Origin PC Chronos joins in the small-form-factor fun

Look who's just joined 2016's mini-computer party. Origin PC has announced its Chronos mini-PC, which packs a respectable amount of firepower in a small ammo belt. Check out the presentation video.

The Chronos is quite small, measuring 11.8" x 4" x 13.8" (W x H x D)—or 30 cm x 10 cm x 35 cm—which works out to a total volume of 10.7 liters. The small size belies the system's strength, though. Origin says the Chronos can take in full-length graphics cards as powerful as a GeForce GTX Titan Z, a range of CPUs from Intel's Haswell-E or Skylake families that tops out with the Core i7-5960X, and as much as 32GB of RAM. An Origin Frostbyte 120 closed-loop liquid cooler keeps those chips chilly. Choices for power supplies include several units up to 850W.

Origin's storage options offer plenty of variety, too. Users can fit up to four 2.5" drives, a 3.5" HDD, and a PCIe M.2 SSD in the Chronos. There's an optical drive thrown in for good measure, too.

The Chronos comes with detachable magnetic feet and a rotating backlit logo, which allow it to be placed in horizontal, vertical, or upside-down orientation. Lighting options include red, blue, or green LEDs, or a remote-controlled multi-LED system. Prices start at $1,440 for a Chronos with a Z170 motherboard, a Core i5-6500, a GeForce GTX 950, 8GB of RAM, and a 120GB SSD.

• Zaphod1066

[quote<]Prices start at [b<]$1,440[/b<] for a Chronos with a [b<]Z170 motherboard, a Core i5-6500, a GeForce GTX 950, 8GB of RAM, and a 120GB SSD[/b<][/quote<] Damn, I know the boutique guys like to turn the screws but that seems like a genuinely obscene asking price for a build with those components.

• iBend

even with that design, I wont pay more than 1grand.. (we can even built i7+GTX980 rig for that price, lol)
      but maybe that PC isnt for people like me.. I prefer 1SSD + 4HDD, not 4SSD+1HDD

• LightenUpGuys

Origin makes some of the best looking prebuilts.

• paulsz28

Where is the power supply?

• iBend

right behind frontal red logo

• YukaKun

Bad try. It needs more frontal USB ports. Hell, it needs more USB ports, period.

CM Elite 361 + front panels for me is the real deal for close-to SFF.

Cheers!

Looks like there’s a window blocking the GPU intake.

I get that having the GPU fan directly accessing outside air also means that the fan noise escapes, but the outside air means that the fan can spin 10dBA quieter, which is way way preferable not just in terms of noise but also cooling headroom for higher GPU boost clocks?

Or does Origin not care about performance?

• Voldenuit

There’s intake holes right in front of the GPU.

Not sure how much air it would draw in though, since it’s fairly small. I’m guessing the radiator fan is set up to make the inside a negative pressure case.

The way nvidia reference coolers work, those intake holes are actually exactly where the reference cooler [i<]exhausts[/i<] If that's a negative pressure case, you'll actually have a dead spot there where the GPU cooler exhaust counteracts the intake. /facepalm

• Voldenuit

[quote<]The Chronos comes with detachable magnetic feet and a rotating backlit logo[/quote<] Wait, isn't their logo a circle? /Mind blown. What a world we live in!

• NTMBK

[quote<]There's an optical drive thrown in for good measure, too.[/quote<] Doing it right.

• DragonDaddyBear

I thought ITX cases were cool until I built one. I am out of USB ports and my desk is littered with external peripherals that there used to be room for in my case.

• DreadCthulhu

I am going to agree with you – mini cases look cool, but unless you go to LAN parties all the time they are pretty pointless. If you have room for a big monitor & desk, you have room for at least a microATX case, and that just makes everything easier and cheaper to build.

Even for my HTPC I ended up using a full-size case I had lying around. I even managed to make it appealing to my wife – I put the computer in the crawl space under the TV, and drilled a small hole in the floor behind the TV stand to run an HDMI & USB cable; plugged a hub into the cable, and a wireless KB/M dongle into the hub and I was good to go. 😉

Seeing the same thing, and it’s definitely the case’s fault. I have unused USB2.0 headers that could be used for some of this USB stuff I have, and it’s not like a pair of USB 2.0 ports use a ton of room..

• Voldenuit

[quote<]I like how little space is wasted, though. If it were less colorful I could see it as an HTPC.[/quote<] Stick it behind your TV. Voila! Discount bias lighting! :p

• Deanjo

That’s one fugly system.

The red is a little much, but I don’t know that I’d call it fugly.

• ImSpartacus

It’s kind of a lot much. I can see it being a breaker for some.

There are a lot of other options out there.

Yeah, I can see how it’s not to everyone’s taste. It’s downright subdued for an [url=https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/genesis/<]Origin PC[/url<], though. hehe

• Deanjo

It is fugly and looks like the “dime a dozen” cheap no name itx cases.

Maybe you’re not familiar with how pre-built “gaming” desktops work, but that’s kind of par for the course. There are about 50 different versions of the same Silverstone case (Newegg retail of under $80 USD for most of them) that seem to match this one, other than the window. Slap a logo and some LEDs in there and you’ve got yourself a pre-built system.

• Deanjo

If that is what a Silverstone is now, man have they gone downhill.

• Voldenuit

This is not a [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=503<]Silverstone ML07[/url<] or [url=http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607<]ML08[/url<]. The DVD drive is on a different side, the GPU mounting is on the opposite face, and the external dimensions don't match.

Well, my bad. Also worth noting: both of those cases are far uglier than the Origin.

• Voldenuit

Haha true indeed. Though I think the ML07 is a little less fugly.