Deals of the week: Mushkin’s Reactor 1TB SSD for $220 and more

Greetings! We have been tasked to inform you of the excellent selection of computing hardware deals offered by online purveyors. It is our solemn duty to separate wheat from chaff, a function which we believe we have performed admirably. Behold this week's deals.

• "SSD storage is getting real cheap" is the catchphrase of the day lately, but even in light of that fact, there are some absurd deals to be found. How does 22 cents a gigabyte sound? That's exactly what you get with the Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD, which can be yours for $220 at Newegg with the promo code EMCEGGH23.

• If you prefer an alternative to the Reactor, prices for Samsung's 850 EVO SSDs are also crazy low right now. Newegg will sell you the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB for $271 after promo code ESCEGGJ26, while the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB is going for $140 with the code ESCEGGJ62.

• The 850 EVO is pretty speedy, but there are certain needs that can only be fulfilled by a blazin' fast SSD. The Intel 750 PCIe 400GB SSD is going for $330 at Newegg. As we verified in our review, consumer SSDs don't get much faster than the 750 Series.

• Solid-state drives are very nice, but one often needs just a big hunk o' storage. Seagate's 6TB NAS HDD is selling for $230 at Newegg with promo code ESCEGGJ27. That works out to just over 38 dollars a terabyte.

• One can cheap out on certain PC parts, but it's usually not a good idea to skimp on the power supply. Newegg has EVGA's 550 G2 80+ Gold modular power supply for $80 after promo code EMCEGGJ43. EVGA is even offering an aditional $20 mail-in rebate, if that's your thing.

• Who wants a nice monitor? I do, you do, everyone does! Samsung's U32D970Q is going for $1200 at Newegg after promo code 0223SMTCLL138. The U32D970Q is a 32" 4K monitor with a 10-bit PLS panel and 99.5% coverage of Adobe RGB. Just the ticket for photo editing.

• Finally, we have a sweet-sounding deal. No good speaker set is complete without a subwoofer, and Newegg has the Klipsch Synergy Sub-12HG on offer for only $199 after promo code EMCEGGJ33. This sub uses a 12-inch cone, and it provides 300W RMS. If that doesn't sound good to you, you need your ears checked.

Gentlemen and ladies, it was a pleasure. Should you encounter any equally tasty deals today, be sure to share your findings in the comments section below.

• Welch

“It is our solemn duty to separate wheat from chaff, a function which we believe have performed admirably.”

I think you’re missing another “we”….

• maxxcool

Call me skeptical.. but I see 22c, 23c and 24c deals every week now. doesn’t seem to excite me any more.

now a 19c/gb deal *might* persuade me ..

• Peter.Parker

[quote<]Mushkin's Reactor 1TB SSD for $220 [/quote<] Newegg's Canadian sister is selling this one at the equivalent Canadian coin, CAD 299. However, there is 5.99 shipping charge, and adding sale tax (which could be up to 14%, depending on your address), makes it, in my case, around CAD 350. Still a good deal !

• gbcrush

must not jump on the mushkin, must not jump on the mushkin…

The 1TB Reactor (or its equivalent) is in my “parts to buy list” for my next build…

Only, I’m planning on building NEXT year. Maybe even JUNE of next year. Every time I see a deal as good as this on a product like an SSD, I’ve got to remind myself that in a year’s time there’s a good chance that regular prices for 1TB will be this low…and sales may bring them even lower!

…or you know, sales may bring 2TB drives even closer to 1TB drive prices now. 🙂

• Pitabred

Worth it. I actually have a 256GB EVO840 as my boot/main drive, and a 960GB Crucial as my game storage drive, then a few spinning drives for pictures and such (along with the NAS). It ends up working out pretty well overall.

• gbcrush

I’ve got two SSDs humming along in my current rig right now. Not necessary to get one.

…just tempting. 🙂

• TheMonkeyKing

256GB as “my boot drive”

Oh geez I am so old. Was it just a few years ago that 256GB was the size of my main HD storage drive?

• dragontamer5788

[quote<]Solid-state drives are very nice, but one often needs just a big hunk o' storage. Seagate's 6TB NAS HDD is selling for $230 at Newegg with promo code ESCEGGJ27. That works out to just over 38 dollars a terabyte.[/quote<] 5TB Toshibas have been selling at $150 to $170 for a year. I'd stick with 5TB if you're interested in maximizing TB per dollar. 6TB seems to have a cost premium for everybody.

• DPete27

Yeah, $30/TB is the rule of thumb for good sale prices on >2TB drives.

• morphine

Do note the NAS-specific firmwares (and often longer warranties). It’s possible the drives you’re comparing to have the same features, but NAS-labeled HDDs tend to cost more, with good enough reason.

• WhatMeWorry

I can’t wait for the day when SSDs get cheap enough to be placed in the lowest of low end devices. Death to the HDD. Long live the SSD! (and yes, I’m not including in this massive archival storage)

• DPete27

The MIR on the EVGA 550 G2 is $20 not $10. Final price = $60 after MIR and promo code EMCEGGJ43

• morphine

Fixed the note about the MIR, thanks.

• Kretschmer

Does the Mushkin unit have any secret warts? If not, I’m going to quadruple my SSD storage!

• JosiahBradley

Like in previous post I stand behind these Mushkins. Using roughly 7 of them so far without problem. Speedy for the price.

• SomeOtherGeek

That reminds me: We NEED/WANT an endurance test of the new drives. And it is just not for kicks, but that is one test that I thought benefited all. Please, TR please?

• Deanjo

Their RMA process can be a bit slow but other than that they are fine.

• Kretschmer

Pulled the trigger! Now to decide if this or my Samsung 830 is my boot drive. Tempted to throw it all on the Mushkin and upgrade to Win10 at the same time.

256GB just doesn’t go as far as it used to…

• UberGerbil

I think what I’d do is image the 830 to the Mushkin and then take the 830 out of the machine (ie, detach the SATA cable). Do the Win10 upgrade on the Mushkin — that way, if anything goes wrong or you just decide you don’t like Win10, you have a fully-functional system drive backup.

I’m not one of those “wipe and reinstall, never upgrade the OS” types, but if you are you could just skip the imaging step and do a clean install on the Mushkin and then let windows transfer the settings over from the 830.

• gecko575

[quote<] This sub uses a 12-inch cone, and it provides 300W RMS. If that doesn't sound good to you, you need your ears checked. [/quote<] *sigh* This is why I have to listen to my audio equipment before I buy anything. Just because a speaker is <X> size and pulls <Y> power does not mean it will sound good.

• morphine

The “sounds good” bit was about the deal. And it’s not a generic store brand subwoofer either, for what it’s worth.

• gecko575

It didn’t sound like that to me when he follows it up with “you need your ears checked”. Good point though.

And to be fair, I’ve also never heard Klipsch audio in person

• morphine

He = me. We’re cool on this.

The deal is meant to be phrased like “big 300W sub from a reputable manufacturer for only $199”. That’s always something worth looking into, I reckon.

• gecko575