Night Dive shows off a first look at its System Shock remake

Late last year, we reported on the upcoming System Shock 3. It so happens that the original System Shock game from 1994 is being fully remade by Night Dive Studios, too. The first video footage of the new-old title has just been released. Take a look:

Methinks that looks creepy enough, in keeping with the atmosphere of the series. In an interview with Polygon, Night Dive Studios said it wants the player to feel even more isolated and alienated than in the 1994 original. The team says that '90s technology limited the immersion factor of the original game, and it wants to use today's technology to fix that perceived shortcoming.

Night Dive has also reached out to the systemshock.org modding community for feedback on the new title. The studio tells Polygon it's drawing inspiration from Dead Space and BioShock, and it's also working closely with Robb Waters, the concept artist for the original System Shock. In addition to the visual remastering, the game's user interface is undergoing a major overhaul to make it less of a point of contention than it was in the 1994 original. Don't fret about major storyline changes, though—the studio says the System Shock remake will follow the same plot as its forebear.

The studio has yet to make a decision on publishers and funding options for System Shock, although it's reportedly working with Microsoft to bring the remake to the Xbox One. The voice of SHODAN is expected to come to life again in 2017.

• Welch

Not that I’ve really jumped on this bandwagon before but… It seems like a lost oppertunity with a game like this not to do something with VR. I realize it is pre-alpha so maybe they will.

For anyone who was a fan of Doom 3, tell me you wouldn’t be ultra excited at the prospects of Doom 3 supporting current VR tech. Creep Factor 5000.

• Prion

I hope they can get some inspiration from Free Radical. Shows a lot of what the universe is capable of, in the vein of Neuromancer.

[url<]http://www.shamusyoung.com/shocked/[/url<]

• ronch

This is the game that might make me upgrade my rig.

• ronch

As a huge fan of System Shock 2 (not much of the original game) I just didn’t think of BioShock as the spiritual successor of SS. Yes it also has ‘shock’ in its name but being on a spaceship a bajillion miles in deep space doesn’t feel quite like being in an abandoned futuristic underwater city. Don’t get me wrong; BioShock was cool but looking out a window and seeing stars just feels a bit cooler to me.

• DoomGuy64

Dead Space was more of a real shock successor. It just didn’t have shodan.

• AdamDZ

I never played the first one but I have clear memories of System Shock 2. I usually don’t remember games unless they were really fun to play and had emotional impact on me.

• ronch

Yeah. I finished SS2 just 3 years ago. Gotta love the different levels of the Von Braun — Engineering, Medical, Hydroponics, Operations, Recreation, and other areas like the Rickenbacker. I keep my save game files and I sometimes just play by revisiting parts of the ship, drinking in the environment. Randomly spawned enemies keep you on your toes.

And if anyone is wondering why I finished it only recently, it’s because I accidentally deleted my save files back ~10-15 years ago and it was only when I tried playing it back in Q1 2013 (when I was finishing one game after another on my then-new FX) that I finished it.

• swaaye

The original System Shock is set on a space station. Seems more similar to Bioshock in that case eh? Bioshock is just a bit more……bizarre. On the other hand, System Shock has goofy cyberpunky music and colorful VR adventures so maybe not.

• swaaye

Those areas look almost exactly like prettier versions of the maps of the DOS game. I would have preferred something a bit more grand like a reimagining of the game.

Apparently there is a 3rd game in the works now. Maybe that will be more interesting.

• Meadows

I can’t be the only one who’s fatigued from the endless remakes, reboots, and other re’s of the game industry after the past several years.

Come on, it can’t be *that* hard to come up with an original game idea.

• BobbinThreadbare

Meadows is on point

Because I never played SS1 and I’m fickle enough to reject the idea now because it’s too dated.

I want widescreen support, high def graphics and an atmospheric soundtrack that increases the fear factor and apprehension.

What we had in 1994 was good for its time, but games have upped our standards and it hurts to go back too far unless you’re bouyed by nostalgia. Those of us who didn’t play it in 1994 don’t have nostalgia to fall back on and excuse the dated lack of atmosphere and the clunky, limited controls.

