Deals of the week: a cheap Radeon R9 380X and IPS monitors

Greetings, gentlemen. There are few things that fit a man better than an exquisitely tailored suit, cufflinks, and a good graphics card and monitor. Seeing as some gentlemen may be, shall we say, lacking on some of these fronts, we hereby offer to help.

• Newegg has a XFX Radeon R9 380X graphics card for what is probably the lowest price we've yet seen: only $211.49 after promo code EMCEFHM22. And if that's not enough to sway you, the card comes with a code for Ashes of the Singularity and a $20 mail-in rebate offer. Check out how the 380X stacks up in our review.

•  LG's 34UC87C is a 34" curved IPS display. It has a resolution of 3440×1440 and boasts 99% sRGB color coverage. Other bonus goodies include a USB hub and speakers. Grab it at Newegg for $809.99.

• Next up, we have the LG 31MU97Z-B. This is a pro-grade 4096×2160 monitor that's practically identical to the 31MU97-B we just recommended in our peripheral staff picks. It boasts a 10-bit IPS panel, 99.5% Adobe RGB coverage, and 97% DCI-P3 coverage. At $809.99 with promo code EMCEHFM29, it's a steal.

• The LG offensive continues with the LG 25UM56-P. This display is something of an odd duck, but bear with us. It's a 25" ultra-wide IPS screen with a 2560×1080 resolution. Newegg is offering it for $149.99. That's a pretty good price for an above-average workhorse monitor.

• The display party ends with the Samsung S24E370DL. Its PLS panel has a resolution of 1920×1080 and boasts FreeSync variable refresh rate support, albeit with a 60Hz maximum. The monitor's stand includes Qi wireless charging tech, so you can slap your compatible phone on it and top up its battery. Grab it at Newegg for $159.99 with promo code EMCEHGH67.

• On the storage front, Best Buy is offering the Intel 535 240GB SSD for $79.99. This model may not be the latest and greatest SSD, but if you're looking for a reliable drive, then look no further.

• Finally, there's a good deal on an Asus Z170-A motherboard. This board has USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C ports, an Intel I219V LAN controller, and an audio section with DTS Connect multi-channel encoding. Newegg is offering it for 139.99 after promo code EMCEHGH73.

Gentlemen should be more presentable after acquiring any of these items. If you find other exciting deals from this week's offerings, please post them in the comments section below.

• TheMonkeyKing

Newegg’s eBay storefront is still selling the Samsung 850 EVO 2.5″ 1TB SATA III @ $269.99

[url<]http://www.ebay.com/itm/381541206446[/url<] And, when you reference "an exquisitely tailored suit" I think the word you are looking for is "bespoke."

• I.S.T.

never heard of PLS panels before… Are they any good?

• Demetri

For the most part it’s just Samsung’s version of IPS.

• DPete27

I got pretty excited about that 380X until I realized it’s basically on par with the GTX960 4GB which are regularly on sale for $180 after MIR.

Also, 14/16nm GPUs are so close to launch.

• Demetri

Latest benchmarks I’ve seen had the 380 a little bit ahead of the 960 and the 380X at around +15% over the 960, even in The Division, which some people expected to be an Nvidia friendly title. AMD cards seem to hold up a lot better over time. Compare some of that early GCN stuff to Kepler, which has aged terribly, with the 780ti getting bodied by Hawaii.

• nanoflower

Yes, while there are some games where the 960 may perform the same as the 380X overall you would be much better off with the 380X if you are playing modern AAA games. Now the 380X isn’t the card to get if you want to play at 4K but at 1080P it’s probably the best value today as most games will play at 60FPS with the graphical options set to high.

• NovusBogus

For 1080p I’d go with the 960, but 380X will win out at higher resolutions. I run 1920×1200 and am thinking I might just get this one. It’s the right size card, Ashes is on my to-do list, and frankly I’m a little leery about all the changes coming with Pascal/Arctic and whether they’ll have it stable by the end of the year.

Worst case, I effectively pay $150 for a very nice stopgap that blows my 650Ti out of the water and pick up a mature Pascal x70 class sometime next year.

• ronch

In a vacuum, the 380X (and any other AMD R9 card for that matter) seems like a good deal. But then as with everything else in the land of computers and computer parts, things are always relative. And when you see what the green team is selling around that price, the Radeons start to look disheartening. But let’s see what Pascal and Polaris can do.

• Welch

Samsung S24E370DL

This seems like a damn good buy for someone who wants some pseudo FreeSync, the wireless charger is nice if you’ve got a Samsung S6/7 or other Qi compatible devices. The charger help make up for the $30 delta between other 24″ standard IPS 1920×1080 monitors… but you get mediocre FreeSync. 40-60hz is almost not even FreeSync really so I’m not sure it is worth buying it for it’s “FreeSync” abilities. Most of the time you’re going to find yourself either below or above that range to make it really count. Without the 2.5x required for FRC to function it’s sort of a selling point more than it is functional. If only it were 35-75 then you’d be in business on range alone.

Still for the asking price, if you’re in the market for a work horse 1920×1080 24″ and could use the Qi charger, this looks like a solid buy.

• Srsly_Bro

I’m annoyed that a GPU costing 33% less than my rusty 7950 at purchase date is marginally faster over three years later.

• anotherengineer

If you think that’s annoying think of all those people with 7850 and 7870s from 4 years ago, that are about the same price and performance when they were released.

And that Nvidia has been milking with the 950/960.

Well I guess those people are happy they got good value for their money. However I wouldn’t be paying (the same price) $200-$250 for a card today with the performance of a 4 year old card that was about the same price at introduction, sorry. For $200-$250 today, I would expect a min 2x increase over a 7870.

• Srsly_Bro

Yup. I’m holding out as long as I can. Stardew valley isn’t very demanding, but the fallout 4 dlc is coming.

