Acer XB321HK display blends 4K, G-Sync, and IPS in a 32″ vista

27" 4K monitors are all the rage these days, but it's rare to see a less-dense 30" or 32" 4K display. Acer's 32" Predator XB321HK could be just the thing for people who don't want to deal with the itty-bitty pixels of 27" 4K panels. Not only is the XB321HK a big 4K display, its IPS panel is driven by Nvidia's G-Sync variable-refresh-rate technology.

Acer says that panel can display 1.07 billion colors. It's also specified for a 4ms response time, a maximum brightness of 350 cd/m2, and a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz. The XB321HK is available now on Newegg for $1300.

Why so expensive? Seriously!

[url=http://www.panelook.com/M320QAN01.0_AUO_32.0_LCM_overview_20790.html<]That panel[/url<] is nothing special and the firmware/G-Sync module can't add [i<]that[/i<] much to the price. The AOC U3277PQU has the exact same panel and that's a £500 screen which translates to about $700. Why does the price almost double just to get G-Sync FFS? BOOO! G-Sync markup nGREEDia etc.

• ChronoBodi

Not even the AOC, but the $900 price difference between the Crossover 324k and this Acer XB321HK.

The panel as I see on my Crossover is pretty much perfect, so the panel is probably a very good A- or average A grade panel compared to the A+ panel in the Acer, which mind you, the difference is negligible in real-world use.

And of course, the stand is obviously better on the Acer, there’s only a flat short stand with a very stiff tilt function on the Crossover, but, hey for $430 its good though. As for build quality, it’s definitely not as refined, but its still good plastic/metal on it. It does have an comically over sized Power LED light on it as big as your thumb, but other than that, it’s great.

So really, the AOC 4K monitor, for its Gsync and everything else, the price should be more like $650ish or so, $1300 is such a massive markup it’s ridiculous, and even more so when I mention the following:

There is an interesting thing to note of the recent Korean 4K monitors apparently: The Crossovers and the Wasabi Mangos share a common silicon/firmware, and the Wasabi Mangos, at least the one mentioned in this PCPER review received a Freesync update through firmware:
      [url<]http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Wasabi-Mango-UHD420-42-4K-FreeSync-and-HDMI-20-800[/url<] So, maybe the Crossover 324K might be Freesync-capable, who knows? Again, G-sync is too much of a mark-up at this point and I refuse to buy any variable refresh monitor until both AMD/Nvidia GPUs can work on it.

• ChronoBodi

First time post here, but, I hate to be that guy to say this:

You can get 4K 32inch panel for a lot less, and yes, a Korean Monitor.

It’s the Crossover 324K:
    [url<]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-CrossOver-324K-UHD-32-3840x2160-60Hz-2-0-HDMI-DP-Monitor-Remote-/331754747611?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368[/url<] for $430ish, it's a dammmnnnn steal compared to the $1300 Acer above it. Yea yea yea, no Gsync, but I don't want to be locked in to any GPU vendor's tech yet. On the other hand, $430! I know for sure the Crossover 324k uses an AU Optronics AHVA ips-like panel, not to be confused with VA, AHVA is pretty much AU Optronics's IPS tech like how Samsung is PLS and LG is IPS, and so on. I type on this monitor right now and it's a beautiful thing to behold. Just think, $430 used to be for 27 inch 1440p monitors, now it's for 32inch 4k! Well, ok, some decent 1440p monitors used to be $400ish, but nowadays that's around $200 to $300 on the Korean monitor marketplace.

• modulusshift

Not to dispute that this is an amazing value, but AHVA is still VA, not IPS. That can be a good thing, clean refresh rates are important, but I’d be more impressed if either of these were north of 60 Hz.

I still think the monitor in this article is better, but I would be very, very hard pressed to say it’s 900 bucks better.

• RdVi

AHVA is nothing like MVA/AMVA which is what people are referring to when they say VA. AHVA is an IPS type technology.

