Blizzard releases 1.14a update for Diablo II

Stay awhile and listen. Blizzard has released a patch for… Diablo II. That's right, sixteen years after its release, the game is still being actively supported. The latest update, version 1.14a, improves compatibility with modern systems. On the Windows side, the game now has native support for Windows 7 and above. Mac gamers ought to be happy, too, as the new version includes an OS X installer that supports OS X versions 10.10 and 10.11.

That's not all, though. Blizzard also says it's "begun working to improve [its] cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilites." This should be welcome news for those tired of joining games with more farming bots than people. It doesn't look like this will be the final update to Diablo II, either—the dev team says that "the journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there." Blizzard also says there "is still a large Diablo II community around the world." That should come as no surprise. According to NPD, back in 2010 the Diablo Battle Chest was still among the 10 top-selling games.

While we're the topic of ARPGs, I've been hooked on Grim Dawn lately, which is totally worth your money and time. It's me-approved, so you should go check it out.

• lilbuddhaman

No mention of Path of Exile? Come on guys. You gone casual no me?

• Meadows

Tried it a few years ago (open beta I think?), and it was bad. If my issues below have remained, then it is still bad today.

On the one hand, it tries too hard to look like Diablo 2 in several ways, such as the forced isometric view everywhere, the ugly block-like map construction, and the terrible running dynamics. Also, the view is too close to your character, so your field of vision is rather narrow.

On the other hand, it desperately tries to play like anything *but* Diablo 2, resulting in absurdly low playstyle variety and almost certain irritation. I mean, the gems in your gear determine your available skills? Seriously? Who greenlighted that crap? And even if you buy into that stuff, [i<]changing[/i<] your skills becomes both cost- [i<]and[/i<] time-prohibitive, as previously unused gems remain a lower level until you start using them. I'm sorry but the game simply does not cut it for today's gaming landscape. It wasn't even made for today's landscape, it's a forced attempt at nostalgia and contrived difficulty.

• lilbuddhaman

Absolutely none of this is accurate to the current game, and most of it not accurate to the open beta you played previously (had you gone past the low end leveling content).

You are speaking on all the complaints of an aforementioned casual trying to pick up what is a pretty deep game.

If anyone is interested in a more involved ARPG, try path out. If you’re someone who wants to jump in for 30min and “feel powerful” stick to D3.

[quote<]I'm sorry but the game simply does not cut it for today's gaming landscape. It wasn't even made for today's landscape, it's a forced attempt at nostalgia and contrived difficulty.[/quote<] FYI: Today's gaming landscape kinda blows.

• adampk17

How many people have given Blizzard $10 to buy this game again as a result of this post and the fact that their copy of D2 on disc can no longer be found?

I make one.

• SoM

not me, i still have the original and expansion installed on a different drive, i also play Eastern Sun MOD

• LoneWolf15

You know, I’d buy Diablo and Diablo II all over again if Blizzard re-released them with updated graphics. Say, DirectX 9-10 level.

I still play Warcraft 2 occasionally on my laptop running Windows 7. That has totally stood the test of time.

• auxy

I loved Diablo II once upon a time; I installed it recently in a bout of nostalgia and now I find the game design hopelessly dated and boring. So much RNG everywhere! Little-to-no player skill involved!

There are still a lot of things I love about the game; the visual style is still incredible after all these years, and Matt Uelmen’s incredible soundtrack of course, but it’s hard to appreciate those when I’m nearly dying due to circumstances completely out of my control.

I realize there are gamers who like that kind of thing, but I’m more of a new-school gamer in that regard; I [b<]do not[/b<] like RNG-heavy mechanics, particularly in real-time games. Oh well, another game lost to the ages for auxy. ( ;βˆ€;)

• Krogoth

RNG is still king in any RPG since 1980s.

There is a ton of skill in Diablo 2 especially if you want to play at Hell difficulty without dying like a redshirt.

• mkk

Quite possibly the best game Blizzard will ever have made, allround gaming quality aspects considered. I would concede that the cheating could be considered a serious flaw, but I’d wager that for by far most players the fact that others cheat doesn’t really matter at all.

• Arxor

What I want to know is, when are they going to refresh Warcraft II?

It runs fine for me on Windows 10 (War2BNE, anyway), but is impossibly stretched. I haven’t yet tried running it in a smaller resolution VM yet, but might.

So I reinstalled last night. Working on a zookeeper necromancer. A couple thoughts:

-omg I have to click each item and gold individually??!
    -I can’t play online due to a “key in use” error, documented in the blizzard forums.
    -D3 in its current state is more polished, but vanilla D3 in 2012 not so much.
    -holy crap it’s still fun.