• Welch

My 7850 that I bought about a year and half ago (for $60… yep really) brand new has been an amazing value. If I were paying around $200 for similar performance today… Yeah I’d be pissed. Then again, look at the CPU market. 4 generation difference from my Sandybridge and you’re talking about a 25-30% performance difference based on STOCK speeds. A little overclock on my part means I can easily close that gap.

This is even more telling on how AMD is integral to saving our bacon in not one, but two different markets. AMD GPUs only make up 20% of the discrete graphics market, talk about sad.

Here is to hoping!

• NovusBogus

AMD isn’t exactly rocking giant performance gains either. CPUs hit a brick wall because physics and both GPU makers got shafted by the 20nm debacle. It would suck just as bad if there were ten companies in the game.

• ultima_trev

HD 7870 was $350 when it debuted. GTX 970 and R9 390 are pretty close to double (75% faster maybe) the performance…

HD 7850 was $250 at debut, the R9 380X, despite only costing 230, is at least 50% faster.

• anotherengineer

While true, I will dispute that the GTX 970 is now 1.5 years old, when the 7850/7870 were out that long they were about $160/$220.

Also IIRC the GTX at launch was closer to $450 or at least that’s what etailers were charging, even now a bit over 1.5 years later and newegg is giving me about a $350 avg price for the 970.

• ronch

I remember how much I paid for my GeForce 2 GTS back in 2000. Back then I thought it wasn’t such a bad deal.

• anotherengineer

Think I paid around $375 for my 9800Pro 256MB edition some time in late 2003. Which was enough money then, but a decent price for almost one of the top cards out. Probably a better price than the 980Ti even after adjusted for inflation.

• ozzuneoj

I seem to be noticing a lot of more expensive monitors having significantly reduced prices lately. Along with that, I’ve seen some interesting new options start to show up at astronomical prices… I wonder if there’s something big on the horizon for high\mid range monitors.

I’m holding out for the next big thing before I buy a monitor… I actually went back to my CRT that can do 1600×1200@109Hz with no motion blur. A low persistence high-refresh rate OLED screen would be nice.

• cygnus1

[quote<] my CRT that can do 1600x1200@109Hz [/quote<] Is that a 19"? and damn, how much does that thing weigh?

• Flapdrol

Probably. My 19″ CRT does something similar. And 1920×1080 at 90Hz.

~28 kg.

• TheMonkeyKing

My old ViewSonic weighs close to 60 pounds. I’m really torn because the thing is still amazing. Back in the day I splurged for component cables.

It still works and I’d hate to junk it. It does take up a massive amount of space in the corner of my lab. I always thought that when it would go bad I would junk the internals and turn the case into an aquarium.

• DPete27

Silly wabbit

• Neutronbeam

Bruno, many thanks for calling me a gentlemen. Most of the gerbils here usually refer to me using terms that have two syllables.

• morphine

There are exceptions to every rule, though.

• Srsly_Bro

I stick to mono syllabic words when I call ppl names. Twice as efficient!

• anotherengineer

ya noob!!

😀

• nanoflower

For those that live near a Microcenter they are cutting the prices on the 4690K/4790K as of today. The 4690K is going for $189 and the 4790K is going for $279 so that’s a slight savings over their previous prices.

• The Egg

I might actually grab that LG 25UM56-P for $149 as a stopgap solution until the right high-end monitor comes along. I’m still stuck on an 8yr old TN panel 🙁

• cygnus1

I’m tempted as well, but a 25″ 21×9 monitor is really short. I think it’s height is equivalent to about a 19″ 16×9. Go look at the picture of it with the box it comes in. There’s a CD in front of it for scale. It’s really, really short. I don’t know if I can drop to something that small, but 21×9 is calling to me…

• The Egg

Microcenter has the 25UM58-P for $179, which is roughly identical but has a 75hz refresh rate.

Edit: You’re right about the height though. I’m currently running a 25.5″ 16:10, and the height difference would probably be very noticeable. Of course a 29″ would be better, but then the price is getting to be too much for a temporary stopgap monitor.

• willmore

I picked one up at that price from Fry’s a few months back. I haven’t used an IPS monitor before and I’m very impressed. The colors are very saturated and pure.

The OSD is a bit clumbsy, but it’s way better than most that I have used. It has several gaming presets as well as custom settings. The “FPS 2” setting shows no ghosting in the games that I play which have high contrast–Terraria, etc.

It supports audio (and has volume controls), but has no speakers. There is a 3.5mm TRS jack. That could be a feature or annoying depending on how you have your OS setup.

For the price, I’m quite happy with it.

EDIT: Oh it only has two HDMI inputs which is strange for a monitor and not a TV.

• dragontamer5788

The Samsung 1080p FreeSync monitor for $160 is the cheapest FreeSync I’ve seen available. The stand looks awful though (even if it has Qi Wireless charging…) but I guess that’s typical of these low cost monitors.

• The Egg

The price is good, but take note that the max refresh is 60hz, and it doesn’t list the minimum. While technically it’s Freesync, the range may be very very small.

• DPete27

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053<]EVGA 550W G2 for $60 after MIR.[/url<] Ends 3/23. This is a great PSU.

• Srsly_Bro

That is a great price. I might pick one for my new rig. The 650w evga platinum is only a little more tho.

• anotherengineer

I got one after christmas and after tax it was $125 CND and I thought it was decent deal……………until I seen the US prices. (still in the box lol)

sigh…………..

• modulusshift

[url=https://www.etsy.com/listing/229800460/on-sale-batman-cufflink-cuff-links<]I've got you guys covered on the cufflinks.[/url<] Perfect for when you're a dashing young millionaire with no secret identity whatsoever, nosiree, Robert.