Asus releases a trio of colorful B150 boards for smaller PCs

It's still amazing how much horsepower one can cram into a small computer these days. Asus is serving that increasingly popular market with three B150-based itty-bitty mobos.

First off, there's the B150I Pro Gaming/WiFi/Aura. This B150 board comes with two full-sized DIMM slots capable of taking in up to 32GB of DDR4 clocked at up to 2,133 MT/s. The storage section comprises four SATA 6Gbps ports and an M.2 PCIe x4 slot. Networking on this board seems to tick all the right boxes: MIMO-enabled 2×2 802.11ac WiFi, plus an Intel Ethernet LAN adapter.

Peripheral connectivity is likewise plentiful, with two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports, plus a Type-C USB 3.0 port. Should the need arise, four more USB ports can be tapped from the motherboard's headers. No self-respecting gaming motherboard these days would be complete without lighting effects, and the RGB LED "Aura" setup in this motherboard certainly looks the part. Users can set it up with a multitude of preset effects, including patterns that respond to music or shift according to CPU temperature.

In case you don't think you'll have a use for on-board Wi-Fi, Asus offers another option. The B150 Pro Gaming/Aura is a near-verbatim copy of the board described above, minus the 2×2 Wi-Fi adapter. It should save builders a few bucks.

Sometimes two RAM slots and four SATA ports are not enough, though. The B150M Pro Gaming motherboard is a microATX model which can take in up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM in its four DIMM slots. The storage section gets another two SATA ports, for a total of six.

USB connectivity comes by way of four USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0 ports on the board's backplate, plus another four on tap from internal headers. There are no USB Type-C ports on offer, though. Networking is once again handled by an on-board Intel LAN Ethernet controller. Besides the requisite PCIe x16 expansion slot, the B150M Pro Gaming offers two PCIe x1 connectors.

• wizardz

I like the B150I PRO GAMING/AURA being a “just enough” mobo for my taste.

My next build is most likely going to be as small as possible, heck i might even go for a NUC as i can’t remember the last time i needed a dedicated discrete video card..

• crabjokeman

“Gaming” moniker abuse detected..

• ronch

I’d honestly seriously consider the B150 Pro Gaming (the third board with 4 DIMM slots) if I were building an Intel system today. Even the WiFi equipped board here will do just fine if I install all the RAM I can foresee ever needing. Say, 16 or 32 gigs. I’m sure most folks have realized they only need a slot for their graphics card and another for a WiFi adapter, for those of us who need WiFi anyway.

• AdamDZ

Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports are “plentiful”??? Oh my, has the world changed.

• iBend

1 for mouse
      1 for keyboard
      1 for headphone
      and the last 1 for USB hub, lol

dont worry, some people can live with 4 usb port

• DPete27

I like the option of lighting, but it needs to have adjustments for brightness also….which I don’t see mentioned on Asus’ website

• Voldenuit

[quote<]It's still amazing how much horsepower one can cram into a small computer these days. [/quote<] Is it [i<]that[/i<] surprising? Fewer PCIE slots = less traces, easier to route traces = more room for onboard components. I'm not saying that fewer traces automatically equals more space on a net basis (since I'm not a PCB designer), but I'm thinking it has to be a contributory factor.

• mctylr

What’s with the bridge red squiggly line drawn around I assume the motherboard’s audio section? Does it magically isolate the analog electronics from digital (high frequency switching) noise?

• DPete27

correct

• EndlessWaves

It’s the go faster stripe.

• AdamDZ

Das Blinken Lights….

• ronch

Gandalf drew that line and said to the interference,

“YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!”

• Pitabred

It’s interesting that they’d put two PCIe x1 slots on the PRO board instead of a single PCIe slot and cram in a M.2, or even no secondary PCIe slots. That’d be much more useful for the mainstream gamer, IMO.

• GeForce6200

According to Asus’s website they all have an M.2 slot. If you’re referring to the last board the M.2 is above the 16x slot.

• Pitabred

Ahhh, crap. Looks like I’m just blind, then. Time to get my eyes checked.

• RoxasForTheWin

As much as I like RGB (I like being able to re use parts whenever I change color schemes), it’s pointless when most of the motherboard’s colors are red and black!

• Noinoi

Maybe someday, motherboard vendors will come up with something that can change the heatsink and accent colours.

Though, I can probably see a situation where a red and black motherboard can be paired with LED lights that aren’t red, though I’m still trying to think of exactly how… opposite colours?

By far the best option is to get a case without a window.

• Srsly_Bro

Color schemes. Lol

• Voldenuit

I remember when motherboards were poo brown and green PCBs were the ‘classy’ option.