Nvidia DGX-1 uses eight Tesla P100s to speed up deep learning

Holy mother of GPUs. If you've been reading the news today, then you know Nvidia has launched the Tesla P100, the HPC equivalent of the Schwerer Gustav mega-cannon. But really, who wants just one of those cards for crunching tons and tons of deep-learning data? Take a good look at Nvidia's DGX-1 Deep Learning System.

Nvidia claims the DGX-1 is the "world's first deep-learning supercomputer in a box." It includes eight Tesla P100 cards, all meshed together with the NVLink interconnect. According to Nvidia, the DGX-1 could be 75 times faster than a dual-socket Xeon E5-2697 v3 CPU system when running neural network training tasks, and it can perform up to 170 TFLOPS—a claimed 56 times the performance of the same pair of Xeons. The company says deep-learning users can expect as much as a 12-fold speedup in neural-network training tasks with the DGX-1 compared to a server with four Maxwell chips inside.

There are some other meaty numbers to go with those claims. The DGX-1's Tesla GP100s each have 16GB of HBM2 RAM to work with. The main system is powered by two 16-core Intel Xeon E5-2698 v3 CPUs and 512GB of DDR4 RAM. A RAID-0 array of four 1.92-TB SSDs and dual 10GbE ports round out the main specs. The unit's maximum power draw is rated at a whopping 3200W. Nvidia says interested parties can order a DGX-1 today for $129,000.

• Mr Bill

Mr Slippery will be thrilled to find out that house AI computing modules are starting to get into the affordable range.

• blastdoor

Does anybody know to what extent IBM’s True North (or a future derivative thereof) might be a competitor to this?

[url<]http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/ibms-brain-inspired-chip-finds-a-home-at-livermore-national-lab/[/url<] IBM's approach seems much closer to actually being a neural network as opposed to just emulating one in software. And IBM's approach appears to be *much* more efficient in terms of power.

• chuckula

It’s the typical tradeoff of a circuit that is ultra-customized for exactly one task beating a more general-purpose processor at that one task.

• blastdoor

That’s clearly true…. But I don’t think True North is customized for exactly one task. My (admittedly limited) understanding is that True North is customized to run, in hardware, a specific neural networking package/language. So it’s more that True North is customized for a specific class of problems that may be narrower than the class of problems that can be addressed by a GPU, but it’s not exactly one task.

What I don’t understand is just how narrow the class of problems that True North can solve is. Is it so narrow that True North is not economically viable?

My uninformed hunch is that a derivative of True North will beat the pants off of GPUs for the types of pattern recognition problems that human brains currently excel at relative to computers. For example, my hunch is that a commercialized self-driving car will be run by something that bears a closer resemblance to True North than to a GPU.

But I admit my hunch is uninformed…. I’d love to hear from someone who knows more about this stuff.

• Anovoca

looks like I found my 4k plex server

• brucethemoose

Does that monster even have a hardware video encoding/decoding block? Seems like it wouldn’t be very useful for compute stuff.

• Terra_Nocuus

I’m pretty sure it has the grunt to do it all in software

• DeadOfKnight

I think I found my next gaming PC. I guess I’ll have to keep saving for the new Ferrari. 5K gaming here I come!

• Fractux

This is exactly what Tay was looking forward to.

• albundy

pretty hot deal if it indeed can perform as much as the dual xeons. having that many dual or even quad socket blades will probably net you 3 times that cost on infrastructure, let alone the substantial electricity and cooling costs.

• anotherengineer

“The unit’s maximum power draw is rated at a whopping 3200W. ”

pffffff that’s it!!

My clothes dryer has it beat at 5200W.

• Leader952

[quote<]My clothes dryer has it beat at 5200W.[/quote<] But can it play Crysis?

• Jigar

It can bake it, I guess …

• Ninjitsu

Someone has done this properly after a long, long time. 😀

• Beahmont

Hmm… New Business Ideal! Beahmont’s HPC Center & and Laundromat!

• Deanjo

You have an AMD bulldozer powered clothes dryer?

• anotherengineer

Nope.

But I wish I did then I could fold and dry at the same time 😉

• Captain Ned

He’ll be here through Thursday. Try the veal.

• Deanjo

Ya but it would still probably be quicker to fold by hand. ;D

• ImSpartacus

That really puts the “home” in Folding@home…

• prb123

[url<]https://what-if.xkcd.com/35/[/url<]

• sreams

Tesla P100 for $129,000? Sounds about right. But I’d prefer a P100D for that second motor, and I’d definitely order the Ludicrous Speed option.

