In the lab: Corsair’s Void Surround headset

Corsair announced its Void Surround headset this week, and we've got one in our labs for testing. This set of cans brings a dash of red-and-black styling to the Void lineup, along with 7.1 surround-sound emulation and universal compatibility for PCs and consoles.

While Corsair's Void Stereo works with PCs and consoles alike, it doesn't do surround sound. The more expensive Void USB offers integrated surround sound mojo, but its hardwired USB connection only works with PCs. The Void Surround bridges this gap with a wired 3.5-mm jack for broad compatibility and an included USB dongle that does Dolby Headphone processing for PCs.

We're putting the Void Surround through its paces now. Stay tuned for our full review soon.

• bluebadger

Question – is the RGB version of this the exact same (except for the RGBs) or is the newer release of this Surround version improved in any other way?
    I was looking at this:
    [url<]http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-gaming-void-wireless-dolby-d6-113483-2016.htm[/url<]

• Gyromancer

First of all, that specific model is wireless, which is an upgrade from the Void Surround we’re reviewing, though there is a wired edition that is a step up from the Surround. It also has some nice indicator lights on the mic as well as an extra button on the headset that I think turns the surround sound on and off, which I wish the model we’re reviewing had. The Void Surround is mostly about being cheaper and also no nonsense with no LED bling.

• Walkintarget

Having been using a set of Logitech G930s for almost a year now (and before that, Turtle Beach X42s), I gave up on anything tethered to the PC about the same time my 12 y.o. daughter started using my PC to watch Youtube videos. It didn’t take long for her to hop up and forget to remove the headphones, leaving me with a broken set of cans and a threat from me to never used wired audio again.

Altho any wireless set usually has some drawbacks compared to a wired set, I personally have moved on to wireless and can’t see going back for any reason. The G930s have pretty bad battery life @10hrs compared to the X42s @17, but the 930s are a lot more sturdy than the X42s so far.

• brucethemoose

I’ve used Dolby Headphone with my Xonar ST a lot, and IMHO it’s trash. It sounds like you’re in a concert hall or something, revurb and all, plus the surround effect itself isn’t very good.

Razed Surround is (surprisingly) much better. It doesn’t destroy the original sound like DH does, yet the surround effect is very strong… Perhaps a little too strong, but that’s OK.

[b<] To TechReport: [/b<] Razer surround is free, and it works with any 2-driver headset. Try testing that Corsair headset with Dolby Headphone and Razer Surround seperately, as it could have a huge impact on sound quality.

• npore

I really like Razer Surround too. Although back when I first tried it the free version sounded like it had ‘bass boost’ and ‘stereo enhancement’ locked on; perhaps this has changed now. I bought the pro version after providing myself with a proper demo…

Oh and that demo clip on their website where you can supposedly turn Razer Surround on and off is hilariously bad.

• Gyromancer

I’ll look into it. I’ll probably try it with other headsets as well to try and determine whether the quality of the virtual surround sound is software or hardware based.

• brucethemoose

I’m 90% sure virtual surround is software based.

You need some kind of license for Dolby Headphone, or Creative’s drivers for SBX, but I don’t think they use a DSP or anything like older soundcards. I’m not sure about those USB headset dongles though, so I’d be happy to see your findings.

• ALiLPinkMonster

It really does work great. I use it with my ATH-M40fs studio cans. It made Alien: Isolation that much more terrifying because I could hear exactly where that thing was running from to come impale me.

I’m surprised they’re giving away the Pro version for free now. It’s something I’d be willing to pay a few bucks for.

• brucethemoose

They’re giving the pro version away?

Not a big deal to me, as I don’t want the equalizer or bass boost… But I don’t see that promotion on their website.

• rei

Corsair’s USB audio drivers have been horrible for years. I’ve had 3 of their headsets. Razer is the only vendor who keeps on top of updating drivers to fix issues with games in my experience.

The irony there is strong but I do agree with you.

• WaltC

Nothing more lame than trying to infuse stereo phones with “7.1” overlay capability. It’s not; it’s stereo. If you want 5.1/7.1, buy speakers!

• DragonDaddyBear

Is it just me or has PC audio for games gotten worse since the death of DirectSound/EAX.

• DoomGuy64

Not particularly worse, but definitely stagnated. Stereo headphone positioning isn’t as accurate as it was with 3d accelerated hrtf, and nobody does wavetracing either. The only way to get acceptable 3d sound anymore is to use something like razer virtual surround, which is nothing more than a hack job that compensates for a broken audio system.

• brucethemoose

OpenAL does binaural surround really well, game devs just refuse to use it for some reason.

• DoomGuy64

They’re probably more experienced in ds, and it’s easier porting with the xbox. TLDR: Laziness. That, and stability. DS always works, whereas OpenAL can occasionally cause issues.

• ozzuneoj

There are certainly fewer compatibility problems, but yeah, I haven’t been impressed by a game’s sound in a long time.

Its like people just stopped caring about audio in games at some point, and the hardware and software innovations dried up shortly after.

I still miss A3D on my Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 Super Quad sound card… and what an awesome name! 🙂

• DoomGuy64

Dolby 7.1 doesn’t get rated nearly as high as razer or creative for sound positioning, and youtube comparison videos seem to confirm that.

I’ve recently become hooked on a game called [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/274940/<]Depth[/url<], and most of the top players claim to use Razer headphones. I wouldn't normally think much of it, except that as a diver you cannot see the sharks half of the time due to reduced visibility. The top players instead use 7.1 headphones to hear the sharks, and end up going out in the open to hunt them down, which is pretty aggravating as a shark. That said, SeanXD's score is so high, he could be cheating. Dunno, but it's certainly a fun game to play, and I can definitely recommend it for headphone testing. hint hint, wink wink. :p

• Gyromancer

From the small amount of time I’ve had with it so far, I’ve been blown away by the virtual surround sound. It does almost seem like cheating when you can hear the guy behind you, turn around, and mow him down before he can get a shot off.

• Srsly_Bro

I need something better than my stereo headphones when playing cs go.

• southrncomfortjm

I had a set of surround sound headphones from Tritton for my 360 a while back. Can’t remember the name, but the cans themselves were blue. I really loved that headset and it really did seem to delivery strong surround sound. I remember playing Splinter Cell: Double Agent and feeling like I had a distinct advantage since I could tell exactly where a spy or merc was when they were moving around in a clumsy manner. I distinctly remember headshotting a spy that was being really loud on top of a ventilation duct – I heard them distinctly behind me and to my left, turned around and they were right where I thought they’d be. It was an awesome moment.

That said, I haven’t bought a gaming specific headset in ages and probably won’t again. I’d rather get a quality set of headphones and then just clip on my little Zalman mic to make it work for gaming. Best of both worlds.

• Anovoca

If it is not too much to ask, could you post the measurements for the ear cup height, width, and depth in your review? Nothing can ruin a great sounding over-ear headset than when the cups are too small and pinch a part of your ear.

• Gyromancer

Will do. I’ll also have multiple people try them.