OnePlus X and OnePlus 2 can now be purchased without an invite

When OnePlus released its first phone back in 2014, it pulled off an interesting publicity stunt. Buyers could only order its One phone if they obtained an invitation first. OnePlus is finished with this invite system for the moment, and it's come up with a clever new idea to replace it: send the company money, and it'll send you a phone back.

OnePlus 2

To the company's credit, the invite tactic drummed up some free publicity and made the phone sound like an exclusive piece of hardware, sometimes drawing Apple-esque street queues at stores. That system got old pretty quick, though. During subsequent sales of the One phone and its successor, the OnePlus 2, the overall reaction to the order-by-invite method was more "again? Come on!" than "heh, that's cute." The prospect of needing a password, a secret handshake, and a decoder ring to offer some dollars to a company in exchange for a smartphone didn't have the same pizzazz as it did before.

• ronch

Are Oneplus phones still great value for money compared to more prominent brands? I just saw the Lenovo Vibe K4 Note and I reckon it offers about as much phone for the money (8-core A53 SOC). Perhaps Oneplus is great compared to Sony or Apple but I reckon the Android market has so many players that it’s not hard to find a good brand that can rival Oneplus’s bang for the buck. Guess Oneplus has also realized this and knew the invite system would only limit their sales in a sea of competitors that are also cool with thin margins.

• willmore

That Lenovo has a MediaTek SoC in it. Sure, it’s octa-core, but they’re eight slow (1.3GHz) A53s. If you had a use for it that was better threaded even than PC applications, you might be able to get some performance out of it, but, since UI performance generally tracks with single core performance, I would avoid that phone strongly.

Edit: Also: [url<]http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/16/02/01/1517237/exploitable-backhole-accidentally-left-in-some-mediatek-based-phones[/url<]

• Kretschmer

Android phones often come down o software as much as hardware. The OnePlus One was amazing hardware for the money with decent software. OnePlus Two looks like a downgrade on many fronts.

• LoneWolf15

Can these phones be used on CDMA (e.g., Verizon?)

If memory serves, they are GSM-only. That would kill it for me if true; I’ve resolved only to buy phones that are compatible with all the major US carriers; a phone has to support them all in a single model.

It’s why I bought a slightly used Nexus 6 in December as my off-duty phone.

• ronch

I’m the kind of guy who loves getting things for less, and who isn’t, but to say paying $250 for what could be a $500 phone from Sony and Apple is really great value for money is a bit incomplete in its context. It’s like, hey, I paid only $35,000 for this Hyundai but it is practically a $70,000 Mercedes. Well, yes and no. Hyundai is still Hyundai and Mercedes is still Mercedes. Of course cars are more accepted status symbols than phones but the logic here is the same. That extra you paid will get you the intangibles.

• ikjadoon

Yeah, I enjoy using my Android phone as a status symbol….

• ronch

In America or other wealthy nations where everyone has an iPhone or S6, yes it’s no longer a status symbol. But not everyone is living in a wealthy country, you know. There are many countries where only wealthy people can afford an iPhone without borrowing money.

• MaxTheLimit

A $70k Merc will utilize components that cost more, and have build standards far above the $35K Hyundai. Higher quality plastics, more advanced features and such.

If that were going on, I’d agree. However, the situation seems ( to me mind you ) to be more akin to the Toyota IQ, and the Aston Martin Cygnet. Both being the same car with different badges, but one being vastly more expensive. The features and actual car are almost exactly the same, but because of the badge the price is vastly different.

I’d argue that to find the same specs on a top tier brand, you’d still have to pay much more. Even though the components, OS, and features are comparable. The differences often coming down to preference rather than definitive quality improvements. Maybe there are some intangibles, but how much do intangibles impact day to day use? How much are they worth to you? I guess that’s what it comes down to for a lot of people.

• ronch

Specs are one thing, but what about durability? And the quality of their software? I’m bringing this up because my experience with my own Asus phone leads me to believe their apps (the ones Asus provides) are quite buggy. I reckon Asus isn’t alone and code quality differs from company to company. Anyone can slap a phone together (heck, Mediatek will do it for you) but not everyone can write robust code.

