World Math Day Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. VideoCardz: AMD could unveil more details about Polaris and R9 Fury X2 this Thursday
  2. WCCFtech: AMD silently launches Radeon R7 350 2GB graphics card with Cape Verde XTL core—launch exclusive to APAC markets
  3. VideoCardz: AMD looking into external GPU standardization
  4. Neowin: Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 build 10586.122 for PCs, bringing huge range of improvements
  5. Phil Spencer of Microsoft's PC plans: "I wouldn't say our strategy is to unify" – PC Gamer
  6. GamingBolt: The Division's PC trailer shows off Nvidia GameWorks
  7. Gamepur: Microsoft hints DX12 support coming to Rise of the Tomb Raider soon, build showed at XB spring event running in DirectX 12
  8. WCCFtech: AMD / Nvidia users beware, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is ultimately broken on PC

World Math Day

1. Cryptography pioneers receive ACM A.M. Turing Award
  2. Fudzilla: PCs can do more than Macs
  3. DigiTimes: TSMC to double 16nm chip production, says report
  4. AnandTech: BaseMark announces the Power Assessment Tool (PAT)
  5. WinBeta: Latest Windows 10 Redstone builds finally start seeing UI improvements
  6. Linux 4.5-rc6
  7. SMITE dev: We're locked @30FPS on consoles because of technical issues, but 60FPS might happen
  8. PlayStation Blog: PS4 3.50 system software update—key features detailed
  9. Polygon: Uncharted 4 delayed again, coming to PS4 in May
  10. VR-Zone: Asus comes up with exclusive Far Cry Primal graphics card bundle
  11. Report on Reddit: Doom 2016 on WINE
  12. Newegg's deals

Hardware

1. KitGuru's Dell Inspiron 15 7559 4K laptop review
  2. TechSpot's 14" MSI GS40 Phantom 6QE review
  3. OCinside's ASRock X99 WS-E/10G motherboard unboxing video
  4. TweakTown on Patriot's 256GB Supersonic Magnum 2 flash drive
  5. TWL's Synology DS416j NAS review
  6. TweakTown on TP-LINK Touch P5 touchscreen AC1900 wireless router
  7. TweakTown's Far Cry: Primal PC performance analysis with various AMD + Nvidia GPUs
  8. Tech ARP's Sony FDR-X1000V 4K action camera review
  9. Hardware Asylum on Creative's Sound BlasterX H5 headset
    • sweatshopking

GUIZE, IT IS TIME TO UPDATE YOUR CUBAN SERVERS. TAKES FOREVER TO LOAD!

• chuckula

OMG! YOU KILLED CASTRO!

[url<]http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/americas/cuba-ramon-castro-dies/[/url<]

• Unknown-Error

Math, my favorite subject! Don’t know why some people are so afraid of it. In contrast I was terrified when came to heavy memorizing. Things like literature, Social/Political/Legal subjects, etc.

• ronch

NERD!!!

• Goofus Maximus

Math seemed to require lots of heavy memorizing when I did it. I’d go so far as to say Memorization in Mathematics is Axiomatic. Get it? Axioms? HAHAHAHAhahahahaha… ha…

Okay, that was nerd-humor at it’s nerdiest, I will admit… But seriously, math requires all sorts of memorization, all the way from your basic multiplication tables and aforementioned axioms, all the way through brain-bending geometry and trigonometry, to calculus and beyond.

Get it? Calculus, going “to infinity”, and beyond? Nerdish Puntificator strikes again!!!!

• Unknown-Error

Got ya nerdi puns 😀

PS:

Memorizing equations, theorems, etc was minuscule. Compare that to memorizing pages of poems and other literature related stuff! Memorizing historical stuff during history class! Memorizing local and international legal and other jargon during social studies! Those things terrified me. They were also really tedious. Solving a complex industrial math problem can give you major headaches but it was also very fulfilling for me.

The end result of that was me moving away humanities, and even science fields like Biology.

So, my path was: Math -> Physical science -> Computer Science. And, I don’t think I regret my decision.

• TheMonkeyKing

RE: “Neowin: Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 build 10586.122 for PCs, bringing huge range of improvements”

So what did Win10 uninstall this time? Is SPECCY still on their naughty list?

• Klimax

IIRC last few upgrades didn’t remove latest version of Speccy. This time as well.

• south side sammy

Phil Spencer/Microsoft…………. missed the part where they talked about Gears of War and how bad it is because it was rush released and it DOESN’T EVEN WORK ON PC!!!!

