Report: Apple’s next iPhone will use OLED displays from Samsung

Apple has steadfastly relied on IPS LCDs in its iPhones even as other smartphone makers have come to rely on OLED display tech. Going by a report at Korean site ETNews, it seems even Cupertino will soon follow the siren song of OLED. The site reports that Apple is partnering with Samsung Display to obtain OLED screens for its next iPhone, on the order of 60,000 panels per month. ETNews also says Samsung is also making investments to improve its yields and expand its production capacity to establish competitive superiority over rival display manufacturers in advance of an Apple switch to OLED.

The site also reports that Apple is in talks with secondary OLED suppliers to secure the number of panels it'll need for iPhone production. LG Display, Japan Display, and Foxconn (through its Sharp acquisition) are all in the running. ETNews believes those secondary suppliers will account for anywhere from 20% to 50% of Apple's OLED needs, while Samsung will account for the rest. Presumably, these displays will find their way into the next major iPhone.

• albundy

here, let me fix that title for you:

Report: Apple’s next iPhone will use OLED displays from Apple.

cuz we all know apple invented everything.

• Deanjo

Not sure if these panels are for phones with those amounts. Those qty numbers seem to match up more with Macbook sales (which Samsung is one of two supplies for their screens, the other being LG).

• NeelyCam

Dang – for some reason I read the title as “Report: Apple’s next iPhone will [b<]sue[/b<] OLED displays from Samsung"

• auxy

Since Apple is [i<]always[/i<] on the absolute [b<]forefront[/b<] of new technologies (haha ( *´艸`) lol), I wonder what the chances are of them implementing some kind of black frame insertion or strobing feature so their OLEDs aren't as blurry as everyone else's. [sub<](´Д⊂ヽ Ha ha ha, who am I kidding, Apple hates gaming...[/sub<]

• DarkUltra

Ah id rather have ulmb and 120hz rather than 2560×1440 panels.

• synthtel2

As I said in another thread….

[quote<]The main thing that makes OLED strobing difficult is that LED wear is very non-linear. Making 5 units of light 1/5th of the time is far more stressful for them than making 1 unit of light full time. Seeing as wear is still seemingly one of the biggest issues with OLED screens, I think we may be waiting a while on strobing OLEDs yet.[/quote<]

• auxy

Yah, I saw. Thanks for the info!

• JalaleenRumi

What does this mean? ( *´艸`)

In TV Show “Friends”, when they use both hands like 艸 then it meant “Indecent hand gestures”..So I am a little confused.

So 60,000 OLED panels being basically nothing (720,000 per year) that must mean that the OLED panels themselves are processed in a way to make something worth selling, right? I have no idea how this works or how big the OLED panels are, but that just seems like a small number.

I’m glad we all came to the same conclusion here. 😆

• chuckula

I ninja’d you by 2 minutes!

I was trying to look up an answer for myself and only commented after some limited Googling. If not for that we’d all have been at the same time.

• southrncomfortjm

I think they actually mean “substrates” rather than panels. Substrates are the bigger panels that are cut up to make the smaller panels. 60k substrates could be hundreds of thousands of actual panels for iPhones.

• chuckula

[quote<]The site reports that Apple is partnering with Samsung Display to obtain OLED screens for its next iPhone, on the order of 60,000 panels per month.[/quote<] OK, in order for that number to have any potential accuracy given Apple's mass-production tendencies, I'm assuming that each "panel" is a big ol' OLED sheet that is then further subdivided into a bunch of displays for many individual phones? Because something tells me that Apple isn't gunning for 720,000 phones/year production.

• southrncomfortjm

That’s a good assumption. I’m guessing each panel can be used to make dozens, if not a hundred or so, iPhone screens.

• tipoo

I believe so, it’s like saying “silicon wafer”, that’s then cut into dozens of processors per wafer.

• Zizy

Samsung has several fabs with different glass sizes, their most interesting new/upcoming one is gen 6.5 for flexible displays and is the one mentioned in ETNews.
      Lets say Apple will order 60k panels/month and those are gen 6.5. Wikipedia tells each panel is about 1.5m * 1.8m for gen 6, no info for 6.5. This gives about 2.5m^2 glass area per panel, probably somewhat more – on the order of 3.5m^2. Lets go with 2.5m^2 Apple phones have different sizes, but lets say they are all 0.01m^2 in area (=about the full size of iPhone 6. Should be right in the middle between screen areas). Each panel therefore gives 2500 displays, so perhaps 2k displays with non-perfect yield. Multiply those together and Apple can get 120m iPhone displays per month. Easily enough, even for the first rush month 🙂
      [url<]https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_(Glasgr%C3%B6%C3%9Fe)[/url<] EDIT: Added some stuff after reading ETNews. Oh, btw, Apple won't be getting all those 60k panels - Samsung needs some for their own phones as well 🙂

• willmore

I thought this was about todays announcement when I saw the headline.

OLED would be a heck of a selling point for this small iPhone.

• Dposcorp

………and the hatchet is officially buried?

• chuckula

In Samsung’s back!

• Tirk

I’m sure Samsung won’t mind that pesky thing sticking out of its back while its making its way to the bank hehe.

*Breaking News* Apple now claims to have invented the OLED, files lawsuit against Samsung!

Doh!@

• Srsly_Bro

-exposed

• ludi

Samsung is a huge conglomerate. Apple has had a combination of patent lawsuits and supply contracts going with different parts of Samsung in the past, and will happily continue to do so in the future if it makes business sense to do so.

• Ryszard

Are the panels the huge ones from which individual displays are cut? I ask because 60,000 is nowhere near enough to keep up with iPhone demand these days (~15M a month is the current run rate).

• willmore

It must be because the same article says that LG is on target to make 7K/month and that’s not worth reporting if it’s just actual screens.