• Gyromancer

I have both the ZenFone 2 and a Oneplus One, I prefer the OPO in pretty much every respect because I can’t stand all the crapware on the ZenFone. The OPO, on the other hand is pretty much a pure android experience with a few extra goodies.

• albundy

is that the self proclaimed flagship killer that couldn’t even deliver a quarter of the features of the flagships? ROFL! how can you not laugh at them as hard as I do?

• ronch

Kinda glad they are more open to doing things the old way. The invite system probably made them look rather silly and mostly just kept them living in their own little world.

• Laykun

No NFC? No thanks. Been using NFC payments through my banks Android App for the last couple of months and it’s absolutely great. I had a friend looking to buy one of these but the invite system was so obnoxious that it drove him away and he just got a nexus 6p instead, they really goofed up with the invite system.

• davidbowser

I’m really looking for Android Wallet and Apple Pay to hit the web-based purchasing in a bigger way. They both offer a payment method that is more secure than either swiping credit cards in a store or typing you card into a form field on a website.

Having something like that with two (or three) factor auth for online shopping on my desktop would be awesome. After my wife had her one of her credit cards re-issued for the 3rd time last year, I have started to use Paypal again instead of direct credit card transactions.

• tsk

Now that I can get it, I don’t want it.

• willmore

See, derFunkenstein? See?

Fair point. You only want what you can’t have.

• ronch

No, the addage is more like “Don’t want what you can’t have.” I bet OnePlus recently came across that little bit of wisdom and wised up. Heh.

So now that you can have it, you can want it too. πŸ™‚

If that were true, the thread would be full of people clamoring for this previously-undesirable phone. Only part of that sentence is accurate, though.

• ronch

You can want it now. You don’t have to, but you can.

This “Buy” button thing (if that is indeed what we want to call it) has a chance to revolutionize online shopping as we know it.

• willmore

Meh, there’s no way it’ll catch on. People like silly promotions. They make life interesting. What’s the fun in just giving money to someone for a good/service. Seriously, the crazy things people propose…..</s>

• BobbinThreadbare

If you don’t have to wait outside in cold weather for at least 6 hours, how can the thing you’re buying be worth it???

• willmore

Exactly!

• Kretschmer

The OnePlus One 64GB was an amazing deal for the price. I still use mine, and essentially got a $700+ phone for $350. Since it was bought on the first day of open orders, I also managed to skip the whole invite system shenanigans.

The OnePlus Two was a downgrade in battery life and software; why would I buy?

• tipoo

Yeah, their output after the One has been a letdown for me. Though the X is pretty cool for budget phones. Part of it is also that there’s other good mid range competitors like the new Moto phones too, so even if the Oneplus 3 had NFC, wireless charging, and improves all the things people criticized in the two, it’s still in a tight spot as a newcomer with questionable service.

• kuraegomon

Sadly, I must agree with you. Only I actually _did_ buy a OnePlus Two to follow up my One, so I can confirm firsthand that the One had _significantly_ better battery life than the two. I’d also say that the CyanogenOS 11 release that the One shipped with was actually better than the CyOS 12 (Lollipop port) that it eventually updated to. I never flashed my One to Oxygen so I can’t comment there.

• cynan

[i<]OnePlus previously said it was selling phones by invitation due to supply constraints. The company gave no reason why it's now decided to do business the old-fashioned way, though, nor has it promised that the invite system is gone for good.[/i<] Well, we certainly couldn't give OnePlus the benefit of the doubt and concede that maybe they are doing away with the invite systems because their supply has now met/exceeded demand. That would be crazy.

• Shinare

I very much wanted a One+ One, even to the point of begging for an invite on their forums and elsewhere. To tell you the truth, the whole thing eventually soured me so much on the company as a whole, now I have no desire to give them any of my money.

• DoomGuy64

Just flash Cyanogen on a Galaxy. Really isn’t any need for this OnePlus company. I’m a bit partial to LG for bang/buck though.

