Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum beckons gamers to cut the cord

Wireless mice aren't typically known for their high performance with games. They travel in laptop bags or occupy the desks of people who can't abide seeing cords.  Gamers have traditionally stuck with wired mice to limit latency. With its G900 Chaos Spectrum, Logitech is trying to change the narrative about wireless gaming mice.

Whether it's used in wired or wireless mode, the G900 Chaos Spectrum has a 1000Hz polling rate. The fast wireless rate comes courtesy of a 2.4GHz wireless connection. For accurate tracking at any speed, Logitech uses a 12,000-DPI PMW3366 optical sensor. In wireless mode, battery life sounds pretty good for a gaming mouse. Logitech claims that its clock-tuning technology enables the mouse to run for 24 hours on a single charge, or 32 hours if the programmable RGB lighting effects are turned off.

Logitech also wants to accommodate left-handed users with this mouse. The ambidextrous basic shape can be adjusted to taste with custom button caps and covers. In total, the mouse has eleven programmable buttons. These can be configured to run macros or adjust DPI on the fly. The company claims the primary buttons employ a spring tensioning system and metal pivot hinges in order to increase the responsiveness of each click.

The G900 Chaos Spectrum is designed to be a lightweight mouse. It weighs in at only 107g. For comparison, Logitech's recent G502 starts at 121g before you start adding in that model's five 3.6g weights. To slim down the G900, Logitech uses "thin-wall molding" and a hollow scroll wheel design. The mouse is available for pre-order now with a $150 price tag.

• iQuasarLV

I am amused that Logitech is attempting to cater to the gamer with a wireless mouse.

Most people will agree that wireless gaming on *ANY* 2.4GHz spectrum device adds tons of latency to the experience. This is in addition to the human reaction factor, no matter the device/connection. If they wanted to use a different frequency less congested, and threw some PR numbers to back up their claims I might raise an eyebrow, especially at the $150 price tag.

• BenBasson

This mouse is clearly going to struggle to find a market, but I have to say that as a non-professional gamer I cannot notice the difference using a wired mouse vs. my Logitech Performance MX as far as response times go. I’m sure there is a difference, but I very much doubt that it’s as bad as people say. Clearly not a problem for most gamers (given that most gamers aren’t professional).

• alrey

The best one I’ve used is G302. However, the buttons started registering double clicks instead of just one click after only 6 months πŸ™

• Krogoth

Wireless mice are not going to draw in the hardcore gaming types. The problem with wireless mice is battery life (buzz-killer for gaming marathons) and the dang things will have to reconnect when left idle for a few minutes (taking breaks). It sometimes takes several seconds and other times it takes up to a minute for that to happen. I blame USB Controller and certain OSs for this one *cough* Windoze *cough*.

The only benefit is that it is cordless which only helps in a non-desktop setting: Living Room, Conferences, Symposium etc. They are not exactly the most ideal places for PC gaming.

• Den1

The thing works wired as well (shaving it from 4ms to 3ms response time) and gives you a warning before the battery dies. So the battery thing is probably a non-issue. Play wireless when you can and not have to deal with the cord and play wired when you have to. Although for very competitive playing, it would probably be best to do only one or the other.

With my current wireless mouse (Logitech M510) I use sometimes, I’ve never noticed any issue with the mouse reconnecting. Even when re-plugging in the usb controller and turning the power switch of the mouse back on, it is connected before I have a chance to test if it is connected. I’m sure some mice have issues, but it is certainly not an inherent problem. If there did as good of a job as they did for their $20 wireless mouse, it should be fine.

• Voldenuit

Not a fan of logi mice, mostly because I’m a fingerer, not a palmer.

I switched to razers when logi started putting ads in their mouse drivers.

Then razer started requiring you to sign up to get their drivers.

Nowadays I just use cheap generics.

• credible

Performance MX is still my go to for the last 5 years or so.

• Vaughn

My mouse at home is still a Gen1 G500 works great.

At work I use a wireless MX Master which has great battery life I maybe charge it once every 3 weeks to a month.

• WaltC

The last thing I want to think about when using my desktops is *battery life.* Ugh and double ugh…;)

• Kougar

Instead of constantly making new models of mice that try to fit the one-size-fits-most average, how about actually releasing different models of mice at different sizes? Ergonomics is still a thing and I’d rather the size fit comfortably than gimmicks like a hollow scroll wheel or a snazzy design that will be a real problem to keep clean.

• synthtel2

[url=http://zowie.benq.com/mice<]Zowie[/url<] is the only one I've seen that does that. Does anyone else? It is a great way to do things (much better than adjustable RATs and such, IMO).

