Samsung’s latest curved monitors do FreeSync over HDMI

Some of the best things in life have the right curves, like cars and guitars. Samsung is looking to add monitors to that list, as it's just unveiled a trio of 1080p curved displays. Meet the 27" CF591 and the CF390 series, available in 23.5" and 27" sizes.

Samsung CF591

These monitors can all use AMD's FreeSync variable refresh rate technology over their HDMI inputs. Until recently, FreeSync was a feature limited to DisplayPort outputs. The refresh rate maxes out at 60Hz for all three displays, though.

All three displays use vertical-alignment (or VA) LCD panels. Samsung says these panels should offer better contrast with fewer backlight bleed issues than IPS technology. The specified contrast ratio for all three monitors is 3000:1, and maximum brightness is 250 cd/m².  The displays' backlights are claimed to be flicker-free, too. The 1800R (or 1800-mm radius) curvature on these monitors is stronger than average for a curved display.

Samsung CF390

Now for the main differences between the different models. The CF591's panel can cover a claimed 117% of the sRGB color space. Samsung builds two 5W speakers into this model, too. The CF591 includes a DisplayPort 1.2 input, dual HDMI 1.4 connectors, and a VGA input.

Meanwhile, the CF390 models are a little simpler. These displays lack built-in speakers and DisplayPort inputs, but the integrated stand offers height, swivel, and tilt adjustments. The CF390s offer HDMI and VGA connectors.

For me, VA seems to be the holy grail but I’ve heard that it has pre-charge which adds input lag. Is this true?

As a 1440p IPS panel user I’m not going to downgrade. The only way you’d convince me to lose pixels would be a lag-free, VA, Curved, high-refresh (85Hz or more) 2560x1080p ultrawide. As far as I can tell, the damn thing does not yet exist, despite all of those technologies being commodity now.

• gc9

Pop algebra quiz:
    How many screens will it take to create a 360° vista in a cubicle?
    (e.g., avoid pan/scroll delay to glance around over shoulder)

I get about 21.5 23.5-inch screens, or about 18.5 27-inch screens, assuming they are placed in landscape orientation along the 70-inch radius curve.

• PixelArmy

I never really thought about it, but for curved monitors does the diagonal size follow the arc, or is it linear?

No, the measurement follows the arc.

They’re measured in terms of the substrate that’s cut up when they’re flat sheets, in other words a 27″ curved screen uses the same resolution and pixel density as the 27″ flat version.

• PixelArmy

Good to know. Makes the above math problem easier if going by just panel sizes.

Though in the real world, bezel dimensions are needed. And product specs will still probably list width of the actual product linearly.

Product dimensions are (usually) easy at least; No matter what shape the object is, the product dimensions are a cuboid of WxHxD aligned with the symmetry of the object – in other words, no funny business trying to fit it into a smaller “box” diagonally etc.

• gc9
    • RapidEyeMovement

“Some of the best things in life have the right curves”
    [i<]You see those warriors from Hammerfell?...[/i<]

• RdVi

Samsung keep falling way short with monitors lately.

Freesync but only 60Hz. VA but only 1080P.

Can they please release a nice 27″ VA 1440p ~90Hz freesync capable display?

I’m not sure if 1440p VA panels are available, but they damn well should be already!

• Theolendras

That would indeed be the next go to threshold for me. Nothing less seems like a worthy upgrade. Anyway first, for me a new desktop.

• Tirk

The Samsung S34E790C is a 60Hz 1440p VA curved ultra wide screen (3440 x 1440). Its a beautiful screen but it doesn’t have freesync 🙁

VA panels don’t seem to sport super high refresh rates so I wouldn’t bet on seeing too many with over 60Hz. The image quality is great but I suspect that leads to a lower refresh rate than other LCD panels.

• JustAnEngineer
        • RdVi

I recall TFTcentral stating that the panel itself is not so much the culprit for hitting higher refresh rates vs IPS and that they certainly could be within spitting distance at the same resolution.

Unfortunately I can’t find the quote 🙁

• brucethemoose

High refresh rate VA monitors exist. The Eizo FG2421, for example, takes 120hz input + refreshes at 240hz internally, and I think some of the 32″ 1440p VA monitors can be overclocked.

• Tirk

I stand corrected, do those monitors have any ghosting issues?

• Deanjo

Will someone please go and pimpslap Samsung for their insistence on not putting vesa mounting provisions on anything but their high end?

• GTVic

They did a study, people who don’t buy high end prefer to use duct tape.

• albundy

gotta re-read my pimp hand book foe suckas! its been a while.

[url<]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/albundyhere/tbd/20141109_224007.jpg[/url<]

• south side sammy

1080p and 60Hz……… sounds so……….. “RETRO”.

• biffzinker

What was old is NEW again, haven’t you been paying attention?

• Prestige Worldwide

lol 60hz

• chuckula

There’s nothing funny about 60Hz.

• Prestige Worldwide

True, it’s just sad in 2016.

• biffzinker

What’s really sad is Samsung considers a CURVED 27″ 1080P panel at 60 Hz news worthy. Sure it is a VA panel but still nothing to get excited about.

• morphine

I’d wager that 60 Hz + FreeSync is likely just as good as 100Hz without.