Welcome to the world of the “new” kimdotcom.

so if I had read further down before this reply I would have seen it…… it still sucks./ The new “EA”………. LOL

sitting here thinking, the best thing that could happen is if we go back to the “olden” days where you got your disc, went home and installed the game, maybe went to look for a patch, and then you played the game with no outside interference,. Why we need the net I’ll never understand………….$$$$$

• ClickClick5

I use to make disc backups of all the patches for my games. A patch disc of sorts. Once a year, the disc would be updated lol.

• nanoflower

Yes, I can’t believe Quantum Break is going to stream the videos in the games instead of allowing you to install them on your PC. So every time you have to be connected to the Internet to play the game even though it’s single player and you will be eating up a lot of bandwidth as they said the reason they won’t include the videos with the game is because they are so large. For me, being on Comcast and with a monthly bandwidth limit, that puts the game off limits.

• Srsly_Bro

I turn off the steam overlay and all connections to the outside world when I play skyrim and fallout 4

• Liron

To be fair, in the olden days, you’d get a disk, go home, installed it, and it just wouldn’t play at all, or it wouldn’t have sound, or someone’s mouth would appear on the left side of the screen, or the game would crash when you tried to solve the final puzzle. And if you couldn’t reconfigure your memory or audio ports in the autoexec.bat and config.sys, it was even worse.

• south side sammy

boy, I’m glad i stayed sober and didn’t do drugs now……………….

• Platedslicer

Fudzilla: PCs can do more than Macs

Revelation of the decade right there! I’m sure people will stop buying Macs after this!

• Srsly_Bro

There needs to be an “anything you can do I can do better” musical piece feat. Mac and PC guy

• blastdoor

It looks like the story is about the new Windows 10 ad campaign.

Apple has managed to do something with the Mac that Microsoft has been unable to do with Windows Phone — carve out a profitable niche, despite disadvantages in economies of scale and the size of the third-party software selection.

But still… I think Apple needs to up its game with the Mac. Mac marketshare has grown enough to give Apple enough traction to expand the reach of the platform. I don’t think it makes sense to cut prices. Instead, I think Apple should target additional high-end markets that the Mac currently does not serve well. Specifically:

1. Go after the market that NeXT originally targeted — the high-end, personal workstation market, particularly at research universities. Right now the only “pro” users Apple targets are people who use Adobe products and FCP. I think Apple should also go after the users of software like R, Mathematica, Matlab, and AutoCad. Many of those products do exist for the Mac, but Apple tends to ignore that segment. Just sell a Mac Pro with two CPU sockets, for goodness sake!

2. Make the Mac more game friendly. Clearly “gamers” are not going to leave Windows for the Mac any time soon. But there are plenty of professionals who also like playing games — it would be good to increase the appeal of the platform to those folks. And longer term, maybe the Mac could become a more viable competitor for people who buy computers primarily for gaming.

These things just are not that hard. Apple should really do them.

• davidbowser

I had to read it twice just to make sure I wasn’t missing some secret info!

• ronch

Oh no!!!!! NOT WORLD MATH DAY!!!!!

• Srsly_Bro

With no child left behind repealed, the children are doomed!

I must conclude that for every down-thumb, at least one tr poster was left behind. Those children failed not only in math, but in sarcasm.

• blastdoor

From the TSMC 16nm story:

[quote<]Apple, Xilinx, MediaTek, HiSilicon, Spreadtrum and Nvidia are reportedly among TSMC's major 16nm customers.[/quote<] MediaTek on 16nm can mean only one thing -- more cores.

• chuckula

You misspelled MOAR COARZ.

• zalbard

No mention of AMD?

Edit: it appears AMD will utilise Samsung’s fabs: [url<]http://www.techpowerup.com/218578/samsung-to-fab-amd-zen-and-arctic-islands-on-its-14-nm-finfet-node.html[/url<]

• chuckula

There has been talk that at least some versions of Polaris will be made by GloFo instead of TSMC. As for CPUs, AMD has historically relied on GloFo and I don’t think Zen will be different.

• ronch

GF to AMD: WSA or one-time charge. Take your pick.

• blastdoor

Yup…. so let’s see, what did we learn from the comparison of Apple A9s on both Samsung and TSMC processes? I seem to recall that the Samsung process was a little more dense, but maybe the TSMC process had slightly better performance/watt?

So… maybe AMD’s GPUs will have more transistors but run at a somewhat lower clock speed?

Or maybe these differences are too small to be noticeable with all the other factors in play…