• NeelyCam

I would really REALLY like to do that. AT&T didn’t like the idea, though.

• brucethemoose

Which begs the question: Why are you still with AT&T?

• NeelyCam

Gonna switch (to Cricket) after this contract is over…

• chΒ΅ck

protip: cricket is at&t with slower speeds

• cynan

Hmm. Let’s see. After a quick google, in Canada, the Galaxy S6 is $750+ , he LG G4 is $600+ and the OnePlus Two is $479.

Still don’t see a reason for this phone?

• DoomGuy64

Nope. Samsung & LG’s last gen models are much cheaper, and the specs are in line with the One+. Plus, you only pay full price on those phones if you aren’t on a plan.

• Firestarter

No, you always pay full price regardless of a plan, unless the carrier is feeling especially charitable and just wants to give money away. Having worked with carriers, I can tell you that you pretty much have to be an insider to know whether you’re getting a good deal or you’re getting shafted, and the latter is far more common. The only defense you have is tallying the total cost of the phone+plan and comparing that to other deals.

• lmc5b

I stopped caring when the oneplus X had a glass back, clearly made for marketing reasons and not meant to be used by actual people, as glass is fragile, gets easily dirty and is slippery, just a poor choice all around. When someone makes a phone meant to be used instead of being “premium” let me know.

• shank15217

They ship you a very nice case and screen protector installed with every one plus X, its a great phone.

• lmc5b

I’d say if the phone requires a case then that’s a clear indication that the design is flawed, and that applies to other phones too (*cough*iphone*cough*), but that’s only my opinion I know for other people it’s fine.

• MaxTheLimit

Wouldn’t the glass back only be a concern if it is less durable than the glass front? Since it is just as durable ( from the tests I’ve seen ) I don’t see it as a problem. Besides, as mentioned, they give you a cover if you are worried about the durability.

I’ve been using it for a while now and I’ve had zero issues. The slippery-ness hasn’t been an issue because I grip it from the sides, as most people do, and the micro-cuts make it easy to hold.

My previous phone had a plastic back and it was cheap feeling, which is something I never got over. It felt brittle and over time became scuffed and roughed up looking. I’ll accept wiping off smudges over scratches any day.

A nice metal back would be interesting, but I’ve had no problems with the glass back. I suppose if you set the phone down in a slick surface the phone could slide around, but I’ve not really noticed it. Maybe all the surfaces in my house are too textured. πŸ˜›

• thedosbox

“Wouldn’t the glass back only be a concern if it is less durable than the glass front?”

The back of a phone gets more abuse than the front as most people rest their phones on the back (and yes, the X sliding around has been noted on a number of reviews). And as others have noted, if the phone requires you to use a case then it’s clear that aesthetics were prioritized over durability.

I’ve no idea what your previous phone was, but my almost three year old Moto X has a plastic back and looks and feels just as good as it did when new. Point being, not all plastic is the same.

• MaxTheLimit

I have seen people mention the phone is ‘slippery’ on flat surfaces. I’ve not had a problem, so I’m wondering if it is only slippery on super smooth surfaces?

• thedosbox

“But you are suggesting that the back being made of glass is inherently a fault, yet durability tests have shown that the glass back is as durable as many other phones on the market. To turn your phrasing around, not all glass is the same.”

And while *you* may not have had a problem, it’s not too difficult to find reviews who’ve noted it’s a problem:

[url<]http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-x-review[/url<] [url<]http://lifehacker.com/slim-pocket-showdown-the-google-nexus-5x-vs-the-oneplu-1748600419[/url<] [url<]https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/3s4zrb/ive_used_the_oneplus_x_for_two_days_now_ama/[/url<]

• MaxTheLimit

“How this particular glass backed phone performs in some random test against other glass backed phones is irrelevant. Both are going to be less durable than plastic in many use cases.”

My comment was meant to illustrate the fallacy that all glass is fragile ( or at least less durable ) compared to other materials. The phones test well compared to ALL phones for durability. Not just glass backed phones.

