The Tech Report is looking for news writers

The Tech Report is looking for a freelance news writer or two to assist with our daily news coverage. Ideal candidates will be comfortable scouring a wide range of sources for newsworthy information and quickly turning that raw material into entertaining, polished news articles. Those writers will also be comfortable using the right images and videos to help tell those stories.

We cover a wide range of interesting stuff happening in tech. Accordingly, you should be passionate about all of the personal computing devices we use today, as well as the stuff inside them and the companies that make them. Experience building, maintaining, and modding PCs is a huge plus, and general IT experience also helps. A solid command of the English language is essential.

This is a remote, part-time, freelance position. You'll communicate with us using Slack and Skype. Expect to spend a couple hours per day writing for us. Ideal candidates will have a flexible schedule for large, infrequent events like Apple keynotes that tend to produce a lot of news. Candidates should also be qualified to work in the USA.

To apply, please send a resume, a brief cover letter introducing yourself, and your take on a TR-style news post (with images) using this press release to jobs@techreport.com. (Your sample work will not be published on the site.)

Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply to every potential candidate. We will contact you with more information if we think you're a good fit for the TR team. Thanks in advance for applying.

• sweatshopking

GUIZE I APPLY AND YOU DONT HIRE ME. I GOING TO START TAKING THIS PERSONALLY SINCE YOU KEEP ADVERTISING FOR POSITIONS.

• the

I don’t get it. How can they hire someone who helped create the Tech Report in the first place?

• Crackhead Johny

Going to tech events:

Must have strong BS filter and ability to translate marketing speak to English.

“New CPU has less real world horsepower that your current OC’d unit but includes features no one will use for one or more chip generations!”

• TheJack

Will you disclose the number of applications you received for this position?

• TwoEars

I find the key to keeping loyal staff is getting them hooked on drugs. Nothing motivates quite like the promise of another fix.

• Krogoth

*Secret Qualification – You must make me impressed. 😉

* – Not really a qualification

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]http://www.dictionary.com/browse/purported?s=t[/url<]

• anotherengineer

I speak the Queen’s English. I am a colourful individual 🙂

• blastdoor

[quote<]Those writers will also be comfortable using the right images and videos to help tell those stories.[/quote<] Hmm.... I have to say, I'm only "comfortable" using the [b<]wrong[/b<] images and videos. Using the right ones makes my skin crawl. So.... I know you guys wrote this with me in mind, but.... thanks, but no thanks.

Sometimes the wrong image is the right one.

• meerkt

Slack? <Searches for term. Goes to site. Sees Web 3.0. Goes to Wikipedia.>

• Captain Ned

Slack??

I have to join the Church of the SubGenius to get this writing gig? That’s too much to ask of this Pastafarian.

• morphine

Slack was the only thing that successfully managed to pull us away from IRC. This is coming from someone that used IRC for the better part of 20 years.

It’s reliable and works right straight off the bat with minimal fuss, with mobile notifications, etc. That’s more than can be said about a zillion other chat/collaboration services.

Mobile notifications (compared to Palaver *trying* to—and often failing to–deliver) seemed like a big point in its favor.

• adisor19

But but, Hip Chat..

Lol ok I’ll show myself out.

Adi

• just brew it!

We started using it where I work a little while back. After using it for a bit, I’d say it could [i<]almost[/i<] replace e-mail for internal communication. Works really well, very intuitive.

• Wirko

Before you know it, Slack will strip you of your office, and move your mind to a VM. You don’t quite believe it, do you?
      [url<]http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/what-slack-is-doing-to-our-offices-and-our-minds/[/url<]

• meerkt

I just wish the big web-email providers would revert to their early AJAX interfaces, and that someone makes a lightweight native/offline email client with a proper conversation view. Plus proper search. And a sensible storage format.