[quote<]AU Optronics have invested in their own IPS-type technology since 2012, dubbed AHVA. This technology is designed by AU Optronics as another alternative to IPS. Confusingly the AHVA name makes it sound like it's a VA-type panel, which AU Optronics have been manufacturing for many years. It should not be confused with AMVA which is their current "true" VA technology produced.[/quote<] [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm[/url<]

Yeah, like RdVi says – you’re mistaken; The three [b<]I[/b<]n-[b<]P[/b<]lane [b<]S[/b<]witching technologies on the market are: LG.Philips = IPS (trademark) Samsung = PLS, they call it [b<]PL[/b<]ane [b<]S[/b<]witching. AUO = AHVA (Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle). They're all IPS technology. They just aren't specifically called IPS unless they're made by LG.Philips or under license from LG.Philips because they own the name.

• gerryg

Too bad about the G-sync. Maybe that’s why it’s so expensive.

• ozzuneoj

Call me back when someone figures out how to do variable refresh rates with low persistence.

I can’t imagine spending $1300 on a monitor specifically for gaming and having worse motion clarity than my 10 year old CRT.

• Airmantharp

I’d actually be worried about motion clarity on my 1600p monitor if it wasn’t already destroyed by tearing ;).

• Fieryphoenix

4k won’t be of interest to me for my PC until I can at least get 100 MHz. Which has to be reached both from the panel tech and the delivered frame rate, so I dunno… 2020?

• tay

MHz? 2200.

• southrncomfortjm

For that price, why not just go for a Predator X34 and get an ultrawide 1440p monitor with G-sync and 100hz refresh rate?

Is there really a massive *noticeable* difference between 1440p and 4K? I mean, I can get really close to my Predator X34 and I can’t see a pixel, so how could 4K do better than what are already invisible pixels?

• Anovoca

I personally prefer 1440p over 4k due to the performance gains and the current state of UI scaling.

• MathMan

If you’re going to buy only one monitor for both gaming and work, this one could be it. Compared to a 34″ 3440×1440, a 4K 32″ is heaven for professional work.

• southrncomfortjm

Eh, good point. I don’t have that perspective since my monitor is exclusively for gaming at which it excels.

• slowriot

I returned my 34″ ultrawide because of the frustration of getting games to work properly with the 21:9 aspect ratio. Many popular games out-right do not support it. Plus the uncertainty for competitive games such as MOBAs (or FPS or RTS or etc.) where the 21:9 aspect ratio would provide a competitive advantage over the vast majority of the player base on 16:9.

That said, I wouldn’t buy this XB321HK either but in my experience there’s a lot of reasons not to go ultrawide right now.

• trek205

good to see someone finally being honest. there are actually idiots out there that claim they have no issues and that all games work fine in 21:9. and even most reviews just brush over the fact that you will be having to tweak most games and even then there will still be issues that cant be fully fixed. some games zoom in, some cut off top and bottom, some just stretch, some have hud issues, some have screwed up menus, most have cutscene issues and some wont even run in 21:9 at all. I thought it was a nightmare for the the few weeks that I had to deal with it and was glad to go back to 16:9.

and I am also sick of the high refresh nonsense claims too. although not nearly as big an issue as 21:9, there are many games that do not support more than 60 hz and/or have issues even if you can force a higher refresh rate.

• kamikaziechameleon

Am I the only one who’d love to see a 40″ 21:9 4k or 5k IPS running Gsync and such…

Better yet, OLED! oh boy we are in a golden age to say such things and not be crazy.

• drfish

Pfft, 5K.

/me goes back to playing Stardew Valley at 6880×2880 w/ DSR.

• southrncomfortjm

That would be a $2500-$3000 monitor. Beautiful I’m sure, but wow that would be one expensive monitor.

• xeridea

At that price, the GPU vendor lock would be extreme.

• kamikaziechameleon

This is the most appealing option in a while. A 40″ option would be premium!