• Kougar

Hadn’t heard of them. Interesting mice and glad to see them mentioning ergonomics, but unfortunately they are the same size/width as the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer from 16 years ago! My G500 is still a couple MM wider than their EC1 mouse and I need something a bit wider still for the thumb.

• TheMonkeyKing

Are you saying you would feel more comfortable with bigger mouse balls in your hands?

• JustAnEngineer

Try the MX Anywhere 2 for an excellent smaller mouse or the M525 for a mid-sized solution.

• Chandalen

Please make a wired version of the g602 mouse thanks!

• Mad_Dane

What I need is a mouse made for size 12 hands, regular mice feel like small laptop mice do for regular folks.

• NovusBogus

Have you tried a DeathAdder? It’s rather on the large side.

• Mad_Dane

No, but let me put it into perspective for you, my hand is 20,5 cm long from root to middle fingertip.

• Firestarter

well mine is +-20cm and I use the Deathadder comfortably in a half-palm, half-claw sort of way. I assume you mean fingertip to wrist like line F in this image: [url<]http://i.imgur.com/owAdp2J.jpg[/url<]

• Mad_Dane

Yes measured like that, and I want an ergonomic mouse I can hold as intended with my hand size, only my fingertips touch the mouse which totally defeats the purpose of an ergonomic mouse.

And I will never buy another product from Razer, it’s a garbage company! All but one of their products I have owned has broken in a short while, funny enough the product I like is the Razer Mako speakers, they sound awesome and has been discontinued ofc.

• Firestarter

Then I think you won’t find any mouse to your liking, as these Deathadders are some of the largest mice around. My previous mouse was a Deathadder too, and it broke, but they replaced it 0 questions asked and pretty quickly too.

• Den1

I think Mionix and Steelseries have some large mice as well. Not exactly sure on how they compare to Deathadders

• Firestarter

so Logitech, if you claim your wireless transmission of mouse input is as reliable and fast as wired transmission, why don’t you *show* us? Because I for one still don’t believe you

edit: apparently linuxtechtips will be doing a test soon, according to their review: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1o2HBm_uNk[/url<] it seems Logitech is marketing the hell out of this mouse

• Luckyo

They are showing us by releasing these mice. You can pick one up today and check it out yourself.

Quite a few of us have in fact moved to various wireless models of logitech’s, because they really are as good as wired as far as human reaction time is concerned. And not having the cord actually improves motion range of the mouse significantly.

• Firestarter

no, that puts the ball in the court of sites like TR or enthusiasts like those at overclock.net, and like Eric Born here has already shown in his introduction, we are likely to be skeptical. I mean, is a site like TR really going to go all inside-the-microsecond on mice to see if Logitech’s claims hold water, or is anyone serious about his CS:GO rank just going to ignore this mouse just like they continue to categorically ignore [i<]all[/i<] wireless mice? Somebody will have to try and convince me of their merit before I buy one, and if Logitech won't then I guess I'll just stick to my wired rodents

What?

No one would trust Logitech. Their results would have to be independently verified to mean anything at all. Do you also buy video cards based on the charts Nvidia and AMD put out? No, you don’t. You rely on third-party, independent websites to do this testing.

• Firestarter

Charts? Funny you should say that because there are none. I couldn’t even base my decision on charts from Logitech if I wanted to, because they provide none that do anything to substantiate their claims that this wireless mouse is actually just as good as wired mice. At least when AMD and Nvidia are shouting from the rooftops that their GPUs are really faster this time, they have graphs that show us how much faster they claim to be, graphs that can then be thoroughly debunked or verified by sites like The Tech Report. However, Logitech doesn’t give us any (but oh look shiny RGB LED!)

I don’t like wires but my experiences with wireless mice (yes, from Logitech) haven’t been good enough that I’m willing to make that switch, and Logitech is only promising that this one is different. I’m not buying it (literally or figuratively)

• slowriot

And those Nvidia and AMD charts don’t convince you to buy. Nor are they necessary for a third-party to evaluate the graphics cards. Likewise, a independent party doesn’t need Logitech to provide a starting point.

There’s no benefit to Logitech. If they provide the charts you’re wanting then it would just get labeled marketing material anyway. So why go through the effort of making Nvidia/AMD type marketing charts?

It’s hilarious to me you’ve convinced yourself you care about Logitech putting out marketing material with charts that make their claims instead of just words.