• Krogoth

Yes, it isn’t really that bad either.

Dropped gold is kinda of a joke in D2. The big money is in class-specific items like Scepters, Wands, Staves. Anything that provides a large amount of defense brings in bank.

When I play at nightmare and hell difficulty. I don’t even bother with anything less than Yellow unless it is a rune.

I know where the money is but if you’re starting fresh it’s worth picking up gold. At this point I’m level 15.

• Krogoth

Even starting at early levels. Dropped gold is kinda of a joke. You most of your revenue from picking up magical items.

Other thoughts:

-shared stash in D3 is awesome
      -bigger stash in D3 is also awesome
      -path finding on minions is for the birds
      -still fun but D3:RoS is better in just about every way.

• Meadows

Just one question: have they ever fixed the one technical issue I used to hate most in D2? Talking about “lost” item drops when a flying monster dies outside of map bounds.

• Krogoth

Never seen that one happen before and I spend hundreds of hours on Diablo 2. There are only a handful of monsters that can “fly” in Diablo 2’s bestiary. The only map where I could see it happening is the Kurast Servers where some bat may die (via poison or some offensive aura) going into to area that marked “inaccessible”. It isn’t a big deal anyway since all of the good loot comes from locked chests, uniques or champions.

The bug is rarer than a pre-1.13 Zod rune so I doubt Blizzard will go out of its way to fix it.

• Meadows

You go [b<]far[/b<] out of your way to try and prove everyone wrong. The "bug" as you called it is not that rare and it's trivial to reproduce. Had you really played "hundreds" of hours you would've already seen it two or three times like I have. Also, who says these types of monsters can't be uniques or champions? They can be, and occasionally they will be. I'd like to make it clear that I don't care too much anymore, since modern hack&slash games (including Diablo 3) no longer suffer from these kinds of oddities. My guess is they're not going to fix it now but you never know.

• thecoldanddarkone

no 8 man PVP

Not a drawback for me as it is for some.

• thecoldanddarkone

That’s fair, but for me, pvp 4 on 4’s or free for all, was my favorite part about d2. When d3 came out I was, well crushed (well it’s a videogame, so not that crushed lol).

• Meadows

The lack of pvp is an unseemly omission in D3 though, but I agree that open world griefing is not exactly the mode I’d like. I think the game could potentially benefit from something like battlegrounds though, separate maps where teams of 2-8 fight over some sort of central objective for a horadric cache or something.

Well that would be fun, but pvp in D2 sucked and its absence from D3 didn’t make D3 worse.

• thecoldanddarkone

I can understand how people didn’t like it. Body poppers, griefing, etc. The good thing, most of that was fixed. If you found a good group it was pretty fun.

• Meadows

No it didn’t, but just because something is “not bad” doesn’t mean it couldn’t (or shouldn’t) be improved further.

What if I don’t want pointless leaderboards where all I can do is beat my friends’ greater rift times? What if instead I want to beat their nephalem faces into luxurious pulp using that new item I found the day before?

I already said your idea sounded fun so what more do you want? Holy crap.

• Wesmo

Grim Dawn is awesome; haven’t played it since beta21 when my kb broke on my old notebook – re-installing on the new notebook now.

• Star Brood

Yay! I hope they will get to WarCraft 3 soon. The fact it can’t be installed on OS X and causes blackouts (for me) on Windows 10 has been a bummer. Best game to mod of all time.

• Krogoth

It is because WC3 is a a DX7-era game and I don’t think Blizzard has made an OGL render for it yet.

WDDM is really meant for DX9 and above. Anything that requires anything pre-DX9 calls is a hit or miss.

The OS X version works with OpenGL on an Intel Mac if you can get it installed and patched, but the installer and the unpatched installation is PPC-only. Shouldn’t be hard for Blizzard to get it fixed on the Mac.

• jihadjoe

WC3 has had an OGL mode from day one.

Edit: Just start the program with the -opengl switch to use.
        “C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe” -opengl

• SomeOtherGeek

Just ran it to see if that was true. Yep, still works. Have Win10, so… Maybe something needs to be tweaked or something. I don’t about DX7 like Mr Pessimist says, but…

EDIT: Try the Compatibility Troubleshooter in Property…

• nanoflower

March 15th your prayers are answered when the patch for WC3 arrives.

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBPaj4o5KY[/url<]

• Star Brood

Yep, I just found out about it today on hive workshop. Exciting times! If I don’t have to do all my testing on my painfully-slow netbook anymore, I will be a happy camper.

• Starfalcon

Man, this makes me feel old, I remember when this came out, both D2 and Icewind dale, couldn’t decide between them so I got both. Best purchases ever.

