Levi Strauss Day Shortbread

7 Up

1. Digital Trends: hp CEO claims Windows 10 isn't driving demand for hardware
  2. Eurogamer: Ubisoft fights hostile takeover bid from Vivendi
  3. WCCFtech: AMD's secret DirectX 12 weapon that Nvidia traded off – Async Compute explained
  4. GSMArena: Vivo XPlay 5 benches like a champ on Antutu with its 6GB RAM
  5. The VAR Guy: Intel unveils Android phones that can also run Debian GNU / Linux
  6. 9to5Mac: Apple to launch 9.7-inch iPad Pro, not Air 3; Smart Keyboard & Apple Pencil support likely
  7. C|Net's exclusive: The OnePlus 3 will launch by June

1. TweakTown reviews Zalman ZM-M600R mouse
  2. techPowerUp! reviews 1000W be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 PSU
  3. Case mod at ThinkComputers: My 1995 IBM Aptiva
  4. Ocaholic's Raidmax Monster II case review
  5. OCC's Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case review
    • Unknown-Error

Just a suggestions. Why not have a Scott Wasson day?

• UberGerbil

Anybody know his birthday?

• tsk

[quote<]The VAR Guy: Intel unveils Android phones that can also run Debian GNU / Linux[/quote<] I've been waiting for this to happen, the time is now!

• albundy

Levis quality has gone to the pooper scooper. Bought 4 pairs of the same model, same waist and length, but slightly different colors. 2 were normal, and 2 were baggy and too wide legged. How hard is it to measure fabric?

• DreadCthulhu

To be fair, the children sewing those together are probably still learning how to count. Cut the little guys some slack.

• UberGerbil

Sounds like they may have been mislabled, rather than mis-made. Happens frequently with clothes that have been worn and returned; they’re generally not supposed to be sold as new (depending on local laws) but a lot of retailers will just put fresh tags back on and sell them. And there’s no quality control for the wage slaves in the back room who are finding whatever tags they can to put them back on the shelves.

• Buzzard44

On the contrary, Levi’s outsources to so many different shops with different processes and poor quality controls, the internet is filled with complaints about the inconsistency of their pants, even of the same size and model.

I’ve been fairly lucky with mine, but I do note some differences in them depending on where I buy them, despite always getting 550, 32×30 in dark stonewash every time. Also one of my pairs had the bottom half the belt loops come off the fabric, even though I don’t wear a belt and they have no load on them!

All that said, they’re still my go-to jeans.

• Srsly_Bro

After having games locked on a useless platform, commonly known as UPlay, ubisoft deserves vivendi.

• kn00tcn

wow so clever! you deserve to be in an unrelated car accident after you said something mean that one time rather than a direct response

• bill94el

I started to say nasty things about Ubi, but won’t. To put it politely, if someone were to move them away from UPlay I’m in favor.

• LoneWolf15

Because it’s Levi Strauss day, I have to say this:

[url<]http://www.thebigstory.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/soldier-saluting.jpg[/url<] To the man who invented the best form of any-occasion pantswear, I salute you. You deserve the Presidential Medal of Freedom (posthumously, of course).

• gbcrush

[quote<] Ubisoft fights hostile takeover bid from Vivendi[/quote<] Oh yeah. Never thought I'd be rooting for Ubisoft any time soon but...gah. Vivendi?? Seriously, while I have plenty of axes to grind with Ubi they do a) show signs of trying to improve things every so often, and b) still put out games I want to play. ....unlike that other publisher Vivendi grabbed up. Whatsits name. Oh yeah. I FORGOT---because Vivendi f'in ruined them into irrelevance. GG Vivendi. I hope you're reading this somewhere and decide to wank over a grizzly bear.

• Flatland_Spider

Pants!

• chuckula

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaT7F7lMEY[/url<]

• Krogoth

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tAGIH3FGBU[/url<]

• Flatland_Spider

The Tick is awesome. 🙂

• tfp

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfI9DQsWGm8[/url<]

• Duct Tape Dude

[quote<]Digital Trends: hp CEO claims Windows 10 isn't driving demand for hardware[/quote<] What about stagnating performance? Sandy Bridge and onward are still "good enough" for the majority of users, and other performance enhancements like SSDs warrant simple upgrades instead of entire new machines. Mac sales are also slightly lower than last year, so it's not just you, HP.