• Firestarter

I want them to try and convince me to buy this mouse, using something other than lame montages and promises. They could try and do that using tests that show us that their mice have improved on metrics that matter to us, tests that hardware sites like The Tech Report could repeat to verify their claims. That is [i<]exactly[/i<] what TR does when it concerns graphics cards, AMD or Nvidia claims X percent improvement in minimum or average framerate in this game or that, and TR, Anandtech and a legion of other sites will test those games and call them out on their marketing BS if that is what it is. Logitech isn't doing any of that, they're just telling us it's better and the review sites don't even bother with trying to debunk that because mouse reviews just don't rake in enough ad money to justify the time it costs to even start to develop testing methods for metrics that matter. Hell I don't even know what metrics really matter, Logitech talks about improving that performance but can't even articulate what it actually is. They literally said, and I quote: "We're showing the world that we no longer have to worry about wireless as an impediment to gaming" (https://youtu.be/IblAN4_lDf8?t=56s). And they follow that up by showing [i<]nothing at all[/i<]. Yeah they show the product with their promise and we can buy that mouse and hope that the promise holds, but there's nothing testable, nothing verifiable that we can look at and see if it delivers on that promise. They do actually show in that video that they test their mice in a variety of ways that generates all kinds of interesting data, mostly for their claims that the mice have no acceleration, smoothing, snapping, rounding, etc, but they're not sharing that either Anyway, how Logitech handles all this is of course their choice, I'm just voicing my opinion as a skeptic once burned currently using a competitors product. I've been very happy with their wired mice in the past as well as their service so if this wireless mouse is actually that good I would love to have one.

• synthtel2

This.

The relevant test would be to have a high speed camera, quickly move the mouse (or just click), and see how long it takes for results on the screen. That’s not perfect, because it only captures the best-case scenario (what happens when the connection gets sketchy?), but most wireless mice seem to be far from perfect at that, and it looks like what Logitech is claiming an improvement in.

(This is a relevant test for wired mice, too, though the differences are of course much smaller. IIRC Logitech tunes debounce much more aggressively than most and therefore gets exceptionally low click latency, though I probably wouldn’t be able to find my source for that again.)

• Den1

Tomshardware did an article where the writers did get to see it. According to Logitech’s test, the response time is 4ms cordless and its 3ms when wired.

• Firestarter

And apparently 4ms is still way better than the competition. That makes me wonder, just how bad are current gaming mice in this specific test, and is that difference big enough that people can actually tell while gaming? It’s a shame that they only got to see that test in a tightly controlled environment

• Skid

Rats. This is not what I’m looking for. I’d be pleased if Logitech re-issued the classic MX-518.
    <sigh>

G502 or G402.

[url<]http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice[/url<]

• xolf

Honestly, even those lack the basic comfort of the MX-518. I don’t need lots of funky sharp corners, I want something that’s comfortable under-hand.

• slowriot

Every surface you put your hand on with a G502 or G402 is rounded.

• xolf

I have the G502 Proteus Core, and it has plenty very angular edges.

• TheQat

you should try a g402 if you haven’t. it looks weird but it’s ultimately better than the 518 shape for me. the front of the mouse slopes toward the desk too much on the 518

• Kretschmer

I completely agree. “Edgy” design is never a benefit, especially for an interface device.

• DPete27

The G502 feels fantastic in-hand to me. That’s my #1 pick if I could justify the cost. I just don’t game enough anymore.

• Kretschmer

The 502 and 402 still have bling.

<3 my MX518

• slowriot

MX518’s had swirl graphics on the palms….

• Kretschmer

Right, but it’s an order of magnitude better.

• Kretschmer

Downvoted for innocuous mundane opinions? I’m sorry that we don’t share a taste in mice. Our love will never be, anonymous downvoter…

• Firestarter

Complaining about downvotes? That’s a paddlin

• Luckyo

They had g400 for a long time which had the exact same body but with a better sensor.
      [url<]http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/optical-gaming-mouse-g400[/url<] It then became G400s (still same body, but with different coating on top), and finally evolved into G402 which has a different body. They don't sell G400 variants anymore, but you can still find it on amazon. Nowadays they replaced it with slightly different body of g500. [url<]http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice[/url<] Honestly though, it's about taking a day or two to adapt to the new shape. I moved from that to a G700s, and it took me a couple of days to adjust to the new mouse shape, but now whenever I dig my old 518 from the closet, I keep noticing that it's objectively worse in several aspects in terms of comfort.