I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear.

“And while *you* may not have had a problem, it’s not too difficult to find reviews who’ve noted it’s a problem”

As I said, I’ve see people ( and also professional reviewers ) mention the slippery back on flat surfaces. I can only speak for my own experience with it. In my experience, it hasn’t been a problem. As I set it on my desk right now, it will slide if I drag it around or nudge it with a bit of force. But it’s less slippery than a mouse would slide across a desk, if you’d like some comparative context πŸ˜›

I don’t have any glass surfaces in my home though. I’d be curious to see how it does on unmarked glass, or a highly polished surface. But at home or work it rests nicely on flat surfaces. I’m wondering if there’s some phones that have a shape that creates an air pocket that the phone can sort of ‘float’ on? Maybe that’s why mine doesn’t seem to?

• thedosbox

” The phones test well compared to ALL phones for durability. Not just glass backed phones.”

I consider random drop tests worthless, so this I’d like to read. Got a link?

• MaxTheLimit

Sure.
            Here is a link to a tear down that shows the build quality of the phone:
            [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUiF12Gc-s[/url<] And here is a link to the companion durability test: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeLiTXOOec[/url<] Don't worry, it isn't a drop test. There are enough of those out there. It may seem like I've been defending it fanboyishly, but I do have some annoyances ( as I do with every device it seems ). The phone is really sturdy all around, but that ring of microcut metal isn't as strong as the rest of the phone. So when I put it in my pocket, keys or change at the bottom of my pocket have started to create small blemishes along the metal along the bottom. Not a big deal, but it shoulda been easy to make metal stronger. Also the speaker sits where I rest the phone on my pinky finger when holding the phone vertically. This muffles the sound. I have to consciously move my finger into the less natural position under the micro USB port.

• thedosbox

Did you post the right links? That durability test compares the OnePlus X’s glass [b<]back[/b<] against other glass [b<]screens[/b<]. He even notes that the X's back performs similarly to other phones gorilla glass screens. What it doesn't compare is performance of the glass back against a plastic or metal backed phone. It also doesn't attempt to test resistance against shattering or cracking - areas where glass is weakest.

• MaxTheLimit

That is the specific video for the OnePlus X. The channel has run tests on many other popular phones. It shows scratch and bend tests for each phone.

You didn’t want drop tests, and the only other ‘impact’ tests I could find were just people smashing it with a hammer…which isn’t very…scientific. If you were looking for like blunt impact forces applied to the phone for testing purposes, I don’t know of any. There is a video on the actual OnePlus page showing how they test drop damage and force damage, but I’m not sure it’s what you are looking for. Plus it is from their official page, so it’s not likely to show if there is a problem with any of their models. Here is the link anyhow:

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4CJxbauEU[/url<]

• ikjadoon

I love the sandstone on my OPO. πŸ™ Shame they dropped it.

• ronch

Can’t get over that glass back either. People have a tendency to slam their phones on their desk after having a bad conversation.

• DancinJack

Very meh. These phones don’t really get my interest at all.

• gmskking

No thanks

• sweatshopking

NO WINDOWS 10 = NO DEAL

• DreadCthulhu

Windows, on a phone? Don’t be silly, that would never sell. πŸ˜‰

• biffzinker

WINDOWS PHONE IS DEAD, PULL THE PLUG

• sweatshopking

NEVER. I’M GOING TO WAIT FOR THE NEW (HOPEFULLY NOT METAL) SURFACE PHONE WITH WIN32 SUPPORT AND X86. I WANT IT. WHY?! IDK. I DON’T ACTUALLY NEED ANYTHING MORE THAN MY 1520 FOR LITERALLY ANYTHING, BUT WHAT KIND OF FANBOY (OR SECRETLY GIRL?!!? WHO KNOWS?! SOOO MYSTERIOUS!!!) WOULD I BE UNLESS I BOUGHT THE NEWEST SHINY GADGET WHICH DOES NOTHING I NEED!?