Fallout 4 patch 1.3 brings HBAO+ and better particle effects to the PC

In our Fallout 4 review, we concluded that while it's a good game, it could still use a little more work on the technical side. Bethesda made a promise of sorts a while ago to keep Fallout 4 updates flowing steadily, and so far it hasn't let us gamers down. The Fallout 4 1.3 patch for PC is out now with lots of important fixes.

The PC version of the game was already the best-looking one to me by far, and it's gotten prettier with this patch. The new version adds support for Nvidia's HBAO+ ambient occlusion, which improves the game's shadow quality. Nvidia card owners get an additional freebie: additional weapon debris effects. Key remapping on all platforms is also improved, too. Players now have additional options for remapping the E, S, D, and F keys while in Workshop mode.

The more technical side of the game hasn't been forgotten. Bethesda says the new update brings "general memory and stability improvements," and fixes a number of issues with companions and buggy perk behavior (no more MacReady headshot cheat for you!). Last but not least, there's the usual laundry list of quest fixes, along with multiple improvements for the Workshop mode. Now, if only one of the bullet points in the release notes said "doubled amount of adhesive in the game world…"

• Terra_Nocuus

The weapon debris seems to be a major performance killer for me. I’ll be getting 70-80fps (GTX980 @ 1440p on Ultra) but after an indoor firefight my frame-rate will drop to 40-50, with a lot of choppiness that doesn’t go away until a full reload (quit to menu, load) or a location change.

I also don’t really see a difference with the weapon debris turned on, sadly enough.

• lycium

Extreme lack of screenshots/comparisons in this post and all linked pages :/

• Redundant

Well, roughly 2.5 more years to go before this game has proper fixes and mature mods from the community to make it worthwhile–and the bonus $4.95 pricetag during a steam sale. Meanwhile, FO3, New Vegas, and Skyrim have matured nicely enough for a variety play-throughs. Seems Bethesda’s games are a bit like wine.

• TwoEars

Yeah, I’ve watched a friend play it and I’m personally not touching this game for at least another year. Waiting for the complete edition and nexus mods etc. Right now I’m playing The Talos Principle since I missed it when it first came out, great game.

• Voldenuit

No matter how much the fans mod this, I have doubts they will ever be able to recapture the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system as we saw in FO1, 2, NV and even 3.

• ImSpartacus

Honestly, I like how fo4 did their special system.

I mean, it’s kinda cool that it can cleanly and elegantly fit on a poster. That kind of cohesive design is pretty neat.

• Srsly_Bro

I like it too. It’s mapped out and it gives you many more opportunities and play styles without starting a new character

• brucethemoose

Same. I initially played Oblivion, FO3, NV and Skyrim “raw”… I want my first FO4 play though to be modded.

That, and Bethesda RPGs really need next-gen hardware to run without stuttering, especially when you pile mods on top.

• Srsly_Bro

Yup. When fallout 3 came out I had dual gtx 260 core 216 GPUs, and the 896MB of RAM meant lots of stuttering

• ColeLT1

Before I even buy FO4 I am going to replay FO3 and NV, but with the “Tale of Two Wastelands” or similar mod that combines the 2 games.

• Kieta

Nice list of fixes. I’ve logged 60 hrs so far in the game. Although nothing for disappearing PipBoy and having to reload a save to get it to show back up. Also where your bullets stop doing damage, also requiring a reload of a save. Not big issues as I have really enjoyed playing but still work to do Bethesda!

• Sargent Duck

@Bruno,

I had another friend who also mentioned the lack of adhesive in the game world. I called him crazy because I have so much of the stuff I could build a house out of duct tape and glue.

I wonder if I ran into some sort glitch where I have too much?

• bthylafh

I was frequently out of adhesive until I set up some farms and supply lines. With enough tatos, mutfruit, corn, and water you can make all the adhesive you want.

• morphine

Probably what “bthylafh” above said. I almost completely avoided settlements, so without a means to generate adhesive, I was stuck (pun unintended) with scavenging and occasionally blowing 2500 caps on a 25-pack.

• NTMBK

Did they patch the boring fetch quests?

• Voldenuit

Yes, it’s called Witcher 3.

• DancinJack

Funny and true. +3!

• bthylafh

There’s a settlement that needs your help.

• TwoEars

“But I gave them 20 turrets and power armor….. HOW????”

• Fonbu

Fairly impressive features and fixes that are gradually coming. I do not have the game yet but next sale will get it!