• Welch

Yeah I love how they all want to play the software when hardware has staggered for the past 5 years or so. Wait until the true 4k and VR push are here, and variable refresh rates hit. Those will push hardware sales big time. Windows 10 is primed and ready for the hardware, just waitinfg on the rest of the market.

• Concupiscence

>> Wait until the true 4k and VR push are here, and variable refresh rates hit. Those will push hardware sales big time.

There’s something to be said for 4K, especially for content-generating professionals and workstation users. Disc media’s so DRM-hobbled that even Blu-rays are a pain; I can’t imagine the horrors that await people trying to view Blu-ray UHD content on a PC. Streaming video’s not ready for 4K except for a few people with solutions like Google Fiber available, either, and reliably delivering sufficient bitrate to keep that looking good will be a challenge for a while.

Variable refresh rates are an inessential nicety – if you don’t believe me, start talking about it with a mixed group of PC users and see how many sets of eyes start to glaze over. It’s a nice advancement, but in and of itself that isn’t going to drive a lot of upgrades outside of the gaming market.

VR is terrific for the subset of users willing to spend $600+ for a piece of hardware plus the extra cost of the PC needed to feed it. Please believe me when I say that most others really aren’t going to care.

PC hardware’s stuck where it is by a lack of competition between Intel and AMD, and by limiting returns of process improvements. The low-hanging fruit’s been pretty well picked by now. It doesn’t help that Windows 10 seems more interested in tilting the deck in Microsoft’s favor than in improving the operating system in ways that most of its users will appreciate. The latter doesn’t help what’s already a mature ecosystem.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Case mod at ThinkComputers: My 1995 IBM Aptiva[/quote<] How I hated those damn gravity latches......

• chuckula

So wait, do we have a verdict on whether or not Skylake is a worthwhile upgrade from a 486?

• The Egg

I’d have to say no. If you’re just opening a Wordperfect 5.1 document or browsing BBS’s, there’s really not much room for improvement. I think we’ve reached the threshold for maximum 1.44MB floppy performance as well, so I’m not sure why anyone would feel the need to upgrade.

• chuckula

That’s true. Additionally, I’m pretty sure that Skylake would do nothing to improve the text scrolling speed during a Tradewars session using my 14.4K modem.

Weak sauce Intel, weak sauce.

WHooooo!

[url<]http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/15-1171.Opinion.2-24-2016.1.PDF[/url<]

• chuckula

Yeah, the slide-to-unlock patent was particularly egregious.
      To the point that a simple trip to Youtube would show you prior art: [url<]https://youtu.be/Tj-KS2kfIr0?t=4m[/url<]

I think auto-correct is worse, honestly. I used Microsoft Word for Windows 3.1 and it had all kinds of auto-correct and auto-replace options, and it could learn more since the dictionary was user-definable.

• Krogoth

[quote<]Digital Trends: hp CEO claims Windows 10 isn't driving demand for hardware [/quote<] It is because it is an OS not a killer app. The real reason for the slump in mainstream sales is that there's no killer mainstream application that renders systems a decade old woefully obsolete. The mainstream customer is more interested in getting portables and other smaller form factors over "traditional" desktops.

• kn00tcn

last time i checked, we have more portable & mini-pc devices, we have $100 windows 10 sticks & tablets (from HP on top of that), so yes they did expect some demand

• blastdoor

[quote<]9to5Mac: Apple to launch 9.7-inch iPad Pro, not Air 3; Smart Keyboard & Apple Pencil support likely[/quote<] Looks like they are changing their marketing nomenclature a bit here. The term "air" seems to be on the way out, both for the Mac and the iPad. Makes some sense -- presumably everything ought to be thin/light now. I wonder if there will be a plain old "iPad" or if there will only be the mini and pro....