• Anovoca

looks like they removed the stand-alone character files. Must be what they meant by taking measures to reduce hacking.

• Krogoth

Actually, any pre-1.13 character/save isn’t compatible with 1.13 and newer.

1.13 completely revamps everything that came in before it. It was the beta-test for Diablo 3 gameplay mechanics at the time.

• Anovoca

um, okay?

I don’t know what that has to do with what I said, I never brought up pre 1.13 characters. I was talking about the 1.14 patch and that there are no more character or map files that are commonly manipulated/hacked through hero and map editor programs, instead these files are hidden and thus more tamper proof.

• Krogoth

Diablo 1.14 just moved the save directory over to “%SystemRoot%\Users\(Your user account)\Save Games\Diablo II” under a NT 6.x install (Windows Vista-10).

Just copy and paste the contents of your old save directory into it.

• Anovoca

ah, see now you are speaking my language.

• BobbinThreadbare

That’s pretty cool support right there.

Reminds me the devs who made Commandos updated it recently so it runs properly on Win10 machines. Also very impressive.

• not@home

D2 is one of my favorite games, if not my favorite. I hope that when they say [quote<]the journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there[/quote<] they mean that they are going to port it to andriod. That would be the ultimate game for that platform IMHO.

• odizzido

D2 is better than D3 for sure.

• Meadows

By now that’s debatable.

• odizzido

yeah maybe. When I played it was at least.

• Kharnellius

Agreed. I’m REALLY enjoying how D3 plays currently.

• Krogoth

Nah, Diablo 2 is still better than Diablo 3.

Diablo 3 at launch completely alienated the Diablo 2 fanbase. The damage was so horrific that it took two years for Blizzard to make Diablo 3 feel and play like a Diablo game not a grimdark WoW-clone. WoW’s influences in art direction is there though.

Diablo 3 is now in acceptable status, but the damage done at launch still leaves die-hard Diablo 2 fans wary of it.

• Shobai

was about to correct ‘weary’ for ‘wary’, but perhaps both fit?

• Meadows

What does alienation have to do with how good a game is?

• Krogoth

For a sequel it matters a lot.

Diablo 3 at launch is was what happens if you let the executives at Activision-Blizzard call the shots. They tried to shove another WoW-clone onto a community that didn’t care for it. They just wanted an update on the Diablo franchise.

Just look at the massive backlash at happened at launch. The fans were so outraged that they went back to Diablo 2 or Torchlight. The Diablo 3 community was on ICU until version 2.0 came out which was a major step towards making Diablo 3 a Diablo game not a WoW-clone.

• Meadows

Point is, that was long ago and my first comment is true today.

• adampk17

If I remember correctly, D2 topped out at 800×600. I wonder if this patch helps with that.

• Krogoth

Since 1.13, you could go up to 1024×768 and there are third-party mods that go beyond that. πŸ˜‰

• adampk17

Oh, hi-rez. πŸ˜‰

• Krogoth

The only issue is that Sorceress’s Teleportation Skill is hard-capped at 800×600 as far as determining area where she can go. It was done intentionally for balance reasons.

• xyvyx

wow.. I think I still have the original CD & product key… or the box. Just need to find a working cd-rom drive now πŸ™‚

• DancinJack

Just download it from b.net

• albundy

ahhhh, the good ‘ol days when you actually owned a game that you could touch.

• HisDivineOrder

No, no, no.

It’s:

Schtaaay a why-iiile and lischen…”

• Waco

Ha, this is awesome. I have lots of fond memories of D2.

• the

I month ago I started playing again, working on recreating my melee sorceress who would transform into a bear. This game was (im)balanced in such a way that the unique builds always used attributes from other classes.

• Billstevens

tempted to do some baal runs and then race to pick up items old school.

This is…just what I don’t need. Another time sink. :p

• nanoflower

If you never reinstall the game you can’t sink much time into it. πŸ˜‰

I’m glad to see Blizzard putting work into a game that’s this old. I spent so many hours on D2 and the LOD expansion. I wonder if they plan on changing the game or adding to it when they talk about more coming later on? That might get me back into the game but I’m not sure if it would help sell enough new copies to make it worthwhile.

Too late.

• biffzinker

Same here, dug out the old cd jewel case for the product key. Download in progress from Battle.net

• chΒ΅ck

At first I thought an update for Diablo 3 was a non-news item.
    But then I realized it was for Diablo 2.

• Farting Bob

I probably gave 4 years of my life to Diablo 2, i still play it occasionally on singleplayer or private game online with friends. For a 16 year old game its pretty addictive still.