• slowriot

[url<]http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice[/url<] Just linking the Logitech gaming mice page because apparently people don't realize that when Logitech puts out a new mouse it doesn't discontinue the others

• TwoEars

I’m inherently lazy, I’d just leave the charge cord plugged in all the time. And then what would I have? That’s right.

• rwburnham

I like that you can remove the side buttons and replace them with flat panels. I am not a fan of side buttons, and so many gaming mice have them. This is an expensive mouse, but it might – MIGHT – be worth it just for that feature.

• Den1

Why do you not like side buttons? I hate using a mouse that lacks them. They seem pretty standard except for super cheap mice.

• Kretschmer

This mouse is everything that is wrong with gaming products today.

[quote<]Logitech claims that its clock-tuning technology enables the mouse to run for 24 hours on a single charge, or [b<]32 hours if the programmable RGB lighting effects are turned off[/b<].[/quote<] I don't want RGB LEDs. Especially if they result in design or functionality compromises. I don't want edgy styling. I don't want to pay $150 for a mouse. I'm willing to pay more for features that are [b<]relevant[/b<] for gaming - like a quality sensor, additional buttons, and increased durability - but the end product should look professional, be functional, and represent a reasonable value for the price. My ideal "gaming gear" can be used in a client meeting in the morning and a frag session in the evening. Sadly, no one has seemed to figure out that professionals who game have orders of magnitude more disposable income than 1337 733N G4M3RZ.

• Waco

This.

I don’t mind features if they don’t compromise performance…but a wireless mouse with lights? This is idiotic.

• Srsly_Bro

Do you spend a lot of time on ocn?

• Waco

I’m not on OC.net, no. Why?

• Srsly_Bro

A lot of the kids on there say “this” whenever they see something they agree with. Thought you were one of them.

• auxy

That has been common on internet forums at least since Shacknews was called shugashack. Get with it, old man! (*Β΄βˆ€ο½€*)

• Firestarter

^^ what she said

• Srsly_Bro

That sounds better. Thanks, bro.

This.

• Srsly_Bro

Oh no. not you too.

• Redocbew

That.

• Srsly_Bro

Lol. It sounds pretentious! I object on those grounds. Like some nerd discovered something no one else has ever seen. I refuse to assimilate and take part in that geek-speak!

• bill94el

It is pretentious…a lot like those long, drawn out “emotional-icons” that mean nothing to anyone else. Oh wait…nevermind

• Waco

Ha, no. πŸ™‚ Using “this” to show agreement with something someone posted has been a thing at the very least since the late 90s/early 2000s when forums started to blossom.

• Srsly_Bro

One of the first things I did was go into the Logitech utility and disable the annoying strobing light.

• slowriot

What’s your point? Logitech still produces a wide range of gaming mice going from very barebones to this G900. So why complain about this one just because it doesn’t fit what you want? It’s for someone else.

• Waco

I think he’s wondering what the hell the target market is.

• slowriot

Males likely between the ages of 15-30. Play games like LoL, CS:GO, Dota2, etc. Know what “C9” or “TSM” or “TL” are references to. i.e. the exact opposite of the average TR poster besides the male part.

• Waco

I guess I’m surprised anyone would want a wireless gaming mouse…that lights up…that plays MOBA/competitive FPS games…that has the funds to buy said amalgamation of contradictions.

I’m glad I’m not in marketing.

• slowriot

Where did you go to college? I guess I’m curious because of the narrative of “college students are poor” was not remotely reflective of my college experience and I went to college in the middle-of-nowhere-Missouri, not exactly 1%er land. Most kids had plenty of money left from their student loans after tuition and other costs. In fact, many made a habit of taking out more than necessary so they could buy a TV or Xbox or gaming rig or beer or whatever. *shrug* I’ve only been out for a bit under 4 years now but I don’t think it’s changed that much.

I don’t think the G900 market is something massive, neither does Logitech. it’s not like they abandoned the G502 or their entire other line up. But given we’ve seen a G700s, G602 and now the G900 just over a few years would suggest Logitech is finding someone who buys these.

• Waco

Clemson alum here.

I guess it’s the wireless/”pro” gamer/lighted combination that’s killing me. It’s just a crazy mix of features that one would think would steer people away.

As for student loans to buy stuff…sigh. People wonder why student debt is out of control. Lol.

• Pwnstar

So they had money because they borrowed it?

Let me borrow a million dollars. I’ll be rich! Right?

• Kretschmer

Check. Check. Check.

Still averse to bling. πŸ™‚

• Kretschmer

It’s not just this mouse. Look at gaming laptops; all the cutting edge stuff is replete with unnecessary LEDs and logos. Or other peripherals, where “lighted and jaggy” seems to be taking over.

