Poseidon Z Touch keyboard has a touch-sensitive spacebar

Many modern keyboards already come festooned with RGB LEDs and more processing power than a lunar lander. Thermaltake thinks it's time to update the humble spacebar now, too. The company has placed a programmable touch surface on the spacebar of its Poseidon Z Touch mechanical keyboard. Through this input area, users can access some of the functions of a multi-touch trackpad without lifting their hands off of the keyboard.

Thermaltake uses Synaptics' sensing solutions to power the touch sensor. The spacebar has five configurable zones that can be programmed to scroll horizontally or vertically, zoom in and out, highlight text, or bring up context menus. Additionally, the zones can be programmed as macro buttons.

The Poseidon Z Touch uses Thermaltake's own "Mechanical Blue" switches. This anti-ghosting 104-key device has n-key rollover and a blue backlight. A button in the upper right hand corner changes the Windows keys into Ctrl buttons. Thermaltake warrants the keyboard for five years. The Poseidon Z Touch will be available soon for $120.

• Aranarth

Oh good, I just had a flash back to terrible “J” mouse…

• kamikaziechameleon

Interesting idea indeed.

• godforsaken

personally, I’d rather it be on the arrow keys/wasd keys, I still play racing games with the keyboard, and whenever i feel the car isn’t turning hard enough I try to jam my fingers through they keyboard, would be nice if that actually did something besides hurt my fingers

• ImSpartacus

I know spacebars often use a stiffer switches in general, but wouldn’t this particular space bar have be pretty stiff prevent accidental presses?

Neat idea though.

• cobalt

It wasn’t clear, but I’m wondering if the surface is on the front of the spacebar instead of the top? (That would mitigate the stiffness/accidental press concern.)

• DPete27

Seems logical. Especially since your thumbs can rest on the spacebar from time to time without the intention of activating any commands. This also alleviates the challenges between knowing what is meant to be a spacebar keypress and whats meant to be a touch function scroll. Can you imagine after typing each word that your screen gets scrolled up/down or zoomed in/out. Yikes!

• Srsly_Bro

Some dorks swap out the space bar for stiffer switches. I’ve considered it, but I’m resistant to spend any more on a keyboard.