The HTC Vive is now available for pre-order

HTC's Vive VR headset is now available for pre-order. The $799 kit includes the Vive itself, two hand controllers, and the two base stations you'll need to set up the Vive's virtual environment. HTC is bundling Google's Tilt Brush app, Fantastic Contraption, and Job Simulator with the Vive to give owners a jumping-off point. If you're not in the USA, HTC has also published a list of international prices for the pre-order bundle.

We've pre-ordered a Vive for review, and HTC's online store suggests that our unit will ship sometime in April. Others aren't having such an easy time of things, though. HTC suggests buyers should refresh the Vive's store page if they get an "out of stock" message, though Twitter users have reported problems completing orders with international shipping addresses, too. If you ordered a Vive this morning, let us know how it went in the comments.

• south side sammy

and on a related subject………. [url<]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2016/02/29/sony-patents-modern-powerglove/1[/url<] "Sony has patented a gesture-recognising virtual reality controller capable of recognising hand position and individual finger movements - and even whether or not the person is grasping a real-world object, and if so how tightly."

• Neutronbeam

Viva Vive vying for visibility to surVive! If it doesn’t than Vive vaya con Dios.

(I think I just made myself nauseous.)

• ronch

Prediction: Oculus is to PlayStation as Vive is to Sega Saturn.

As a Sega Saturn owner, all I can say is “oof.”

At least you didn’t buy a 32X.

You didn’t, right?
        OH DEAR LORD NO!!

/me kicks the dirt, looks at the ground.

• ronch

I think VR should be enjoyed sitting on an armchair. I just don’t have the space to walk around without bumpinng into something, unless I take everything out of my room. And without being wireless, it just seems cumbersome. What if I go around and trip on the VR cable?

And after a hard day, the last thing I want is to walk around the room, VR or no VR.

• thor84no

Not everyone has space issues and it’s not that hard to manage the cables, though some care might be required. I’m pretty sure the Vive will be perfectly fine for seated use, and that you don’t need the ability to move around doesn’t mean it isn’t greatly appreciated by others.

• Kairu43

I wasn’t able to see the pre-order option for a couple minutes after the timer hit all zeros. I also ran into that out of stock message. I refreshed and still had the error, though the tax disappeared. I went back to the home page and went through the process again, filling in the info that it didn’t keep from the first time (fortunately, not much) and got my confirmation. Looking at that twitter page though, I find it interesting that there are additional shipping options. When I did it, the only option available was 2-day for $30 (admittedly I didn’t recheck this when I went through the steps on the subsequent tries, so perhaps those loaded and I didn’t double check the drop-down). At this point though, I’m not touching my order as it ships in April. Now I wait and keep my eye out for 14 NM GPUs 🙂

• JosiahBradley

Still curious why they chose HDMI/mDP->HDMI as the connection type. This isn’t a TV but a high end dual monitor where DisplayPort MST would make a lot of sense using here.

• tviceman

Cost?

• JosiahBradley

HDMI cost more in licencing and the added cost of the mDP to HDMI adapter they include. So it would just make sense to support the de facto PC display port, pun intended.

• Duct Tape Dude

Very excited to see Player 2 has joined, especially because the shipping date is not far off.

The included game lineup is a bit underwhelming in my opinion, and feels more like a set of refined tech demos. But it doesn’t hurt to have.

As others note, it’s great that the Vive is focused on room scale, though I cannot see myself crawling and jumping around my living room on an expensive leash attached to an expensive gaming computer. Maybe next year we’ll get wireless headsets.

• south side sammy

gotta wonder, with all these company’s coming out with an “Oculus” headset, wonder which few will have survived five years from now? and will the survivor’s have their own console?.. nvidia/xbox/ps2, etc.

• ronch

As usual, when there’s a new technology, everyone vies for position. That’s what happened in the 70’s when everyone came up with computers of wildly varying quality, performance and usability (yes, I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley). That’s what happened in the late 90’s when 3D graphics went mainstream. That’s what’s happening now with VR.

• cobalt

Hmmm….. Half tempted, it’s a good price for a headset that’s supposedly pretty comparable to the Oculus Rift but includes the controllers.

As cool as the room-scale features sound, though, I’m not sure I can make much use of them; VR probably going to be more of a seated experience for me for a while. As such, I think the benefits of Oculus are the lower price (by virtue of not including the Touch controller), built-in headphones, extra compatibility (I believe it supports SteamVR, while Vive doesn’t support Oculus software), slightly better optics and slightly lighter weight. (These last ones might not be accurate, just what I gathered from reading about others’ experiences.)

• Billstevens

Oculus is the only company which design custom optics, but most reports say the visual experience is similar on both. The Rift CV1 does appear to have gotten a better final polish while the Vive is extremely similar to their “DK2” Vive pre.

As of right now SteamVR will be Rift compatible, but Vive will not be Oculus store compatible.

The Rift is likely to be the simplest option for those most interested in seated VR. Room level and or standing VR on the Rift will cost as much or more if you eventually chose to buy their touch controls.

• riblitz

I tried both HTC’s and Oculus’ offerings at the nVidia Booth during PAX Prime 2015. The Vive simply blew the Rift out of the water back then. It was just superior in every way, with the exception of weight. Better fidelity, better 3d effect and way better optics. The Rift was like looking down a pair of rifle scopes. If the unit shifted around at all, you would start losing/blacking out the visual. (Just like a scope.) Along with breaking the immersion this led to me having the rift in a position on my face that was noticeably uncomfortable. Even during the 5 minute demo. I don’t know what kind of optics are in the Vive. But this issue I was having with the Rift did not occur at all. Well, that’s my 2 cents.

• cobalt

Interest perspective, though I’ve read as many comparative reviews as I could find, and nearly every one said they were effectively identical in terms of optics, so I’m a bit surprised to hear you say that. Specifically, FOV nearly identical, resolution technically identical except the Rift has a little less SDE with possibly a little less sharpness as a tradeoff. The negatives you report I’ve heard from both sides with a poorly-adjusted headset, though, so I’m expecting once you get either one home it won’t be a huge problem.