Just the fact that someone decided that “RGB LEDs that cut our battery life by a third” are a competitive feature make me weep for humanity.

• Shinare

Try finding a mechanical keyboard that your boss wont scoff at price or that it has “Gaming” in the title and looks ridiculous.

• slowriot

What are you talking about? The MAJORITY of mechanical keyboards are of plain design. I swear TR posters must never venture beyond this site. Hell, it takes all of 15 seconds on Amazon to find options. Even keyboards from the likes of Razer and Corsair look very ordinary when you don’t turn on the backlight.

• Waco

Very true. I’m happy this is true, even my CM Storm Trigger is reasonably “plain” with the backlight off and it’s certainly a gaming oriented board.

• Shinare

If your business will purchase from Amazon or Newegg, then bully for you. Unfortunately, mine will not.

• slowriot

Then your complain is one regarding your employer’s policies and not reflective of the keyboard market. I have a simple solution though: bring your own keyboard.

• Waco

I would love to do that, however, my work environment disallows personal electronics.

I’m stuck with a Sun keyboard and a crappy Apple chiclet keyboard.

• Luckyo

Actually they have gear for our kind as well. It’s just not this mouse, which is clearly aimed at folks that want the bling. I am not into the bling, edgy styling and so on either. So I use G700s, which is wireless, has high end sensor, same polling rate, is powered by singe AA rechargeable battery meaning it’s permanently wireless, as I just swap the battery when one runs out and use a wall charger for batteries.

• synthtel2

[quote<]My ideal "gaming gear" can be used in a client meeting in the morning and a frag session in the evening.[/quote<] I agree completely. It's not like such gear doesn't exist (I use a WASD v2 and a Zowie EC2-A), but somehow it doesn't get so much recognition. That's what continually confuses me, not the existence of this bling-fest stuff. Low-key parts and bling-ful parts can both exist, cool, but the blingy ones getting all the press implies that they really do sell a lot more. 1337 gamer types can't be that big a market compared to us, right....? πŸ™ (Oh, and to the best of my knowledge the PMW3366 used in this and a few other Logitech mice is the finest sensor on the market, bar none, so at least it's got that going for it. Now if Logitech didn't hog all the good stuff....) P.S. Since when is 107 grams light? This might be the lightest thing using the PMW3366 tho. πŸ™

• JustAnEngineer

As a professional, you have plenty of disposable income. As an adult, you aren’t inclined to waste it. The marketing folks want to appeal to the immature consumer that will buy shiny new stuff that they don’t need.
      β€œShiny! Stuff stuff stuff!”

There’s an MX518 attached to my gaming PC right now. I haven’t replaced it because it’s still working well and I don’t feel the need to get a shiny new mouse every 6 months.

• deinabog

I’ll be sticking with my G502 Proteus Spectrum rodents. They get the job done and I prefer that my keyboards and mice to be wired.

• Srsly_Bro

What’s the difference between the g502 Proteus core and spectrum?

• Platedslicer

RGB lighting, looks like.

• DoomGuy64

The mouse has the option to be used wired. The real issue is that you’re paying $150 for to only use the wired option, when you could just buy a straight wired mouse for half the cost. Keyboards on the other hand are completely useless wireless, unless you need remote capabilities, which you’re then better off with a mini keyboard with a touch pad.

• slowriot

Logitech doesn’t expect you to replace your G502 with a G900….

• DPete27

24 hours on a charge!?!? Why so little? At least it’s rechargeable I guess….

• slowriot

Doesn’t particularly surprise me. Greatly increased polling rate, more demanding sensor, and to top it off the G900 likely sleeps itself way, way less often than most traditional wireless mice.

• Den1

24 hours (32hours without LEDs) is only during active use with max polling rate. The sensor goes up to like 12000 DPI – you don’t get the most powerful sensors out without using more energy. Still it could have been much longer, but they were trying to make a very light mouse for a wireless mouse.

And it is usable (with a lower response rate) while charging.

• DoomGuy64

Cool, but expensive. The g700s is a better value, unless you really need an ambidextrous mouse. I’m left handed and use a right handed mouse, because the controls work out better. It’s not hard if you practice at it.

• Snake_Doc

Still using my G700, purchased about 3 years ago. Wouldn’t mind it being a tad lighter though.

• Blytz

I’m on my 2nd G700 now (first died a ‘shit it’s not working mid game’ percussive laser realignment

But I’ll give this a look in when I can lay my hands on one