Radeon 16.3.1 drivers get a tune-up for Need for Speed

AMD has released Radeon Software version 16.3.1. These drivers largely appear to be a maintenance release, though AMD has added support for a couple new game titles. This update comes a little more than a week after AMD added major new features to its drivers like support for the Vulkan API and XConnect external graphics enclosures.

The 16.3.1 release adds support for Ghost Games' Need for Speed, but beware: the game may exhibit poor scaling or flickering for drifters running a CrossFire setup. AMD has also updated the CrossFire profiles available for Hitman that were introduced with the 16.3 release.

Now for the fixes. An issue where some games weren't showing up in the Radeon Settings "Gaming" tab has been resolved. Also, installation via the command line now works. Intermittent hanging issues in some Unreal Engine apps has been addressed, as has a black screen or possible hang after launching the Oculus Video Application. Finally, these drivers no longer lock DirectX 12 application frame rates to the refresh rate of the monitor.

• DPete27

I’m disliking Crimson because the simplified settings are not HTPC friendly. Namely, disabling dynamic contrast is missing.

Dynamic contrast shouldn’t even be a thing. /side rant

• DoomGuy64

390 gets option for disabling power management to fix clock throttling. 290’s don’t.

Looks like AMD’s pulling stunts like at the 390 launch again. (390 got it’s own driver with new features and better performance.)

• Firestarter

I wish the installer would stop trying to decide for itself what language it should install in

edit: They added a language setting! Yay!

• auxy

Oh, neat. Too bad my Radeon exploded. Again.

Not doing yourself any favors here, Sapphire. (~_~メ)

• ronch

Exploding video cards? And this isn’t your first one? Overclocked to the very edge of physics?

• biffzinker

Nah more like she overclocked that GPU until it Hertz? Eh?

• Firestarter

*rimshot*

• auxy

My wife and I went to her parents’ lodge out in the woods and I brought my PC along because I am a sad person who cannot be without computer games for more than one day. Nothing unusual happened, the machine wasn’t bumped or jarred in any way, it worked flawlessly the whole time. When I got back and hooked everything up, bootup screen and BIOS had a bright red stripe down one side of the screen, and trying to set accelerated mode (e.g. boot into anything besides VGA mode) immediately crashed the machine.

I did some troubleshooting (reseated GPU, changed PCIe slots, and tested it in another machine) and it was clearly the GPU, so I RMA’d it with Sapphire. They didn’t give me a lot of trouble; really on the whole it was a pretty positive experience aside from having to pay $20 to send it off.

That was in the beginning of February — a few days ago my monitor started going black (“no signal”) and the system hanging with repeating audio while I was playing games. Did some more troubleshooting, figured out it’s a problem with the power delivery on the graphics card (low load caused it intermittently, but high load caused it immediately.) RMA’d it again, had to pay another $20 to send it off. Waiting on the replacement card now.

If the replacement has any problems, I’m not paying to send it off again. I’m gonna get real angry and Sapphire is gonna replace the card again at their cost, because this is just ridiculous. NOTHING happened to the card (which was secured in a very solid case and transported very carefully with the machine laying down and secured on soft car seats) to cause it to fail the first time, and this second time it literally was in my test bench for less than a month, just playing games. MOSTLY not even being used; I’ve mostly been playing Final Fantasy XI, which is a DirectX 7 game that barely uses the GPU at all, which I suspect is why it even took me this long to notice the problem.

I’m sure it was a refurbished card, which I don’t actually mind; I understand why companies would prefer to send refurbished products out for RMA replacements. But at least send me one that works, yeah? ( ;∀;)

• biffzinker

I was being funny auxy you didn’t need explain how it happened. Being stuck in a RMA loop is never a fun experience when all you want is a working replacement.

• auxy

I replied to ronch…

• Rza79

Do you transport your computer standing up or do you lay it down flat?

• Firestarter

[quote<]transported very carefully with the machine laying down and secured on soft car seats[/quote<]

• anotherengineer

“My wife and I went to her parents’ lodge out in the woods and I brought my PC along because I am a sad person who cannot be without computer games for more than one day. ”

More than 1 day, I think that could be an addiction…….

• biffzinker

Everyone could be classified as addicted to something.

• Pitabred

They make these things called laptops, they may not be as high performance as a desktop, but they’re made to be a lot more portable…

• auxy

Gaming on laptops is gross. They’re overpriced, overheating, underpowered, and barely portable. I’ve been carrying around my PC anytime I’m gonna sleep somewhere that isn’t home for a decade and this is the first time it has ever been a problem.

Plus, I’m the kind of person who plays games at settings which aren’t really feasible in laptops … at least, in sub-$3000 laptops.

• biffzinker

Might want to switch the link for this [url=http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.3.1.aspx<]AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1[/url<]. Didn't see any download links for the drivers with the link your using.