• the

Can’t forget the plaid color chassis.

• Beahmont

$129k for eight Tesla P100’s and a lot of other very expensive stuff. 1.9 Terrabyte PCI SSD’s are likely a couple grand each. An interposer for a 610mm^2 die GPU is also going to be stupidly expensive as well. And HBM2 4GB blocks to go on that interposer are also not going to be cheap considering that only 2 of the 3 manufactures have recently started mass production. Add in a “Shiny New Toy” premium and yeah. $129k per box.

And yet, even for that price these things will sell as quickly as they can be made and then some, because 5 of these boxes put you on the Top500 list. 10 boxes would put you firmly in the lower 200’s. 20 boxes could put you below 100 on the list.

$1.29 mil for a lower 200 Super Computer and $2.6 mil for a potential below 100 Super Computer with more or less 848 T/flops of f64 power? They won’t be able to make these things fast enough. Even some of the poorer Colleges all over the world can find 2-3 mil for a Super Computer that fast.

• Waco

If only Linpack meant anything besides a number to brag about…

• Deanjo

Could be worse, think of all the energy and resources wasted doing meaningless coin mining data over the years.

• Waco

True, but in a datacenter doing HPC (well, simulation type HPC workloads), peak FLOPs rarely mean much. Linpack, in particular, very very rarely means anything at all.

Granted, it’s a great stress test, but beyond that? Not many real problems map similarly. It’s almost entirely compute-bound, which describes almost zero workloads in the wild.

• synthtel2

Am I reading this wrong, or would it take only four or five of these to get on the [url=http://www.top500.org/list/2015/11/?page=5<]top 500[/url<]? (85 TFLOPS FP32 per DGX-1) Edit: I was reading it wrong by a factor of two.

• Ushio01

Isn’t the top500 FP64? and yes 5 of these would get you onto the Top500 so if you have $645,000 to buy them I’m sure techreport would be happy to test them for you.

Even better 1 of these boxes could have last got onto the Top500 in June 2011 at position 440 and 6th place in June 2006.

• synthtel2

The descriptor I saw was “full” precision, which I interpreted to mean FP32 (in the usual half/single/double –> FP16/32/64 terminology). If it’s FP64, then eight or nine boxen, which is still very impressive.

Edit: nope, it’s FP64, so 8 or 9 boxen it is. Good catch.

• odizzido

Wonder what the dimensions are on this? 3200W sounds like a lot to deal with.

• arbiter9605

It looks like would be a 3u server rack i would guess. Since that is likely where they expect these to be mounted. Most likely 3u. Just a guess so could be wrong.

Edit, Did some quick thinking using USB ports on left as some what a gage to figure out scale, its about 10 of them, which are half an inch so if that case what it is, then it would be 3u.

edit 2, TPU has on their story its a 3u rack so would guess that is what it will be.

• curtisb

The picture looks like 4U. It’s still a ton of power to cram into that small of a chassis.

• odizzido

ahh good catch. I did not see those USB ports.

• Leader952

Where are the air vents?

Or is this liquid cooled?

• moose17145

See those oval shaped things on either side?

Probably those.

Could also be that front panel has an air gap between the actual air intake vents an itself while leaving the outer edges open for air flow.

Granted this is probably not the best solution for air flow… that being said… with the kind of forced air flow that happens inside a server chassis I doubt it will be an issue. Keep in mind there is absolutely no restriction on the amount of noise these things can make.

• Meadows

A lot of server rooms already have to remove a lot more than that constantly, so I doubt this would tip their scales too much.

• cygnus1

The cooling probably won’t be a problem but I think the average rack PDU might only power 2 or 3 of these, definitely not a full rack of them. That power draw is going to necessitate some extra planning if people are buying more than a few to install together.

• orik

but can it run crysis?

• chuckula

That box looks tough enough to run over Crysis.

• jihadjoe

I remember when this joke was about Doom, then Quake.

Back in college my buddies and I were huge Quake nerds. There was one time when a female friend was telling us about one of the “cool guys” in their department, and my one of my friends’ sarcastic reply was “Yeah, but can he play Quake?” loool

• cmrcmk

Forget running Crysis, this box has enough horse power to disassemble and recode Cyrsis so that even Intel Extreme HD graphics could run it.

• Neutronbeam

That was My first question. ☺

• gc9

But you’ll have to imagine the view.

[sub<](I assume compute cards use binned chips with no video out, and may be missing other fixed-function graphic function blocks such as rasterizers, hardware decoders, etc. Wafer defects can show up anywhere.)[/sub<]