyes.. *ducks*

• orik

can we get some inside the second tests of Crimson drivers vs Geforce drivers in cpu limited situations? would love to see how much lower the driver overhead is now.

• tipoo

And of the shader caching vs Nvidias for game load times over repeat tests.

• orik

now that’s an idea!

lease me the hardware and i’d be happy to do the testing 🙂

• odizzido

Some good stuff going on with AMD recently. Hopefully that says something about their 14nm GPUs and zen.

• brucethemoose

Despite 3 attempted clean installs (1 straight upgrade, 1 cleaning with the official AMD utility, 1 cleaning with DDU), my 7950’s memory won’t downclock at idle with these drivers.

I’ve seen other Tahiti users report the same thing. Not sure about other GPUs.

Not a big deal really… I’m sticking with these drivers for now. But if you’re running with a high VRAM overvolt, it’s something to keep in mind.

• biffzinker

Just checked in GPU-Z the memory clock is idling at 150 MHz with the 16.1 drivers for me (R9 280.)

• brucethemoose

Is your memory overclocked?

Mine’s at 1500Mhz, and annoyingly I can’t reset it without fiddling with the registry because the Radeon Settings UI is bugged :/

• biffzinker

Running the GDDR5 (Hynix brand) on mine at 1725 MHz using Sapphire Trixx, and appear to be no issues with Radeon Settings UI for me. Here’s the card if your curious [url=http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2845/sapphire-dual-x-r9-280-oc-with-boost.html<]Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 OC with Boost[/url<]

• brucethemoose

This one’s mine:

[url<]http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-731.shtml[/url<] Meh, it might not be related to the new drivers then.

• Pitabred

Same here. I had to do a complete uninstall of Crimson and reinstall to take the memory overclock off my Crossfire 280X’s. It eats a ton of power if it’s running at full clocks all the time, and any overclock seems to completely disable the downclocking during normal desktop use. At least core overclocking doesn’t seem to have the same issue.

• kuttan

I had 7950 Vapor-X no issues with the driver.

• TwistedKestrel

I did a regular in-place driver upgrade and it worked without issue for me. Using a 7950 with memory overclocked to 1465 (cooling’s not so hot on my XFX :P), confirmed that memory downclocks to 150 @ idle

• xeridea

I can confirm a fix with the installation process. I was having issues initially installing, and then updating before. The installer would stop responding partway through. Just updated, it worked just fine.

• sweatshopking

Since most recent JC3 patch mine won’t start. gets to the loading screen post login and then just crashes to desktop. no idea why, but it’s annoying the crap out of me.

• brucethemoose

That happened before I even upgraded. Never could figure out why, I just backed up my save, deleted it and re-downloaded it.

JC3 is a finicky game. I blame Denuvo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Sargent Duck

I think Scott arrived at AMD with a whip and just started cracking down.

• morphine

From what we gather, the individual lashes are being delivered at an exact pace of one every 16.7 seconds.

• Forge

Flog time linearity is very important to the user experience.

• Duct Tape Dude

These fixes are arriving pretty rapidly. Despite the initial bugs, something different and good is going on at AMD for them to release new drivers so quickly (thank you, Scott!).

• DancinJack

Yeah, this one is labeled as a hotfix so we shouldn’t be terribly surprised it was so quickly released after the last one. Come on WHQL!!!

• UnfriendlyFire

I’ve had WHQL certified drivers troll me before. For example, Intel’s latest GPU drivers (starting from October or November of 2015) are incompatible with AMD’s latest GPU drivers.

When I install the Intel and then the AMD driver, BOTH drivers disappear from Windows and the OS no longer recognizes either Intel or AMD GPUs, forcing it to use the default Windows GPU driver.

So I’m stuck on an old Intel GPU driver for now.

• BobbinThreadbare

With current WHQL drivers, my Geforce 9600 GT randomly crashes and causes bluescreens in Windows 10.

Yes, I know it’s ancient, but Nvidia claims it’s still supported.

• Concupiscence

That’s not normal… Have you tried rolling them back to a previous version? The 9600GT’s old enough that it may be succumbing to the same leadless solder plague affecting so many Tesla-age GPUs.

• BobbinThreadbare

It was working fine with 8.1, troubles with Win10.

I lived with it for a few weeks and then ended up upgrading the GPU in my main machine and moved my 7850 into that machine (it needed the upgrade anyways).

• Klimax

Doesn’t sound right. I don’t recall any such with my test PC (Core 2 and W7 and W10)

• Concupiscence

Gah, sad to hear about that problem. It probably sounds unseemly and cynical, but there’s a reason I usually wait at least a full year for the wrinkles to get ironed out of a new version of Windows. That said, the 7850 should stomp the 9600GT flat, so good on you.

Incidentally, if you want to sell the 9600GT, I may be interested.

• BobbinThreadbare

I like to live on the bleeding edge. The new stuff is worth a few blue screens here and there 🙂

I was planning on holding onto the 9600GT as an emergency backup in case something fails, looking at prices on Ebay, I don’t think it’s really worth $25 to me to get rid of it.

• Concupiscence

Fair enough! Good luck with all of it!