Square Enix patches Rise of the Tomb Raider for the PC

Just in time for this weekend, Square Enix has released a patch for the latest Lara Croft adventure, Rise of the Tomb Raider. After the game was released for the PC last week, some Steam users reported problems starting the game. A number of potential culprits for that issue—a C++ runtime error, a failed Visual C++ installation, and conflicts with other applications—have all been addressed.

Updates to the in-game experience also made their way into the patch, including a new UI for maps and basecamps. Those with Nvidia cards should see improved HBAO+ quality and better SLI support, and Razer Chroma-enabled peripherals should affect performance less and put on a better show.

• hasseb64

But she is a woman!

• tipoo

…Should I ask for clarity?

• gigafinger

Is this a penis joke? It’s rather flaccid.

• moose17145

Sooooo many Zapp Brannigan quotes I want to put in here!

Shush, Lee Lemon.

• VincentHanna

I only made it to the section that takes place aboard the old wooden ships in TR 2013 before I got bored, put the game away and never picked it back up again.

Pretty games only take you so far.

• BIF

Am I the only one who instantly saw the acronym?

Rise of the Tomb Raider = “ROTTR” 🙂

That scene pic is very impressive.

• TwoEars

I believe patience is my new favorite virtue, why pay $60 for the base game with bugs when I can wait 1-2 years and and get it for $30 with all DLC and expansions and all the bugs fixed. I have a back burner to chew on anyway, and I need to finish Pillars of Eternity.

Seems XCOM 2 is going to be the same. Lots of talk about performance issues and bugs right now. With new releases becoming more and more technologically complex I think release day purchases are becoming less and less appealing.

• dennisnp

Got mine complete, base + dlc for $50-55.
      Someone selling the games as gifts.
      Not a good way but wanted it badly.
      Loved the first one even if a bit repetitive.

• biffzinker

Same here, got the game somewhere else for $34.00 in place of the 10% off $59.99 at Steam.

• Hsldn

Actually i bought it for $9 from windows store.

• TwoEars

Yeah, that was such a crazy deal/hack. I think it only worked in Win10 though.

• robliz2Q

Hmm, I looked in W10 store when info about a deal was up and they seemed to be just offering $9 off .. not nearly as attractive a deal. Wonder if someone screwed up! 🙂

• Hsldn

Did you set your location to Ukraine?

• excession

Whaaaaaa? I missed this 🙁

• Firestarter

especially with single player games I don’t think you miss out on much if anything by waiting

• puppetworx

Squeenix game prices drop like a rock,

• the

Except their old console back catalog which are constantly being ported to every new medium worth having. Kinda like the Beatle’s white album. Unlike the white album, each release seems to make it worse.

• brucethemoose

On top of that, you can get a cheapish GPU 1-2 years later to max out the game, and maybe even throw in some ReShade post-processing.

You don’t really miss multiplayer either. If it’s any good, all the DLC will be free/dirt cheap 2 years later and the community will still be there. If it’s bad, the community will be gone anyway.

• Firestarter

maybe you used to be able to get a cheap GPU after 2 years, but that’s not necessarily the case anymore. The AMD R9 380 for example is only somewhat faster than a AMD HD7950 introduced 4 years ago and it’s still ~$200. A 4 year wait used to buy you a much steeper discount and/or much better performance

• biffzinker

You might be surprised, but the AMD Radeon 280/7950 is running this game at a mix of high, and very high settings with a smooth framerate. Not bad for a GPU chip that was released back in January 9 2012.

• Firestarter

I’m not surprised, my HD7950 had no problems with the first installment

• biffzinker

I was still on a crippled Geforce 660 (says 2 GB on the box/specs but that last 512 MB made for a slow card when you exceeded 1.5 GB) when I played the first. So going from the 660 to the 280 I got double the usable capacity/memory bandwidth. Only spent $165 on the Radeon R9 280

• brucethemoose

I know. Buying my 7950 for $200 in 2013 is probably the 2nd best hardware purchase I’ve made.

• Firestarter

compare it to what $200 buys you today and it was a steal. I got mine at launch and I didn’t even mine bitcoin with it :-/

• Sargent Duck

Yep, I was thinking of upgrading my 7870 in preparation of this game, but couldn’t really justify any upgrade in my price range. Which was fine, my 7870 ran this game perfectly fine at decent settings.

• robliz2Q

To be fair, the expected process node shrink flopped without FinFet, that means the die sizes are undesirably large which lowers yield and keeps costs up.

Once the 14nm/16nm processes are ramped up and the pent up demand satisfied, you can anticipate some nice discounts. Fortunately GPUs aren’t as affected as CPUs by the ceasing of Dennart scaling, which has made single thread performance progress slow.

• brucethemoose

I know, I got my 7950 right before the Litecoin craze and still have it.

But we’re right at the end of the 28nm slump. I don’t think AMD/Nvidia will skip another node like they did with 32nm/20nm, or stick out all of 14nm without improving the uarch.

• BobbinThreadbare

You can buy a GeForce 960 for ~$180. That’s cheaper and faster than an R9 380.

• biffzinker

I think the Geforce 960 is a poor offering from Nvidia considering cost to performace ratio. Nvidia could have done more with their product stack for the 900 series. Seems the lower end cards didn’t get as much attention.

• Tirk

I love Xcom and Xcom 2 but I am a little annoyed that in ultra wide resolutions, selection boxes are offplace. They still haven’t fixed it in Xcom:enemy unknown so waiting for a fix doesn’t always pan out. Its an annoyance more than a game breaker but unfortunate considering this game lends to being played on an ultra wide screen. That being said, I’d still recommend both games to those that like this genre.

• dmjifn

Well done! Also: [url<]https://xkcd.com/606/[/url<]

• moose17145

Dang! You beat me to posting that very comic! (upvotes)

• Hsldn

no patch on Windows store so far.

• biffzinker

Patch was up on Steam yesterday, strange the patch isn’t up yet for the Windows Store.

Feb 5
      PC Patch notes for patch 1.0.610.1

• LostCat

(nevermind)

• biffzinker

I see a thread at the Square Enix Fourms about no Windows Store patch showing up yet.
      [url=http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=185806<]Windows Store version not updating to latest patch[/url<]

• LostCat