Corsair releases a duo of 80 Plus Gold SFX PSUs

There's no shortage of choice today when it comes to ATX power supplies, but the same can't be said for the diminutive SFX form factor. Fans of smaller rigs should be pleased to hear that Corsair has released two new itty-bitty SFX PSUs for consideration: the 450-watt SF450 and the 600-watt SF600. Both units are fully modular and 80 Plus Gold certified. Most importantly, they each use relatively large 92mm fans that can stop spinning at low loads.

Both units are conservatively styled. They feature a black exterior with white accents, flat cables, and a gray 92mm fan. The fan's speed is tied to the power output of the PSU. On the SF450, the fan stops spinning at 90 watts of power ouptut, while the SF600 fan stops at 120 watts. While one shouldn't count on running Crysis 3 in silence, the fan should prove to be quiet or silent at idle. Below is Corsair's fan noise curve for the SF600.

Each unit includes one 20+4 pin ATX connector, one 4+4 pin EPS connector, four SATA connectors on one cable, and a single molex connector for good measure. For the more ambitious, Corsair includes not one but two PCIe 6+2 connectors. Corsair also points out that the units feature 100% Japanese capacitors.

The SF450 carries a suggested price of $89.99 and is available now. Corsair says the SF600 will be available soon at a suggested price of $119.99. Both units come with seven-year warranties.

• EndlessWaves

I see they’ve hidden the efficiency graph below 10%. I wonder how inefficient they get at everyday power consumption levels.

80 Plus Gold certification doesn’t require it: [url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus[/url<]

Yessss!

One of the things holding back the adoption of smaller mITX cases is the lack of decent SFX PSU options out there. More can’t hurt.

• CheetoPet

More SFX power supplies == more interesting tiny cases

• EndlessWaves

I’d rather see the smallest PSU form factor in the ATX standard become more popular. FlexATX is 2/3 the size and a much more sensible shape for fitting into tiny cases than the short, fat SFX.

• jensend

Aren’t Flex ATX PSUs always cooled by one whiny 40mm fan? And while there are a lot of SFX PSUs now that spend most of their time in passive mode, wouldn’t it be hard to do a passive mode for Flex ATX given how tightly packed the components are (no airflow, no room for heatsink)? Doesn’t sound like a great deal to me.

SFX seems like a reasonable form factor to me, and I’d like to see more small cases designed for it rather than ATX. But beyond that, rather than focusing on tinier AC-DC internal PSUs I wish people would formulate standards for DC-DC internal PSUs and external AC-DC power bricks, and start designing microATX and miniITX cases with such PSUs in mind. I guess Intel has addressed this for mini-STX, but that form factor is really really restrictive.

My present build uses a 160W PicoPSU, and it’s worked out well. (It’s microATX; I probably should have gone miniITX but I was too attached to old habits of planning for expansion that I’ll never use.) But there are some limitations and inconveniences related to the PSU and brick, and there are a lot more limitations because the case wasn’t designed for this. Even just getting a place for the DC in plug to anchor was a serious bother.

(In case someone’s curious about what kind of bother, I found some guy who was selling plastic SFX blanking plates with the proper mounting holes for the picopsu DC in- not cheap for a little square of plastic, since he does them by hand – and then do more dremeling and drilling to make it fit correctly in my case.)

A gold-rated, low-wattage PSU? Fully modular? Wish this thing had been available when I crammed my Skylake build into a mini-ITX case.

• crabjokeman

I know Seasonic used to design some Corsair PSU’s. Do they still do that and if so, are these designed by Seasonic?

• EzioAs

No, they are not.

You may be interested in this link:

[url<]http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm[/url<] These are made by Great Wall.

• nanoflower

I wonder if these will be the good Corsairs or the bad? Corsair sells some great PSUs but others are very poorly designed so there’s always that risk with a new design that it won’t be well made like the Channel Well Technology designed Gold certified PSUs they sell.

• psuedonymous

IIRC these PSUs are manufactured by Great Wall, but the design is under the supervision of JonnyGuru, who insisted on things like using all-Japanese capacitors. I doubt they’d have any severe deficiencies.

• nanoflower

If JonnyGuru is in charge and allowed to specify what goes into the design of the PSUs then I agree there should be no issues with them.

• synthtel2

I had no idea JonnyGuru did design work, but if true, I think that’s about the highest recommendation there is for a PSU. Got a cite, by any chance?

• Shobai

[upvote in hope of a cite]

• psuedonymous

Source: [url<]http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=120162&postcount=12[/url<] (plus a bunch of other posts in the Corsair forums: [url<]http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=151742)[/url<]

• synthtel2

Thanks! Finally looks like another trustworthy SFX PSU. 😀

• Voldenuit

I’ve had both Seasonic (520HX) and CWT (CX500M) Corsair PSUs and they’ve both run like champs. If anything, around the timeframe of the HX series, the comparable CWT units (I think they were VS), were tested to have less voltage fluctuation under load than the seasonic-made HXes, which were based on older models.

I’d have no problem running a CWT unit in my machine (yes, there have been some recalls, but so have seasonic units).

• vargis14

JonnyGuru is and will continue to be my one stop to check on what PSU I or anyone’s PC I am building or suggesting what PSU to use in any particular Build.

I do not think anyone is a thorough as him since he disassembles every PSU and scrutinizes every detail…..heck reading his review made me Disassemble my brand new TX850 to make sure all the screws were tight.

• Aquilino

There are only two more players that do great reviews besides the Wolf:
        -CRMaris, from TechPowerUp. Superb ones.
        -Gabriel, from Hardware Secrets. Very educational. Although sadly, he stopped doing them some time ago.

There are also very exhaustive reviews from HardOCP, but man, they are hard to read. And I’m not just talking about the black and white text combination.

• Khali

I avoid the Corsair lottery by just using Seasonic every time. No muss no fuss. I know I am getting a good quality PSU.