• Meadows

That is possibly the only use this may have, nevertheless one shouldn’t wish their studio to be known for remakes only. They will never get 100% of the street cred and they’ll eventually run out of games to update.

Pffft, who cares about the studio? If they get paid and enjoy doing the remake, everyone wins, right?

• Meadows

Point taken. I just don’t like seeing things that were “done before”, regardless of the fact I haven’t played SS1 either.

• bfar

This one’s one of the few worth doing, but point well made!

• EzioAs

I agree to a point. For remakes, all I want is old games to be patched so that it can run fluidly on modern hardware and OS, but I do prefer new IP.

However, maybe in terms of business and game development, maybe doing remakes is a good practice to save cost, idk.

• SomeOtherGeek

Totally agree.

• albundy

I’m mostly sick and tired of the lighting. Whats the point if you’re playing in mostly darkness? Setting the mood is one thing, but making most of the game this dark is extremely annoying, even more so than doom 3.

• auxy

You’re not alone in that feeling, but it’s less common than you might think.

If Night Dive took their expertise and skill and crafted a wholly new game with a new intellectual property and threw it on Steam, it would probably fail, because people have never heard of whatever it is and will gloss over it. “Meh, I don’t want to get involved in another series,” they think. It’s new-title-fatigue. A dozen new games come out on Steam every day and I don’t care to check them all out.

It’s a lot easier to generate buzz and hype when people have something to latch onto, something familiar. That’s why Bioshock was marketed as “the spiritual successor to system shock” even though it really didn’t have all that much in common.

Sure, it’s not hard to come up with an original game idea, especially if we’re talking about story, art, and setting. But all of those are secondary to the gameplay, and that’s much harder to innovate. If you’re not innovating in the gameplay, why not attach your derivative game to a known property?

• Meadows

You don’t have to innovate in gameplay all the time as long as you have a story worth telling or an environment worth exploring.

The stories here have already been told. Sure, a rerun might not hurt, Star Wars 7 style, but I’d still prefer something new.

• Lane

SS1 seems like a good choice for a remake though. It’s over 20 years old at this point… many people who have heard of it weren’t old enough to enjoy it at the time, and if they tried to do so today, the ancient presentation and control would turn them off quickly. But there is a solid core game there, with gameplay ideas and mechanics that developers still draw from today.

• Ruiner

Most excellent. I say this having recently finished and enjoyed the recent ‘remaster’.

• Sanctusx2

Not really getting why they are remaking System Shock 1? The second game is the one every knows and remembers. It’s hard to even say or read “System Shock” without mentally appending the “two.”

• Peldor

SS1 was the better game IMO even though the 3D game technology was terrible by even SS2 standards. The Many was kind of a poor hack to the storyline (no pun intended).

• Zyphos

I remember and enjoyed the first one more than the second. Though, I still liked the second. Just offering another opinion.

• ronch

I never got far in the first game because I just didn’t feel like playing it that much, but I’m a huge fan of the second game. I wish they made a remake of the second game instead. Still, this remake seems great, and maybe I’ll eventually play through the first game… with this remake.

• Umbral

About all that comes to mind about SS2 was the incredible sound design… and the horrible 3d models – they were barely better than sprites.

• Voldenuit

Eh, I found SS2 to be a bit underwhelming.

And the trailer for this remake looks… mehtastic.

I hope the devs took a look at Cryostasis for its ability to convey atmosphere and dread; even if the game itself was far from perfect.

• Lane

I liked both of them. SS2 gets a bit more love because it’s more recent and the mechanics aren’t as dated.

But I’m completely on board with a SS1 remake.

• Waco

YES! I hope it’s extremely successful, because a System Shock 2 remake, followed by a System Shock 3 new release, would make my day/month/year for gaming. 🙂

• deruberhanyok

[i<]The team says that '90s technology limited the immersion factor of the original game, and it wants to use today's technology to fix that perceived shortcoming.[/i<] Just tossing this out here: use an attached microphone for some ambient active noise cancellation. So it's not just the game that's a bit eerie, but your whole room while you're playing. That'd be cool. Creepy, but very cool.