Oculus and Valve detail VR launch titles

The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets are both nice pieces of hardware, but they're not very useful without software to go with them. Up until now, we've only seen random tidbits of info about VR titles and scattered demos. That changed today at GDC, where both Oculus and Valve published full lists of the games they expect to release along with their headsets.

Let's kick off with Oculus first. The Rift list includes some titles that you've probably already heard about, like Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS. As previously reported, CCP Games is also building two games designed specifically with VR in mind: the space-dogfigthing game EVE Valkyrie and the on-rails shooter EVE Gunjack.

Dreadhalls, with its procedurally-generated scary dungeons, should provide quite a few "get this thing off my face" moments. There are also a few less obvious choices, like Adventure Time or a VR-enabled version of Defense Grid 2, which is one of my favorite games (go buy it).

Overall, Oculus' roster is varied enough, but seems to have a bit of a bias for titles where you're sitting in a virtual cockpit—not a bad thing at all, mind. Gamers will be able to acquire these titles directly from the Oculus store.

On the opposite corner of the ring, HTC and Valve have a more eclectic lineup. According to Fortune, Valve will be demoing 30 of its titles at the GDC show floor. In an interview with the site, Valve's Chet Faliszek says that 50 developers already have HTC Vive store pages up that "could begin selling content today."

Faliszek notes that Valve has no exclusive launch titles, something which the company thinks is good for the VR industry in general. Faliszek also believes that the games that will impress the most people on the show floor will be the RPG Vanishing Realms: Rite of Steel, #Selfie Tennis (yes, with the hashtag), and the horror shooter The Brookhaven Experiment.

Valve seems to be betting big on providing free VR content to customers. Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption, and The Lab (a game set in Portal's universe), will be available free of charge. That may prove quite the boon to cash-strapped VR gamers, who will undoubtedly comforting their sobbing wallets after shelling out several hundreds of dollars for a headset.

• psuedonymous

These are some – but not all – of the launch titles available, just the ones that happened to be demoed at GDC. e.g. Technolust is a launch title for the Rift, but was not at GDC.

It looks like there are two types of games for VR:

1) Games suited to VR or designed solely for VR where the VR is a huge part of the deal, moslty, but not always first-person

2) Generic game that has the a “VR Edition” as a label hastily stuck on to an existing product to make a quick buck. Many of the third person games, but also some really dire-looking FPS games in there just hoping for a cash-in in they add VR support as a hastier afterthought than your typical console game’s idea of a PC port.

• RdVi

OT for a minute. I had no idea there was a sequel to Defence Grid! I sunk quite a few hours into the original and DLC but forgot all about it a few years back. Steam has failed me! I sware I’ve never seen it show up in my suggested for you list.

Yeah, it’s not bad; Easier and also perhaps more entertaining than the original.

• armadylan

I am confused now. I don’t think this site is Anti-Sony, but why is this covered when this news is later than all of the Sony VR news that came out yesterday? Not even a mention?

• auxy

This is a PC news site. The Sony VR thing is only for Playstation.

• Khali

Actually its supposed to be a Technology site. That’s what I got told when I once commented on the over abundance of smart phone coverage a few years ago. So the Play Station should fit right in.

• brucethemoose

[quote<] The Tech Report PC Hardware Explored [/quote<] EDIT:I guess they have to draw a line somewhere, and Android/iOS are on one side while Playstation is on the other.

You can hook up a keyboard to an Android/iOS device and use it to do personal computing: They are platforms that run any software in their ecosystem. Work/create/play on an them and change the OS if you want. Hell, change ecosystem if you’re brave as the lines between Unix and Android are pretty blurry already.

Consoles are closed ecosystems. You can only do what the console maker allows and that makes them boring, even if the fact that they barely change for half-decades at a time wasn’t dull enough already.

• brucethemoose

TR has covered some XBone news before, though I can’t remember any Playstation news off the top of my head.

I guess the XBone is technically tied to PCs because of Microsoft, whereas Sony completely divorced itself from that business.

• armadylan

Does nobody remember ‘Other OS’ ?

• Antimatter

The PS3 and now the PS4 both run Linux so they are technically PCs.

• Froz

FTFY

[quote<]The Tech Report PC Hardware Explored And Other Things We Feel Like To Review Included But Not Limited To Smartphones, Bulbs And Vacuums[/quote<]

• auxy

Smartphones are “personal computers”. You can load your own applications and you can hook up a mouse, keyboard, and secondary display, and use them in whatever applications.

You can’t do those things on a Playstation. Ergo, not PCs. (-。-)y-゜゜゜

• armadylan

I am currently typing this message from my ps4 web browser using a keyboard and mouse.

You can hook up a keyboard and mouse to the playstation 3 or the playstation 4. You can hook up a secondary display as well. As for the apps, they are in a closed eco system, but so is the apple Iphone.

• auxy

You cannot hook up a secondary display to the PS3 or PS4. You can hook up two (or more) displays at once using splitters, or simultaneous analog and HDMI out, but it still only supports a single display output stream.

You can run your own code on the iPhone with little effort. It’s much more difficult and requires esoteric hardware hacks to do so on the PS3, and as far as I know it cannot be done on the PS4.

Why do you keep posting these almost-half-truths? They just make you look ridiculous.

• armadylan

I think this needs to be more thought out. Consoles are more computers now than they ever were before. Heck playstation 3 used to run windows XP before Sony ripped it from the consumers hands.

Not to mention that there was JUST a poll about VR which included Sony.Here is my point I guess. I think one thing that the Playstation VR might do is actually put this tech in the hands of more consumers in 2016/2017 than Oc. Rift. If that does happen there will be a bigger push and more support for VR in general which will impact Tech all around.

Long term maybe the playstation info wouldn’t be relevant in the grand scheme of things, but if your going to have ANY VR discussion at all TODAY, this is relevant news.

• auxy

No. The Playstation 3 never ran Windows XP. It used to run Linux, but it was very limited and heavily stripped (no GPU access, for example.)

The game consoles now are as far from PCs as they have ever been despite the PC-like hardware inside. You still can’t load your own applications (much less your own OS), and you can’t customize or upgrade them in any meaningful way.

• armadylan

Don’t really feel the need to contradict you. Try this out though if you don’t believe me. Type in playstation 3 windows xp on google. I personally had XP on my ps3. So what you just said is completely untrue.

• auxy

Running a Windows XP-alike window manager in Linux on a PS3 is not “running Windows XP on a PS3”. Cute.

• bhtooefr

Does qemu really count? I mean, you can run XP on any OS with a modern web browser, by that metric.