• chuckula

Yes and no.
        In an intensive game where FreeSync can actually have a positive effect at somewhat lower framerates (where the GPU wouldn’t peg the max refresh rate of the monitor anyway) then Freesync wins. In a lot of other situations where the GPU can peg the higher refresh rate, however, the 60Hz monitor is stuck at 60Hz, Freesync or not.

• morphine

Fair enough, but IMO the whole point of having variable refresh rate isn’t when your GPU can deliver many frames. It’s precisely for those times when it can’t.

• biffzinker

Maybe the panel can be ran over 60 Hz using ?
          [url=http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU<]Custom Resolution Utility - CRU[/url<]

• Demetri

Unfortunately, adaptive sync does nothing to help motion blur. You need higher refresh rates and/or backlight strobing to take care of that.

• morphine

No argument there. I guess I should have added “all else being equal” to my earlier statement.

• EzioAs

If you are laughing because it’s 1920×1080, sure it makes [i<]some[/i<] sense (albeit slightly). If you are laughing simply because it's 60Hz, then it doesn't make any sense because 60Hz monitors will still be coming out in the future and the trend wouldn't stop anytime soon especially with higher res monitors (4K and above) because of bandwidth.

• Prestige Worldwide

ORLY

[url<]https://techreport.com/news/29790/vesa-ratifies-displayport-1-4-standard[/url<]

• Tirk

I personally like VA panels. I have a Samsung S34E790C (VA PANEL) and a ASUS MG279Q (IPS-type panel) and much prefer the contrast, much less backlight bleed, and color on the Samsung VA panel.

They are both good screens as the ASUS has a much higher refresh (144hz) and freesync (35-90Hz) but picture quality goes to the Samsung hands down. There is a small color shift when at off angles on the Samsung but it is very hard to tell unless you are looking for it. In fact I was at Fry’s and had to explain the color shift to the guy SELLING the monitor. I usually try to plug my ears as I walk by sales personnel in Fry’s or any computer store as they spout off selling points but have no idea what they are talking about. Unfortunately, the customers are eating up that garbage like their talking to some kind of expert. Some don’t like curved panels but the curved VA panels make it that much harder to notice any color shift or flattening and fit very well with the ultra wide screens. VA’s do seem to be limited on refresh rates however, so I’m not surprised at the 60Hz maximum for these new panels.

• cegras

VAs are amazing pieces of technology, but I actually don’t like them because they’re too good at showing contrast in black levels (BenQ owner here). I notice so much colour banding in games as a result of the developers probably reasoning that most monitors don’t have the same level of black level resolution as a VA panel.

• meerkt

Banding is the result of bad firmware, it’s not a problem inherent to VA or any other LCD tech.
        The problems with VA are usually: noticeable brightness increase on dark colors when watched from an angle, and maybe slow pixel response time on some transitions.

• Laykun

I think he’s referring to banding in dark regions of games due to poor colour precision in the game engine’s renderer, not that it’s a flaw with VA itself, rather that VA is so good that it shows these flaws in the renderer.

• meerkt

I think you’re right. Though these should be visible on IPS/TN as well, unless a specific monitor’s algorithms do something to make dissimilar colors look the same. Maybe just different gamma settings? I think LCDs should generally behave the same. It’s not like the move from CRT to LCD that did brighten up dark areas quite a lot, and so exposed existing artifacts.

But calling VA “so good” is an exaggeration. VA still clearly suffers from all the problems of LCD. Bad blacks, bad viewing angles, possibly also bad pixel response time. It just changes the specific mixture of mediocre and bad. 🙂

• Tirk

Hmm I haven’t noticed bad color banding in videogames, although maybe you play different games than I do.

I’d think the place you might notice color banding the most is in a media production environment as your probably working with much more color gradients than normally seen in a video-game. When I went hunting for color banding to see how bad it was on the screen I noticed it more on a still image vs. video. But like I said in my previous post, I really only noticed those cons when I went hunting for it.

Could it be a problem with the BenQ screen? I’ve noticed they seem to have comparatively higher refresh rates on their panels than competitors but their image quality tends to not be as good from my experience.

Go to [url=http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php<]http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php[/url<] It might just be that your particular model sucks. I have VA's here at work that don't band and IPS that do.

• Kretschmer

Do we know what their adaptive sync range is? With a 60Hz cap, the minimum adaptive sync refresh better be 20hz or 25Hz or it’ll never kick in.

• DrDominodog51

How does the color stack up in comparison to Dell professional monitors?

• Hattig

Yay, 27″ 1080p monitors :/

Yay, monitors without DisplayPort.

Nice curves though.

• Meadows

For what it’s worth, they let you sit a healthier distance away from the monitor, which incidentally might be good for you if you’re a designer staring at it 12 hours a day. But arguably the 23.5 inch version is still a better fit for this kind of screen.

• morphine

Not sure if a curved monitor is going to work all that well for a designer.

A straight line will… not be.

• Meadows

Possibly, but I haven’t tried one in action. It’s also possible that your eye adjusts to it in relatively little time. More importantly, the curvature only affects the horizontal axis of the image and design programs always have ways to set lines at particular angles, so it’s potentially a non-issue.

It’s just that I can’t see a monitor like this pitched to gamers when it’s limited to 60 Hz but boasts >100% of the sRGB space.